• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
When you download WiiSCU 0.23 (the zip file), there should be a folder called "apps". Drag (or copy) that to your SD card, run Homebrew Channel, and then load WiiSCU. Scroll down to "Update Shop Channel" and the rest should be straightforward.

I don't use 7-zip so I dunno what to say :(

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I got New Super Mario Bros Wii and wanted to play it on my wii. It asks for a wireframe update and I heard that you can just play it through Gecko OS. I tried that but they thing says "This game requires IOS 53 Install IOS53-64-v5149.wad?"

I'm I supposed to click yes?

Also, I'm only using wireframe 3.3 right now.

DQP

Smash Ace
i just use startpatch to bypass disc updates. it's not the safest way, but in my opinion it's the easiest way.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
When you download WiiSCU 0.23 (the zip file), there should be a folder called "apps". Drag (or copy) that to your SD card, run Homebrew Channel, and then load WiiSCU. Scroll down to "Update Shop Channel" and the rest should be straightforward.

I don't use 7-zip so I dunno what to say :(
Sucks that I don't have Homebrew Channel then. And my Wii's been updated up to version 4.1, so I can't install it through the ways I've seen it done before.

7-Zip also keeps stopping with a "not implemented" action when I try to drag "apps" onto the SD card.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to wait until Nintendo decides to update again. Thanks anyway ^_^

Chepe

Smash Lord
I got New Super Mario Bros Wii, which prompted an update on the Disc Menu. Since I know better than to update through Nintendo...

I downloaded the safe 4.2 menu installer and it just got done a while ago... but the Disc Menu still says I need a Wii System Update. Anyone know why? The Wii Shop Channel works through the update now, which came across as strange. Is the NSMBW update something just for the game, similar to Brawl's mandatory update when it first came out?

In other words, should I go through with the prompted update even though I now have menu 4.2 from the safe firmware update? I would appreciate it if someone answered as soon as possible, please...

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
There's a 1 in 1000 chance you'll brick from the disc...but to be honest I'm not sure why NSMBWii is giving you that.

I'd just go through Gecko OS for now.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Thanks for the suggestion, I did just that and got to play it. I still want to know if it's normal that it asks for the system update even though I have menu 4.2... Anyone else who just got NSMB Wii, updated through this thread, and is still prompted for an update from the game?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Ok, I have a somewhat serious problem...Gecko OS is not reading my file patch codes!!! I've had 2.1 (for textures) and 3.5.1 (for music) before the update, and B+ always worked fine. Now it's not loading the codes...I think the error message says "data dumped" or something like that. I also lost all my music and texture hacks when updating to B+ 5.0, so I'm very angry about the whole thing. I upgraded to 4.2, got the HBC back, but now Gecko OS won't load B+. HELP PLEASE!!!

Chepe

Smash Lord
Do you still have the text file called "gameconfig" or something like that at the root of your SD? Because when I got the HBC back yesterday after updating I forgot to put that file back in and it didn't let me load codes either, but putting that file back into the SD solved the problem. I'm currently using 5.0 RC1 B+ if that helps any.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Do you still have the text file called "gameconfig" or something like that at the root of your SD? Because when I got the HBC back yesterday after updating I forgot to put that file back in and it didn't let me load codes either, but putting that file back into the SD solved the problem. I'm currently using 5.0 RC1 B+ if that helps any.
gameconfig.txt is still there, and I have two seperate sets of file patch codes, but they worked fine on the same card before the update...I believe that is the cause of this, or the RSBE01.gct I got is incomplete

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Thanks for the suggestion, I did just that and got to play it. I still want to know if it's normal that it asks for the system update even though I have menu 4.2... Anyone else who just got NSMB Wii, updated through this thread, and is still prompted for an update from the game?
I did some research and the update might be a) either the boot2 version (please don't install) or b) you need a specific IOS (maybe IOS53) installed to play it.

Is it safe now to upgrade for nonhackers?
Not really, Nintendo hasn't removed their boot2 update and plans to keep it in (idiotic thinking imo), the only thing is it's a 1 in 1000 chance your Wii will brick from this update so if you'd like to play the lottery go ahead and do a System Update.

Ok, I have a somewhat serious problem...Gecko OS is not reading my file patch codes!!! I've had 2.1 (for textures) and 3.5.1 (for music) before the update, and B+ always worked fine. Now it's not loading the codes...I think the error message says "data dumped" or something like that. I also lost all my music and texture hacks when updating to B+ 5.0, so I'm very angry about the whole thing. I upgraded to 4.2, got the HBC back, but now Gecko OS won't load B+. HELP PLEASE!!!
What version of Gecko OS are you using? 1.9.1 is recommend for Brawl, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 will crash

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I did some research and the update might be a) either the boot2 version (please don't install) or b) you need a specific IOS (maybe IOS53) installed to play it.

