• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Worst matchup (TOP 3).

cablepuff

Smash Ace
So would "Experience" and "knowledgeable" people like to post what they think are dk's top three worst matchup and why?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I hope i qualify as "experienced" or "knowledgable" enough, but here's my list

#1 Falco cuz he's falco, and any stage where dk has some kind of an advantage (at places like final d where dk can 0 to death him, falco can just sit back and spam). Its nearly impossible to grab falco with dk since a shield grab isn't working against a good falco anytime soon, and doing things like a b air into a grab is useless since its hard just to turn around for a b air. everytime you try to turn around, a lazer hits you and you're facing him again. And dding doesn't do much for you.

#2 I'd have to say sheik. She is just too fast for dk. She isn't nearly as bad as falco (there is a huge gap between 1 and 2), but she can't really be combo'd by dk if she plays smart and has a decent di game. Her b air edgeguarding is **** against dk. Tech chasing is a pain in the ***. Overall, its really hard to put enough damage on her and get the KO before she gets it on you.

#3 I know that some people will disagree with me, but i'd have to say fox. Sure DK can beat the snot out of that rodent if he grabbed him, but thats if he can grab him. Take away DK's grab game, and its slaughter. I don't know about you guys, but i've played some very technical fox players, and grabbing them isn't a walk in the park. My friend KFC is nearly impossible to grab since he knows all the moves that DK can do into a grab. Fox can actually edgeguard dk very well, much better than most might think. KFC will ledge stall into a shine to edgeguard me, or even just use the d air since it can't be tech'd and dk's vertical recovery is so horrible. This is just my oppinion, everyone's gonna have their own

Falcon, Peach and Marth are after, not neccessarily in that order

hugQ Cortex

Master
#1 Falco cuz he's falco, and any stage where dk has some kind of an advantage (at places like final d where dk can 0 to death him, falco can just sit back and spam). Its nearly impossible to grab falco with dk since a shield grab isn't working against a good falco anytime soon
If the Falco starts to laser camp, I like to just sit there and powershield, then start slightly holding the control stick to the left/right so I can slowly advance while attempting to powershield the oncoming lasers, or continue to sit there and let him come to me. What do you think of this method? I personally find this very effective, especially when playing as Samus, my main, mostly because she has a great powershield. For the second point you bring up, about shieldgrabbing Falco, wouldn't powershielding be helpful here too? I mean, if you powershield Falco's d-air, I believe DK can shieldgrab him.

I agree with everything else you said.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
If the Falco starts to laser camp, I like to just sit there and powershield, then start slightly holding the control stick to the left/right so I can slowly advance while attempting to powershield the oncoming lasers, or continue to sit there and let him come to me. What do you think of this method? I personally find this very effective, especially when playing as Samus, my main, mostly because she has a great powershield. For the second point you bring up, about shieldgrabbing Falco, wouldn't powershielding be helpful here too? I mean, if you powershield Falco's d-air, I believe DK can shieldgrab him.

I agree with everything else you said.
Its hard to power shield with DK, i think it has something to do with his size, but i'm not sure. I know its easier with some characters than others, but i find it difficult to do with DK. If you can power shield that consistently, go for it, more power to you. I don't think its that reliable of a method though unless you've really mastered it.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord

#1 Falco cuz he's falco, and any stage where dk has some kind of an advantage (at places like final d where dk can 0 to death him, falco can just sit back and spam). Its nearly impossible to grab falco with dk since a shield grab isn't working against a good falco anytime soon, and doing things like a b air into a grab is useless since its hard just to turn around for a b air. everytime you try to turn around, a lazer hits you and you're facing him again. And dding doesn't do much for you.

#2 I'd have to say sheik. She is just too fast for dk. She isn't nearly as bad as falco (there is a huge gap between 1 and 2), but she can't really be combo'd by dk if she plays smart and has a decent di game. Her b air edgeguarding is **** against dk. Tech chasing is a pain in the ***. Overall, its really hard to put enough damage on her and get the KO before she gets it on you.

#3 I know that some people will disagree with me, but i'd have to say fox. Sure DK can beat the snot out of that rodent if he grabbed him, but thats if he can grab him. Take away DK's grab game, and its slaughter. I don't know about you guys, but i've played some very technical fox players, and grabbing them isn't a walk in the park. My friend KFC is nearly impossible to grab since he knows all the moves that DK can do into a grab. Fox can actually edgeguard dk very well, much better than most might think. KFC will ledge stall into a shine to edgeguard me, or even just use the d air since it can't be tech'd and dk's vertical recovery is so horrible. This is just my oppinion, everyone's gonna have their own

My list is pretty much the same.

