• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's not about if we prefer her as an echo. It's about her chances. Very limited slots for newcomers, very popular pics like K. Rool or Ridley or iconoc as Simon. Dixie is not tier 1 in popularity, she's not the main character of DK. ****, she's still in AT danger zone or probably in Diddy's final smash.
In fan ballots she's not among the very top. Geno, Isaac, K. Rool, Banjo, Bandana Dee... They crush her options for popular characters.

Those characters also got their potential for a full newcomer but... Echoes. Daisy with Toads? Chrom related to Roy? Dark Samus losing her unique AT attacks? Dixie with a lack of hair attacks? For me sounds similar. And a echo moveset... Just seems suitable for her. She fits well there. Her options for a clean new slot aren't the best, we know this. Even in the echo league her rivals are monsters like Ken or Shadow. Get it real, Dixie is not an easy choice.
Hey, if she's a unique fighter it could be a big surprise but I really doubt it.
Yeah fan polls, made by the hardcore fanbase, on the official ballot I'm doubtful characters like Geno and Isaac did as well as people believe.

Most of those characters aren't comparable to Dixie, Daisy has no moveset potential to pull from, Chrom is another generic swordsman, the only one who does is dark samus but if you trade out fire for phazon she's still representing her canon abilities mostly fine. Dixie always uses her hair as her main weapon and she should really do so in smash too.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah, this has been brought up before. Thing is, the only connection Dark Samus and Ridley really have is that they are both enemies to Samus. They have no direct relation to each other. However, this isn't the case for Dixie and K. Rool, as K. Rool is the final boss of both of the DKC games Dixie originally starred in.

I can't really think of how Dark Samus and Ridley would be revealed together in a single trailer, but Dixie and K. Rool? That's easy.
People really need to understand.

The first part of the last Direct was basically a Castlevania info dump. We've learned every look and cranny about the series representation in Ultimate beyond just playable characters.

K.Rool's trailer was that. A trailer for K.Rool and K.Rool alone. And even, with the villain montage at the beginning, why introduce a heroine at that time?

Spatman

Smash Ace
Although I would prefer at least a semi-clone, Chrom and Dark Samus have given me enough faith to make me okay with her being an echo.

I'm honestly not optimistic about her DLC chances if she misses the base game, so part of me feels like this is it until Smash 6.
It's very likely Smash6 will be a reboot with a quite smaller roster. If Dixie still isn't in in Ultimate with all her support and reasons to include her, I just can't see her included in a reboot with 40~ characters. In place of who? K rool? Diddy Kong? It's almost impossible.
For Dixie is literally now or never, so the best we can hope it's a semiclone in the base game or dlc (but dlcs, even if likely, aren't assured).
I think she will be the most diverse of echo fighters, but still an echo fighter, i the base game. Is it a shame? Pretty much, yes. But we must to accept the fact that for many people she would be just another monkey, very similar to diddy; and unluckily it seems that Sakurai is one of these people.
Better a well made echo than nothing at all, imo

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really think she deserves a place in the roster of smash ultimate. She's my favorite kong! Love to use her in DKC Diddy Kong's Quest, DKC Dixie Kong´s double trouble and in DKC Tropical Freeze.

I was hoping they reveal her in the King K Rool Trailer, but I get that was K Rool time to shine. I hope they give us Dixie next, it would be cool if she came and rescue DK and Diddy from K Rool

Spatman

Smash Ace
Dixie is and has always been one of my most wanted. I think she will get as unique, because TBH, I doubt Isaac will ever happen, due to not even remotely existing in smash 4. That’s a free spot for a character who’s more popular in Japan, and has relevancy + the ability to be a semi-clone without getting too far from her roots.

Edit: she also has a higher chance than Geno, because Square still won’t let Cloud have more than two songs, which really makes you question his chances.
Our roads cross again..!

Maybe in that case the problem isn't Square on a whole but specifically FF that could be a mess for what reguards rights (in particular for music pieces)

-New Pokemon
-Isaac
-Bandana Dee
-Chorus Kids or some other Rhythm Heaven character
-Isabelle (who is by no means guaranteed to be an echo)
-Geno
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Any other misc. third party I can't see coming

Are all "competition." I think it's pretty easy to see a scenario where there is too much competition for her to be unique.
Skull Kid too (the only char I want at the same way I want Dixie)

And... all these characters are old characters (beside the new pokemon). Beside Inkling, all other original newcomers are storic characters. It's FOR SURE there will be at least another (couple of) character(s) that are new/very relevant right now to aim to the newest players

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Now that K. Rool got in, I am absolutely in support of Dixie as well. Smash finally getting all of DKC’s main protagonists AND it’s main villain would be amazing. I think her best chance is as a Diddy echo that borrows some moves from DK, but a semiclone would be much preferred.

