• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(DK) Pokemon Trainer: What do you think of him?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm just going around asking people what they think of Pokemon trainer. I want to ask the same of you guys. I'm not trying to start any flame wars(please dont start them). This is just a general discussion so speek freely. Tell me what you like or dont like about him. Do you think PT is any good against DK or is DK a bad match up for PT. So tell me what you think. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. :chuckle:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Poke'mon is a pretty cool guy eh trains Poke'mon and doesn't afraid of anything.

On a serious note, I usually just switch to Fox whenever I play against Poke'mon Trainer so I couldn't really tell you. Not really sure why I switch to Fox either, just seems easier to me. I like Poke'mon Trainer because he has Squirtle.

5yphon

Smash Cadet
I dont play many pokemon trainers but when i do i am usally dk so i guess i can help you answer your question.
----Charazard----- Against him i just keep my spacing and try to kill him early with a f-smash. Dk has a better air game and a faster ground game than charzard and then go for the kill around 90-100% with a f-smash. b fully charged with a headbut around 60% works too.
-----Ivasaur----- this is a harder matchup because of his stupid vines and razor leaf thing. but just catch him with a f-smash and gimp his sorry ***** ****ing pokemon ***.
-----Squrtle----- Dk has more range than him on the ground and in the air. He dies early with a dsmash or f smash around 90
----Conclusion----- pokemon trainer has nothing on dk his pokemon are not even real while dk is based off of something real that makes him way cooler pokemon are ****ing gay and suck ****.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well, I take DK as a threat. It's a bit odd how people underestimate him. DK has game, right now just knowing the moves and capabilities of each cahracter, I think DK-PT is an even match up.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur would be the only one that could pose a threat but then again hes light and has ****ty recovery so it balances out. I would say DK 60-40 on this one

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I honestly think DK is one of Ivysaur's easiest fights. Both play pretty similarly in the fact that they use Ftilt, Dtilt, and Bair to maintain spacing and have large grab range. Ivysaur has cool stuff going though because of Razor Leaf and Donkey Kong being a heavy makes Bullet Seed a little scarier. What I notice though is that Donkey Kong has an easier time getting the final hit in, as Fsmash is really predictable. If DK messes up his recovery he's going to eat Usmash and die, though.

I 'dunknow what's with all the Charizard being worthless, though. I'm pretty sure Charizard's grab range is equal to or greater than DK's, and Charizard has a better off-stage game with multiple jumps and Bair/Fair. I have a pretty easy time spiking DK out of his recovery. Charizard is actually pretty similar to DK on-stage, both have quick attacks for their weight-class and good range, though DK does win out in range. Donkey Kong doesn't really like Flamethrower though, and if DK misses just about any attack he'll eat Rock Smash. Charizard shouldn't try to Rock Smash around a Giant Punch though, that never works out because of the super armor.

Squirtle does terrible. Out-ranged, killed easily, has trouble killing, and has no projectile. Good. Luck.

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
Contrary to common belief here, I think Venusaur is DK's easiest matchup here. Squirtle might have a 55-45 advantage over DK, and I think DK has about 60-65 to 40-35 edge over Charizard.

Overall, I think PT gives DK trouble, but Squirtle will have to be a one-man show to actually win.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Are you serious? Ivysaur does leagues and beyond MUCH better than Squirtle. I mean, all Squirtle's basically got going for him is that DK is heavy and can be juggled with just Utilt at low percentages. Otherwise, you're out-ranged, any aerial attempt can easily be shield-grabbed by DK, you're not killing at any effective percentage and you'll probably fatigue before it, and DK can kill you at some really low percentage.

Ivysaur's above, not really posting it again.

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
I've played some good PTs, but never had a problem with this match up. A good number of them lost simply because they stayed squirtle for one round. I've killed squirtle at some crazy low %s, and generally he doesn't do too well vs a good DK. Squirtle just doesn't do enough damage, and is way too light. Ivysaur can be annoying, but once you've damaged him a bit a single grab can really end it for him. He's also pretty slow and predictable. I find myself landing a lot of DK punches, and Fsmashes on the poor guy.(Especially the Fsmash.) Charizard is actually not so bad, but he tends to just be outclassed by DK's range, weight, and speed. Charizard at least has some good damaging moves, and a nasty grab. No idea why charizard is so gimpy though, he has wings and barely uses them.

I think this match up may be somewhat in DK's favor, but I also don't think I've played any pro PTs either.

Edit: Ivysaur*

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
If the PT's you're playing are trying to keep Squirtle out versus DK as much as possible, they obviously have no grasp on the match-up. D=

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I totally agree with Retro. If PT's are keeping out squirtle the whole time, they dont have any grasp on the match up. I might do that accidentally because I may get in the zone as squirtle and forget to switch out but I usually do end up switching out to ivysaur, like PT is supposed to be used. Switching out is key to PT.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I have a hard time with charizard sometimes.

Rocksmash and firebreath is mostly it, theres a few other annoying things

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Squirtle is way too fast against DK
Ivysaur has up air which kills DK at 80% and also bullet seed
Charizard has rock smash which is so easy to sweet spot on DK cuz he's so big.

I'd say it's an even match up 5:5

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
I have a hard time with charizard sometimes.

Rocksmash and firebreath is mostly it, theres a few other annoying things
Of all the PTs I played, the best one had a really good charizard and it did better than Ivysaur vs me. I find Ftilting Ivysaur is really effective, even using downB or grounded upB. Charizard is usually pretty effective since DK doesn't like people who hit about as hard as he does.

This match-up could be close to even, but I still think DK can take advatange of each pokemon's weaknesses(they each have some considerable weaknesses), and come out on top more than 50% of the time. The biggest problem for PT in this match-up is Ivysaur and Charizard are both considerably slow, and Squirtle isn't that good vs DK. There's no 4th pokemon to make up for Ivysaur and Charizards lack of speed. Plus they both can be gimped pretty badly, especially Ivysaur. At least one stock per match I've played has been to a pretty good gimp. So if your PT play hard not get gimped, because DK is a really good gimper.(Watch out especially as Ivysaur.)

Also for the DK's out there, I've used a platform to footstool gimp on Ivysaur before that works pretty well. You can attempt it anytime Ivysaur is coming back for a tether recovery, and your on a stage like Battlefield. You won't always have time to go for a full gimp so this can work well as an alternate gimp. When Ivysaur is going for a tether recovery, if your standing on one of the far side platforms(the ones in the air) quickly walk off and fall slightly above where he'll be, and this leaves him with 2 options: (1)Try to hit you with an attack or airdodge, which almost always results in his death since he can't recover now. (2)Attempt a tether recovery which may work if your timing was off leaving the platform. However, if you timed it right you can use your 2nd jump to footstool him as he's going for the tether recovery. Now lets say you miss the footstool, you can still use your upB and catch him with it on the ledge which tends to knock him off at angles in which he cannot recover at all(Like a CSS.) Most opponents will get caught up in this. This is most useful if you've knocked Ivysaur somewhat off the stage rather than skyhigh, and don't have time to try to Bair gimp, etc.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I have played this match-up too many times to count against Will_. I think he's given up on DK vs. PT.

Ivysaur has a significant advantage in that while they both have a similar style, Ivysaur is just plain faster at it. Tilts, Nairs, Bullet Seed, Bair are the primary moves and they work exceedingly well because DK is big. And DK doesn't really have any effective approach against Ivysaur. **** up, and you're seeded, or worse, hit by Usmash, etc.

Charizard is a bit closer, but Zard still has advantage. More of the same reasoning - DK just doesn't have an effective approach. Flamethrower stops every option in that department, and when you're not using that, it's Rock Smash or Ftilt to keep the spacing and pressure up. Charizard grabs and gimps DK like no tomorrow. Zard has a tendency to eat a lot of Bair though.

Squirtle just needs to get the **** out. It's like 8-2 DK's favor. Squirtle can't get inside, can't kill, it's awful.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Charizard: A pretty hard matchup just because their whole game is pretty much centered around Rock Smash and Flamethrower. Both of these are deadlier than Bullet Seed. DK seems to win out in the air though and has slightly more range.

Ivysaur: You can smash DI out of bulletseed and the spacing can be a little tricky but in the end DK doesn't have too hard of a time gimping with bair.

Squirtle: Hard. Fairs and Bairs need to be punished with shieldgrabs but usually they DI back and once you're used to shielding he will get those deadly dthrows on you. Usmash is easy to mindgame for Squirtle as well and it isn't too easy to space him. He dies early, though and is gimpable.

magikguy

Smash Lord
well for me charizard is the easiest easy to hit .
squirtle is annoying as hell , ivysaur not that hard when you send him flying off the stage.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Ivysaur is the only one who poses a real threat. His medium weight makes him harder to kill then squirtle, and he has more range than both of them (which counters one of DK's strengths...his obscene range).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
squirtle needs to mix things up with his shellshifting and such to bait dk into openings. squirtle can really take advantage of it and string together some of his quick attacks...

but yeah, you don't want squirtle to get fatigued. this applies to everyone but DEFINITELY moreso against dk.

also water gun can gimp spinning kong. :]

bokuboku1

Smash Rookie
i think his down b has less range than flamethrower but i think his down b is great against squritle.
any squrtle that slide at me in his shell can easily be stopped with a down b. thats my main strategy when fighting squrtle

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If charizard is trying to flamethrower you just wait at the end of it charging a donkey punch. Many lulz will be had.

Top Bottom