El HP

Smash Ace
1-Sheik: she is just too fast combos the living crap of DK, needles are too good on recovery and grabs **** DK, she is also kinda hard to kill and edgeguard.

2-C.Falcon: just like sheik grabs destroy DK and he can make a combo video in a single match against DK, good thing you can also combo him to hell and destroy his crappy recovery.

3-Falco: lasers and DK size= no good, combos are too good but like falcon you can combo him to hell and **** his crappy recovery.

Overall DK like every other heavyweight has problems with speedy characters.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Fox and Falco are up there. Sheik I'm not totally sure about--it's tough, but not THAT tough.

What about Jiggly and Climbers? I think ICies are my least favorite matchup with DK. The back air just doesn't work (and maybe that's why I don't like this matchup, because back air is all I do), grabs don't work, and you get comboed like nobody's B. But actually, I haven't done this one much at all and I imagine ground slap or stomp could be useful.
Obviously, any Jiggly who knows what he (or she) is doing will rest you all over the place.

Falcon, Peach and Marth as the second three--really? Peach and Falcon are pretty tough (although I hear some DKs like Peach), but Marth isn't that bad. I would rather play against Marth than a LOT of characters. Maybe I'm just weird.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Fox and Falco are up there. Sheik I'm not totally sure about--it's tough, but not THAT tough.

What about Jiggly and Climbers? I think ICies are my least favorite matchup with DK. The back air just doesn't work (and maybe that's why I don't like this matchup, because back air is all I do), grabs don't work, and you get comboed like nobody's B. But actually, I haven't done this one much at all and I imagine ground slap or stomp could be useful.
Obviously, any Jiggly who knows what he (or she) is doing will rest you all over the place.

Falcon, Peach and Marth as the second three--really? Peach and Falcon are pretty tough (although I hear some DKs like Peach), but Marth isn't that bad. I would rather play against Marth than a LOT of characters. Maybe I'm just weird.
eh, like i said, everyone's gonna have their own opinions. I try to make my list based off of fighting these characters when the user has DK experience. I **** tons of falco's, foxes, sheiks, marths, etc that are pretty good, but they don't have dk experience, so i try to omit those matches when i'm considering worst matchups

Gea

Smash Master
I would rather play against Marth than a LOT of characters. Maybe I'm just weird.
No, any character with good range tends to not really fear Marth all that bad because he so depends on his own range that many Marth players really can't handle matched range all that well. Where as characters that are all about up close and personal know all about dealing with range already. DK is all about that range too. Ftilt > marth

halfDemon

Smash Lord
1. Ice Climbers: DK's grab game doesn't work. DK's use of BAir doesn't work. Therefore, DK doesn't work.

2. Falco: Laser spam is hard to get around, and Falco's combos **** DK. And he can be hell to grab with L-cancel > shine.

3. Peach: Her edgeguarding > your recovery. Turnip camping is annoying, and she's not the easiest to stretch out combos against. Plus, she can live longer than you.

3. Fox: Faster than Falco, but no laser stun. And better edgeguarding, in my opinion, because Falco can be edgeteched, and Fox's shine can't.

Next: Sheik, Falcon, Marth, Jiggs in no specific order.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
1. Ice Climbers: DK's grab game doesn't work. DK's use of BAir doesn't work. Therefore, DK doesn't work.
I have to greatly disagree there. DK's b airs are **** against IC's. Camping with b airs works really well on them. Run away and charge the giant punch and spam b airs. This isn't as bad of a matchup as most people might think. And the giant punch almost always hits nana, and down b works really well against the ic's. You can even ko nana instantly if you manage to grab her when she's away from popo. You can jump off the edge and throw her forward or down and she can't recover by herself. I think this match is not that, dk has much worse fights

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I have to greatly disagree there. DK's b airs are **** against IC's. Camping with b airs works really well on them. Run away and charge the giant punch and spam b airs. This isn't as bad of a matchup as most people might think. And the giant punch almost always hits nana, and down b works really well against the ic's. You can even ko nana instantly if you manage to grab her when she's away from popo. You can jump off the edge and throw her forward or down and she can't recover by herself. I think this match is not that, dk has much worse fights
I'm not arguing. I've only played one decent ICs player with my DK, and that's when I just started out with DK, so I have no real facts, just speculation.
Truly epic comedy. And an excellent tradgedy as well.