Not really, Nintendo hasn't removed their boot2 update and plans to keep it in (idiotic thinking imo), the only thing is it's a 1 in 1000 chance your Wii will brick from this update so if you'd like to play the lottery go ahead and do a System Update.

What version of Gecko OS are you using? 1.9.1 is recommend for Brawl, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 will crash
1.9.1, and I know that for a fact...I think there's a problem with the RSBE01.gct. Can anyone link me to a File Patch 3.5.1 RSBE01.gct? I have looked for it, and the place I got my 3.5.1 isn't there anymore :(

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Good thing I havent been on my Wii recently Im at 4.1 I think I want to mod my Wii so I'm gonna stop updating it.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
1.9.1, and I know that for a fact...I think there's a problem with the RSBE01.gct. Can anyone link me to a File Patch 3.5.1 RSBE01.gct? I have looked for it, and the place I got my 3.5.1 isn't there anymore :(
Crap, nvm, that's the pirate-related stuff people aren't supposed to post here...am I right?
I just want a link to an unchanged 3.5.1 RSBE01.gct to see if that's the problem...that's all. I don't wanna cause any more trouble than that.

DQP

Smash Ace
go to the brawl plus website to download the gct. 3.5.1 included.

whether or not you can downgrade from 4.2, that depends on what hacks you have on your wii. i can downgrade, i've got startpatch and cIOS mods up the wazoo. as for the average brawl+ user, i don't think downgrading is possible unless you undergo the tedious and boring process of installing all that crap on your wii. i only did it for my game backups, but if you're just using homebrew to play brawl+ then downgrading is inadvisable.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
I have the homebrew channel installed but no apps for it. I want to play GC backups so i can have a modded melee but the apps (mioslauncher, and cios) arent working. Mioslauncher doesnt boot and when I launch Cios my wiimote or GC controller doesn't register. Im guessing downgrading to 4.1 will solve this problem?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
go to the brawl plus website to download the gct. 3.5.1 included.

whether or not you can downgrade from 4.2, that depends on what hacks you have on your wii. i can downgrade, i've got startpatch and cIOS mods up the wazoo. as for the average brawl+ user, i don't think downgrading is possible unless you undergo the tedious and boring process of installing all that crap on your wii. i only did it for my game backups, but if you're just using homebrew to play brawl+ then downgrading is inadvisable.
Ok, thanks a lot, DQP! I wasn't sure which file patch that gct included

DQP

Smash Ace
to MaDWaK: find the cIOS PatchMii Installer on WiiBrew, uninstall cIOS, then reinstall it. If that doesn't work, well, then there's always google.

to darksamus77: Happy to be of service. Keep those .brstm creations coming.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It wouldn't be "it's easy to downgrade to 4.0 or 4.1" as much as most of the easy ways to downgrade (Wanin's Firmware Updaters) download stub IOS's now.

I have the homebrew channel installed but no apps for it. I want to play GC backups so i can have a modded melee but the apps (mioslauncher, and cios) arent working. Mioslauncher doesnt boot and when I launch Cios my wiimote or GC controller doesn't register. Im guessing downgrading to 4.1 will solve this problem?
It's against forum policy to talk about this, sorry =\

Shadowkid

Smash Rookie
I think someone is suing Nintendo for ruining hacks! As in, they are suing because of the updates! If enough people sue, Nintendo will HAVE to give in.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Can I use StartPatch to block the Wii Sports Resort / New Super Mario Bros updates? I installed that particular patch but haven't gotten a new game to test if it works or not. I used the unofficial updater to "upgrade" to 4.2. (I think it upgraded - Wii Shop works...)

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
StartPatch will work. Both that and Gecko OS will work for blocking disc updates.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
to MaDWaK: find the cIOS PatchMii Installer on WiiBrew, uninstall cIOS, then reinstall it. If that doesn't work, well, then there's always google.

to darksamus77: Happy to be of service. Keep those .brstm creations coming.
You don't have to worry about that, my good sir

DQP

Smash Ace
nintendo's cause for blocking hacks (anti-piracy) is quite reasonable. if someone is suing because of the update, it's probably because it bricked their wii and they're charging $80 for repairs. this brings back the case of Galoob v. Nintendo in 1992, where nintendo sued galoob inc, the creator of game genie, arguing that game genie violated nintendo's copyright. they lost. if people sue nintendo for blocking hacks, then i think nintendo would lose again, but that could change with the advent of the internet.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Well, I've managed to bypass every obstacle I've faced to get Brawl+ back in order, except one...Hanenbrow is on the stage selection screen, and it freezes right after you select your characters. I thought that it wasn't supposed to be there, I got the RSBE01.gct from Plussery, and the music hacks work fine, the strap loader's good, and I just wanna see if all the textures worked too. I got quite a few textures, maybe they're the problem? Or is there a specific code that axes Hanenbrow? Please respond ASAP, I know a lot of us are having a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow...er, today

