• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do any of you love Smash but don't really care for Nintendo?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

I'll admit there are some series that are a part of my childhood like Pokemon, and it'd be some kind of weirdness if I had never played the Mario games...but to this day I can't really say that I really favor Nintendo's franchises that much. I've always been a SEGA fan-boy and I honestly just have no interest in many of the Nintendo franchises.

Smash though, is intense, fun, and really is unmatched in the category it singularly reigns king, in terms of "brawlers" or however you would verbally associate Smash's genre. I did try Playstation All Stars but I thought it was awful. In any case it's not like I hate Nintendo I just don't really have any vested interest in any of the franchises or their characters. It just wasn't the stuff I was most interested in while growing up. Essentially I play Smash because it's a great game, it almost has nothing to do with the franchises the characters come from, charming as they all may be.

Anyone else similar to that? How many of you ONLY like Smash because of the franchises in it? Maybe Smash got you INTO certain franchises? Leave a comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Only Nintendo franchises I'm particularly invested in are Zelda and Pokemon, and I was on hiatus from Pokemon for a good four years or so. I haven't played many recent Mario games, the last one I remember being Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros.: whichever came first.

Back in the N64 days I was into DK and Star Fox, and I've been looking to get into Metroid if I can find a copy of the Prime Trilogy.

And of course, Smash.

mr_mann55

Smash Rookie
I would say you're in the minority. What makes Smash great is the diversity in the rosters. Smash 4 is looking to be incredibly diverse and there is something for everyone. I would like to see a copycat game from Sony or Microsoft or anyone else. What i mean is taking the mechanics from Smash but using their IP's. Playstation All Stars tried to be different when then should have just kept the formula the same.

As far as people that are only a fan of the game because of the franchises i will say that i haven't ran into many in a long time. By now at my age (28) the people that i know have been playing since 64. And while at first you played the game because of the franchises it become more than just picking your favorite character, you picked the character you are the best with. My main is game and watch and i never played his games previously.

I wonder how many people here have played EVERY franchise? Including what we know already about Smash 4 roster.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Ew...when you don't love all the Nintendo franchises...you're getting half the enjoyment from the game, Smash's gameplay feels nice, but it would be absolutely nothing without the Nintendo chars. Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, DK, Yoshi, StarFox, Kirby, Kid Icarus...I love 'em all!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Up till recently I've greatly dislike Nintendo for making the wii and polarizing gaming with it's silly motion controls and casual games, worst yet with them being fairly anti competitive I couldn't forgive Sakurai and Nintendo for limiting brawl. However with their recent gestures of embracing the competitive scene my opinion has started to change.

I play smash because I think it's the best fighting game ever made. I pick Sheik because I originally thought she was the best character in Melee and stuck with her because of how much effort I had already invested in her. I used Sheik in Brawl because I like her fighting style more then Melee's and after doing a ton of research I had a strong feeling that I made her my own. I will continue using Sheik because of Melee and Brawl not because of Ocarina of time.

Edit: Oh and because of Sheik I love ninja's now not the other way around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I would say you're in the minority. What makes Smash great is the diversity in the rosters. Smash 4 is looking to be incredibly diverse and there is something for everyone. I would like to see a copycat game from Sony or Microsoft or anyone else. What i mean is taking the mechanics from Smash but using their IP's. Playstation All Stars tried to be different when then should have just kept the formula the same.
Yeah I don't know how you got that I don't like character diversity. The diversity of the roster is great.

I'm just saying I have never been in to Nintendo or its characters. That isn't to say I don't find them charming in Smash, and interesting as roster picks with all their various and interesting abilities, I just don't have much interest in them as characters and I never have.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I like Nintendo; Most of my systems are Nintendo and they are a big part of my life.
Playstation too to a lesser extent. But when I'm not playing on a Nintendo system I'm usually playing PC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's actually Smash 64 that got me vested in Nintendo in the first place. Before that I was a Sega fan, and as such had some resentment towards Nintendo(dumb old console wars).

I knew of; Mario, DK, Yoshi, Link, Luigi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff and recognised (but didn't really know) Kirby...and then I was stumped. I vaguely recall knowing Fox too but I'm not sure if that's because he IS a fox and I just guessed his name or that I genuinely recognised him. Leaning towards the former.

Hell; I actively HATED Yoshi back in the day, and that only subsided when I was forced to play him on Smash 64...ironically he's now my most beloved video game character of all time now. As a result my teenage years were filled with a new found interest in the history of the Nintendo franchises found in Smash.

I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't quite as game changing, but pleased you can still enjoy Smash regardless.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Up till recently I've greatly dislike Nintendo for making the wii and polarizing gaming with it's silly motion controls and casual games, worst yet with them being fairly anti competitive I couldn't forgive Sakurai and Nintendo for limiting brawl. However with their recent gestures of embracing the competitive scene my opinion has started to change.

