• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK = champion

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, super-lurker here. Just wanted to say that I really love that, despite DK being (for some reason..) incredibly unpopular, you guys have a solid dk community going on here. I've always played DK in all of the mario-series games and love that he can finally step up in smash. I would have mained him in ssbm if he wasn't so sub-par. But no more!

So anyways yeah, just wanted to give a shout out to all you guys. Lets keep showing the world DK is high tier =P

(P.S. nothing is better then freaking out / dominating every single newb on gamebattles with a nasty DK main =] )

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, super-lurker here. Just wanted to say that I really love that, despite DK being (for some reason..) incredibly unpopular, you guys have a solid dk community going on here. I've always played DK in all of the mario-series games and love that he can finally step up in smash. I would have mained him in ssbm if he wasn't so sub-par. But no more!

So anyways yeah, just wanted to give a shout out to all you guys. Lets keep showing the world DK is high tier =P

(P.S. nothing is better then freaking out / dominating every single newb on gamebattles with a nasty DK main =] )
DK is NOT high tier.

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Wow, so friendly guys =)

For the record, delicious cake is delicious.

And saying n00b is nubby.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little insulted you would mention Link and DK in the same sentence, other than "DK is so much better than Link, that they shouldn't be included in the same sentence."

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Welcome, I just started using DK alot as well and I love him. Hes my new secondary after King Dedede. :)

DK was not subpar in Melee... he has hidden amazing potential. people were just too obsessed with the high tiers to give him a chance.

Youtube Bum's DK in Melee. He is amazing.

The Director

Smash Lord
DK is NOT high tier.
Yes, I agree. I think he's top tier. Let's face it, DK got the second best buff from Melee next to Zelda. I'd easily throw him into the top tier.

I'll chalk the lack of knowledge up to DK's unpopularity, which I must say, will probably keep him from ever officially being top tier. :ohwell:

DK was not subpar in Melee... he has hidden amazing potential. people were just too obsessed with the high tiers to give him a chance.
Thank you! I mained DK in Melee and wrecked. (in tournies as well as friendlies) Mostly because I don't think anybody saw it coming and didn't know how to play against him due to his incredible unpopularity.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I know you, i faced you on a gamebattles match and your DK put mine to shame >.>
And you guys should be more friendly, not discussing tiers

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Who, me? lol.

Gamebattles is annoying because you get punished so harshly for losing and play 100 matches against newbs for every 1 decent =match =(

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
I agree... I don't think ness was buffed that much, if at all. And even if he was he is dwarfed by lucas's leetness anyways =/

Easily GnW is second if not first in most improved. But thats not to say DK isn't solid. Then again, Snake is so top-tier who cares at this point =P

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
I personally think G&W received the biggest buff. Zelda had a big buff (which makes her more annoying than anything, thank you Din's Fire). Luigi did get a HUGE buff in that he can actually recover! And recover much better than many other characters (if you know how to use his down B properly). His aerials have been made a bit less combo friendly than in Melee, but that's the case with everyone.
Kirby had a big buff as well.

The problem with DK's buffs is that some of his big strengths were eliminated, Up B's initial attack frames, the crazy combo ability out of cargo, the spamability of back air (it's higher aim makes this very difficult on smaller characters). He's a much bigger target in this game, but on the plus side the larger size means further range for most attacks. Power is also much more important in this game compared to edgeguarding than it was in Melee. Oh, and being heavy actually makes a positive difference now (with verticle kills and all). Other characters being slowed down also plays into his favor. His verticle recover still sucks unfortunately. Overall he's had a nice buff, but it's been offset by cutbacks to his other strengths that made him him. This is all IMO, of course.

My buff ranking would be...

1. G&W
2. Zelda
3. Kirby
4. Luigi
5. Donkey Kong

He clearly isn't high tier, he has too many weaknesses, but he can be played quite effectively. Unfortunately, because of his weaknesses (against certain chracters especially) he probably won't win any major tournaments.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
Ness feels more user-friendly in brawl, imo anyways.

I do agree, DK = Champion.

He can win some major tournaments, it depends on the player and how effective can he pull off his strategies. I do agree that DK is not high tier, he's good, but not quite there.

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
I agree that DK is great but is any one else kinda hoping that DK isn't high tier, because to me, at least, it feels that when i use DK I'm being unique and actually trying something new.
Obviously I want all you guys to do well with DK in tourneys but if he remains a mid tier based on popularity it might also mean less people are ready for a DK.

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
I can relate. Half the fun is that its unique and viable. if he's too good, (which he isnt btw), he would become too popular and much less fun!

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I agree. I chose DK because he feels unique. None of my friend have even thought of using DK.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
DK is great. I dont main him, but hes so much fun with his insane range and great power, combined with attack speeds that are average at worst. His only real true downside is his size, which makes him a large target, that and the lack of vertical recovery distance.

Either way, down smash own newbs...hard.

King GeGeGe

Smash Rookie
on the buff subject I would say dk has had second highest buff after G&W, whoever said Luigi got very buffed has been severely misled, or just silly.

Top Bottom