• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sorry, Scoli.
But I'm in the party that doesn't see Snake back because just about nothing has changed in his favor from when the MAIN roster was chosen in my eyes.
We'll see, and he certainly has his fanbase.
I just am not part of it.

Edit:
I'd say the same although I'd have Krystal in there too, Maybe instead of Dixie since she tends to rank higher in fan polls (I think they are somewhat representative of the final results, most of the votes will be coming from places like Smashboards, Gamefaqs, casual fans I feel are less likely to vote)

I'm also not sure on where K Rool and Inkling stand cause of those mii costumes, it just seems weird they'd have them if they were going to add them to the roster
When Krystal hasn't been seen since 2006, as far as we know isn't going to be in SF-Zero, and a lot of people clutch to an over decade old game that is largely despised by the fanbase for an arsnenal.... she's got an absence longer than K. Rool without the massive popularity, overt potential as a fighter, and level of importance to her series.

She, like Impa, are two characters I feel are far higher pushed than is proper.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sorry, Scoli.
But I'm in the party that doesn't see Snake back because just about nothing has changed in his favor from when the MAIN roster was chosen in my eyes.
...still fix'd :troll:

That's ok. I definitely see WHY people don't expect Snake. It's one thing to not expect him. Another thing completely to **** on the character and say how bad an addition he was.

EDIT: The way I see it, part of me thinks that Sakurai would have kept Snake...if it was completely up to him. He LOVES Metal Gear. I have a feeling Nintendo blocked it from happening again. Hopefully his popularity shows them otherwise.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I can see Wolf getting in and I can kind of see Krystal getting in, but I can't see the both of them getting in as dlc. That's my biggest doubt about Krystal, Wolf has been more consistently important to the Star Fox series.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I can see Wolf getting in and I can kind of see Krystal getting in, but I can't see the both of them getting in as dlc. That's my biggest doubt about Krystal, Wolf has been more consistently important to the Star Fox series.
I don't see why both can't get in, I don't think reps are particularly important when it comes to DLC and Wolf is a semi-clone who was in Brawl meaning they can reuse animations and stuff, he wouldn't require much work in the first place

Sorry, Scoli.

Edit:

When Krystal hasn't been seen since 2006, as far as we know isn't going to be in SF-Zero, and a lot of people clutch to an over decade old game that is largely despised by the fanbase for an arsnenal.... she's got an absence longer than K. Rool without the massive popularity, overt potential as a fighter, and level of importance to her series.

She, like Impa, are two characters I feel are far higher pushed than is proper.
She has popularity and uniqueness though thanks to that staff. The last star fox game at all was in 2006 so her absence isn't as important as K Rool who skipped out on Jungle Beat, Returns AND Tropical Freeze. I also don't see how she has less potential as a fighter, I mean a staff which is a weapon not seen in Smash yet is a lot more unique than a heavyweight who does punches and claw swipes, considering Bowser already exists

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't see why both can't get in, I don't think reps are particularly important when it comes to DLC and Wolf is a semi-clone who was in Brawl meaning they can reuse animations and stuff, he wouldn't require much work in the first place

She has popularity and uniqueness though thanks to that staff. The last star fox game was in 2006 so her absence isn't as important as K Rool who skipped out on 2 brand new games. I also don't see how she has less potential as a fighter, I mean a staff which is a weapon not seen in Smash yet is a lot more unique than a heavyweight who does punches and claw swipes, considering Bowser already exists
Nothing stopped Krystal being added to 64 3D in the added features, even if it was solely for the multiplayer to nod to her, nor from being in Zero. Kat is holding at the amount of importance at this point for the series if we include Star Fox 2.
:4palutena: We have a staff in Smash.
That staff, while starting as hers, is only used as such for the intro and far more by :4fox: for the duration of the game. It'd be a :4zelda: situation of giving the weaponry properly used by the protagonist to his madam... except with that madam not being the namesake for the series nor one of the three characters it revolves around.

"Punches and claw swipes"

He punches as a boxer in only one title (Namely with boomerang hooks with his gloves). And never seen swiping with his claws.

We have the ability to rain cannon balls, a blunderbuss which has a rocket burner, deploys spike traps, chemical clouds which reverse controls and freeze opponents, as well as having electrical fields, a helipack, the ability to willingly turn invisible, a killer belly flop, a set of teeth to really take a bite out of the competition, which are his own moves that certainly could make him unique to :4bowser:.

Last edited:

ToledoJones

Smash Rookie
I think Hyrule Warriors should be represented in Smash Bros. It would also in a general way represent the spin-off side of Zelda. It doesn't need to be a playable character in which case would likley be Lana but something like trophies of characters that HW made such as Cia. Perhaps a stage somehow?

Some of the music is pretty damn good too.
ok, going sleep now.

But can that many fit on the Wii U version?:troll:
I would only be very slightly but pleasantly surprised if we did get 6 more characters. Though I don't expect any more than that since this would be 10 DLC's in total...
I would be ecstatic if we ended up with some HW stuff. But, what I really want is that glorious HW Ganondorf as a skin for Smash Dorf. I doubt DLC skins will ever be a thing, but I can dream.

She has popularity and uniqueness though thanks to that staff. The last star fox game at all was in 2006 so her absence isn't as important as K Rool who skipped out on Jungle Beat, Returns AND Tropical Freeze. I also don't see how she has less potential as a fighter, I mean a staff which is a weapon not seen in Smash yet is a lot more unique than a heavyweight who does punches and claw swipes, considering Bowser already exists
Hey, I know Palutena isn't top tier or anything but she (is still in the game) uses a staff and magic. That's sort of similar to Krystal's thing.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I won't tell you you're wrong because it's an opinion and you're free to have one, but I personally do feel like reps are important here. The common prediction is that we'll have three more dlc characters, at most six. With a limited number of slots in the future, taking up two slots would significantly lower potential for other good dlcs to make it in.

It's nothing against Krystal personally, I'd love it if any of the Star Fox characters get in. I just think that realistically this hurts her chances. Best case scenario is if Wolf is added in separate from the ballot, giving Krystal space.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Hyrule Warriors should be represented in Smash Bros. It would also in a general way represent the spin-off side of Zelda. It doesn't need to be a playable character in which case would likley be Lana but something like trophies of characters that HW made such as Cia. Perhaps a stage somehow?

Some of the music is pretty damn good too.
ok, going sleep now.

But can that many fit on the Wii U version?:troll:
I would only be very slightly but pleasantly surprised if we did get 6 more characters. Though I don't expect any more than that since this would be 10 DLC's in total...
If any character is represented from Hyrule Warriors it'd probably be Impa, not Lana, since through HW Impa could get a very unique and original moveset and she plays a major role in the game. Lana is not only a character from only a single title, she's only in a spinoff series and wasn't even made by Nintendo at all.

Nintendo is very bullheaded and refuses to use or even acknowledge third party contributions to their franchises (and even first party if Sticker Star, Other M, and Starfox Zero is anything to go by)

So no matter how great the game, Hyrule Warriors ain't getting ****. Which is too bad, it's the first game to feature Ganondorf as a playable character and not Black Shadow who decided to give himself the last name of Dragmire. :p
I wouldn't call them bullheaded, but agreed, spinoffs NEVER get references outside of those games. I'd be absolutely shocked if HW ever gets referenced outside of the HW games, or Nintendo games produced by Koei Tecmo (like Fatal Frame, which I had no idea was made by Koei Tecmo, and I believe some reason Dynasty or Samurai Warriors game had Link/Zelda HW costumes as well).

On this whole six characters business, I CAN see it happening, but I don't think its very likely. I think we'll probably just get 4, 5 at the max, but its possible they'll go with that idea on 3DS instead of creating a second page for the characters. In the off-shot we do get 6:

1.) King K. Rool
2.) Inklings (assuming they were chosen outside of the ballot, otherwise even lower)
3.) Isaac
4.) Wolf (yeah, don't think he's coming for a bit, but I could be wrong)
5.) Bandana Dee
6.) Dixie Kong

That's my speculation IF we had 6 characters.

And yes, even with 6 characters I left out third-parties. I don't think they're that likely at all. The biggest names in the ballot right now for third-parties are Indies and I don't think they'd be chosen. However, if a third-party were to get in, Dixie or Bandana Dee would probably be left out (probably Dixie).

I'd say the same although I'd have Krystal in there too, Maybe instead of Dixie since she tends to rank higher in fan polls (I think they are somewhat representative of the final results, most of the votes will be coming from places like Smashboards, Gamefaqs, casual fans I feel are less likely to vote)

I'm also not sure on where K Rool and Inkling stand cause of those mii costumes, it just seems weird they'd have them if they were going to add them to the roster
Yeah, no. I'm with Burruni Burruni on this one. Krystal is pretty much dead. Most Star Fox fans hate her, Star Fox Adventures was reviled, she's not in Zero and her last real appearance is in Command, which was also reviled.

K. Rool has a costume, yes. It was made absolutely without the ballot in mind and was called a "Retro" costume. Nintendo knew about his popularity even BEFORE the ballot, he's a prime candidate for getting chosen from it, probably the #1 most likely by far to get in through the ballot.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I would be ecstatic if we ended up with some HW stuff. But, what I really want is that glorious HW Ganondorf as a skin for Smash Dorf. I doubt DLC skins will ever be a thing, but I can dream.

Hey, I know Palutena isn't top tier or anything but she (is still in the game) uses a staff and magic. That's sort of similar to Krystal's thing.
She uses it for 3 moves where she spins it around, they aren't at all the same

Nothing stopped Krystal being added to 64 3D in the added features, even if it was solely for the multiplayer to nod to her, nor from being in Zero. Kat is holding at the amount of importance at this point for the series if we include Star Fox 2.
:4palutena: We have a staff in Smash.
That staff, while starting as hers, is only used as such for the intro and far more by :4fox: for the duration of the game. It'd be a :4zelda: situation of giving the weaponry properly used by the protagonist to his madam... except with that madam not being the namesake for the series nor one of the three characters it revolves around.

"Punches and claw swipes"

He punches as a boxer in only one title (Namely with boomerang hooks with his gloves). And never seen swiping with his claws.

We have the ability to rain cannon balls, a blunderbuss which has a rocket burner, deploys spike traps, chemical clouds which reverse controls and freeze opponents, as well as having electrical fields, a helipack, the ability to willingly turn invisible, a killer belly flop, a set of teeth to really take a bite out of the competition, which are his own moves that certainly could make him unique to :4bowser:.
The staff belongs to Krystal, we have every reason to believe she would know how to use it

He could have unique specials I guess but his normals, which is the majority of the moveset, would be just punches and claw swipes, we've also never really seen bowser use his claws to attack yet he does here, because he has claws

If any character is represented from Hyrule Warriors it'd probably be Impa, not Lana, since through HW Impa could get a very unique and original moveset and she plays a major role in the game. Lana is not only a character from only a single title, she's only in a spinoff series and wasn't even made by Nintendo at all.

I wouldn't call them bullheaded, but agreed, spinoffs NEVER get references outside of those games. I'd be absolutely shocked if HW ever gets referenced outside of the HW games, or Nintendo games produced by Koei Tecmo (like Fatal Frame, which I had no idea was made by Koei Tecmo, and I believe some reason Dynasty or Samurai Warriors game had Link/Zelda HW costumes as well).

On this whole six characters business, I CAN see it happening, but I don't think its very likely. I think we'll probably just get 4, 5 at the max, but its possible they'll go with that idea on 3DS instead of creating a second page for the characters. In the off-shot we do get 6:

1.) King K. Rool
2.) Inklings (assuming they were chosen outside of the ballot, otherwise even lower)
3.) Isaac
4.) Wolf (yeah, don't think he's coming for a bit, but I could be wrong)
5.) Bandana Dee
6.) Dixie Kong

That's my speculation IF we had 6 characters.

And yes, even with 6 characters I left out third-parties. I don't think they're that likely at all. The biggest names in the ballot right now for third-parties are Indies and I don't think they'd be chosen. However, if a third-party were to get in, Dixie or Bandana Dee would probably be left out (probably Dixie).

Yeah, no. I'm with Burruni Burruni on this one. Krystal is pretty much dead. Most Star Fox fans hate her, Star Fox Adventures was reviled, she's not in Zero and her last real appearance is in Command, which was also reviled.

K. Rool has a costume, yes. It was made absolutely without the ballot in mind and was called a "Retro" costume. Nintendo knew about his popularity even BEFORE the ballot, he's a prime candidate for getting chosen from it, probably the #1 most likely by far to get in through the ballot.
Command is on the eshop though, It's not like nintendo are completely denying it's existance and the whole str fox fans hate her thing isn't really true, it's moreso a vocal minority

This may just be me but the costume feels more like a case of 'we don't want to add them but we still want to acknowledge their fans'

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If that 6 is real, I'd probs say:

1. Wolf
2. K. Rool
3. Inklings
4. Isaac
5. Dee
6. And 6th I'd say is a wild card that Sakurai thinks will generate interest. I'd say Dixie, but I feel like we won't get two DLC characters from the same franchise unless demand was very, very high for both characters.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
IF this 6 slot thing is real (which is more than I expect)

Here's my prediction list.
1) :wolf:
2) K. Rool
3) Bandana Dee
4) Isaac
5) Inklings
6) Dixie or Paper Mario

That said, "empty space" argument is what gave us Tower of Smash's rooting. And we saw how that turned out.
Good list, if it's okay with you I'd like to share my own, now IMO I think we'll get at least one third-party, I'm not very into them, but I believe that we'll get one at the very least. So without further ado, here's my predictions (Now 100% less rumors).

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie
Paper Mario
Impa
Layton (And before anyone asks no, this has nothing to do with the rumors, I just think he makes sense)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
She uses it for 3 moves where she spins it around, they aren't at all the same

The staff belongs to Krystal, we have every reason to believe she would know how to use it

He could have unique specials I guess but his normals, which is the majority of the moveset, would be just punches and claw swipes, we've also never really seen bowser use his claws to attack yet he does here, because he has claws
Yes.
The staff belongs to Krystal.
That was used by Fox in 90% of the most despised game in the series and is over a decade old with nary a reference since besides Krystal's existance in Assault and Command and the two trophies it recieved in Brawl (Krystal and Tricky).

"Would just be punches and claw swipes" by that logic :4bowser: and :4charizard: are the exact same. They even both breathe fire!

And :4fox: and Krystal would both have the same moves because they're moderately lightweight anthropromorphic animals. And :4kirby: & :4pacman: are both orbs with limbs known for eating things.

And yes, we did see Bowser use his claws. A little thing called Super Mario RPG. A little thing called Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
How well do you guys think the 3 current DLC characters sold? Depending on that, we may get a good amount more, or even none at all.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yes.
The staff belongs to Krystal.
That was used by Fox in 90% of the most despised game in the series and is over a decade old with nary a reference since besides Krystal's existance in Assault and Command and the two trophies it recieved in Brawl (Krystal and Tricky).

"Would just be punches and claw swipes" by that logic :4bowser: and :4charizard: are the exact same. They even both breathe fire!

And :4fox: and Krystal would both have the same moves because they're moderately lightweight anthropromorphic animals.

And yes, we did see Bowser use his claws. A little thing called Super Mario RPG. A little thing called Paper Mario.
It is Krystal's staff, she owns it, it was hers, she lost it and fox found it and used it but it's still hers, she got it back at the end of adventures so canonically she would still have it

Charizard and Bowser aren't the same though since Charizard can fly meaning his playstyle is massively different.

Adventures was referenced quite a bit in Assault so they didn't completely forget it, Assault is also the place where a lot of Star Fox's smash representation comes from

Also I forgot about the RPGs, regardless though the logic still stands that if a character has claws they would use them in a fight

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Impa was a strange choice of mine, but then again, she did get 3rd place in the SG poll. Not to mention Zelda didn't get a character this installment.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This may just be me but the costume feels more like a case of 'we don't want to add them but we still want to acknowledge their fans'
This could be the case if it wasn't for the fact that every other character denies this notion, since none of the "new" Mii Fighter characters are really big-time characters people wanted. Barring Chrom, who was already denied in the main game. This even happened in the set of Mii Fighter costumes RIGHT BEFORE the ballot released, with none of them being any "big-time" characters.

The Inklings Mii Fighter costumes are a special case, since they made them as a preorder bonus for Splatoon, and added Inkling trophies to Smash upon their release. They obviously did not plan Inklings at that time, but with the success of Splatoon they could've easily changed their minds.

You're just denying it because you don't want to believe that those characters are the most popular and most requested characters in the Smash ballot, which makes them likely candidates to get chosen to fill in the remaining slots, making Krystal and other characters you want less likely to happen.

How well do you guys think the 3 current DLC characters sold? Depending on that, we may get a good amount more, or even none at all.
Considering most are veterans its hard to say. I do think, though, that they might consider making more characters if the past ones sold well. So I could see up to 6 to fill it right up, but I still don't think its likely at this point.

If that 6 is real, I'd probs say:

1. Wolf
2. K. Rool
3. Inklings
4. Isaac
5. Dee
6. And 6th I'd say is a wild card that Sakurai thinks will generate interest. I'd say Dixie, but I feel like we won't get two DLC characters from the same franchise unless demand was very, very high for both characters.
This is exactly why I think if we have up to six Dixie is a very likely candidate, since although K. Rool is far more highly requested, both are very highly requested characters.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This could be the case if it wasn't for the fact that every other character denies this notion, since none of the "new" Mii Fighter characters are really big-time characters people wanted. Barring Chrom, who was already denied in the main game. This even happened in the set of Mii Fighter costumes RIGHT BEFORE the ballot released, with none of them being any "big-time" characters.

The Inklings Mii Fighter costumes are a special case, since they made them as a preorder bonus for Splatoon, and added Inkling trophies to Smash upon their release. They obviously did not plan Inklings at that time, but with the success of Splatoon they could've easily changed their minds.

You're just denying it because you don't want to believe that those characters are the most popular and most requested characters in the Smash ballot, which makes them likely candidates to get chosen to fill in the remaining slots, making Krystal and other characters you want less likely to happen.

Considering most are veterans its hard to say. I do think, though, that they might consider making more characters if the past ones sold well. So I could see up to 6 to fill it right up, but I still don't think its likely at this point.

This is exactly why I think if we have up to six Dixie is a very likely candidate, since although K. Rool is far more highly requested, both are very highly requested characters.
I only think DLC will be relagated to one per franchise, so no Dixie and K. Rool.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I only think DLC will be relagated to one per franchise, so no Dixie and K. Rool.
I think it will as well. But if we get up to 6 characters (which is unlikely), we could get both. Getting that many is a slim shot, but that's the only scenario I see in which we get both.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It is Krystal's staff, she owns it, it was hers, she lost it and fox found it and used it but it's still hers, she got it back at the end of adventures so canonically she would still have it

Charizard and Bowser aren't the same though since Charizard can fly meaning his playstyle is massively different.

Adventures was referenced quite a bit in Assault so they didn't completely forget it, Assault is also the place where a lot of Star Fox's smash representation comes from

Also I forgot about the RPGs, regardless though the logic still stands that if a character has claws they would use them in a fight
Yes. He has claws, they'd likely make up a fair bit of his standard moves. As would biting (being an kroc), or his actual close-quarters kongbat from the PAON games....
The logic also stands that they can be used differently. Trying to say K. Rool would just be a :4bowser: clone with different specials is like saying Isaac would be a :4robinm::4robinf: clone. Similar theme, implimented VERY differently. Take away the water skin and :4greninja::4sheik: are both Ninjas who share near nothing.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

First of all, thank you for putting words in my mouth, secondly that isn't how I feel at all, K Rool and the Inklings are very likely candidates and are probably the 2 top voted characters. The ballot was already open at this point though and those two were very popular, even before Splatoon released, making them into mii costumes makes no sense. I can see it going either way, I was just bringing up the possibility

Yes. He has claws, they'd likely make up a fair bit of his standard moves. As would biting (being an kroc), or his actual close-quarters kongbat from the PAON games....
The logic also stands that they can be used differently. Trying to say K. Rool would just be a :4bowser: clone with different specials is like saying Isaac would be a :4robinm::4robinf: clone. Similar theme, implimented VERY differently. Take away the water skin and :4greninja::4sheik: are both Ninjas who share near nothing.
I didn't say he would be a bowser clone, the point I was making is that I think Krystal would be more unique, which I still very much stand by

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Since we're all doing it...

If we do get six characters i think we'll get them in this order:

1.King k Rool / 2.Inklings
3. Wolf (sometime near SF release)
4.Snake / 5.Isaac (both in one direct, similar how we got Roy(veteran) and Ryu(newcomer) announced in one direct.
6. Honestly don't know. Maybe the dream of an indie character will come true? I hope so, but it'll probably be somebody from a big name franchise.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Inklings
Wolf
Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (both are pipe dreams, I don't see Sakurai adding DK characters as DLC sadly)
Rhythm Heaven rep
Ivysaur
Squirtle

;)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
First of all, thank you for putting words in my mouth, secondly that isn't how I feel at all, K Rool and the Inklings are very likely candidates and are probably the 2 top voted characters. The ballot was already open at this point though and those two were very popular, even before Splatoon released, making them into mii costumes makes no sense. I can see it going either way, I was just bringing up the possibility