I play smash because I think it's the best fighting game ever made. I pick Sheik because I originally thought she was the best character in Melee and stuck with her because of how much effort I had already invested in her. I used Sheik in Brawl because I like her fighting style more then Melee's and after doing a ton of research I had a strong feeling that I made her my own. I will continue using Sheik because of Melee and Brawl not because of Ocarina of time.

Edit: Oh and because of Sheik I love ninja's now not the other way around.
Oh, look! A post that misses the astonishing amounts of core games for the Wii! Maybe if you looked past 'OMG MOTION CONTROLS ARE BAD SO CASUAL' you could enjoy yourself with absolute classics like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Strikers, Twilight Princess...and of course Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but apparently that's another story.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Oh, look! A post that misses the astonishing amounts of core games for the Wii! Maybe if you looked past 'OMG MOTION CONTROLS ARE BAD SO CASUAL' you could enjoy yourself with absolute classics like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Strikers, Twilight Princess...and of course Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but apparently that's another story.
can he have his opinion?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Dude, I don't agree with his opinion about the Wii either but you don't see me putting him on blast for it.
Let it go.

zwalk2

Smash Rookie
I've always been a big Nintendo fan, and when the first Smash Bros. came out, I was playing Pokemon, Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64, for the Americans, I guess) and Kirby heaps, so this game was like a gift from heaven. As I'm sure it was to most of us.
But hey, like you said, it's a great series just gameplay-wise, so it doesn't really matter if anyone's not playing it for the characters. And it also does introduce people into new game series, like it did me for Zelda and Fire Emblem. And even Metal Gear, thanks to Brawl.

Not everyone likes Nintendo. Hell I have friends who have never heard of Zelda, much less play it.

It is what it is, man.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Heh, while I haven't played all of the wii titles I feel I've played enough to have a opinion. From the list you listed I've played Galaxy 1-2, Mario kart wii, twilight princess, and brawl. All of which besides Mario kart I think are pretty good games (blue shells ruin the fun for me) but I wouldn't put them on any list or suggest them to anyone besides Brawl. I did enjoy galaxy and the prime series though. Actually come to think about it beside smash metroid prime might be the only gamecube/wii game I would suggest to someone. Also I know not all games with motion controls are going to be instantly casual but the overwhelming majority are. I try my best to judge each game independently but whenever I'm force to use motion control I always feel it's a barrier between me and the game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually didn't mind the motion controls, but I can see why people may not like them.

As for the topic itself, I only knew about Mario and Pokémon when I played Melee for the first time, but I got to know a lot other series thanks to Smash. I got into the Zelda and Fire Emblem series thanks to Smash and are now some of my favorite video game series.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I like their franchises, but I strongly disagree with their business policies. I'm not talking about Smash, I'm also talking about the horrible mix-ups with DRM, their still-suicidal third-party support, their insistence on inferior hardware...

...but at least they're still better than Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I didn't truly get into Nintendo until the hype for Brawl started, so that would be when I was 11 years old, I think.

Before that, I had grown up with the Playstation. Spyro the Dragon was the first franchise I ever became a fan of (with Crash Bandicoot following very shortly after - every year, my brother got the new Crash game for Christmas, while I got the new Spyro game). I also had a few Disney movie spin-off games, like Hercules and Toy Story 2 (both absolute gems, by the way, I totally recommend them). I also got into Rayman when I was young. I played Rayman 1 a lot in my uncle's house, and I must have rented Rayman 2 on the PS one like, 6 times. And I bought a copy of Rayman M at one point.

I did get a Game Boy Colour though and had that growing up. I had Pokémon and Super Mario Land. And then I got a Game Boy Advance SP as well as a DS, and now a 3DS. I always had handheld Zelda games too, and one of my uncles had Kirby's Dream Land, which I played a lot of.

Then I eventually got an Xbox, along with the PS2, but never could afford a GameCube. But then I jumped in on the Wii at launch and since then Nintendo has become my favourite of the big three, especially right now.

I have caught up on a lot of the old Nintendo games through emulators and such, so I'm pretty well versed in a lot of Nintendo franchises now. As far as Smash Bros goes, the only franchises within it that I really don't know much about are Earthbound and Fire Emblem.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I like their franchises, but I strongly disagree with their business policies. I'm not talking about Smash, I'm also talking about the horrible mix-ups with DRM, their still-suicidal third-party support, their insistence on inferior hardware...

...but at least they're still better than Sony and Microsoft.
Horrible mix-ups with DRM? You must mean making one call to Nintendo customer support and getting back all of your digital purchases, ONE CALL. The third-parties being like that has never been Nintendo's fault, people won't buy crappy ports when they can play Nintendo games. And this happens with Nintendo's 'insistence on inferior hardware...'

