• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

do i need to jump cancel chaingrabs with marth or sheik

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
just wondering if the standing grab has more or less range than the regular one..and whether jumpcancelling is going to make it harder or easier to grab.

marthsword

Smash Ace
It does have effects on range for other characters though. Pichu's standing grab has less range then his Jump canceled grab.

It can have other effects though. For samus there is noticeably less ending lag in her dash grab to name an example.

In conclusion always Jump cancel grab with marth and sheik.

Ares726

Smash Ace
For Sheik it's not so much an issue of range as it is an issue of lag. The dash grab animation lasts a really long time if you miss the grab. Jump canceling gives you the range of a dash grab with the speed of a standing grab. That's why you jump cancel.

The only characters you shouldn't jump cancel grabs with are Samus, Link, and Young Link. Because their dash grabs are faster than their standing grabs.

loungeact404

Smash Cadet
Marth's dashing grab can grab you from a very ridiculous range if you space it properly, where as the dashing JC grab cannot grab from as far away. There are situations where you're going to want to JC grab with Marth (if you're closer or what have you) and situations where you'll want to dash grab.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
one question then loungeact..will i never need to dash grab to be able to reach fox or falco while chain-grabbing them? because sometime when they di far away at certain % i have trouble landing the grab..i'm not sure if i'm not starting my dash soon enough after throwing them..or if i need to just regular grab in those situations.

pdk

Smash Lord
just get into the habit of JCing always, helps later on

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Marth's dashing grab can grab you from a very ridiculous range if you space it properly, where as the dashing JC grab cannot grab from as far away. There are situations where you're going to want to JC grab with Marth (if you're closer or what have you) and situations where you'll want to dash grab.
Never dash grab the lag isn't worth it if you miss and most experienced players are going to make you miss.

<---- has been punished enough to learn that :)

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
All my grabs are jump-cancelled. I don't even think about it. It's only a chore when you're first learning it and trying to implement in your game.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
WTF u tryna call me a noob. um last time i remember noone in the frikin power rankings even jump cancel. my point was its a chore to implement something that isnt extremely nesscesary. BTW it doesnt even help ever character and the point of this thread is to answer whether u need to jump cancel for chain grabbing which i answered so maybe u shuld stay on topic Noob >8(

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Are you kidding? Who doesn't jump-cancel? Try reading some of the responses above yours.
HTML:

pdk

Smash Lord
WTF u tryna call me a noob. um last time i remember noone in the frikin power rankings even jump cancel. my point was its a chore to implement something that isnt extremely nesscesary. BTW it doesnt even help ever character and the point of this thread is to answer whether u need to jump cancel for chain grabbing which i answered so maybe u shuld stay on topic Noob >8(
man, this is like linksausage all over again

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I personally am not really sure of how to apply a JC. I've seen the AHTP section on it, but it still confuses me, as my character (lol, Marth) doesn't appear to have lower lag. Actually pushing the button quite obviously makes him jump.

Ares726

Smash Ace
To JC a grab, press up on the control stick (to jump) and press Z (to grab). You press them at basically the same time. You can tell a difference when you JC.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
about ken..that's part of what bothers me...

i'm not a pro and i have no problem jump cancelling all my grabs..so why would ken use a regular dash grab if it's not necessary to do the chain throw..or at the very least makes the chain throw easier

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
about ken..that's part of what bothers me...

i'm not a pro and i have no problem jump cancelling all my grabs..so why would ken use a regular dash grab if it's not necessary to do the chain throw..or at the very least makes the chain throw easier
Remember that the game has many aspects... One of those aspects are "mindgames"... It kinda would get your opponent thinking "What is he/she doing???" Then again, I'm just blurting stuff out... xP

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
JC grab, everytime. It becomes less of chore and more of a habit once you start doing it.
It comes out quicker, and has less lag afterwards. Also on characters like Marth the standing grab's hitbox extends further from his body than a dashing grab.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
get used to jump cancelling...

the only time it might not be useful is when dash grab has more range and you're pretty sure you're going to get the grab.

i believe peach players should not jc their grabs when chainthrowing ffers at high %s?

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Isn't there a point in marth's chaingrab against fox where he has to quickly dash the other way and JC grab? I think it's if fox DIs behind marth at around 32%?

Ares726

Smash Ace
Why does everyone forget Yoshi? -_-
I wasn't positive that Yoshi's standing grab was faster than his dash grab. That's why I didn't mention him.

Like KevinM said, this thread is over. JC because it's better. Don't be a noob and whine about it being "hard to implement". Just do it. You JC for the same reason you l-cancel, to reduce lag. The only exceptions are for the extended grabbers (Samus, Link, Young Link, and Yoshi).

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
notes to people reading: sheik's chaingrab requires a dash grab for di away

and marth requires a jc grab at a point in the chain grab if they di behind you...

pockyD

Smash Legend
Like KevinM said, this thread is over. JC because it's better. Don't be a noob and whine about it being "hard to implement". Just do it. You JC for the same reason you l-cancel, to reduce lag. The only exceptions are for the extended grabbers (Samus, Link, Young Link, and Yoshi).
This is just not true. For most characters, the dash grab has more range (and for some characters it has the same come-out speed as standing grab), and the uses for the extra range have been well documented in this thread (peach chaingrab, sheik chaingrab for DI away, etc.) so there is absolutely on reason for you to completely wave off the dash grab as useless and pointlessly call people "noobs" and whiners for using dash grab.

Top Bottom