• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You're doing a pretty good job of that already.
Alright newbie, allow me to educate you on this thing called a "debate." It's where two parties talk about a subject and present evidence for their side.

If you'd actually bothered to read my posts, not once did I say anything demeaning towards the people I was debating with.

I'd also suggest learning not to double post. That's against the forum rules.

For the record, if Dixie gets in as an echo, I will NOT be coming here to tell anyone "I told you so."

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's a given that, if she's in, she will share something with Diddy. Someone mentioned how Dixie is a "blessing to developers", in the way they can fully utilize Diddy's model as a base for her. If they go the unique/semi-clone route, Dixie will already be saving implementation time.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
So, something that's popped up in my head from time to time, this time around for Smash Ultimate, the Smash team seems to be looking at older designs for characters, not to mention adding extra details and such, this may have popped up already and I'd missed it but, does anybody want Dixie to have her knee pads back along with her nail polish as her default look? Or would just the knee pads do for the default? Or would you guys rather her have the knee pads as an alt? I've also noticed people bring up Dixie utilizing her hair as a form of air mobility how would you want her to perform this action? Would you rather her spin her entire body around much like in the older DKC games? Or would you guys rather her hair function more like a propeller? Would you guys rather her recovery be more horizontal like DK's Spinning Kong, or more vertical like K. Rool's Jetpack Propeller? Just trying to shift discussion to something other than echoes.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for condescendingly educating me on what a debate is, but yes, I did read all of your posts. You might not have used demeaning words specifically, but saying things like:

You should keep an open mind and be willing to hear opinions other than your own. It would bode well for you in the real world.
Is demeaning, and patronising. Perhaps you don't mean to, but you have certainly comes across that way. If you're meaning to antagonise people here, cool, but if not, maybe change your approach or leave this thread. Also, I've been here since 2008, so not really a newbie.

I'd be glad to get this thread back on topic though, sorry everyone.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
So, something that's popped up in my head from time to time, this time around for Smash Ultimate, the Smash team seems to be looking at older designs for characters, not to mention adding extra details and such, this may have popped up already and I'd missed it but, does anybody want Dixie to have her knee pads back along with her nail polish as her default look? Or would just the knee pads do for the default? Or would you guys rather her have the knee pads as an alt? I've also noticed people bring up Dixie utilizing her hair as a form of air mobility how would you want her to perform this action? Would you rather her spin her entire body around much like in the older DKC games? Or would you guys rather her hair function more like a propeller? Would you guys rather her recovery be more horizontal like DK's Spinning Kong, or more vertical like K. Rool's Jetpack Propeller? Just trying to shift discussion to something other than echoes.
Definitely bring back the knee pads!

As for air mobility: have her second jump be exactly like it is in Tropical Freeze, then a glide similar to Peach's float, except slowly descending and not infinite (think Tiny Kong in DK64). You reference both eras this way, keeping all her character traits regarding a hair-glide.

Her Up-B could be something else, like Squawks, or a Barrel launcher. I'd prefer the former.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Ignoring the distinction between echoes and unique fighters - if we were to start from a baseline of 1:1 with Diddy, how many changes would a Dixie fan need to be satisfied with her inclusion without simply going allout 100% unique fighter? For example, clone of Diddy with a DK up-b?

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I am all for the knee pads but I could really do without the nail polish. It honestly kind of grosses me out. The kneepads would be a great throwback though and make her design feel more different than Diddy and make it stick out more.

As for the echo debate obviously her as a 1:1 Diddy would not work at all and be incredibly disingenuous to the character. I think her as a Diddy echo with DK's Up B, Grab and a unique dash attack would be great. You could have bubblegum repped through neutral B and taunts and with a guitar victory animation or taunt you have the nearly perfect representation of her. In a perfect world she'd be a unique character that was heavier and slower than DIddy but with an awesome air game but i'd definitely be more than happy with the echo idea I mentioned.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Thanks for condescendingly educating me on what a debate is, but yes, I did read all of your posts. You might not have used demeaning words specifically, but saying things like:

Is demeaning, and patronising. Perhaps you don't mean to, but you have certainly comes across that way. If you're meaning to antagonise people here, cool, but if not, maybe change your approach or leave this thread. Also, I've been here since 2008, so not really a newbie.

