• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you consider up air a good move overall?

phantoon

Smash Cadet
maybe it's just me but i find it a hard move to use. i can sometimes finish combos with it and of course the windbox has its uses, i especially like to use it to protect myself from above while trying to recover, as any spike/gimping attempts won't work (generally). however i sometimes wonder how much of a great move and how easy it would be to kill if the windbox wasn't there, its KO power is really good but yeah... what are your thoughts on it? and perhaps suggest some ways to take full advantage of it?

Keep2D

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keep2D
I use Uair to keep my Opponents in the air, G&W has a very good advantage against opponents who are above him, he can hit with Nair, Uair, Chef, UpB, all those moves are viable.

It works even better in teams, since he can save teammates with it.

Not much else to say about Uair, it is the fastest aerial attack G&W has though, so there's that...

phantoon

Smash Cadet
hm i suppose. i do try to keep them airborn but i usually can't capitalize off it. i'll try it some time, thank you

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Definitely. It's one of his defining moves. It's like an upgraded fox up-air that has both the killing power and still offers utility if you miss (intentionally or not). Baiting a long-lasting aerial from them with a short hop u-air -> upsmash or something is incredibly neat since the diving helmet will armor through many attacks. Once they catch on, you can puff into f-air or up b or something more reliable instead. Smarter players will try to fast fall and muster whatever horizontal air speed their character has... this is when you can go directly for the f-air/b-air while feinting and mixing up u-airs and baiting air dodges and whatnot. It's the most fun up-air in the game too imo.

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
It's a good killing/juggling/landing/punishing move... One of his best. ^^

Mr. Odd

Smash Cadet
It is one of the main reasons I play Mr. G&W. It is such a good move to keep people in the air/control the game/spacing. I use it to bait and to set myself up for an down smash or up smash. I use it to continue the air game. I use it to troll people. It can also be used as a kill move, especially on a stage like battlefield or town & city.

BaeBraham

Coffee and Smash enthusiast
NNID
BaeBraham
3DS FC
4184-3853-8896
It's an incredible move for playing mind games, and it's incredibly satisfying when you get the KO with it. I'd have to agree with the majority here and say it's just a wonderful move overall.

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I was expecting people to kind of bash it on it here. I'm glad that isn't the case. It's fun because a lot of people online will try to Falcon Kick or other fast falling downward air attacks and the wind box will stop them cold and that can lead to interesting things. That, and I think that pisses people off too. I love that move, and should be considered a great move.

tol

Smash Rookie
I use it all the time. Seems to work for me. I like to use it to slow down spikes and then punish with an Up-b

ChromaKey

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-3648-0598
It's such a brilliant move. If you land an 8 with judge and pop them on the second hit with uair you can get your juggles going or potentially kill pretty easily. Echoing other folks here mentioning the windbox on this and his dtilt to slow spikes and set up for up smash or ftilt.

Raithen

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-5248-2222
Stupid question, but, you know you can hold left and right immediately after input? This steps up your up-b game immensely.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
It's absolute gold. Especially for characters with fast moving dairs like Link or those with specific specials that can spike (Cap, Ganon, etc.). It "throws off their groove" and can determine a landing point of your choosing that can lead nicely into a usmash or side smash. That, and like others said, it really pisses people off when they can't land.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Its best use is out of throw, and this needs to be put into practice more, especially by myself. It is actually a guaranteed kill on certain character percent combinations if they don't DI the throw. You can chain two of them together on DeDeDe and potentially some other large characters. It's a necessary combo ender for uthrow > custom up B to get high damage on fastfallers at low percents.

Right now I've scared people into dying from it by faking a hoo-hah approach and forcing airdodge, but that is not nearly enough.

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
Like all of this moves it have several uses.

Wind blows out fire.
You can uair to destroying fireballs (mario, luigi) it creates some kind of wind shield around him, destroys the projectile lag free.

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
Yes, absolutely. It's great for keeping people in a tumble, and also great for generally freaking people out.
And if you land to manage that second puff of air, it's a killbox.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Actually, I think Uair might be an ever bigger beast than we think. I've been doing testing, and it seems as if every character has a point where they'll be killed by the D-Throw -> U-Air combo on FD. I got it to work on characters like Samus and Jigglypuff so I'm confident that the whole cost can die to this combo.

Last edited:

DidWellEnough

Smash Rookie
Using U-air at the right time during Lucina/Marth's Dolphin Slash can lead to a pretty satisfying OHKO. It's also incredibly useful for KOing directly below the upper blast line.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
It's a great damaging and finisher move (on the second hit) and if you miss it sort of gets rid of the risk for you. I use it a lot.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I use it to see what my opponent will do when trying to get back on the ground.

Also as an anti-spike

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Haha love the air puffs has anyone ever seen when Yoshi does his down b and you puff him up he keeps the flowing air around him for the rest of his life as if he was still falling haha looked really cool I imagine it's only a forglory lag thing though

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely a good move when it lands the 2 hits...though its kinda hard to get the second hit to connect. Honestly I use it when I d-throw my opponent and bait an airdodge from them which I then punish with u-air.

CaikLazer

Smash Cadet
maybe it's just me but i find it a hard move to use. i can sometimes finish combos with it and of course the windbox has its uses, i especially like to use it to protect myself from above while trying to recover, as any spike/gimping attempts won't work (generally). however i sometimes wonder how much of a great move and how easy it would be to kill if the windbox wasn't there, its KO power is really good but yeah... what are your thoughts on it? and perhaps suggest some ways to take full advantage of it?
very good

Mew2Kid

Smash Rookie
U-Air is generally a good kill move, especially on areas with low ceilings like Halberd and it's funny to see them get KO'd from the windbox and not the actual move itself. But there are two hitboxes for U-Air: the second one kills. It's kind of hard to land because the first hitbox might push them away and the windbox will push them even farther, but if you can land it, it sure does feel rewarding.

Top Bottom