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Well, I've managed to bypass every obstacle I've faced to get Brawl+ back in order, except one...Hanenbrow is on the stage selection screen, and it freezes right after you select your characters. I thought that it wasn't supposed to be there, I got the RSBE01.gct from Plussery, and the music hacks work fine, the strap loader's good, and I just wanna see if all the textures worked too. I got quite a few textures, maybe they're the problem? Or is there a specific code that axes Hanenbrow? Please respond ASAP, I know a lot of us are having a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow...er, today
Haven't tried out Hanenbow, the only thing I could possibly think of is a music swap code or a bad stage texture.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Haven't tried out Hanenbow, the only thing I could possibly think of is a music swap code or a bad stage texture.
It wasn't in my version of B+ before the update...and I have one stage texture hack I've never had before, so maybe that's it. I'll check back if it doesn't

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Nope, still freezes completely, is there a code to axe Hanenbow? It was on mine before I lost my data. Plus, my al and rp folders are empty, is that a problem? Maybe a bad texture hack? This is bugging the crap outta me cause everything else works fine!!! All the music hacks work, just haven't had a chance to see if the textures work.
EDIT: Would someone mind uploading their working private folder directory to Mediafire/Megaupload? That's all I need to see if it's just that I don't have all the files necessary or if it's one of the new textures I got

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
So pretty much any wii thats updated from 4.2 cannot run bootmii anymore? That's an inconvenience D=. Thank god i wont be updating anytime soon, unless i'm forced to by a game I buy and gecko cant bypass it

DQP

Smash Ace
So pretty much any wii thats updated from 4.2 cannot run bootmii anymore? That's an inconvenience D=. Thank god i wont be updating anytime soon, unless i'm forced to by a game I buy and gecko cant bypass it
no, that's not quite true. updating will remove it, but you can reinstall it. you're right, though, you don't have to update (Thank you, startpatch)

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Attention!

NSMB Wii will NOT update your wii to 4.2!

I tried it myself. I bought a CD, played it when my wii was 4.0, it told me to make a system update. It was like dropping a 100-ton brick on my anticipation, but I wasn't going to let some silly update prevent me from playing my new game, so I made a backup of my wii using BootMii, and was prepared to use Brawl to reinstall the HBC (or use Gecko through brawl, either way works), and updated.

However, I didn't go to 4.2. I checked the Wii Settings and I was at 4.1! NSMB Wii will force you to update, that is true. But not by going through WiFi or internet! The Update is inside the CD itself. If you get a message to update your Wii, update it through the Disc Channel instead of going to system update. You will be able to play NSMBW with 4.1, and I know I am able to (currently at world 8-7 after using warp cannons lol). I think they got the message that 4.2 sucks **** after it bricked so many innocent Wiis, either that or NSMBW was released too soon after 4.2.

I'm still perfectly able to use music and texture hacks alongside with BBrawl, and also enjoy NSMBW at the same time.

darksage1331

Smash Cadet
Attention!

NSMB Wii will NOT update your wii to 4.2!

I tried it myself. I bought a CD, played it when my wii was 4.0, it told me to make a system update. It was like dropping a 100-ton brick on my anticipation, but I wasn't going to let some silly update prevent me from playing my new game, so I made a backup of my wii using BootMii, and was prepared to use Brawl to reinstall the HBC (or use Gecko through brawl, either way works), and updated.

However, I didn't go to 4.2. I checked the Wii Settings and I was at 4.1! NSMB Wii will force you to update, that is true. But not by going through WiFi or internet! The Update is inside the CD itself. If you get a message to update your Wii, update it through the Disc Channel instead of going to system update. You will be able to play NSMBW with 4.1, and I know I am able to (currently at world 8-7 after using warp cannons lol). I think they got the message that 4.2 sucks **** after it bricked so many innocent Wiis, either that or NSMBW was released too soon after 4.2.

I'm still perfectly able to use music and texture hacks alongside with BBrawl, and also enjoy NSMBW at the same time.
LOL, I remember this ridiculous update giving me crap. I also use Bootmii to start up my Wii, It was kind of funny that day all the homebrew users on youtube were starting to protest XD But funny enough that very same day someone made a homebrew compatible with 4.2 which im using, Overall im glad the homebrew community cares enough :D

DQP

Smash Ace
nintendo may as well just give up trying to kill off hackers. every time nintendo releases an update that blocks homebrew, twiizers finds a workaround. and preventing piracy, while a reasonable cause, is very lofty, and i would go as far to say that it's impossible.

but yes, there are two reasons that they put updates on discs (good observation, by the way). One: to enforce updates. and two: to provide people without internet with the update.

Top Bottom