• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
What did everyone put for the reason they wanted their character?

On the chibi robo topic - im fine with the idea of him getting in even though i didn't play his game because from what i heard he would probably be a grapler of sorts?
I spoke about how K Rool is a classic villain and also described various moveset ideas.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I spoke of how (Captain) Toad is one of the few universally reknown Nintendo characters left, how intresting it'd be to see them tackling a character who potentially couldn't jump, and how much fun burying a pickaxe into your opponent's head is before running them down with a minecart or pummelling them with turnip cannonfire.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As long as I live, I will never understand Bayonetta's sudden rise for popularity for Smash. It's not gonna happen...
A lot of it has to do with Nintendo's involvement with Bayonetta 2 as well as their relationship with both Platinum Games and Sega, not to mention the Nintendo themed content found in Bayonetta 2 as well...Bayonetta is still a popular game and has garnered a fairly large fanbase and has pretty much become a cult classic overnight, since Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo exclusive a large portion of that fanbase most likely plays Smash as well...thus they want her in Smash...

There's also this whole ZSS=Bayonetta thing going around since ZSS's reveal, saying that Bayonetta was planned as a ZSS clone or something along those lines, which I feel is nothing more than fans grasping at straws to justify her possible inclusion...

Either way she has her fans (she's in the Top 20 for my list and pretty much in that same area mostly everywhere else on the internet) as do a lot of other Dark Horses of speculation (Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc.)...

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
  • Maxwell: I talked about how much he could bring to the table by uniquely using his notebook, taking advantage of a random style of fighting that nobody else used. I also talked about how we could use a third-party puzzle character, and more puzzle characters in general.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: I told them how Kirby is a popular series that needs at least one more character, and how he is the only KRTDL playable who isn't in Smash yet. His spear is what makes him unique.
  • Daitoryo: I said that he should be in because he's the first Nintendo character, and how he'd be unique. Either by fighting with playing cards, or with early Nintendo products (such as noodles and taxis). I informed them of how he could be in despite being a non-video game character, since R.O.B. and Duck Hunt are toys.
  • Isaac: I said how he's the most deserving of all candidates, and long overdue. He'd be unique since he has a lot of earth attacks, and he would fit in quite well with everybody else. He should've gotten in a long time ago.
  • Dynal: I said that the Fossil Fighters series has three games, including a recent one, so we should see at least one character. Dynal is important because he's been in two of the games, with a major role in one of them. He'd represent the series since he can turn into a Vivosaur. The thing making him unique is how he can attack by turning into a giant dinosaur.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Not really but I do wanna say that

What I actually wrote was more along the lines of;
"
Ridley is important to the Metroid Series, and he’s THE ANTAGONIST

He’s the Ganondorf to Metroid - He’s been murdered by Samus like 6-7 Times and HE KEEPS COMING BACK. He was in just about literally every Metroid Game, barring Metroid II, on the Gameboy.
In story, HE’S why Samus is a bounty hunter.
He ate her parents in front of her. When she was 3.
She devoted her entire life to eliminating the Space Pirates because of that.

We Got Samus in there TWICE.
Don’t get me wrong - I love Samus as a hero, as a character.

She IS Metroid.

But what’s got me up in arms is that NOBODY ELSE in the Metroid series makes more sense as another Representative.

Zero Suit Samus is great and all, but She’s Samus Again.
She represents the lady under the suit. That’s great. But her representation is slightly re-treading the wheel of who Samus is.
Ridley represents the ordeal she fights against, the Ordeal she CHOSE to fight against."

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice

On the chibi robo topic - im fine with the idea of him getting in even though i didn't play his game because from what i heard he would probably be a grapler of sorts?
upload_2015-9-2_12-29-46.png

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
I put that we needed someone to put some order with so much fights, and a lawyer like Phoenix Wright would be neat. Besides, he represented some of the best games in the DS era.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Not too sure if I can remember what I wrote. But I think I remember that wrote down something about Fiora (from Xenoblade Chronicles.)

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Om my K. Rool resume, i wrote about how K. Rool would be an unique heavy with his trap based playstyle, how important of a character he is to DKC and Nintendo in general, and how insulting ending up with just a Mii costume would be.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I put Ray 01 of Custom Robo first. I put him because he's a character of a long standing series that sadly has fallen off the radar. Ray 01 was one of the first robos to be seen by the Western audience, plus he'd look the best in HD. Also Ray has an infinite number of tools he could pull from, and would be an ideal candidate to be the only DLC character with access to Custom Moves.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I voted for Nobody and put that, because the Smash Ballot is a suggestion box, the Smash team can just add Nobody as a new fighter if they like that suggestion more than the thousands of suggestions for other characters.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
What did everyone put for the reason they wanted their character
The reason I put Lyndis are the following reason.

1. She is important to Fire Emblem's history in the case that she was the first western lord players got to play with in Fire Emblem 7, the first fire emblem game that was released to the rest of the world.

2. I feel that she has a good moveset potential pool with various new mechanics she could bring to the game like quick draw and critical bow hits (I can explain this in greater detail if anyone wants to hear it)

3. Is a lord character that is not tied to just a sword, has a neat bow as well!

4. Options for colors/costumes are pretty wide and can include references from her game (Colors based from Lyndis's Legion/Awakening design)

5. I'm a sucker for girls with long ponytails......

EDIT: Thought of a new reason! The beautiful final smash she will have based off of her critical animations...soo.....goooooddd!

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
ONE MONTH LEFT FOR SAKURAI REVEAL THE RESULTS OF THE FIGHTER BALLOT!!
Meanwhile, just watch and wait...

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
A lot of it has to do with Nintendo's involvement with Bayonetta 2 as well as their relationship with both Platinum Games and Sega, not to mention the Nintendo themed content found in Bayonetta 2 as well...Bayonetta is still a popular game and has garnered a fairly large fanbase and has pretty much become a cult classic overnight, since Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo exclusive a large portion of that fanbase most likely plays Smash as well...thus they want her in Smash...

There's also this whole ZSS=Bayonetta thing going around since ZSS's reveal, saying that Bayonetta was planned as a ZSS clone or something along those lines, which I feel is nothing more than fans grasping at straws to justify her possible inclusion...

Either way she has her fans (she's in the Top 20 for my list and pretty much in that same area mostly everywhere else on the internet) as do a lot of other Dark Horses of speculation (Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc.)...
When people want Bayonetta, I always ask myself this question: do they want her because she's unique, or do they want her because they saw the stripping gimmick and becomes a turn on for some of them? I'm not sexist, but it has me wondering about it sometimes with how women being used as sexual object in games at times

The whole Zamus/Bayonetta thing is what I think is really dumb. I get it: they both wear skin-tight outfits with their breasts being quite catchy that catches the average person's attention and turn them on (we've all been here with at least one video game character, don't have to say who). Combined with Bayonetta's gimmick of stripping while attacking, it seems a bit too mature for Smash for my taste plus if she was in, they would most likely water her down pretty hard, removing all the potential of her gimmick and the uniqueness of the character. I never played the games before (please do NOT convince me, I am just not interested in her games), so I may be wrong with some of the information

Plus she isn't as iconic when she has just appeared and has taking over the third party scene pretty hard. I'm impressed, but it's not enough to convince me to have her in the game.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 why add Tharja? I mean...her trophy got removed from the game, so I don't see how she won't make it in at this point

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Does anyone think we'll getting further Smash news within this month?
I would think the next larger dump of Smash stuff would appear this month. Last month we got some cosmetic outfits really early in the month, and that was it. I could certainly imagine a character at least being announced this month.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly don't think we're going to be having any Smash announcement this month. I was thinking a couple of months ago that we would have a Direct (either a Smash Direct or a General Direct) in late-July or anytime in August and clearly neither happened so it's a safe bet that Nintendo is going to stay silent about Smash until October.

The only thing I can see happening this month is a Famitsu column from Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Does anybody here have fond memories of Sm4sh roster speculation? anyone?.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
What is this thread's opinion on Chibi Robo getting in? He's getting pretty popular with Zip Lash (although us people who played from the start are sad that it's not a traditional Chibi...), and he's been around for over 10 years now. I realize ballot characters aren't just those with the most merit, but he does seem like he's got a solid chance of being added.
I have never played Chibi-Robo, but this character interests me. I'd welcome him if he were added.
(opens eyes)

:glare::glare::glare:
I haven't posted here for a while mainly due to the drought(and awkward topics). Please, Mistah SMX, please try again.
:crying:
Does anybody have fond memories of Sm4sh roster speculation? anyone?.......
When everyone stopped praising the God, aka Gematsu in this thread.
Thanks Robin!

