• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dk against little guys

Super Wec

Smash Cadet
Ok, I love playing as DK but when i vs a light weight its ugly... they use all their weak attacks on me and get me to like 150s and then finish me off. all of dk's moves just wont work on them, and now i need a little a advice from you guys how to beat up small and fast chars.

products

Smash Rookie
Down tilt is nice to hit small characters, especially when they trip, you can follow up with a down-b and possibly into a dashing upsmash. Down smash kills at low percentages and you can always use stage spiking which is extremely cheap yet so rewarding.

FonDL

Smash Rookie
ftilts and dtilts are your friend, as are grabs, fsmash, and the dk punch. up b is a good quick snuffing move and has decent recovery on the ground.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Generally, with lightweight matches DK offensive solution should utilize Tilts and grabs. downB is still Amazing, just don't do any extra reps as you will get short hopped wacked. Your biggest priority is putting them off the stage. Your best options in this fight is DK's ledge guard potential. Who cares if you have to do 6 Bairs to keep them using upB, that's damage and mind games in your favor. Shield grab and Shield Dsmash are your best defensive options.

Honestly guys, this is something that should have been asked in the 101 or match-up thread.

There's too manyuselees threads around here.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
abuse your bairs also, space them because you have great range and them not so much. Use your ftilts and dtilts. IF you find that they are waiting for your tilts to end and then rushing you you can jab combo after your tilts or even smashes and most of the time if you space properly you can't be punished. Predict their air dodges and punish them with uairs and uptilts. Upb out of shield is good to get some space. If you counterpick somewhere like corneria it's easier to kill them. Also, dk's ftilt can knock away projectiles.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Your best combo against the little guys in Down tilt to Fsmash. simple, and very very effective. weight has every thing to do with horizontal knockback still doesn't it? if it does pick a stage with small side boundries

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Also, be careful with Bair. If done immediately from a shorthop it goes right over a lot of character's heads. But do it too slow and it doesn't come out. IMO Nair is a better aerial for dealing with short characters.

justexisting

Smash Rookie
short guys... i'm a pikachu player normally in brawl, but i've been thinking about making DK my alt. So far to the quick little guys I've been figuring that the best option is to either grab them on their approach, or get into a lot of rolling combat. my favorite way to finish the little guys off is forward B to stick them into the floor then Giant punch to the now exposed face. kills at fairly low % for the lightweights, but sadly most lightweights are quick enough not to get stuck in the ground. none the less, it is one option.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
it depends on the character, but keep yourself spaced, if they get in close either shield grab or dsmash to make them back off, range is your friend here, also the little fast guys die in the 60s against dk, so when they come in dk punch em and the super armor will beat whatever they're using. downb ftilt dtilt when they run at you, fsmash utilt bpunch when they come from the air. also, try to set up a usmash, that usually scares em, and might kill if they're at 50+.

the big thing is to hit with a few smashes inside to scare them into playing defensively, in which case your range takes over

Top Bottom