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I feel like the Wii definitely stuttered, but I'm very happy with the 3DS library. The Wii U looks to be getting strong as well, I don't regret buying one with the MK8 bundle. I do wish they'd stop ignoring Metroid though :/

Nintendo doesn't always do what I want, and I think they're dragging some series through the mud right now (I'm looking at you, kirby), but as a whole I like where they stand.

I didn't buy a new xbox or ps4 because nobody does local multiplayer like Nintendo.

In terms of actual franchises, Melee got me into Fire Emblem, and I've loved that series so much I'm now developing a game in that genre. I'll probably end up getting Mother on the Wii U solely because of Smash as well. But I had definitely been a Nintendo fanboy before I knew about Smash, Red version was my first console game, and my first home console experience was with a 64.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Horrible mix-ups with DRM? You must mean making one call to Nintendo customer support and getting back all of your digital purchases, ONE CALL. The third-parties being like that has never been Nintendo's fault, people won't buy crappy ports when they can play Nintendo games. And this happens with Nintendo's 'insistence on inferior hardware...'
to be fair, if you don't live in a 1st world country you are ******

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
>classics
>skyward sword
no pls

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In my opinion, Nintendo can afford to stay behind a generation in the hardware specs (though the Wii U isn't even that - it's more in between the PS3 and PS4, really). Their developers have such an amazing sense of art direction and style that even if the actual power of the console is behind the others, their games tend to stick out more in the graphics department, especially since they've closed the gap to some degree with the Wii U hardware. And since they always have a unique twist or a few with their consoles now (Wii Remote, Wii U GamePad, etc), I feel like they are the best option, objectively, for a game console. The raw graphics power and third party arguments are not very valid to me, because PC is the king on both of those fronts, and always will be.

While my brother bought a PS4 and I am looking forward to Uncharted 4 and LittleBigPlanet 3 (and will probably get The Last of Us Remastered soon), Wii U just has a ton more games to look forward to. So I'm focusing on PC, Wii U, and 3DS this generation, with Sony being my extra outlet.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
to be fair, if you don't live in a 1st world country you are ******
If I live in Venezuela and I could do it, anyone can :/ This place is as third-world as it gets.
>classics
>skyward sword
no pls
Yes plz, outstanding use of motion controls, amazing story, lovable characters, go back to Ocarina Of Dated, please.
As @ ChikoLad ChikoLad said, Nintendo kinda closed the gap on this generation, where the Wii was FAR behind the PS3 and Xbox360, the Wii U's more than a little closer to the competition, I haven't seen a single game on the 'next-gen' consoles (IGN-ese for they pay us more so we don't mention the Wii U when talking about next-gen) that looks as visually stunning as Mario Kart 8.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Even though Wii U is my prefered console out of the 3, I still love my PS4. I really dislike the Sony and Xbone nubs that assume that the Wii U sucks especially when they have never used the console.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
There's no way Smash would have quite the same significance for me if it wasn't centered around Nintendo characters, as Nintendo is the reason why I care about video games, and it's made my favorite games and franchises. Obviously it wouldn't be the same without the gameplay, but the game definitely carries more weight with me because of the Nintendo characters I know and love.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Smash got me into Metroid, F-Zero, Earthbound, Starfox, Fire Emblem (now my favorite game series), Ice Climber, and Kid Icarus.

But it was Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon that got me into Smash.

So, I'm basically a Nintendo fanboy who also just happens to be a PC gamer. I don't like everything Nintendo does (cough region locking cough), but I will continue to support their systems and franchises until they utterly stop making games I like.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Having to buy the same damn game at least two different times
  • Losing all of your save data if your internet glitches a bit during a system transfer (I'm still deeply hurt by having all of my Pokémon slaughtered when I had to get a new 3DS because I happen to have a horrible router.)
That's what I mean by mix-ups.

As for third-party support, that's absolutely Nintendo's fault. See "inferior hardware".

And while it's closer to the competition this time, it's still below the competition. Face it, a lot of people are damn shallow and only care about having the cream of the crop in graphics, and that's hurting Nintendo. I'm not like that, but a lot of people are. A lot. And like I said, it hurts any chance of multi platform releases, which are a big part of what kept the GameCube from going completely under.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Face it, a lot of people are damn shallow and only care about having the cream of the crop in graphics, and that's hurting Nintendo.
Again, not Nintendo's fault, I would rather have inferior hardware than Nintendo selling themselves out to the dudebro community. If Nintendo's going so under...then why is it almost universally agreed that they won E3 2014?

Last edited:

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Again, not Nintendo's fault, I would rather have inferior hardware than Nintendo selling themselves out to the dudebro community.
actually, nintendo losing sales because they aren't doing what people want kind of is their fault.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Honestly don't think there will be a Nintendo in a few years Wii U blows compared to the PS4 and XBOX One. 3DS is doing well but that isn't gonna make a huge difference, gaming has evolved and has overtaken Nintendo.

