• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you care about your w/l?

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I certainly hope you don't care about your win ratio. I'll let my win ratio hit 1% if it means I get to play a top player a ton of times.

If I play a few matches with someone really good or respectable I'll usually end my games with them by switching to Kirby with the tag G2G BYE!!! and do his wave taunt and SD. I dunno, I think its fun. Sometimes I'll change my tag to 1MoreGame before that. So... there some losses there...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hell no I don't give a **** about it. Despite having about a 45% win rate, I still play this for fun.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Don't care one bit personally. Although I find myself actually playing 1v1v1v1 FG and Team FG more often than 1v1 anyway. Heck, I even prefer For Fun FFA over 1v1 FG most of the time as well. Last I checked I was around 67% or so, but it really doesn't matter, there is always someone better out there. It's how you deal with it that either holds you back or helps you improve. At the end of the day, all you can do is get better if you're a good sport about it. Sore losers (usually people who seek out and farm newer players) who wallow in their defeats will find it hard to improve, and probably won't.

The most important thing though, is to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
It's funny, I care about getting better to win, but I really don't care about my win rate.

It's sad how Nintendo hasn't given us a reason to care. No detailed matchmaking based on skill, no leaderboards, the fact that so many of us don't care about something we could care about greatly shows that they've fallen quite short in delivering the competitive online scene they were apparently trying to.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
It makes me feel good to see it high, but it makes me feel even better to see it really low and know that I have been learning a boat load in a short amount of time. If I'm facing someone who is clearly better than I am and owns me every game, I stay in until they leave.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's funny, I care about getting better to win, but I really don't care about my win rate.

It's sad how Nintendo hasn't given us a reason to care. No detailed matchmaking based on skill, no leaderboards, the fact that so many of us don't care about something we could care about greatly shows that they've fallen quite short in delivering the competitive online scene they were apparently trying to.
Uh, they weren't. This wasn't supposed to be some end-all competitive scene, it's basically just for quick matches. Which it does well.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
If you use Captain Falcon, Sheik, and Diddy quite often you'll have a better chance of winning
Uhno, it depends how good you are. I was a decent Sheik, but I would only win 40% of my matches.

I can't stress this further, just because someone has a high ranking in tiers, doesn't mean they'll always win and only win cuz of it. Heck, I switched from Sheik to LUIGI, a bottom tier character, and took my W/L from 35% to 40% in a couple days.

Basically, I don't care about W/L. I used to main Kirby, and my W/L went down because I faced a guy that always barely beat me, and I won 5 out of our about 50 matches. Been going up since then.

D

Deleted member 245254

To be fair they haven't finished delivering. There's still a tournament function yet to be implimented.

BSP

Smash Legend
W/L ratio means nothing. If you're trying to judge how good you are, who you beat is all that matters.

If you care about your W/L ratio too much, you'll also be too scared to try anything new if it means risking more losses, which is not the way to get better.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
My w/l ratio is something I would try to keep high, but not to an extent of ruining the fun for me or my opponents/friends. In the end it is only a number, irrespective to the actual skill I actually have, nor how much fun we are having, so I would rather keep my friend's opinions of me high, and have fun, over keeping my w/l ratio up.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
I care about mine personally because of the way I play FG: I only stay if I feel like my opponent can offer me something I can learn better or I lose. I never farm bads to make sure I don't inflate my %.

But that's why you shouldn't take anyone else's seriously. Anyone can farm bads and inflate it high.

MightyTro

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-4767-9238
All I care about is learning to be a better player and to have fun.
If someone beats me I love to play them as much as I can! I don't care about the ratio, heck! I know I'm not a good player, but I'm already learning a lot. About the limitations of my character, what people expect/don't expect, how to time certain combos and attacks.

Hell, one match I just did I was playing Mario Vs. Samus, and somehow I managed to perfectly time both a cape to reflect her charge shot and kill her, AND then on the next stock finish her of with a forward+a aerial dunk of the stage.

And some people really don't know how to handle G&W's bacon. Sure it's a weak projectile, but it is a little random and sometimes going in close and hitting them with the pan actually throws people off guard. (and doing weird stuff with G&W in general is a good idea since he's very erratic, but still strong in his own way. You just need to lure your opponent into slipping up and punish hard)

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Went from 60% win to 54% win just battling the same guy over and over. I was absolutely wrecked but I felt an improvement every match and I managed to beat his C. Falcon as Palutena in the end, and then he left.

It just looks 'nice' but it's nothing I care for.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I care about the W/L because online is my only source to measure myself at the moment. Yes, lag makes this more inaccurate, but I am not fortunate enough to live in an area with an active Smash 4 scene (although, I'm looking to contribute in making one). Currently, my best irl source of battles is my two brothers, but they get annoyed with how much I beat them. You'll probably find a similar case for most For Glory players.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Uhno, it depends how good you are. I was a decent Sheik, but I would only win 40% of my matches.

I can't stress this further, just because someone has a high ranking in tiers, doesn't mean they'll always win and only win cuz of it. Heck, I switched from Sheik to LUIGI, a bottom tier character, and took my W/L from 35% to 40% in a couple days.

Basically, I don't care about W/L. I used to main Kirby, and my W/L went down because I faced a guy that always barely beat me, and I won 5 out of our about 50 matches. Been going up since then.

What you said was correct, it depends how good you are. I just said you have a better chance of winning.

Jdm262

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jdm262
I don't care about it that much. If anything, I use it as motivation. I know that I'm not the best and that I have more losses than wins, but I learn from my losses and I'm getting better every day.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
I play to learn, not to win. W/L ratio means nothing.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I care in the sense that it helps me gauge my own skill level and where I still need to improve. I've literally lost countless times to people who are better than me. However, fighting them after losing a few times does tend to turn in my favour eventually or at least have a more even match. It does wonders for me. I always view losses as a fault of my own. With this said, I have been improving greatly and it shows in more higher win rate.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Nope, seeing as I'm very bad right now I just use online For Glory to practice and the win loss ratio is completely useless to me.

its ~15%.

Last edited:

Timbers

check me out
It's impossible to care about W/L? I mean, it's exclusive only to you; no one else can see it, and you're not ranked based on that ratio. It's also way too easy to exploit that ratio with how FG is designed (find only bad players, continue playing to inflate W/L)

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I can't say I care too much about my w/l ratio, honestly. Due to a lot of other factors (lag mostly), my w/l ratio doesn't really represent my skill level too well. Therefore, I usually just disregard it.

Spurreon

Smash Rookie
NNID
xXAlphaSoulzXx
3DS FC
5413-1073-9427
I don't really think the W/L ratio accurately determines a player's skill so I disregard it. I could easily have a 10% w/l due to not trying to win and goofing around in for glory but still be a fairly decent player.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
I used to care because I kept losing more than I was winning and I didn't wanna accept that I'm really not that great at this game. I'm pretty decent. This even made me play less FG than I did before because I was afraid of messing up my ratio.

However after reading some posts in this thread and some rethinking, why does it even matter? It's a game which is created for enjoyment and no one else but me will see my score. And it's good to play against better people so I know what I'm doing wrong. Even if my win ratio is below 50% I'd rather take that than a "fake" ratio (like the time I played against this really bad player and won 9 times in a row with barely any effort.)

Last edited:

Karthage

Smash Cadet
I care a lot because FG 1v1 is the only mode I enjoy playing. Right now I have it at exactly 90% after 610 matches.

It's a bit stressful but it kept me focused.

I'm moving onto guilty gear Xrd now, hopefully it has a better online than smash

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I used to care, but then I began looking at FG as an experimentation ground to improve on characters I'm good with, and get better with characters I wanna learn.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
Obviously I do want to improve my win record, but I want to improve that by getting better, not by only playing people who are worse than me. Therefore I don't mind having a mediocre win rate on FG because I've been paired up with some incredible players that I can learn a lot from. I would never have adopted new strategies and increased my tactical/defense game if I'd only played easy people. It's because I got my butt kicked that I had to change gameplay to improve.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
So it seems like it's split almost halfway about people caring for their Width/Length. Just make sure you get in, get yours and have fun. That's all that matters.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
idk how to delete a post, ignore this comment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom