• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK's matchup's

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
L-cancelled aerials with good spacing is usually enough to shake up the ICs. And you're right KK, downB is really good against them. You must must must must, however, be wary of projectiles and their smash attacks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I find especially the Ftilt being very useful vs the Icies. It goes right through their projectiles and it's a good move to prefend them from grabbing you. The Bair can do the same to, however the Ftilt is more guranteed to not let you hit by the ice cubes. As mood4food also said: the Up B is a wonderful move agains them! Use it whenever you have the chance!

King Kong

Smash Lord
Hmmmmm...........

Have we done Bowser yet? I'd put that as an even 2.5/5 and i'll write up a little something about it.

In DK's favour:

*Massive combos on Bowser if you can get a grab in
*Range
*If you grab at higher percents Bowser gets owned by cargo/jump/punch or f-air

In Bowsers favour:

*F-air can pierce through your B-air shuffles
*Has REALLY gay edgeguarding on DK, if you get off the edge there is a good chance that you wont come back
*The fortress makes bowser faster than DK up close

So basically this matchup comes down to careful spacing on both players part. DK is looking for grabs to lead into U-airs and finishers. Bowser is looking to knock DK off the edge so that he can be cheap. Im basing this on the matchups that me and CAOTIC had last time we played but that was a while ago. Theres other stuff about this matchup but I dont remember it right now.

peace out

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I think Bowser/DK is close but in my experience DK's speed advantage usually wins out. But it basically comes down to who can stay on the stage more. Both edge-guard the other so well.

Hurricane destroys Bowser.
DK's tilts are too quick for Bowser to handle as well.
DK's throws get Bowser off the stage quickly which usually lead to pretty quick deaths.

Bowser can tech-chase the d-throw well and rack up damage quickly.
SG is dangerous for DK with Bowser's f-b and a l-cancelled arial to u-b **** it also.
U-b can kick DK's butt all over the stage actually.
Bowser's power knocks DK off the stage easily for near-certain deaths.
I don't know about everyone else, but somehow I always get hit by his f-smash.

I'd say DK has a slight advantage. 2/5.

I'll go with some Kirby talk as well.

This is extremely close. Like 2.3/5 close. I'll give DK the slight advantage as he is so powerful and Kirby is so light.

Kirby can duck DK's giant punch and even d-smash when he's in DK's armpit.
He's hard to edge-guard.
He's quicker and his b-air is like a freakin' sex kick.
He usually is too low to b-air.
Cargo u-air can only land 1 hit at a time.
Edge-guards the crap out of DK.
Arial hammer can hurt DK.

DK has a huge power advantage. One mistake could be death for Kirby.
DK is very difficult to kill unless he gets knocked off the edge.
Cargo u-air can kill at relativly low percents.
Backwards WD to giant punch/f-smash can kill easily and serves as a mindgame after you land one.
B-throw can KO on small stages.
D-throw, tech-chase, flying giant punch FTW!

Does anyone else ever use DK's d-throw to send people off the stage? I find it useful sometimes. It sets up for a tilt, smash, f-air, or giant punch nicely at times.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Does anyone else ever use DK's d-throw to send people off the stage? I find it useful sometimes. It sets up for a tilt, smash, f-air, or giant punch nicely at times.
One of my favorite things to do is down throw a high % enemy while on top of a high platform and follow in with a Flying F-air. The range is huge and just feels so brutally powerful when you nail it.

Also Down throw near the edge into a n-air is an interesting finisher too.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I always end up killing myself or missing when I try the n-air, depending on if I SH or full jump. Do you need to start that from a platform too? Or do I just suck? I'll guess the latter. :(

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
DK can combo fox,captain falcon,Falco,Roy,Link,And himself pretty easily in my opinion

phish-it

Smash Champion
I always end up killing myself or missing when I try the n-air, depending on if I SH or full jump. Do you need to start that from a platform too? Or do I just suck? I'll guess the latter. :(
I Don't even think you need to full hop it... You don't need a platform either.

King Kong

Smash Lord
The N-air offstage is sex. I sometimes get double N-airs offstage depending on whether or not I connected high enough with the first. I find that you can follow knocking your opponent offstage by running straight offstage, jumping out and trying to hit them with a fast fallen n-air. I stays out so long that you can hit way far out and still make it back. Its faster than turning and going for a B-air offstage but its more risky.

peace out

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
I'll go with some Kirby talk as well.

This is extremely close. Like 2.3/5 close. I'll give DK the slight advantage as he is so powerful and Kirby is so light.

Kirby can duck DK's giant punch and even d-smash when he's in DK's armpit.
He's hard to edge-guard.
He's quicker and his b-air is like a freakin' sex kick.
He usually is too low to b-air.
Cargo u-air can only land 1 hit at a time.
Edge-guards the crap out of DK.
Arial hammer can hurt DK.

DK has a huge power advantage. One mistake could be death for Kirby.
DK is very difficult to kill unless he gets knocked off the edge.
Cargo u-air can kill at relativly low percents.
Backwards WD to giant punch/f-smash can kill easily and serves as a mindgame after you land one.
B-throw can KO on small stages.
D-throw, tech-chase, flying giant punch FTW!
Although, yes, Kirby is hard to edgeguard when played correctly, an incorrectly played move can mean a quick kill for DK. Basically, I'm talking about the Up-B edgeguard. That can really screw up a Kirby game until they adapt to it.

For those that don't know how to edgeguard with the Up-B against Kirby, Kirby has to be recovering from below. DK should be on the edge. Once Kirby is in range, drop, jump and up-b. You should do it fast enough that Kirby can't retaliate. Since this sends Kirby out to the right and his horizontal recovery is terrible once he's low on jumps, he's practically dead right here, but you should grab the edge again and just make sure.

This works pretty much with anyone, but it is really useful against Kirby's recovery from below.

Oh, yes, Buttcrust, don't forget about Kirby's swallowcide and how DK's really easy to recover from it. He's also a pretty big target for it...

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
The N-air offstage is sex. I sometimes get double N-airs offstage depending on whether or not I connected high enough with the first. I find that you can follow knocking your opponent offstage by running straight offstage, jumping out and trying to hit them with a fast fallen n-air. I stays out so long that you can hit way far out and still make it back. Its faster than turning and going for a B-air offstage but its more risky.

peace out
Yeah, I use that often, but I can't do it and survive when they are close to the stage like after a d-throw. I can't get high enough to do it and survive unless they immediately jump out of it.

And oh yes, the Swallowcide. For the most part though it isn't too hard to avoid. Just don't edge-guard unless you're hanging from the ledge. Be wary of Kirby near the edge as he can just jump back and eat you or even u-throw suicide if he has more lives than you.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like how DK stacks up against samus. He has suprising speed and he can make short work of missles with his back aerial and his forward tilts. I might go into more detail later, but yeah.

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
I have an incredibly tough time vs Shiek. Actually more-so than the space animals. The Fair seems to out prioritize even DK's Bair, and I can't seem to find a good approach toward attacking her. Does DK lose out to Shiek in aerial battles? Any tips for these situations?

HMC

Smash Apprentice
I haven't looked throughout the thread (too lazy) so I don't know if this has been posted.

Against Ganon, DK can Cargo Uthrow, and uair repeatedly, then finish with a fair or giant punch. Ganon's recovery also allows for easy bairs, and dairs.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Grabs work well against Shiek. F-tilt is pretty good fro stopping her approaches also. Or DD away and b-air/come back and grab. She can be tough to edge-guard sometimes though.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Edgeguarding Sheiks with DK is not actually as hard as you might think. I remember Seeing BUM ledge hop a D-air into an upsmash for a kill a couple times. Talk about hairy!!!

El HP

Smash Ace
From my experience I find the match between marth and DK at even, on big stages I think DK has a small advantage using DI marth has a hard time killing you.

Against fox and falco I believe DK has a better chance than the other heavyweights.

Blind samurai

Smash Rookie
falco hoes

Falco is definatly not a 5/5 for dk, sure a good falco can combo you to 70+% in a matter of seconds, but since when has damaged every mattered to DK. Answer: it hasn't bc dk dont give a ****. all it takes is a cargo throw up to a couple upairs to get some dmg on him then get one more grab in walk him to the edge and show him the view and edge guard falco, most falco players dont know what the **** to do if your agressive off the edge you can catch them out of their F-B recover with a B-air (if they are fast and start doing an Up-B to recover then press on with the fight off the edge and up-b to recover and knock him again and catch the edge to guard) also the F-B can be meteored with D-air or F-Air but this requires L337 timing and b-air is a little more reliable. If he goes for a up-b recovery you have to gauge what to do on the spacing, if he is close enough to get back on the level past edge hogin then go out there and back air his *** and hes done, and if hes just within distance just edge hog.

These tactics will prolly put you a life up with some dmg depending on how well you play you can possible gay him again off the edge. Then cargo suicide and be 2 stocks up on a falco. (1 up if you dont got the donkeyballs for another edge guard domination.)

i have yet to meet a falco who has learned how to excape this ownage.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
The problem is getting a grab on a smart Falco. The shine beats out DK's grab, even if they miss their l-cancel sometimes. The lasers make it even harder to position yourself for a grab.

Top Bottom