I'd be glad to get this thread back on topic though, sorry everyone.
Well then you surely must have read the part as to why I posted in the first place. To keep people's expectations in check and not let them set themselves up for disappointment. I'm trying to be a voice of reason here, not give anyone trouble. I'm not trying to come off as rude/condescending, but when people all jump on you at once for your opinion, sometimes you have that "fight or flight" response. I apologized to everyone earlier for this.

But when people say she "has to be unique" to be in, it bugs me. No, she doesn't have to be unique. But we've been over this.

I, personally, do not see Dixie as particularly likely as a unique fighter, or even as a Wolf/Lucas styled semi-clone. If you ask me, characters are getting in this game in two ways - fully unique or fully echo. No middle ground.

As for calling you a newbie, sorry. Didn't see the date.

As for Dixie, yeah, I would like to see her in, but I'd almost rather see her as an echo - there are other characters I feel are more deserving of unique movesets and deserve more care in my eyes.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Alright newbie, allow me to educate you on this thing called a "debate." It's where two parties talk about a subject and present evidence for their side.

If you'd actually bothered to read my posts, not once did I say anything demeaning towards the people I was debating with.

I'd also suggest learning not to double post. That's against the forum rules.

For the record, if Dixie gets in as an echo, I will NOT be coming here to tell anyone "I told you so."
Edit: Weird where did everything I typed go lol.
Anyways I'll take your "debates" a bit more seriously if you would stop all of that name calling. Thanks for the apology. We appreciate it.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ignoring the distinction between echoes and unique fighters - if we were to start from a baseline of 1:1 with Diddy, how many changes would a Dixie fan need to be satisfied with her inclusion without simply going allout 100% unique fighter? For example, clone of Diddy with a DK up-b?
I've already stated this before, but for me:
-Higher air speed than Diddy.
-Hair Twirl as a Up B, Bubblegum Gun as a Neutral B, Hair Ground Slam as a Down B.
-Pirouette Attack as a dash attack, at least 4 or 5 unique or animation-tweaked standard attacks. I liked Diddy's Brawl up air, so that could be one of them.
-Gliding ability after her Up B like Game and Watch.
-A grab with her hair that allows her to cargo throw like DK, albeit less efficiently.
-Unique taunts, idle pose, victory screen for her, although this will happen no matter what.

Of course I'll settle for something not so specific, this is just an ideal list of changes that stays within reason.

Eagle

Smash Lord
As for the echo debate obviously her as a 1:1 Diddy would not work at all and be incredibly disingenuous to the character. I think her as a Diddy echo with DK's Up B, Grab and a unique dash attack would be great. You could have bubblegum repped through neutral B and taunts and with a guitar victory animation or taunt you have the nearly perfect representation of her. In a perfect world she'd be a unique character that was heavier and slower than DIddy but with an awesome air game but i'd definitely be more than happy with the echo idea I mentioned.
I agree. Fortunately, at the very least if she were to be an echo without much effort she would likely get the bubblegum and unique taunts/other animations just like how Dark Samus got all hers. I'm confident that if she does get in, Sakurai will give her something true to her character like he did with Chrom.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say without actually playing her and seeing how she controls, compared to how she is in the DKC games. Definitely a new Up+B with her hair, and she needs some kind of hair-based smash/jab/air/grab attacks. Add in Peach's floating mechanic, and I'd be satisfied I think.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
It's hard to say without actually playing her and seeing how she controls, compared to how she is in the DKC games. Definitely a new Up+B with her hair, and she needs some kind of hair-based smash/jab/air/grab attacks. Add in Peach's floating mechanic, and I'd be satisfied I think.
RayaGRH RayaGRH beat me to it! Also, this is just me but I think it would be cool if Dixie had a cargo throw like DK but with her hair.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Do you mean exactly like Peach's floating mechanic? Or more of a slow descent? That's be really cool and I hope they do it. Although with a DK up+b except with focusing on vertical recovery instead it sounds like she'd have a pretty insane recovery.

Actually I guess Peach would/has a similar recovery and she has total horizontal floating without being OP so I think a slow descent wouldn't necessarily be too much.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Edit: Weird where did everything I typed go lol.
Anyways I'll take your "debates" a bit more seriously if you would stop all of that name calling. Thanks for the apology. We appreciate it.
That's a bug with Smashboards, happens to me all the time.

The way I see it, Dixie's best shot is as an echo. There are lots of other characters with significantly unique movesets and large fanbases (Isaac, Geno, Banjo, etc.). On the other end of the spectrum, because Dixie would be so easy to make as an echo, I think she's far more likely to show up than any of those others. It's a bit of a trade off, higher chance if she's less unique.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Well then you surely must have read the part as to why I posted in the first place. To keep people's expectations in check and not let them set themselves up for disappointment. I'm trying to be a voice of reason here, not give anyone trouble. I'm not trying to come off as rude/condescending, but when people all jump on you at once for your opinion, sometimes you have that "fight or flight" response. I apologized to everyone earlier for this.
Well, that's the thing: we don't need our expectations checked. Dixie fans have been disappointed before, we don't need to be brought down to earth, and we don't need a voice of reason. The point of support threads is to hope for the best, and so that's what most of us are doing. Most of us feel that she does have to be unique, or else she would not feel like the Dixie we know and love. If it bugs you that much, simply stay out of her support thread. There are many characters I don't think need to be unique fighters in Smash, but I'm not going to go and bother their supporters, I'll just leave them be. You were telling us things we already know, we just disagree, and we've all been over it many times before. Nonetheless, I appreciate the apology, and let's move on because arguing gets us nowhere.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
PUt me down as a supporter for Dixie

"LOL I'm gonna go to this topic, assume everyone in it has their heads up their ***es, and prostrate my self-righteousness by claiming they might send death threats to some guy. Hey why are you guys so hostile towards me?"

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ummm.... okay?

God that cartoon Dixie is so unsettling...what actual human being signed off on this animation?

What you're saying is totally understandable. I myself have done much of the same. The problem I think everyone is having is the method you've brought it up.

You weren't a regular on this thread or a part of any of the discussion. You turned up, warned everyone not to get their hopes up, inadvertently being kind of a pessimist and a Debbie downer, then provided no input about her character, or what you'd like to see, or even that you directly support her inclusion (you claimed the opposite briefly out of spite for Sceptile in fact). Drop in, knock everyone down a peg, and then go about your business.

That'd be like me coming to the Sora thread (which I'm assuming you support based off of your name), which I've never been to before, and saying "don't get your hopes up guys only for potential crushing defeat later, we already have Cloud, Sora is not quite deserving of the time to be made a unique fighter so he's a no go, keep your expectations low", etc etc, then arguing with his supporters when they found it kind of rude.

Your point of view is valid. It's the way you brought it about. You didn't come to talk about Dixie, you came to "lower everyone's expectations."

That all said, Echo is such an intangible term by now, that I'm going to assume anyone who's even remotely built off of another fighter will get the Echo label in this game.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If you ask me, characters are getting in this game in two ways - fully unique or fully echo. No middle ground.
What does that make Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there is a third category. It’s called a semi-clone.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Your point of view is valid. It's the way you brought it about. You didn't come to talk about Dixie, you came to "lower everyone's expectations."
This happens a lot in these threads. When the K. Rool costume happened, we had all kinds of non-regulars come in to tell us to keep our expectations in check. If a character gets not quite deconfirmed, it will bring in people who tsk tsk and say "I told you so." I at least try to be encouraging when the character is outright deconfirmed, like Ashley.

I personally believe it's echo or bust for Dixie in this game, unless she is DLC. But there's no point in arguing about it, we'll know in four months or less.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
God that cartoon Dixie is so unsettling...what actual human being signed off on this animation?

What you're saying is totally understandable. I myself have done much of the same. The problem I think everyone is having is the method you've brought it up.