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Does anybody here have fond memories of Sm4sh roster speculation? anyone?.......
- Creating all kinds of content for the characters I supported
- All the times I was right about "leaks" being fake.
- Pac-Man and how quickly everyone changed their opinion on him
- The fall of Gematsu
- The hype before Directs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Pac-Man and how quickly everyone changed their opinion on him
Oh yeah, you're right....

I remember all those haters that were flooding the character threads before Pac-Man's confirmation.

I wonder what happened to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I remember getting up early, looking at the pic of the day, and then going back here and checking out people's reactions to it. I didn't have an account here back then, but I thought it was pretty interesting to see people's predictions (e.g., Wario Wednesday, Monado Monday) and check out the resulting hype or anti-hype that would often follow the next PotD. I think it was fun in its own way. Honestly, Smash 4 roster speculation is probably what made me want to join this site.

The current information drought definitely doesn't match the new info that the PotDs brought every weekday. That said, at least we can play Smash 4 while waiting for DLC announcements, something we couldn't do back then.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
  • Seeing what character is announced.
  • Congratulating Roy (FE) and Ryu (Street Fighter) supporters for their respected characters entry into Smash in their threads.
  • Creating a thread to support my only vote, Bartz Klauser of FF5.
  • Introducing to me Smash-eligible characters I have never heard before.

Troykv

Smash Master

I just put my reason to believe that would be a interesting idea.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I feel like newcomers for future games should be chosen like this.
One third new character archetypes (grappler, summoner, etc.)
One third characters representing new genres.
One third very iconic gaming characters. (Toad, Excitebiker, etc)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
-Early roster speculation offline with my friend was always fun.
-MEGUH MAN! ****ING MEGA MAN!
-wtf? Wii Fit Trainer.
-LITTLE MAC!!
-Toon Link's return (Toon Link is da best Link)
-When I thought Greninja was Mewtwo.
- ESRB leaks (sad but happy that Shulk, Bowser Jr. and DHD got in [still pissed that Bowser Jr. doesn't use the paintbrush]
-When Mewtwo actually happened.
-MOTHER****ING LUCAS IS BACK!
-Hey, Roy is different!

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Puzzle games, sports games, rhythmical games, indie games, FPS games, TPS gamse, horror games, and even then it could be from underrepresented genres.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
It's a pseudo-genre at least. Plus.... Beat Em Ups, Space Shooters, Graphic Adventures, Simulation, Logic, Party, Card, Board, and MMO. (Im sure you can find a Nintendo character based off of these) Also, if there isn't enough genre-driven newcomers, just choose a relevant and popular character.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
I've got a question for those who support a character that is already an assist trophy in the game. Do you really think that the character in question has chances to become playable, do you support it because the feedback may improve its chances for the next game, or because of a different reason?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've got a question for those who support a character that is already an assist trophy in the game. Do you really think that the character in question has chances to become playable, do you support it because the feedback may improve its chances for the next game, or because of a different reason?
I vote for Lyn, Ashley, and Midna because without voting, there's no chance at all for then to become DLC. A vote for a chance is better than accepting defeat.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes, I do. I believe that, if the support is there, Sakurai would be willing to reconsider the characters for playability, rather than scoff at the notion because, he already used them for something else.

One argument I see a lot is 'It'd be so weird to have two Midna's on the field at the same time' Which I shouldn't have to explain why this is a dumb argument. If this is something that really bothers the dev team they could either; A) remove it entirely, I doubt they would because some work has been done to put said character into the game as an Assist Trophy to begin with, but the option is still there, B) 'Alfonzo' it out, rather than remove it completely simply replace the model when said character is in play, or C) the most likely option other than doing nothing is simply adding a code to prevent it from showing if the character is in play, in a similar fashion to King Dedede...

Another thing people need to consider is that the character does have an existing model and animations, which I believe will make it slightly easier for the dev team to make them work as a fighter...

I do not believe that any predefined role is a death sentence (I am aware their chances may be lower than others but I don't think it's completely negligible) but either way supporting a character now will help them in the future regardless if they make it as DLC or not; people need to vote for their favourites regardless of what role they play in the game or not (that goes for Ridley too, although his situation is a lot different than any other NPC)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom