• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC Discussion/Thoughts

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
I've yet to see the comparison made yet, but I truly wonder if Nintendo knows what they are capable of with regards to DLC for Smash. For example, Smash Bros. already is a huge game and more than likely will rake in the big bucks. It also has a hardcore fan-base who play competitively. Now, I've heard arguments before stating that DLC will never happen due to the fact that adding new characters would disrupt the balance. I would like to compare this to League of Legends. For example, League is one of the top competitive games ever and has added multiple characters to its roster. Like the WiiU and 3DS League is capable of undergoing patches! So my question is, how could Nintendo ignore the opportunity to sell Skins (Palette swaps, as we now have seen can replace the base model ex: Bowser Jr. or Olimar/Alph) or Add new characters to the mix that would bring new life to a game destined to die off slowly (Brawl...). But the fact is, Smash for Wii U/3DS has a good mechanics system and has the potential, so why would there ever be a need in the future to make a new Smash Bros. when you can simply breathe new life into it with new stages/skins/characters updates!? I believe Nintendo understands this therefore knowing it would be an absolute moronic choice not to create DLC for Smash bros. I see Nintendo already jumping on this cash cow with example #1. Amiibo figures. Feel free to discuss, I would like to hear what others think about this ordeal.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Mewtwo is all that's missing from the rodter (imo), so I would've loved if he were to be dlc.

As for anything else, I can see quite a bit of costumes instead of colors for dlc, and by costumes I mean like the Olimar/Alph thing (with 4 alt colors). Like, say, Daisy for Peach, pichu for pikachu, OoT Zelda for Zelda (kinda weird considering how many blond Zelds there are, Sakurai picks the one Brunette), etc

But yeah, I kinda hope that the approach is 1 or 2 characters, with 1 or 2 stages, a few new costumes, and maybe a new mode.

(also I want a patch that makes smash run online)

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I'm guessing they will release a day 1 DLC with the Wii U version that will be free to people who own both versions. This will be good for people who buy both and will make them some money.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing they will release a day 1 DLC with the Wii U version that will be free to people who own both versions. This will be good for people who buy both and will make them some money.
I'm with you on this. I assume if the dlc does come out, which I'm guessing it will as nintendo loves dlc lately (and money) it will release on wii u's release. I think it will still cost money though. I'm never buying a wii-u but I will buy the dlc if its for the 3ds.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I hope so, I hope it's not DLC we have to wait half a year or a year for, like the MK8 DLC.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I hope so, I hope it's not DLC we have to wait half a year or a year for, like the MK8 DLC.
Exactly. XD this. Although, I'm a bit pissed about that DLC too. (I don't even own a wii u) But. I do know that Raccon mario or whatever and like racoon peach shouldint be dlc. It's the same damn characters in costumes. That's dumb. If links there why not zelda and ganon or something.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty confident it won't happen at all, myself. Definitely not character DLC.
Why are you so confident it wont happen? Fire emblem awakening/mario kart 8 had dlc, and were both very popular titles. I think the reason nintendo left out some brawl characters were so they could make some more cash, since they want money like any other big company.

Kokopops

Smash Rookie
Eh.. I'm not so sure about DLC. I think some of you guys give Sakurai way too much credit.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
There has been DLC with alot of Nintendo games recently. Hyrule Warriors will have it, Pikimin had it, Mario Golf had it, Mario Kart 8 will have it, NSMBU had it. The only big Nintendo title as of recent that lacked DLC was 3D World. I'd be shocked if they don't release some sort of stage expansion or extra palette swaps (Dixie for Diddy, Lucas for Ness, Wolf for Fox etc.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why are you so confident it wont happen? Fire emblem awakening/mario kart 8 had dlc, and were both very popular titles. I think the reason nintendo left out some brawl characters were so they could make some more cash, since they want money like any other big company.
Didn't have directors slamming on DLC...

gamer8

Smash Lord
Honestly I don't see Sakurai doing it... I'd love it of course, anything to have Mewtwo back. Alt costumes and stages would be great as well but I just do not see him doing it. I'd like to be wrong, but I can't see Smash bros. with dlc.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm waiting for someone to scour the 3DS version for data. If Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie and Chorus Men are in there...then I'll re-hype myself.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
Didn't have directors slamming on DLC...
TBH the direct quote from Sakurai back in 2013 simply stated, "DLC is not in the cards, but is a possibility." That alone hints, "Were not planning DLC right now cause were still trying to finish the game and make it the best possible, but DLC will be considered once were all finished." I don't see how that is considered slamming or deconfirming it?

