• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC Discussion/Thoughts

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
As long as it isn't locked content from the disc/cartridge I'm all for it, especially since there's a lot of potential as it pertains to expanding gameplay time and the character roster.
I agree with you 100 percent. XD As long as it's not like street fighter x tekken.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I could see a Veterans Pack.
(Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Snake, Mewtwo, and Roy as full characters and Pichu and Young Link as costumes for Pikachu and Toon Link Respectively.)

Maybe a Villains pack too
(Ridley, K. Rool, Wart)

Though I hope they're all free or at least free for a time. But if there's no DLC at all, I will be very disappointed.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
To continue your comparison, League's balance is cyclical at best and generally poor, the metagame is forcibly shaken up by changing basic game mechanics every so often, and the only way it can be called "solid" is because you always know which champions will be picked. Hey, kinda like Melee, but with mechanic changes.

But really, I'm getting whatever DLC happens, I've accepted that. I still think characters should be free, as those are a big part of the game, but really, whatever they ship, I'll end up getting it.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for DLC and I'm sure there'll be some forms of it later on whether it be characters or other modes and such. Hopefully the DLCs has decent release times unlike Mario Kart 8's.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've updated my signature to show my support for certain DLC characters. Yes, I want Wart. SMB1 has Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach. SMB3 has The Koopalings. I want Wart for both SMB2 Representation, and as a nod to one of my favorite classics.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This the same Sakurai who openly trolled the largest character support community for a full year only to be hyping their character up as a stage boss.

To be honest, the man can make games, but I really don't think he cares about players feelings. If he's been told to find ways to pay the bills, I'm not sure he'd look past options like NFS figurines, DLC and other such money spinning nonsense... oh wait, Amiibos, rumours of DLC and releasing the game across two consoles months apart...
No, he didn't. The Ridley fanbase brought that on themselves.

I get where you're coming from, but this is ultimately wrong. He would not deliberately sabotage his baby - even if others think a business decision may make sense that he disagrees with - he could still provide input, even if he's not directly programming future hitboxes - nor does he have to walk away saying he made an unfinished product. If anything, this will help delay him from going through the ordeal of making another Smash Bros. right away.

I think you're looking at this entirely wrong because you'd like to, not based on any real evidence.
You have nothing to go on, while I know that he's said his true feelings on DLC. Nintendo wouldn't do something this risky. For all they, or anybody, knows, Sakurai has been waiting to find something to lash out on.

Yeah but who's really calling the shots? The Director, or Nintendo. I guarantee that it was Nintendos idea to have Bandai Namco assist with the game because they knew the importance of Smash being delivered in a timely manner, hence the first time in Smash history that the first release date given wasn't pushed bak as usual. Nintendo wants to profit as much as possible, any business should. I was curious as to why the newest Mario Kart didn't have every course from all MK games and become this HD grandaddy of a game! Now it's simple, the answer DLC. Nintendo i believe is and should milk every thing it can, we are talking about a company who has so many doomsayers claiming they're on their last leg. Nonsense, opportunities like these are what can keep Nintendo trucking.
Namco approached Sakurai during KIU's development, so it's already apparent who's actually calling the shots. Sakurai hijacked Brawl's development right after the announcement, too, not that they had any progress.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Sakurai's a heck of a video game artist (kirby's dreamland had a lot of importance to me) but he's not some sort of espionage superhero like you're making him out to be.

Brawl was dangled like a carrot to lure him back. I'm sure Smash 4 was as well. We have more recent interviews to go off of as well as massive success for Nintendo in the very recent past. I'd really call it case-closed.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I could see a Veterans Pack.
(Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Snake, Mewtwo, and Roy as full characters and Pichu and Young Link as costumes for Pikachu and Toon Link Respectively.(

Maybe a Villains pack too
(Ridley, K. Rool, Wart)

Though I hope they're all free or at least free for a time. But if there's no DLC at all, I will be very disappointed.
I don't see this many characters being dlc, although I would love both these packs.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sakurai's a heck of a video game artist (kirby's dreamland had a lot of importance to me) but he's not some sort of espionage superhero like you're making him out to be.

Brawl was dangled like a carrot to lure him back. I'm sure Smash 4 was as well. We have more recent interviews to go off of as well as massive success for Nintendo in the very recent past. I'd really call it case-closed.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Nintendo can never be sure how Sakurai will act outside of posting menus for the PotD. Nintendo's business men who have never met him especially. It's pretty dang obvious that they don't want to do any risky moves whatsoever. So why even come close to angering a gaming legend? 'Sides, most of the old farts are voting against DLC anyways.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Nintendo can never be sure how Sakurai will act outside of posting menus for the PotD. Nintendo's business men who have never met him especially. It's pretty dang obvious that they don't want to do any risky moves whatsoever. So why even come close to angering a gaming legend? 'Sides, most of the old farts are voting against DLC anyways.
Where?
You mean the wild success and support that came from the Mario Kart DLC which basically increased the game's content by 33% for a fair price?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Would it not be reasonable to think that Nintendo could pressure Sakurai into producing character DLC after observing global demand? If they stand to gain significantly from it, why wouldn't they do it? :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Where?
You mean the wild success and support that came from the Mario Kart DLC which basically increased the game's content by 33% for a fair price?
Konno has always been focused on the modern and the new. He jumped on the Wifi idea long before Sakurai did, that's for sure. He likely wanted this to happen, unlike Sakurai. The aforementioned old farts don't like to interfere with game development.

People keep saying DLC is obvious and yadda yadda yadda, but you know what else was "obviously" going to get DLC? SM3DW. There's absolutely no chance of it happening, as the development team stated at launch that DLC wouldn't happen.

Would it not be reasonable to think that Nintendo could pressure Sakurai into producing character DLC after observing global demand? If they stand to gain significantly from it, why wouldn't they do it? :p
Or it could just upset him.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm pretty sure Nintendo wishes to avert the trend begun by EA and friends of adding a heap ton of DLC for no reason.

I mean, sure, a few characters is reasonable, but maybe they fear going overboard, who knows.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I think the idea of having four exclusive characters for each version (Dr Mario/Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr/Dark Pit for 3DS, Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie/Chorus Kids for Wii U) that are unlocked in the other version upon connecting the two makes complete sense given the evidence (like Dark Pit not showing up on the website despite his Palutena's trailer appearance, despite Lucina also being unlockable: characters only show up on the website if they're in BOTH VERSIONS) and teasing by Sakurai (Greninja's Mewtwo hands, ALL OF THE RIDLEY). Also, connecting the two will result in both versions having the SAME roster.

That's my theory.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
That's my theory.
Hypothesis, it's called a hypothesis.

Seriously though, they may do anything, but there's no point starting to bank on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually planned for this and announced tomorrow that there would be 4 new characters in the Wii U version, and you needed to link them to make them appear. The best part is they could do it by a trailer, reveal characters not in the game, and actually give people a shock.

What is important though is to not bank on it. If it happens, that is nice, but don't assume it'll happen, because at this point the vast likelihood is that this is it, this is the roster.

oscuras

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2105-8721-7551
I still think the most likely is the 3DS/WiiU connectivity. It's the only way where both games will get the same roster. It's like the Pokemon games, they have the same pokedex, but some Pokemon unobtainable in 1 version, but obtainable in the other, etc. It's a good incentive for "true" fans who buys both versions, which is what Nintendo wants. And it may boost WiiU sales too, especially in Japan, since most of them have a 3DS but not a WiiU.

Then again, but thankful if we have the big 4/5 at least, Sakurai could just stop with this roster, but if the connectivity is true, that means he's making more effort to create more characters for us. Don't forget that he started on Smash4 IMMEDIATELY after completing KI:U, and he still has the arm injury.

Top Bottom