Yeah fan polls, made by the hardcore fanbase, on the official ballot I'm doubtful characters like Geno and Isaac did as well as people believe.
I’d be careful about this line of thinking; this is EXACTLY what people said about K. Rool before he got revealed. The people that cared enough to vote in those fan polls are the same majority of people that cared enough to vote on the Ballot.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Now that K. Rool got in, I am absolutely in support of Dixie as well. Smash finally getting all of DKC’s main protagonists AND it’s main villain would be amazing. I think her best chance is as a Diddy echo that borrows some moves from DK, but a semiclone would be much preferred.

I’d be careful about this line of thinking; this is EXACTLY what people said about K. Rool before he got revealed. The people that cared enough to vote in those fan polls are the same majority of people that cared enough to vote on the Ballot.
You're not entirely wrong but there's a massive difference between the size of K Rool's fanbase and geno's for example. Regardless though I still believe Dixie could've easily snuck in the top 10 or top 15 at least

StormC

Smash Hero
You're not entirely wrong but there's a massive difference between the size of K Rool's fanbase and geno's for example. Regardless though I still believe Dixie could've easily snuck in the top 10 or top 15 at least
She could, but we'll never know for sure. Dixie is an odd character because on some polls she does pretty well on, others she's a non-entity.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Dixie is and has always been one of my most wanted. I think she will get as unique, because TBH, I doubt Isaac will ever happen, due to not even remotely existing in smash 4. That’s a free spot for a character who’s more popular in Japan, and has relevancy + the ability to be a semi-clone without getting too far from her roots.

Edit: she also has a higher chance than Geno, because Square still won’t let Cloud have more than two songs, which really makes you question his chances.
I still find that Final Fantasy song thing super confusing. I'm pretty sure the song rights belong to the composer Nobuo Uematsu, who retired from Square and went freelance long ago. During his freelance days, he composed Brawl's main theme. So he's already cooperated with Sakurai before. I don't see why he wouldn't be happy with more Final Fantasy music in Ultimate, as his music is among the best in video games and he himself is a very reasonable and friendly guy. He was even on board with a huge number of compositions he made being in Final Fantasy XV despite having left Square on some bad terms back in the day. Imo there has to be something else going on with the music situation.

Also no one should sell Isaac short, I keep telling everyone this, but I'm fairly sure he's still a top supported character. His legacy of Smash support runs even longer than Dixie's and his status as the headline of an unrepresented IP that was actually massively successful has put him in contention for support around the world for a decade. He's arguably less niche than characters like Geno and Skull Kid, and has a following comparable to K Rool. People want to see a new and better Golden Sun game almost as fiercely as they wanted to see DK's Bowser return, and Smash is the way to revive it. Plus unique potential and such. I don't know why everyone thinks Isaac is localized to only the hardcore fanbase.

I just asked one of my closest friends (who's not a major part of the speculation scene) a few days ago who he'd like to see as a newcomer, and his response was a Golden Sun character of some kind. Another good friend fondly remembers the series and replays it every couple years, and even though he isn't a big Smash player, when i asked him what he would think of Isaac in Smash, he said "i would probably buy it if he got in, he'd be so cool". There's a lot of recognition for Golden Sun even outside of "some guy from a GBA game with a sword and Earth powers named Isaac that a few people want in Smash". Golden Sun means something to people.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

And... all these characters are old characters (beside the new pokemon). Beside Inkling, all other original newcomers are storic characters. It's FOR SURE there will be at least another (couple of) character(s) that are new/very relevant right now to aim to the newest players
This.

Neither Nintendo or Sakurai has specifically mentioned that this game's roster will be purely fan service. That idea has been spread by the community. While the return of all veterans and the inclusion of K. Rool and Ridely certainly point in this direction, people seem to have completely forgotten what Sakurai has said in the past regarding potential newcomers, i.e. relevancy, recognizable, etc. K. Rool, Ridley and Simon are massive and the first two were truly deserving to be in since a long time.

Having this in mind, I'm still not quite sold on the idea that Isaac/Geno/Banjo/Skull Kid will all make it into the game. All they have going for them is very, very high popularity, and mostly with hardcore fans. I don't believe an average current gamer will know who they are, with the exception of Skull Kid due to the 3DS remake perhaps.

Now, I'm not saying that popularity alone won't be enough for these characters, but that we should be cautious regarding our expectations and not forget too that there exist other factors that have always been considered in the past for character inclusion, like relevancy, game promotion, success of the series, contribution to franchise, etc.

For the record, I would LOVE if Banjo made it in, and would certainly welcome Isaac and Geno, who have massive moveset potential. Never played Majora's Mask, so I have no opinion on Skull Kid. But that'll change soon.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still not quite sold on the idea that Isaac/Geno/Banjo/Skull Kid will al make it into the game. All they have going for them is very, very high popularity, and mostly with hardcore fans. I don't believe an average current gamer will know who they are, with the exception of Skull Kid due to the 3DS remake perhaps.
Who is the "average current gamer?" They probably have no idea who Simon Belmont and K. Rool are if they don't know these characters.

People make up these casual boogeymen that apparently rocked the ballot or apparently are the audience Sakurai is worried about confusing, when in reality everything in this game points to catering to hardcore and longterm fans. K. Rool hadn't been in the mainstream since 1999 but he's here now.

This isn't to say the rest of the roster will read like a top 5 from the ballot, but it's definitely a big factor in this game.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Who is the "average current gamer?" They probably have no idea who Simon Belmont and K. Rool are if they don't know these characters.

People make up these casual boogeymen that apparently rocked the ballot or apparently are the audience Sakurai is worried about confusing, when in reality everything in this game points to catering to hardcore and longterm fans. K. Rool hadn't been in the mainstream since 1999 but he's here now.

This isn't to say the rest of the roster will read like a top 5 from the ballot, but it's definitely a big factor in this game.
Well K. Rool is a special case, as he may have been the ballot winner, or likely at the very top. He has everything going for him, except relevancy.

But yes, I agree with you that it has been (so far) the biggest factor regarding newcomers. But we don't know if the trend will continue. As Spatman said, I doubt no relevant characters in the same vein as Inkling will be included too.

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
Dixie is one of my most wanted characters and she deserves to be in Ultimate alongside King K. Rool, whether she's an echo, semiclone, or unique character. Add me to the supporters list.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
As a supporter of Isaac, that's definitely not true. Majora's Mask sold much better than any Golden Sun game, so Skull Kid is more well-known than Isaac.
I'm fully aware of this. Skull Kid doesn't represent an entire IP and is only a major character in one Zelda game out of more than 15 games. That is what I mean by "niche". Isaac is the face of an entire series.

Skull Kid is overall more well-known. But among Smash players? I'd argue Isaac has made a more lasting impact. Skull Kid gets "replaced" by the flavor of the month Zelda character each Smash cycle, or at least competes with them. His standing has only returned because MM got remade and Ghirahim and Midna have faded away over time. But Isaac doesn't have it so bad overall, not as bad as everyone believes.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Mmm, I disagree.
Among those characters, just Ghiraim I'd define flavour of the month (not a case, I guess: he's the less original, inventive, suggestive and charismatic among those characters imo) : Midna and even more Skull Kid remained very popular for 10 and 20 years.
Surely the remakes of their games helped them, but it's not a problem, since they made them relevant again with the right time for this smash.
And surely the bad reputation of skyward sword burdens ghiraim but again, it's not a problem: I mean, if his game isn't as memorable as the games of the other two, it just means that the character likely will be less beloved and popular and Smash-worthy

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
For Dixie's final smash, she should rock her guitar, while Tiny is alongside her rocking the saxophone! And Lanky can join Diddy in his final smash!
Chunky really should have been with DK in his final smash. Imagine the power coming from his triangle.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Our roads cross again..!

Maybe in that case the problem isn't Square on a whole but specifically FF that could be a mess for what reguards rights (in particular for music pieces)

The things is that there aren't that many new characters to pull from the Wii U era since they pulled the plug on that console. Realistically, the only games they could represent is Capt. Toad, Xenoblade X, DK Tropical Freeze and Spaltoon.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Couple more things I wanna point out: Bowser Jr and Ridley got revealed with Brawl remixes for their trailer themes, and Dark Samus got announced with a brand new remix. If Dixie gets revealed with Bramble Blast from Brawl, that will have little bearing on whether or not she's unique. Same thing for if her theme is completely new.

