• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever wish you were Sakurai?

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
If I was Sakurai I wouldn't be using dat clone machine that's for sure. Cutting corners doesn't make a good game.

DAMNIT SAKURAI I THOUGHT WE LEARNED FROM OUR MISTAKES!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If I was Sakurai I wouldn't be using dat clone machine that's for sure. Cutting corners doesn't make a good game.

DAMNIT SAKURAI I THOUGHT WE LEARNED FROM OUR MISTAKES!
To be fair, someone as relevant as Luigi not being in the game would be a disgrace, and Lucina is amazing.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well I mean considering he's actually @Sehnsucht
Would I want to be him? Sure.
No matter how I make the game a minority of people will be a prick in my side easily removed with tons of cash :troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
On the one hand....I like my hands. Dude should really not kill himself over this.

On the other; I'd love that power. Sakurai included something many would find ridiculous in Wii Fit Trainer last year and nearly everyone thinks it's a great idea now. What influence this man has whilst he still crushes the dreams of people who wanted the likes of Chrom or Takamaru.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NOOOOOOOOO!

I don't want to deal with a the bad part fan base who will whine all the time about a game not being like one of my past games. [that's not all the Melee fans, just like, the worse half, who I don't see that often here] I don't want people to rage and request hilariously stupid characters. I don't want to kill my self while trying to make a game.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
To be fair, someone as relevant as Luigi not being in the game would be a disgrace, and Lucina is amazing.
amazingly undeserving, you mean? yeah.

the 6 clones brought much content to smash, more than a single character could. it was the obvious and smart decision (i doubt we'd get wolf in brawl if we didn't get Falco in melee...)

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
amazingly undeserving, you mean? yeah.

the 6 clones brought much content to smash, more than a single character could. it was the obvious and smart decision (i doubt we'd get wolf in brawl if we didn't get Falco in melee...)
Amazingly deserving because fire Emblem Awakening was many people's GOTY 2013 and the characters on that game were especially memorable?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There are time where I think I'd be cool to make SSB4 as Sakurai.. but then I think about a whiny fanbase, tendonitis, and the weight of an entire console's most expected game on my shoulders, I think I'd pass.

I have a hard enough time being ol' MaskO. :)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
As a white man who has had chest hair since he was 14, and hair everywhere else before that, I've always wondered what it would be like to be an asian. The marvel of having no body hair even as I enter middle age would be a curious thing to behold.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, no. It's kind of like with rockstars, when they're on stage doing their **** you look at them and say "Maaaan, I wish I was that guy, I mean he is famous, he has great songs to play, everyone admires him, and he probably gets all the girls too!"

Buuuut then we go backstage, outside of the public eye, and in reality this awesome rockstar's life is dominated by schedules, business meetings, contracts, record labels constantly deciding his every move, non-stop touring every day, checking into hotels, making setlists, soundchecks, jamming in the tuning room, writing songs for the next album. All this while trying to live an ordinary life too, you have to fit in timeslots where you can exercise, there are set moments when you and your crew eat every day, trying to keep up a social life, and suddenly you understand that a successful rockstar's life isn't all parties and having everyone adore him, there's a reason the industry breaks so many people.

The analogy works because the pressure and stress that's put on a man like Sakurai is similar, except Sakurai is much more open about his problems than many musicians are. To me it just doesn't sound like Sakurai has a good time for the most part, it sounds like he always feels like he has so much to live up to, and with a whole system arguably depending on him he's no doubt feeling quite some stress too. Not to mention he has to come up with a new update every day, has to make sure everything goes according to the deadline daily, getting things ready for the next reveal/event, etc. That combined with his arm injuries and... no thank you, I'm perfectly fine with who I am.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
As a white man who has had chest hair since he was 14, and hair everywhere else before that, I've always wondered what it would be like to be an asian. The marvel of having no body hair even as I enter middle age would be a curious thing to behold.
It's fantastic. And I'm only half asian.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like this scenario is kind of like the old genie stories where you wish for something only for things to go completely against your expectations.

Upsides: being given creative control over billions of dollars worth of intellectual property and work with the most noteworthy people in the industry.

Downsides: have to regularly put up with one of the most insatiable fanbases in all of gaming and have to deal with people having freakishly high expectations for everything you make.

Honestly, it's a tough call. The good is so good and the bad is so bad that I can't really think of it as anything but a split decision.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
What are you talking about, I am Sakurai. We have to delay Super Smash Brothers for the 3DS to Fall 2015 and Super Smash Brothers for the WiiU to Winter 2016 due to the popular demand of Shrek, Goku, Master Chief (He will be a Samus clone because Samus was designed after him), Spyro, Silver the Hedgehog, and Shadow the Hedghog. To make room for these characters we decided to remove characters such as Isaac, Ridley, Roy, Mewtwo, Ness, Ganondorf, Snake, Shulk, and King K Rool; all characters that were in final, full playable form but brought too much variety to the table. But don't worry, Ganondorf will have a costume for Captain Falcon, Ness will be a costume for Lucas, Mewtwo will be a costume for Zelda, and Ridley will be a costume for Sonic. Everyone wins. Oh forgot to mention, For Glory mode will only allow you to play as Bowser similar to the SDCC. Also I have decided to officially change my name to Samuraii!