Anyway Smash helped me be aware of other franchises such as Zelda,F Zero,Fire Embleme. I was already growing up with a Gamecube anyway so i was pretty well informed on characters. Seeing Mario and Bowser on the cover for Melee got me hype if my Uncle never gave the game to me i wouldn't be so hooked.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Again, not Nintendo's fault, I would rather have inferior hardware than Nintendo selling themselves out to the dudebro community. If Nintendo's going so under...then why is it almost universally agreed that they won E3 2014?
Except the dudebros are the ones with all the money. Did you know Nintendo took yet another financial loss this past quarter? Their E3 momentum's gone, no matter if they won or not.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Honestly don't think there will be a Nintendo in a few years Wii U blows compared to the PS4 and XBOX One. 3DS is doing well but that isn't gonna make a huge difference, gaming has evolved and has overtaken Nintendo.
Yeah, who needs masterpieces like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 when you have draconian DRM, Kinect and false hype through pre-rendered videos?
actually, nintendo losing sales because they aren't doing what people want kind of is their fault.
If people have become dumb, I wouldn't like Nintendo sacrificing artistic integrity and becoming dumb with the market. God, I support capitalism...but I don't look at things through those shallow money-glasses you people see everything through, artistic integrity and actually making decent content mean nothing to you?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, who needs masterpieces like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 when you have draconian DRM, Kinect and false hype through pre-rendered videos?

If people have become dumb, I wouldn't like Nintendo sacrificing artistic integrity and becoming dumb with the market. God, I support capitalism...but I don't look at things through those shallow money-glasses you people see everything through, artistic integrity and actually making decent content mean nothing to you?
You do realize that using better hardware doesn't automatically make what they produce worse, right? Because that's what it sounds like you're trying to say.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
If people have become dumb, I wouldn't like Nintendo sacrificing artistic integrity and becoming dumb with the market.
"it's the dudebros' fault that nintendo is currently failing financially"
are you even thinking?
in case you haven't noticed, industry is all about money making. no matter how friendly and nice these companies seem, it's all about getting paid. nintendo will fall to its very lowest instead of keeping "artistic integrity" if it is about to die out.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
2 games isn't gonna sway the audience, a lot and i mean a lot of gamers have drifted away from home gaming. Notice how smart phone emulators are common, people prefer playing on the go that is why the 3DS is doing so well.

XBOX One and PS4 are entertainment systems that can do many things other than play a game, the WiiU is a typical console for one purpose more people are willing to buy a console that can do much more. I'm already thinking of getting a PS4 for Kingdom hearts 3 and Tekken 7. Don't care for XBOX but its clear that they're still strong while Nintendo is crumbling away and will by the looks of things seize to exist.

Masterpieces? Your opinion not a fact if anything the announcement of Kingdom hearts 3 will take that title.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
ONE game boosted Wii U sales by more than 600% in Europe. That was Mario Kart 8.

And people seem to forget that Nintendo has been sitting on a large pile of cash for a rainy day. They can weather a lot of trouble while they keep experimenting with things.

Plus, the console wars won't even be won by consoles in the long run, PC gaming just offers so much more from the dudebro stance of graphics and performance.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
2 games isn't gonna sway the audience, a lot and i mean a lot of gamers have drifted away from home gaming. Notice how smart phone emulators are common, people prefer playing on the go that is why the 3DS is doing so well.

XBOX One and PS4 are entertainment systems that can do many things other than play a game, the WiiU is a typical console for one purpose more people are willing to buy a console that can do much more. I'm already thinking of getting a PS4 for Kingdom hearts 3 and Tekken 7. Don't care for XBOX but its clear that they're still strong while Nintendo is crumbling away and will by the looks of things seize to exist.
Nintendo will never go away...I know you want them to, but it's not gonna happen :) Gamers will still play Nintendo.
You do realize that using better hardware doesn't automatically make what they produce worse, right? Because that's what it sounds like you're trying to say.
I'm not saying that...but it certainly seems to be an excuse to deliver lower-quality games because they look realistic and gritty, as much as I love Playstation...I do know that there will never be a game on a Sony console that has as much quality as a first-party Nintendo game, that's just how it is.
"it's the dudebros' fault that nintendo is currently failing financially"
are you even thinking?
in case you haven't noticed, industry is all about money making. no matter how friendly and nice these companies seem, it's all about getting paid. nintendo will fall to its very lowest instead of keeping "artistic integrity" if it is about to die out.
You must be one of those people who see movies and videogames as a business rather than art, Nintendo delivers quality, and most people don't like quality, that's all there is to it.

Oh, and I'll just laugh at the thought of comparing overmilked Disney Anime cash-in from an ungrateful company that loves to forget who's console saved them from going out of business in the first place, to something like a Mario game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom