• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK's insane glide toss

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I was playing doubles today, and my partner was diddy, i picked up a banana and when i glide tossed it i slid across the entire stage. Thats right, DK can slide across smashville with his glide toss, it goes over half way on fd, this sets up insane long range fsmashes.

if you ever fight a link/peach/diddy/anyone with items, catch it and try, you go insanely far

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Oh wow, I just went to training mode and tried this out. It's really incredible. He slides about half the distance of FD. Imagine gliding over to your opponent from halfway across the stage and unleashing a fully charged Giant Punch right in their face. That would be great. XD

justexisting

Smash Rookie
I've been considering making DK my alt, and this sounds like an interesting quirk. I'll have to play with it a bit, thanks for the heads up

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I purposly chose not to glide toss with DK assuming it would be balls. Great find Bigfoot. =)

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Haha... i was just playing with this today. Its incredibly useful and funny, doing a glide toss - hitting diddy - then a fsmash as you glide toward him while he's still on the ground from the slip.

I didn't realize that you could also throw the item down/up, instead of foward, as you're gliding... i don't know what the use would be but i guess its interesting.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Nice, I've been using this vs. Diddy and ROB lately.

I imagine it would be great in doubles, it practically guarantees at least a ftilt if you hit with a banana

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Haha... i was just playing with this today. Its incredibly useful and funny, doing a glide toss - hitting diddy - then a fsmash as you glide toward him while he's still on the ground from the slip.

I didn't realize that you could also throw the item down/up, instead of foward, as you're gliding... i don't know what the use would be but i guess its interesting.
i guess for DK it wouldnt be very useful to throw it down since you slide so far away from it, but a diddy would usually throw it down and slide backwards for defensive purposes.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
If you throw it down with a glide backwards, then Fsmash/>B/Punch, you can catch a Diddy trying to dash attack you. He'll either slip on the banana and eat the free hit, or catch the banana with his dash. If he catches it, his options are limited. Punch will SA through an attack, >B will pressure shield.

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
I've had some success using this against Snake's grenades. Sometimes it's not possible to pick up grenades with enough time, since some Snakes like to cook them a bit before tossing, but I've noticed that it's more popular to throw a preliminary grenade out and then cook a second. Either way, if you pick up a nade and glide toss forward while throwing it back, you don't get caught in the explosion and you're squared up for a double bair. If you were too close, you slide through him and can just grab him from behind. Both are nice set ups for the easiest spike known to man.

Again, this can get real ugly if cooking another grenade since you'll just explode upon kick and then get jab comboed. I think it works well enough to be used once in awhile, though.

I think generally when I glide toss I throw backwards so I can quickly double bair. Against shorter characters (read: Diddy), I throw forward and follow with a dsmash or fsmash as TechnoMonster hinted at. Definitely a neat technique for DK.

Top Bottom