El HP

Smash Ace
I'm surprised to see most users don't consider Sheik as DK's worst match maybe is just me? I just can't see any favorable points in this match for the big ape.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
You just ate your own eye...
I'm surprised to see most users don't consider Sheik as DK's worst match maybe is just me? I just can't see any favorable points in this match for the big ape.
Just because she's not top three, doesn't mean she isn't hard. That being said, DK can combo her quite well, and edgeguarding isn't too tough. And that's fact.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
She's number 2 on my list. Its possible to combo her, although difficult, and the b air i believe will beat most of if not all of her moves. Its a really tough match and greatly favors sheik, but its not completely impossible. You just have to do a lot of crazy **** that a sheik player would never expect, and it might just be my style of play (i use the giant punch a ridiculous amount of times in one match sometimes), but using the giant punch a lot can usually help you get your much needed KO's.

Me14k

Smash Lord
I agree with half.

And bair, while if it hits ***** ICs..a good IC player will avoid the bair and grab you hence the stock.

DK loses to ICs as Sheik Loses to ICs=no grab game.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I agree with half.

And bair, while if it hits ***** ICs..a good IC player will avoid the bair and grab you hence the stock.

DK loses to ICs as Sheik Loses to ICs=no grab game.
The b airs worked just fine against ChuDat when i played him. If you shffl it and run away and repeat, and your spacing is good, it works great. I lost to chudat, but it was extremely close since i had him at over 100 damage with just popo left when i lost, and this was on final d, ic's stage. Its all about spacing your b airs and using the giant punch. Don't chase the ic's, let them come to you. There's no reason to go to them. If they wanna sit back and spam ice blocks, just jump over them and charge your giant punch. And i don't see why you would even try to grab the ic's, if you're doing that, then of course you're gonna lose.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
The b airs worked just fine against ChuDat when i played him. If you shffl it and run away and repeat, and your spacing is good, it works great. I lost to chudat, but it was extremely close since i had him at over 100 damage with just popo left when i lost, and this was on final d, ic's stage. Its all about spacing your b airs and using the giant punch. Don't chase the ic's, let them come to you. There's no reason to go to them. If they wanna sit back and spam ice blocks, just jump over them and charge your giant punch. And i don't see why you would even try to grab the ic's, if you're doing that, then of course you're gonna lose.
This.

Also, DK can camp the climbers very well.

I've beaten chu's ICs twice too!

I think DK's three worst matchups are

1. Sheik- Chaingrab, Tilts, speed and that's just to hard to counter with DK
2. Marth- Sword+ 2nd biggest target in the game= ****
3. Captain Falcon/Ganondorf-most of ganondorf's attack sheild poke. Falcon's can chaingrab you and combo the hell outta you and it's hard to escape with DK

other bad matchups

Jigglypuff- my personal worst matchup because the jiggs players i play always get me with rest.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You can't, although if you don't di away, she can do a simple little jab and regrab, and she can tech chase so well, she might as well be cg'ing you. But just plain d throw regrab doesn't work

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Any tips on edgeguarding sheik would be appreciated.
Grab the edge so she can't, and when she teleports onto the stage, ledge hop u air, and if she's at higher damage, giant punch that *****, if its not charged, b air her back out, if she's at lower damages, u air combo her into said giant punch or b air, or even a f air

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Fox/Falco are up there. So is Sheik.

Next is probably Jiggs/ICs. ICs are weird though because DK can kill them at lower percents so it can go the other way too.

Then probably Falcon but he isn't too bad. B-air eats anything he can throw at you and a f-tilt will beat most of it too. He combos well and is very easy to get low percent kills on. Both characters can do so much offensively to each other it can easily go back and forth.

Peach isn't too bad either if you can stay on the stage.

I haven't played any really good Y. Links but decent ones give me trouble because they can just run and throw crap at you all day and you can't combo them well.

A good Pikachu can be tough but it certainly isn't a horrible match for DK. I just thought I'd throw it out there because it is often overlooked.

Marth and Ganon are some of DK's better match-ups. You guys are crazy.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Fox/Falco are up there. So is Sheik.

Next is probably Jiggs/ICs. ICs are weird though because DK can kill them at lower percents so it can go the other way too.

Then probably Falcon but he isn't too bad. B-air eats anything he can throw at you and a f-tilt will beat most of it too. He combos well and is very easy to get low percent kills on. Both characters can do so much offensively to each other it can easily go back and forth.

Peach isn't too bad either if you can stay on the stage.

I haven't played any really good Y. Links but decent ones give me trouble because they can just run and throw crap at you all day and you can't combo them well.

A good Pikachu can be tough but it certainly isn't a horrible match for DK. I just thought I'd throw it out there because it is often overlooked.

Marth and Ganon are some of DK's better match-ups. You guys are crazy.
Long time no post.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Grab the edge so she can't, and when she teleports onto the stage, ledge hop u air, and if she's at higher damage, giant punch that *****, if its not charged, b air her back out, if she's at lower damages, u air combo her into said giant punch or b air, or even a f air
I've been messing around with this, but instead, I get the ledge to force her to go on the stage, then down air into a slightly charged up smash. It is brutal and it works.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I've been messing around with this, but instead, I get the ledge to force her to go on the stage, then down air into a slightly charged up smash. It is brutal and it works.
Yeah, that works great at mid damage. You have to change it up though if she di's, (i think she can di to the side, but i don't remember for sure), but either way, d air works great too

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Yeah, that works great at mid damage. You have to change it up though if she di's, (i think she can di to the side, but i don't remember for sure), but either way, d air works great too
Yeah if she DIs, you can't really charge as much. Also, it's not only at mid damage, because i've been using this to KO sheik off the top recently, and it works on every neutral stage except dreamland 64. Give it a try, really. :)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Yeah if she DIs, you can't really charge as much. Also, it's not only at mid damage, because i've been using this to KO sheik off the top recently, and it works on every neutral stage except dreamland 64. Give it a try, really. :)
I was just talking about when sheik isn't at such high damage that she goes flying up way too high to hit her with an u smash after you d air her. I know it works well, lol, i use it whenever i can.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Long time no post.
Yeah, I've kind of lost interest in the game. However I did enter a 2v2 tournament here on campus last weekend and having not played once since May we won without losing a set (only 2 rounds all tourny in fact, but pool play was a joke). There were no big names at the tournament but there were some pretty decent players. DK/Kirby team FTW.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Although I am in no means a good DK, I get the idea of how to play him, as well as how he should fight, and I would say that he does have a lot of trouble with falco, the others I am not sure as none of my friends play them.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Definately Fox, Falco, and Shiek.
They have too much going from them in this matchup.
CFalcon trails closely behind while Peach and Marth are beatable. Pretty much, the faster characters give DK the most trouble.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
From my experiences My worse three have been

#1 Falco - Those lasers are so friggin annoying and it's so hard to grab him caues of the Laser Spammage. It's so hard for DK to get close to the guy and like Mexican said, any stage that DK can have an advantage, Falco has it also. He can get shin combo'd pretty easily edgeguarded pretty well.

#2. Sheik - I guess this would be number 2 under falco is because I haven't played alot of shiekd playerd but i've noticed she's easier to grab and when you do ou can get one UAir in and either force her to double jump (which can lead to many more Headbutts) or continue the process. The tilts are a pain for DK, add that with tidious platforms and you have a hell of a problem on your hands.

#3 for me, and others might not feel this way, is Ganondorf. I have serous problems with G-Dorf with my DK. I mean n00b ganons it's really easy to Shield Grab and combo to death, but more skilled ganon's can space all day on dk and there's not much he can really do. Ganon's Jab stops any means of shield grab after a Fair and Ganon can build Damage on DK REALLY fast cause of DK's girth and overall body wait (DAir to UPSmash to FAir or UAir is instant 75+ damage).

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I was just talking about when sheik isn't at such high damage that she goes flying up way too high to hit her with an u smash after you d air her. I know it works well, lol, i use it whenever i can.
At higher percents, wouldn't a ledgehopped FAir get less height than the DAir, and still have enough hit stun for a charged smash?

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
No, you can't get high enough for the spike part to hit. It knocks them away.

Also, a Ganon with great spacing can be tough, but just don't be as aggressive. Don't space your moves. Try and get in close. Land you b-airs and n-airs right on top of him and L-cancel that **** into an u-b. Maybe even try to grab him out of it. He combos fairly well out of the grab.

Also, the Hurricane works well on him if he doesn't CC the first hit and jab. Try to get him off the stage as soon as possible and as often as possible regardless of damage. He is so easy to edge-guard you can get some easy low percent kills on him.

Giant punch FTW.

Top Bottom