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Love his gaming philosophies and he has a certain sense of humor others in the industry seem to lack.

Do I wish I was Sakurai? No. I'm content with myself. Plus, who wants to be in pain all the time doing something they love.

Don't take that out of context, please.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Do I wish I was Sakurai? No I do not. That is just too much work especially with his condition being how it is.

The Fanbase would be the eternal struggle I'd have to deal with, because inevitably in designing a game I'd have to understand that certain members of it would be unhappy with the final product as a whole, etc. Not saying any fanbase is bad, it's just the way it is when it comes to a series full of different entries.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If anything, I wish to work directly under the guy, but not to be him.
I'd rather not be the face that everyone can yell at when something they don't like is in the game.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Wish that I was Sakurai?

Noooo. The poor guy goes through enough stress as it is what, with his arms, the fanbase, and the pressure of a whole consoles future riding on him.

I don't know how to deal with that.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Hell yes!

It would be the most biased game ever though.
Seriously, under my rule, people I give no damns about gonna get cut.

Ain't your roster, its my roster now.

So biased. So Beautiful.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
That would pretty much be impossible for me.

I owe a lot to Sakurai for giving my foundation of video game love. That foundation was SSBM, if I didn't play that game, you wouldn't read this or in any video game website.

How could I be him if I owe to him?

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
This is speaking out of 100% pure ignorance, but I think I could probably handle the criticism of the smash community. I would imagine he gets more love-mail than hate-mail anyway (or at least I REALLY hope).

The idea of being able to use so much resource as a creative outlet (though I know there are limits) and work with so many people I look up to just seems too tempting. I'd say the good outweighs the bad, I mean, there must be something that keeps him working so hard that he's happy with.

As for the calcific tendinitis, I would probably just train myself to write and mouse with my left hand (unless I could STAY left handed, that would be awesome!)

Shin F.

Smash Master
This is speaking out of 100% pure ignorance, but I think I could probably handle the criticism of the smash community. I would imagine he gets more love-mail than hate-mail anyway (or at least I REALLY hope).

The idea of being able to use so much resource as a creative outlet (though I know there are limits) and work with so many people I look up to just seems too tempting. I'd say the good outweighs the bad, I mean, there must be something that keeps him working so hard that he's happy with.

As for the calcific tendinitis, I would probably just train myself to write and mouse with my left hand (unless I could STAY left handed, that would be awesome!)
I'm fairly sure it's effecting his left hand as well, now.

Iwata, man. I'm tellin' ya. Give Sakurai a couple extra years - he gets to beef up the roster all he wants, and gets to take his time so he's not stressing himself so much. He gets all the time he needs to make the roster the best it can be so his character choices aren't as stressful - yeah.
I'd rather be Reggie.

Clearly, you and I must do combat. ¦(
Summit. Any character. Items on high.

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
I'm fairly sure it's effecting his left hand as well, now.

Iwata, man. I'm tellin' ya. Give Sakurai a couple extra years - he gets to beef up the roster all he wants, and gets to take his time so he's not stressing himself so much. He gets all the time he needs to make the roster the best it can be so his character choices aren't as stressful - yeah.

Summit. Any character. Items on high.
Is it? Everywhere I read says it's his right arm.
I don't think I'd want to be Iwata or Reggie at all. They don't really make any decisions on the actual content of the game, and you'd have to deal with Nintendo's current severe financial problems. Their positions are both pure business, which I'm personally not interested in.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
This series wouldn't be nearly as fun if you were the guy that spent 14 years making it @_@

D

Deleted member

Is it? Everywhere I read says it's his right arm.
I don't think I'd want to be Iwata or Reggie at all. They don't really make any decisions on the actual content of the game, and you'd have to deal with Nintendo's current severe financial problems. Their positions are both pure business, which I'm personally not interested in.
But at the same time you can also brag about how you're going to kick Hungryboxes' ass. In the end, doesn't that make it all worth it?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can' tell if you're Jabba or Kyubey. But I can tell you that you can take all of my no's all day. Stress and pain on delivering a game with certain groups behind your back breathing from their computer monitors and basements while typing up their reasons for millions of ways of what they want this game to be is not my cup of tea.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thought of being Sakurai is fascinating when you think about it first, and it starts looking less and less desirable once you give it a deep thought.

Millions of people are anticipating a game you're making... criticising/complementing your every little move.

There is no such thing as surprise or spoilers. You know everything.

You are under immense pressure to deliver a product that will help turn the sales of an ailing system.

Yeah No. Not being Sakurai is a blessing in disguise.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Do you guys really think being Sakurai is great? People can get sick and ill from being stressed. Sakurai, without a doubt, is stressed. People also die from it. It's not like he can go home and relax with his cat after a hard day's work. He rarely goes home. Even if he did go home, his wike is out working on game design anyway. I feel bad for the guy.

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
Amazingly deserving because fire Emblem Awakening was many people's GOTY 2013 and the characters on that game were especially memorable?
But she also deserved her own moveset. Clones are just cut corners. I loved FE: Awakening but clone Lucina was an insult to the franchise.

Top Bottom