• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I have to Wavedash?

RCD

Smash Cadet
my friend tells me that in order to be good you need to wavedash because its faster i know how to wavedash ill occasionally use it to edgehog quick or after a d throw for a f smash but arent there other things like fox trotting or something or jump cancelling or crouch cancelling what is the best because ive noticed ken doesnt wavedash around alot but the best marth in my area does like none stop wavedash fmash

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
You answered your question in your own post. "ive noticed ken doeesnt wavedash around alot"

You have to find your own application for wavedashing. Experiment - see what works. Obviously, using it to edgeguard is good. For marth, you want to crouch cancel your dash alot in order to perform any move (like a fsmash).

Scar

#HarveyDent
At least know how to do it -- with experience maybe you'll notice when to apply it and then you'll be happy to have it.

Like with a Samus doing the Windmill of Fury, wavedash back and fsmash o yeas.

Mistah Mohawk Man

Smash Rookie
I dont WD its really overrated IMO i find it more useful to play other mindgames like dashdance spotdodge etc etc

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
It's not important to use as a movement technique for Marth. Meaning you can traverse a stage just as quickly by crouch canceling a run. DieSuperFly hardly ever wavedashes (if at all) and he is quite good. He dash dances quite a bit and seems to use it in place of wavedashing.

Wavedashing is a good tool for spacing, and for baiting people and then wavedashing backwards. You can also combine dash-dancing and wavedashing to make Marth move in really deceiving ways. For instance (your opponent is in front of you) dash forward => wd back => dash forward => wd back => wd forward => dash forward to JC grab. This causes Marth to dash in place for a while, then suddenly move across the stage a surprising distance. I frequently use this kind of tactic to try to deceive my opponent into making a mistake which I can then punish from a long distance.

Learning how to wavedash well isn't going to make you a good player though. It's more important to master L-cancelling, spacing, and FAIR chains IMO.

fadedfyter

Smash Rookie
WD back to f-smash is a good move to have in your arsenal, and also WD back to edgehog is essential for every character. Other than that, I don't really WD much.

Husband

Smash Lord
You dont have to use it to be good but you should know how to use it and when to. By you NOT knowing when and where to use a tatic, it will only be holding you back from what you could be doing.

spikey151

Smash Rookie
Speaking of wavedash I always end up shielding a bit after i wavedash and it messes me up. Anyone have any tips to solve this?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Speaking of wavedash I always end up shielding a bit after i wavedash and it messes me up. Anyone have any tips to solve this?
Take your finger off the trigger after pressing it. That's probably obvious but I don't know what else to tell you.

spikey151

Smash Rookie
Take your finger off the trigger after pressing it. That's probably obvious but I don't know what else to tell you.
Yea I've tried that already (duh im not that stupid) but I still get the same results. Well, I just read a post and it reminded me that L/R buttons are pressure sensitive so maybe I should just press L/R in halfway instead of all the way till it clicks. And on a side note, what in the world does SHFFLing mean?:confused:

fadedfyter

Smash Rookie
You need to press L/R all the way down for WD to work. Just press it and release it really fast, like what you do with X/Y when you SH.

pdk

Smash Lord
WDing makes dthrow -> fsmash a lot more reliable when the victim is at higher damage percents (i.e. when you're trying your hardest to land that fsmash) and for covering short distance so you can land a tipper it's usually more effective than running a bit and CCing (since you can't CC the starting portion of a run)

Selphious

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you don't have to wavedash to be good, obviously, but it does help quite a bit. I use it for edgehogging/guarding, mindgames, wavedash - throw, and for wavedash - fsmash. It helps a lot for setting up aerials and for dodging, but as I, and other people have said, it's not essential. I assume you don't waveland if you don't wavedash also, and wavelanding also helps a good bit. I would advise using it.

pdk

Smash Lord
you don't need to know SHing to wavedash, there's a good ~15 frames between the start of a jump and the ending of the lag from a WD (assuming you time it as fast as possible) so you can take your time releasing the button

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
WDing was kinda hard before, but characters just have different timing. Marth was exceptionally easy for me and so is Link, and more. Anyways, IMO SHing is harder to do because when I'm in a fast paced match, I really don't think about how hard I press the X or Y button. I guess these things come more naturally to people than others. You'll learn to WD sooner or later, it just takes practice. I can WD better, further, and faster than any of my friends. Its all through practice. Heh, but like others have said, you don't need to WD to be good. I get myself handed to my friends almost every time.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Wavedashing can hurt you if you don't know what you're using it for, or if you use it for the wrong reasons. You don't have to wavedash to be good.

Excuse me if 10 other people said that already ;)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Since no one else has mentioned it I would point out that Wavedashing out of shield is also a large portion of why many players wavedash in the first place. Azen does this alot. No other move (besides rolling or jumping forward) allows you to move horizontally out of shield. Any other way and you have to wait until the shield is down.

KazeOfTheWind

Smash Rookie
Wavedashing with Marth doesn't really help his movement out alot. For Marth, it's mainly used to space yourself from an opponent for maybe an FSmash, or used for mindgames to get your opponent to attack you and fail. It can be useful to learn though, especially against a Falco (wavedash out of shield when he approaches you with SHL). Id say the most useful technique to learn right now is SHFFLing.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
Well, it helps his movement in that he becomes difficult to read. Dash dancing ---> pulse dashing ---> grab/attack can really throw off your opponent. Basically, wavedashing becomes critical if the other people you play with use it. You really have to look at yourself and ask "how seriously do I play this game?"

Oh, and wavedashing is by no means the epitome of tech skill and doesn't make you godly. It is simply another tool to use. The player with the most tools, has the most options, and therefore, will win more often.

pockyD

Smash Legend
pulse dashing is probably just mixing up WD with regular dashes, dash dances, and the occasional walk for more erratic movement

Top Bottom