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I don't think Mariokart ever had DLC before so I figure if MK can then so could Smash.

Not to mention Sakurai didn't give a definitive "no" to the question when asked

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
TBH the direct quote from Sakurai back in 2013 simply stated, "DLC is not in the cards, but is a possibility." That alone hints, "Were not planning DLC right now cause were still trying to finish the game and make it the best possible, but DLC will be considered once were all finished." I don't see how that is considered slamming or deconfirming it?
Not to mention Nintendo had never really tried it, and has already stated how wildly successful the mario kart dlc has been. I'd think it'd be silly of them to ignore the possibility of potential extra revenue.

I just think they hadn't considered it in the past, probably felt they had a massive roster with a few potential characters who weren't quite ready for the final release, are totally able to keep up with the release date demands with a more than satisfactory roster (despite what you may hear today!) and can now keep their title evergreen with perhaps new DLC for a year or two to come.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
I don't think Mariokart ever had DLC before so I figure if MK can then so could Smash.

Not to mention Sakurai didn't give a definitive "no" to the question when asked
Amen, I see it the exact same way. Nintendo isn't stupid, they realize the gaming market is changing... Gamers are changing, they're always wanting something new and fresh. It's somewhat the reason we don't see single player only campaign games as commonly seen in past years. Even those games now days either have some sort of add on content to further the story or some sort of online system put in place. End game content is becoming a whole new beast.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Sakurai makes the most popular/ highly requested characters DLC (paid/ need to have both versions/ consoles)...
That's such a bird move on his part.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There was a different quote from awhile back that basically amounted to Sakurai comparing DLC to the devil. Doesn't sound like he'd just change his mind on something like that.

Anyway, we have no way of proving that he did change his mind, or even if he was just told to say that for business reasons. Anything positive Sakurai has said about DLC means nothing.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Eh.. I'm not so sure about DLC. I think some of you guys give Sakurai way too much credit.
It isn't about Sakurai per se. Given Nintendo's current trends, i think dlc in one form or the other is almost a given. If it's anything like MK then... We're in for a treat.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
There was a different quote from awhile back that basically amounted to Sakurai comparing DLC to the devil. Doesn't sound like he'd just change his mind on something like that.

Anyway, we have no way of proving that he did change his mind, or even if he was just told to say that for business reasons. Anything positive Sakurai has said about DLC means nothing.
Here's the other thing - Sakurai is hired like a lone gun warrior with a knife between his teeth sent to infiltrate Shadow Moses Island - once that mission's done, he goes home and doesn't do much until the next title. From that point on, the ball is in Nintendo's court. While they may consult with him about DLC, and certainly would put the previous team on it, it's not exactly Sakurai's baby anymore the moment it hits retail.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie

Yes, but I believe he was referencing to Paid DLC, not all DLC is monetized. I just think that having the ability to patch your game and/or add newness to it is a no brainer to participate in. Either way at the end of the day, the more "New" is added to a game, the more it gains publicity which leads directly back to the main purchase.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Something tells me if DLC was made, we wouldn't only get 4 characters.

This game is going to be around for around 7 to 8 years, and Smash is going to be played a lot throughout those years.

I could see maybe a character pack of 5 every year.

Msucho Sushimole

Smash Rookie
I think DLC characters could expand the lifespan of the game if spaced correctly they could come in packs like MK8's where you could get like 2 characters 4 stages a couple skins for preexisting character and some new trophies for 11.99, if nintendo does give us DLC it wont be to bleed its fans out of every penny it'll be either reasonably priced or free so im all for it! It would also be nice if they added skins or color pallets for free in updates like Injustice did

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Excited for DLC obviously, but after all these leaks and crap, I'm glad to have the full roster and can't wait to enjoy it, I'll worry about DLC later.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Here's the other thing - Sakurai is hired like a lone gun warrior with a knife between his teeth sent to infiltrate Shadow Moses Island - once that mission's done, he goes home and doesn't do much until the next title. From that point on, the ball is in Nintendo's court. While they may consult with him about DLC, and certainly would put the previous team on it, it's not exactly Sakurai's baby anymore the moment it hits retail.
You don't think if it was something Sakurai hated he would campaign against it? Sakurai could single-handedly sabotage SSB's sales with three words: Don't buy smash. He will always be in control.

