• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Videos, looking for Critique New videos added May 2

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Hey, I'm new to this section of the boards, but I've been working on my DK for quite some time. It's picked up a lot of the "traditional" techniques lately, but started out very unconventional from the videos I've seen. Let me know what you think, and if there are other conventional techniques I should be getting better with. Thanks!

Money Match vs Bluewolf's Pikachu:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Friendlies vs AaroSmashGuy:
vs Fox
vs CFal 1
vs CFal 2
vs CFal 3
vs Young Link 1
vs Young Link 2
vs Roy
vs Falco 1
vs Falco 2
vs Falco 3

I'll be adding more as I get them uploaded.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I only watched a couple videos but I like your DK. Your style is interesting. I really don't see anything wrong with your techniques.

The only thing I'd say is that it is pretty easy to see when you're going for a grab most of the time. You tend to just DD or dash in and go for it. You did attempt a n-air into one I saw, which is awesome.

Also, you maybe rely a bit too much on the grab. You go for it a lot. Your DK is certainly good enough that you don't have to do that. Just take it when it presents itself, like a SG. After a shielded arial, if you are facing away from them u-b. If you're facing them, grab.

Nice DK though. It is good and unique.

pdk

Smash Lord
in the first pikachu match i notice that you couldn't JC grabs and very rarely try to go off to the side instead of straight down after getting knocked above the stage; try saving your up+b/ airdodge until you're in pika's range or closer to the ground

King Kong

Smash Lord
Your DK is very good to watch and you have a lot of nice combos going for you.

You pretty much have the character down. There are just a couple of little things that were going wrong in your game.

The main one i could spot was that you tend to shield as soon as you were put under pressure. In the end your opponents just started to get free grabs off on you. Try using the Up-B out of your shield to try and counter this or try some other options instead.

Nice DK man.

peace out

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Few things I noticed is that you have some troubles with jump canceling those grabs. Also you could try and finish your opponents some times by CCing a Down Smash. Perhaps you could try to Light Shield some more too?

Overall you got a very good DK, and props for using the black one! ;) I enjoyed most of your matches.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
By watching the all the money matches and 1 match of a friendly you have a good DK. But at times you seem to get distracted. Like on the third MM when you had the upper hand you would go and kill the sky guy... and then that would get you into trouble. I dont know if it was just these macthes but you also over-taunted. Thats what I have just found, dont know if you will agree.

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
Your DK is very solid. I think you should become more agressive in terms of edge guarding. Make use of DKs down B, and also get more consistent with the chain grab combos on the space animals. Should be one grab, one stock. Make use of DKs rolling speed and throw that in a lot when fighting Falco or Fox as well.

Over all though, the speed of your DK is good. I also love how you use the charge to edge hog at times too. Just practice being more consistent at what you do. That's my biggest problem too. :)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
For the record, there is no such thing as over-taunting.

In fact when my friends and I play if the other person gets 5 complete taunts while you are alive then you have to lose a stock*.

*Does not apply to final stock.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
i know this threads oldas hell but yeah ill critique... the main thing u need to work on in my opinion is ur edgeguarding. against his faclo and falcon u did the up-b so many times and got punished for it so many times. often all u need is a nice edgehog or back ariel. and no, you dont have to do the up-b into edgehog everytime either. i kind of realize u were just experimenting with stuff and screwing around in those matches, but when ur playing someone as good as arosmashguy, u cant expect ur opponent to screw up their di or not up-b fast enough to get back or whatever. also i think u used the fair too liberally. thats not to say u shouldnt use it at all u got some great fair finishers in a few games but u used it in ur aproach a bunch and I saw u get punished for it too often. try substuting it for a nair sometimes (make sure to ff and l cacnel the **** out of it, whether its from a shorthop, doublejump, whatever..) it goes right into a grab at low percent and has less lag in pretty much every respect. besides that i really liked ur games and besides the obvious advice anyone can give u (dont miss l-cancels, jc ur grabs, mindgamez) i dont think theres much to improve on. oh yeah and in a couple matches it was like u just forgot about the big punch alltogether whereas in other ones it seemed like ur main priority was to charge it up before doing anything else. u didnt land the big one too many times (except when u ***** that marth) but i think it helped ur overall mind gameage even just jumping around and charging it for the approach so yeah DONT FORGET ABOUT THE BIG PUNCH.... ITS ALWAYS THERE

DK_4_LYFE

Smash Rookie
nice fights. ur awesome at the generic style, but i dont really see how u expanded on the general technique. but ne who's i noticed a lot of un neccesary sheilding but im guessing thats not DK specific so u did a wonderful job.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try to add some more recent videos to these, in which I've worked on lots of the things you guys are saying. I think it's all been a pretty big help.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
WooT Sparrow RePreSENT! lol but seriously man i really enjoy watching your DK, makes me wanna go and practice some low tier chars :D, idk if i've ever seen anyone even beat aaron before this thread lol

Top Bottom