I didn't say he would be a bowser clone, the point I was making is that I think Krystal would be more unique, which I still very much stand by
Other than the fact that Mii costumes are just meaningless fun and don't have any effect on anything else. Most of the main costumes reuse models already in the game. Others, however, use models from earlier games, namely the third-party ones. King K. Rool doesn't even have a high-quality model of his Rare design, meaning they had to make that entire thing from scratch for just a costume. The K. Rool hat also looks like an actual hat you'd see on the 3DS Streetpass Plaza and/or a Kirby hat, when the grand majority of "non-human" character costumes have the costume's top wrap around the entire head.

Then there's the fact that the costume was marketed as "retro".

Nothing about it at all tells they don't want to do K. Rool, they just did a costume based on him. He could easily get in through the ballot later. The other problem is if they didn't really care about K. Rool and just wanted to make him a costume, they probably would've just used the Paon model already in Smash as a trophy, not the classic Rare model.

Now, in regards to the Inklings, they're a different beast all-together. They were clearly promoted as a pre-order bonus for Splatoon as well as adding a trophy in to promote Splatoon. K. Rool had none of that, he was instead touted as being a "retro" character. Inklings most likely were not in the works for a Smash character at the time Splatoon launched. Nintendo even said they did not anticipate the success of Splatoon before its launch, so they probably didn't care about that.

However, after it became MASSIVELY successful, why not capitalize on it? Its just a damn Mii costume, there's Mii costumes of several characters already playable in the game right now anyway. There's absolutely ZERO reason to believe any characters were decided in advance that they will "not" do just based on a Mii costume. The only thing you can rely on is official statements by Sakurai. So we can "rool" out Ridley, Chrom, and Ice Climbers easily.

But that has nothing to do with Mii costumes and only what Sakurai has stated on the matter. There's absolutely no reason that a Mii costume will hold a character back.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Other than the fact that Mii costumes are just meaningless fun and don't have any effect on anything else. Most of the main costumes reuse models already in the game. Others, however, use models from earlier games, namely the third-party ones. King K. Rool doesn't even have a high-quality model of his Rare design, meaning they had to make that entire thing from scratch for just a costume. The K. Rool hat also looks like an actual hat you'd see on the 3DS Streetpass Plaza and/or a Kirby hat, when the grand majority of "non-human" character costumes have the costume's top wrap around the entire head.

Nothing about it at all tells they don't want to do K. Rool, they just did a costume based on him. He could easily get in through the ballot later. The other problem is if they didn't really care about K. Rool and just wanted to make him a costume, they probably would've just used the Paon model already in Smash as a trophy, not the classic Rare model.

Now, in regards to the Inklings, they're a different beast all-together. They were clearly promoted as a pre-order bonus for Splatoon as well as adding a trophy in to promote Splatoon. K. Rool had none of that, he was instead touted as being a "retro" character. Inklings most likely were not in the works for a Smash character at the time Splatoon launched. Nintendo even said they did not anticipate the success of Splatoon before its launch, so they probably didn't care about that.

However, after it became MASSIVELY successful, why not capitalize on it? Its just a damn Mii costume, there's Mii costumes of several characters already playable in the game right now anyway. There's absolutely ZERO reason to believe any characters were decided in advance that they will "not" do just based on a Mii costume. The only thing you can rely on is official statements by Sakurai. So we can "rool" out Ridley, Chrom, and Ice Climbers easily.

But that has nothing to do with Mii costumes and only what Sakurai has stated on the matter. There's absolutely no reason that a Mii costume will hold a character back.
There's one thing though, isn't it similar to buying the character in question twice.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Reposting from the K. Rool thread in response to the prediction about there being 6 more DLC slots based on the CSC:

Ok, so I've decided to predict who I believe will be those 6 DLC character slots (if it turns out to be true, anyway, but this is just a guess).

In no particular order or ranking (with some text to distinguish them as Sakurai once did):

1. King K. Rool (Big Burly Krokodile)

2. Bandana Dee (Little Spear Wielder)

3. Isaac (Blonde Spell Master)

4. Wolf (Ferocious Melee Attacker) OR (Stellar Canine Brawler) :3

5. Shantae (Magic Genie Girl)

6. Rayman (Limbless Punching Hero)

To me, this is a very reasonable roster with a variety of characters that I think everybody would be happy with (although that's an understatement in a way). What do you guys think? Let's not start any arguments or anything though; that's not what I am intending.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's one thing though, isn't it similar to buying the character in question twice.
Not if Inklings have a moveset that resembles damn-near nothing of Mii Gunner.
And since it'd be made FOR them instead of just being Generic Shooter Unit, yeah.
It wouldn't be like buying the same character twice.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

But that's the thing, even based on the early ballot data, K Rool would still be a massive contender, making a mii fighter model and everything for a character they were going to add later would be a waste of time that could've gone towards a different costume. Not to mention the only fighters with costumes are Samus, Link and Falcon, K Rool doesn't really fit with that bunch.

We don't know whether it matters though, you can't say that "There's absolutely no reason that a Mii costume will hold a character back." since we really have no way of knowing without just waiting to see what happens, I'm still on the fence about whether it means anything or not.

Also, how does him being marketed as a retro costume mean anything? I'm not sure I see what you're saying

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not if Inklings have a moveset that resembles damn-near nothing of Mii Gunner.
And since it'd be made FOR them instead of just being Generic Shooter Unit, yeah.
It wouldn't be like buying the same character twice.
Also one other thing, they have a trophy that costs a dollar and looks just like as if they were in Smash, so why have two Inkling trophies that look exactly the same and both cost money rather than just having one that you purchase?

Last edited:

ToledoJones

Smash Rookie
She uses it for 3 moves where she spins it around, they aren't at all the same.
Palutena uses it for her Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Neutral Air, Jab, Standard Special, Down Special and her Get Up Attack (also some of her customs). That said, if your argument was that Bowser having claws and doing punches somehow makes K. Rool less unique because he also does those things, then the fact that Palutena uses magic and staves is relevant. Krystal also has psychic powers which could be similar to Palutena.

Notice I said "could be." Obviously she doesn't have to be less unique because of Palutena. Just like K Rool doesn't have to be less unique because of Bowser. K. Rool's blunderbuss, for instance, could make him quite unique. Even if it was only used for specials. As I'm sure you are aware an incredibly large amount of characters have very similar attacks for their standard moves.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Also one other thing, they have a trophy that costs a dollar and looks just like as if they were in Smash, so why have two Inkling trophies that look exactly the same and both cost money rather than just having one that you purchase?
The trophy is ripped straight from the female inkling amiibo's model and bundled as part of the costume.

DLC Fighters can have different trophies than ones already in the game. There's no reason to think that the trophies would "look exactly the same."

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Palutena uses it for her Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Neutral Air, Jab, Standard Special, Down Special and her Get Up Attack (also some of her customs). That said, if your argument was that Bowser having claws and doing punches somehow makes K. Rool less unique because he also does those things, then the fact that Palutena uses magic and staves is relevant. Krystal also has psychic powers which could be similar to Palutena.

Notice I said "could be." Obviously she doesn't have to be less unique because of Palutena. Just like K Rool doesn't have to be less unique because of Bowser. K. Rool's blunderbuss, for instance, could make him quite unique. Even if it was only used for specials. As I'm sure you are aware an incredibly large amount of characters have very similar attacks for their standard moves.
Of course not, Both could be very unique, I just think Krystal would be more unique, no one uses a way weapon in the same way she does. Just looking at Star Fox Adventures combat she's just oozing with uniqueness

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We have no precedent for this costume situation anyway, so what it ultimately means is going to be verified when the next reveal comes along. Neither side is completely right or wrong based on what we have, so spreading one particular viewpoint as gospel is fallacious.

If you ask me, I'm impartial to what the costumes will ultimately mean. "Costume=consolation prize because not getting in"(which I can agree with to an extent) is very much what nobody wants to happen to their character(save isolated cases) and why they want any character made a Mii costume to get in as a character to disprove the fanmade theories. You can argue that "if they didn't care they wouldn't have put much effort into the KKR costume and reused an old design because lulz", but the inverse is also plausible; they cared enough to make the costume of high quality using a design loved by fans.

"But characters already in the game have costumes."

If you're still using this, then I apologize when saying you're rather close-minded to a valid point; no precedent. These characters aren't playable. This also applies to characters like Heihachi, Zero and Lloyd Irving but people only care about Inklings and KKR in this regard because popularity.

TLDR: Mii costumes have the potential hold a character back, but no argument, not even my own, is 100% correct as of now and we can only wait until the next reveal.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The trophy is ripped straight from the female inkling amiibo's model and bundled as part of the costume.

DLC Fighters can have different trophies than ones already in the game. There's no reason to think that the trophies would "look exactly the same."
I wouldn't say that, the pose, polygon count, and graphical fedelity have all been increased, basically it looks like an Inkling in Smash Bros. After doing minor research I found the models to be different, so that's a thing. Lucas' trophy was ripped straight from Brawl, and Mewtwo's trophy wasn't ripped from anything, but the quality of the model is horrific. The Inkling's however had special time and effort put into the model, so yes, the trophy is new along with the model. Also, I don't think that's real money you used to buy Lucas. ;)

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Judging by what I've seen

1. Wolf (returning vet dlc character bundle #2)
2. King K Rool
3. Isaac
4. Inklings
5. Rayman
6. Ice Climbers (I think they can do it even though they aren't a must to me, I know they are missed by many, and would follow the returning vet slot in dlc bundle #3 assuming it's still done in groups of three and that we are getting 6 more to begin with.)

Have the best chances.
But what I want is at least one of any of the following:

Wolf
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Advance Wars rep
Zelda rep
Pokemon (never enough poke :chuckle:)
Chorus Kids

The top Indies, SK and Shantae, are acceptable to me but unlikely and understandably out of place, but I'd be happy to give them a home if they somehow make it with a generous miracle.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that, the pose, polygon count, and graphical fedelity have all been increased, basically it looks like an Inkling in Smash Bros. After doing minor research I found the models to be different, so that's a thing. Lucas' trophy was ripped straight from Brawl, and Mewtwo's trophy wasn't ripped from anything, but the quality of the model is horrific. The Inkling's however had special time and effort put into the model, so yes, the trophy is new along with the model. Also, I don't think that's real money you used to buy Lucas. ;)
It's from the model, in Splatoon, that is used when you plug in the amiibo before the figure "comes to life" and gives you the challenge. Of course it looks better than the ACTUAL amiibo because it's... well... not a Merth situation.

The fact is still that the trophies associated to a FIGHTER Inkling would have different poses and description to the one already in DLC. Especially because the "classic" trophy for the fighter is the render of them used for the CSS, and I REALLY doubt they'd reuse that exact same pose for it. (Edit: The "alt" from either all-star in 3ds or the similar bought in the shop in WiiU would be of an alternate costume, most likely Inkling Male, and the final smash... yeah)

Edit: Equivilent for the Male amiibo, since I couldn't find one for the female.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's from the model, in Splatoon, that is used when you plug in the amiibo before the figure "comes to life" and gives you the challenge. Of course it looks better than the ACTUAL amiibo because it's... well... not a Merth situation.

The fact is still that the trophies associated to a FIGHTER Inkling would have different poses and description to the one already in DLC. Especially because the "classic" trophy for the fighter is the render of them used for the CSS, and I REALLY doubt they'd reuse that exact same pose for it.

Edit: Equivilent for the Male amiibo, since I couldn't find one for the female.

Wow, that Inkling over in the corner looks super happy, wonder what's up with her?

Well then I see your point, one thing I just wanted to point out is that the SSB4 model is glossier, but yeah, them having a different pose doesn't seem too farfetched, that and the fact that it was pre-ballot, but now that they're giving time to listen to fan feedback they could reconsider this and put in Inklings. So not all hope is lost for the Squiddly-diddlies.

ToledoJones

Smash Rookie
Of course not, Both could be very unique, I just think Krystal would be more unique, no one uses a way weapon in the same way she does. Just looking at Star Fox Adventures combat she's just oozing with uniqueness
It certainly all depends on how Sakurai would handle K. Rool. As for her staff techniques in Starfox Adventures, I'll have to check out the gameplay at some point.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I thought Mewtwo's trophy was from Pokedex 3D Pro, I could be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere

It certainly all depends on how Sakurai would handle K. Rool. As for her staff techniques in Starfox Adventures, I'll have to check out the gameplay at some point.
I'm finding a hard time finding videos showcasing the combat but this is the best I can do
Go to around the 30 minute mark

It's a lot of multi-hits and kicks in combination with staff sweeps and stabs, that's just for normals though, there's a bunch of magic stuff that could be used for specials and a magic bar gimmick could be thrown in there if they really wanted to

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom