• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK edgeguards vs. different recovery vectors?

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I've been really getting into DK recently, and starting to place at a tourney or two with him. However, I play at a disadvantage: I can't edgeguard effectively with him. I'm used to Ganon, and many times I end up too low after a dair or fair to recover.

What do you guys use for edgeguarding? The only effective strategy I have now is if they are recovering from low and away, edgehog to bair, repeat. This, however, gets my bair nice and stale.

Uncle_Donkey

Smash Rookie
You can also use side-b (headbutt) to edgeguard. Down-air and forward-air are much more effective spikes, but side-b virtually stops DK's motion, making recovering easy. You have to be in the air for side-b to spike though.

crifer

Smash Lord
actually you dont have to be in the air for spiking with side-b.
when you cargo throw him off the stage at low % you can get with a little bit luck a free spike,
wihtout being in the air, just hit the enemy while he is in the air.
but i wouldn´t try it too often because the enemy will get used to it.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
If you want to spike below the stage, Fair or >B are your best bet. DK can run off the edge, immediately Fair, then DJ and UpB to recover to the edge. You can also drop down and Nair/Bair.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Dair/>B when they are close.

Fair if they are really high, it may not spike but it can still KO. (Meta Knight/Pit) You can also use this when they are close to spike.

Bair always works well.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Edgeguarding options are the final thing I need to feel comfortable with to give me a solid DK.

Dair is best slightly above and off the stage. >B is so **** good.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and how often do y'all use the quick Donkey Punch to return from hanging on the edge? Do you find it effective?

Top Bottom