Okay, so with the currently known confirmations we see that fanservice is a big factor, and with every Smash we also have to consider the currently focused era. Wii U and 3DS is the main range of relevancy here, so a solid list of relevant characters would be:

-Bandana Dee (notable 3DS appearances and at least one on Wii U)
-Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze's preferred Kong)
-Skull Kid (Majora's Mask remake for 3DS)
-Most popular Pokemon from Sun and Moon
-Elma (from Xenoblade X, though she may have just missed her shot looking at the project plan)
-Inklings (the star of Wii U era, and they've been confirmed)

Any more contenders for the Relevancy List? Characters like Bandana and Skull Kid have a long running popularity, like Dixie but generally moreso. The Pokemon and Inklings will have the new hotness angle on their side too, and I'm personally not familiar with Elma so if anyone can, feel free to fill me in.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Holy moly, the supporter lists of each character on the speculation pages have been exploding recently, but Dixie has had such a huge influx after Rool's inclusion that she's now #2, losing only to Isaac.

We are now the 2nd most supported character on Smashboards. This bodes well for her inclusion as DLC if she doesn't make the base game. If we can keep supporting her adamantly over the next couple of years, her spot will be all but guaranteed at the rate we're going now.

I mean, we're beating Banjo and BWD at this point. Thanks Kutthroats for the boost lol.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Holy moly, the supporter lists of each character on the speculation pages have been exploding recently, but Dixie has had such a huge influx after Rool's inclusion that she's now #2, losing only to Isaac.

We are now the 2nd most supported character on Smashboards. This bodes well for her inclusion as DLC if she doesn't make the base game. If we can keep supporting her adamantly over the next couple of years, her spot will be all but guaranteed at the rate we're going now.

I mean, we're beating Banjo and BWD at this point. Thanks Kutthroats for the boost lol.
Noticed this too. I've always been a firm believer that Dixie was marginalized due to being in the shadow of the most requested character.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Couple more things I wanna point out: Bowser Jr and Ridley got revealed with Brawl remixes for their trailer themes, and Dark Samus got announced with a brand new remix. If Dixie gets revealed with Bramble Blast from Brawl, that will have little bearing on whether or not she's unique. Same thing for if her theme is completely new.

Okay, so with the currently known confirmations we see that fanservice is a big factor, and with every Smash we also have to consider the currently focused era. Wii U and 3DS is the main range of relevancy here, so a solid list of relevant characters would be:

-Bandana Dee (notable 3DS appearances and at least one on Wii U)
-Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze's preferred Kong)
-Skull Kid (Majora's Mask remake for 3DS)
-Most popular Pokemon from Sun and Moon
-Elma (from Xenoblade X, though she may have just missed her shot looking at the project plan)
-Inklings (the star of Wii U era, and they've been confirmed)

Any more contenders for the Relevancy List? Characters like Bandana and Skull Kid have a long running popularity, like Dixie but generally moreso. The Pokemon and Inklings will have the new hotness angle on their side too, and I'm personally not familiar with Elma so if anyone can, feel free to fill me in.
Springman, but his IP is way too new to make this game's development cycle.

Ditto for Rex and Pyra. Elma is way less popular overall than Rex is due to XC:X being less well-received than XC2. She's now stuck with middle child syndrome between two better-received games. But she does meet the product plan timeline.

A Rhythm Heaven rep would be another. Chorus Kids namely. That's a more recent IP that's been getting more popular.

Captain Toad, but he's all but deconfirmed at this point. Midna because Twilight Princess was remastered, but she's out too I'm pretty sure.

Celica from SoV. But she's not popular enough and is yet another FR character. The protags from Three Houses are barely even known.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I do wonder why Dixie wasn't in Smash 4, even as DLC. Was she not relevant at the time?
Because, and pardon my cynicism here, DLC was exclusively reserved for cut veterans, new third-parties, and a Fire Emblem Fates advertisement, and was all decided on before or very early on in the Smash Ballot. That's why (presumably) big Ballot placers like Ridley and K. Rool didn't get in until Ultimate. So, Echo or unique, Dixie's chances for Ultimate are far greater than they ever were for Smash 4's DLC.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I do wonder why Dixie wasn't in Smash 4, even as DLC. Was she not relevant at the time?
Tropical Freeze development likely started around or after the time the Smash 4 roster was decided, so it was probably left out of consideration. Smash 4 roster was centered around promotion too, with most newcomers having recent titles: Rosalina, Little Mac, Robin, Lucina, Corrin, Greninja, Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Villager, Shulk, etc all had new titles around those dates.

Because, and pardon my cynicism here, DLC was exclusively reserved for cut veterans, new third-parties, and a Fire Emblem Fates advertisement, and was all decided on before or very early on in the Smash Ballot. That's why (presumably) big Ballot placers like Ridley and K. Rool didn't get in until Ultimate. So, Echo or unique, Dixie's chances for Ultimate are far greater than they ever were for Smash 4's DLC.
This too.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
For Smash 4, she was even less relevant than K. Rool; the design document was finalized in 2012 before the announcement of Tropical Freeze. The focus on DLC seemed to instead be veterans and third parties - Corrin was to advertise a new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS, which was more pressing than advertising a game that came out on a dead system over a year ago.

EDIT: Dang, y'all beat me to the punch.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
-Missed the product plan timeline with her Tropical Freeze appearance.
-Overshadowed by K Rool, as most of her supporters wanted him more than her, and used ballot votes on him.
-DLC needed to be characters that people would want enough to buy. Only crazy 3rd parties, cut veterans and Corrin (millions were anticipating the Awakening sequel) were deemed worthy.
-Smash 4 just didn't like Donkey Kong things very much.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just dropping by, but make sure you add me to that support list, I would love to see Dixie get onto the roster, echo or unique

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
She could have been included as dlc, but absurdly the team and Sakurai preferred to advertize ANOTHER flavour of the month FE character...
I am sure this is a decision that will forever plague the Smash dev team.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So guys, if Dixie makes it into Super Mario Party, would it make more sense for Nintendo to reveal her for Smash first?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So guys, if Dixie makes it into Super Mario Party, would it make more sense for Nintendo to reveal her for Smash first?
Mario Party first, it will stack excitement for the more eventful Smash reveal, whereas Dixie showing up in Mario Party after already being shown in Smash won't really be attention-getting.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
oh man i never even thought about dixie in mario party. i'd be so down for that though, i'm really looking forward to both games and its always nice to see dk characters wherever they show up

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I don't think they would have wanted to take away from K Rool's big moment by adding Dixie. I feel that she'll likely be in the next Direct if she is going to be playable. While I would prefer her to be completely original, I have a feeling she'll end up being an echo of Diddy.

Oh, almost forgot, you're welcome to add me to the supporter list.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Springman, but his IP is way too new to make this game's development cycle.

Ditto for Rex and Pyra. Elma is way less popular overall than Rex is due to XC:X being less well-received than XC2. She's now stuck with middle child syndrome between two better-received games. But she does meet the product plan timeline.

A Rhythm Heaven rep would be another. Chorus Kids namely. That's a more recent IP that's been getting more popular.

Captain Toad, but he's all but deconfirmed at this point. Midna because Twilight Princess was remastered, but she's out too I'm pretty sure.

Celica from SoV. But she's not popular enough and is yet another FR character. The protags from Three Houses are barely even known.
OK this is good for reference. IDK much about Elma's game so I played it safe with her, but if Rex, Pyra and Shulk overshadow Elma I'm not gonna put too much thought in her.

Springman so far seems to be Inklings in SSB4 scenario, so I agree with you there, and I mostly forgot about Capt Toad for the same reason as basically deconfirmed. So, I would set the Relevancy List as:

-New Pokemon
-Inklings
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Dixie Kong

And of course, the Fanservice List is:
-K. Rool
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Geno
-Chrom
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Dark Samus
-Daisy

Honestly Skull Kid could be on the fanservice list as Young Link is basically relevant due to Majora's Mask, but he's in for "Everyone is Here". Also I'd put Rayman in the Relevance side, due to Legends coming out in 2013 and Ubisoft's presence with Nintendo.

All in all, this is open for discussion, everybody. Feel free to contribute to the brainstorming of standout relevant characters and fanservice. If we can see a bunch of angles so we don't get hit by surprises that'll be good.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don’t really care about relevancy anymore. After Ashley got deconfirmed, I’m just fighting twice as hard for Sceptile, because I know a lot of people still have hope in that regard, but have become less vocal after smash 4 ended and he wasn’t in. I’m dying to know who the last few fighters left are, and I’d be surprised if one from my top ten isn’t in there. Dixie has an entirely different fight than Sceptile. She is most likely in the game, and that’s where her uphill battle is. Most see her only being an echo, but she can be so much more and has to fight harder for uniqueness than anyone else who has a shot at smash. Sceptile is different because his fight is whether or not gamefreak let Sakurai use the obvious fan favorite card, or just pull some random relevant pick out of a hat. Man, I hope just this once, they let relevancy slip down the drain. For Sceptile that was the biggest and only real detriment playing against his inclusion.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
She could have been included as dlc, but absurdly the team and Sakurai preferred to advertize ANOTHER flavour of the month FE character...
That isn't how that works. Corrin didn't take anybody's spot, if Sakurai wanted to make Dixie playable he would have done so alongside Corrin. The only answer there is to the question is that he just didn't want to make her playable for one reason or another (as lame as that answer is).

Top Bottom