Yes, but I believe he was referencing to Paid DLC, not all DLC is monetized. I just think that having the ability to path your game and/or add newness to it is a no brainer to participate in. Either way at the end of the day, the more "New" is added to a game, the more it gains publicity which leads directly back to the main purchase.
Sakurai isn't in it for the money, judging from his crippled hands. He's in it to make a complete game that everyone will enjoy. That is partially why Sakurai has distain for DLC, since it creates negative feelings and someone, somewhere will be upset because of it. Nobody will feel scammed if no DLC is released.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
If Sakurai makes the most popular/ highly requested characters DLC (paid/ need to have both versions/ consoles)...
That's such a bird move on his part.
The Wii U needs sales, that would drive sales. It wouldn't be completely unreasonable, and it would solve the marketing lag problem. With Amiibos it's already clear they're looking for money spinning ventures, and ultimately if we as a community start walking away in numbers because we feel "screwed", does it really matter to them? The target market is the demographic that we were when Smash 64 and Melee came out (and who some were when Brawl came out), not who we are now. There is a new, larger demographic fitting that target market now, and they'll lap it up like they're lapping up this Skylanders stuff.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't make sense to me to charge for newcomers/stages due to the problem of not having and having, there are ways around that. But I am mainly interested with the introduction of the palette swaps having separate models/files/sounds. It made me think of how skins are sold on League of Legends, yet don't affect gameplay, but can still produce hype and a sense of "Newness".

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You don't think if it was something Sakurai hated he would campaign against it? Sakurai could single-handedly sabotage SSB's sales with three words: Don't buy smash. He will always be in control.

Sakurai isn't in it for the money, judging from his crippled hands. He's in it to make a complete game that everyone will enjoy. That is partially why Sakurai has distain for DLC, since it creates negative feelings and someone, somewhere will be upset because of it. Nobody will feel scammed if no DLC is released.
This the same Sakurai who openly trolled the largest character support community for a full year only to be hyping their character up as a stage boss.

To be honest, the man can make games, but I really don't think he cares about players feelings. If he's been told to find ways to pay the bills, I'm not sure he'd look past options like NFS figurines, DLC and other such money spinning nonsense... oh wait, Amiibos, rumours of DLC and releasing the game across two consoles months apart...

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I get where you're coming from, but this is ultimately wrong. He would not deliberately sabotage his baby - even if others think a business decision may make sense that he disagrees with - he could still provide input, even if he's not directly programming future hitboxes - nor does he have to walk away saying he made an unfinished product. If anything, this will help delay him from going through the ordeal of making another Smash Bros. right away.

I think you're looking at this entirely wrong because you'd like to, not based on any real evidence.

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie

Yeah but who's really calling the shots? The Director, or Nintendo. I guarantee that it was Nintendos idea to have Bandai Namco assist with the game because they knew the importance of Smash being delivered in a timely manner, hence the first time in Smash history that the first release date given wasn't pushed bak as usual. Nintendo wants to profit as much as possible, any business should. I was curious as to why the newest Mario Kart didn't have every course from all MK games and become this HD grandaddy of a game! Now it's simple, the answer DLC. Nintendo i believe is and should milk every thing it can, we are talking about a company who has so many doomsayers claiming they're on their last leg. Nonsense, opportunities like these are what can keep Nintendo trucking.

Last edited:

SmashK.O.

Smash Rookie
As long as it isn't locked content from the disc/cartridge I'm all for it, especially since there's a lot of potential as it pertains to expanding gameplay time and the character roster.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Yeah but who's really calling the shots? The Director, or Nintendo. Nintendo wants to profit as much as possible, any business should. I was curious as to why the newest Mario Kart didn't have every course from all MK games and become this HD grandaddy of a game! Now it's simple, the answer DLC. Nintendo i believe is and should milk every thing it can, we are talking about a company who has so many doomsayers claiming they're on their last leg. Nonsense, opportunities like these are what can keep Nintendo trucking.
Not to mention they have the solid ground of a clearly very complete product to start from - no one should complain about DLC. You don't have to purchase it!

Top Bottom