You weren't a regular on this thread or a part of any of the discussion. You turned up, warned everyone not to get their hopes up, inadvertently being kind of a pessimist and a Debbie downer, then provided no input about her character, or what you'd like to see, or even that you directly support her inclusion (you claimed the opposite briefly out of spite for Sceptile in fact). Drop in, knock everyone down a peg, and then go about your business.

That'd be like me coming to the Sora thread (which I'm assuming you support based off of your name), which I've never been to before, and saying "don't get your hopes up guys only for potential crushing defeat later, we already have Cloud, Sora is not quite deserving of the time to be made a unique fighter so he's a no go, keep your expectations low", etc etc, then arguing with his supporters when they found it kind of rude.

That all said, Echo is such an intangible term by now, that I'm going to assume anyone who's even remotely built off of another fighter will get the Echo label in this game.
Oh believe me, being a Sora fan is nothing but disappointment. Maybe it's because of that that I'm so pessimistic about fighters in Smash. I was let down with Takamaru, then Ashley, and likely Sora too.

I actually do like Dixie; and I think she deserves a spot in Smash. Frankly, the reason I don't come in here more is because I'm pretty sure she's got it in the bag in the first place; as an echo specifically, but in the game nonetheless. I do think it's foolish to get upset if your character ends up as an echo and not fully unique (as I've seen plenty of Daisy fans do - which bugs me, as it brings down my name by proxy as a Daisy fan).

At this point; I've gotten so tired of seeing people being toxic over it that I suppose I assume everyone is like that by nature, and for that I apologize. As an unironic Waluigi supporter and someone who liked Ashley a lot, seeing those fanbases give Mr. Sakurai such a hard time really pissed me off; he gives so much to make us happy and it's never enough for some people. I'd rather the Smash community be a safe place to hang, but I made this place worse for wear - sorry, everyone. Hope you can forgive me.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Someone (forgot who it was) brought up earlier that it would actually be easier to make her unique than most others BECAUSE her model size is pretty close to Diddy’s.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
What does that make Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there is a third category. It’s called a semi-clone.
Thing is, those were veterans with existing movesets; Sakurai doesn't like to change up existing fighters too drastically so as not to alienate their fans. Guess I should've specified for new characters.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind seeing the kneepads back, but otherwise I prefer her modern design. Maybe her recovery could be like Link's except with some more movement allowed.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I've said this a couple of times but I need these things at least
- Her tropical freeze/DKC trilogy dash attack
- A peach-esque glide
- Hair grab and throws
- A hair based up special
- A unique final smash/one that isn't diddy's rocket and peanut one

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Hey, it's fine Keyblade, you're forgiven. Perhaps it just hit a nerve, because as someone who saw Dixie lose out on Brawl, on Smash 4, and on DLC, I know first had that Dixie fans are some of the most gracious in defeat. Possibly to our own detriment.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
This happens a lot in these threads. When the K. Rool costume happened, we had all kinds of non-regulars come in to tell us to keep our expectations in check. If a character gets not quite deconfirmed, it will bring in people who tsk tsk and say "I told you so." I at least try to be encouraging when the character is outright deconfirmed, like Ashley.

I personally believe it's echo or bust for Dixie in this game, unless she is DLC. But there's no point in arguing about it, we'll know in four months or less.
That's a fair perspective. A pure Echo like Dark Pit is something we are desperately hoping against because it's a disservice on the level of Snake getting in as a Captain Falcon clone, on the context of them having "similar builds". No explosives or weapons.

Dixie not using her hair because she's busy punching enemies like Diddy is a disservice to her entire character. With Dark Samus, she behaves like herself, uses Phazon in her energy attacks, and is a genetic clone of Samus in the first place, so her being a move for move Echo is disappointing, but doesn't sacrifice her character. With Chrom, he emulates Roy, but at the very least they slipped in a couple Canon moves, and both fighters are sword fighters.

Dixie and Diddy don't share a weapon of choice, basically. But we've seen Ganondorfs history in Smash also, so we know that sometimes, Sakurai makes weird and unfortunate decisions (even if Ganondorf is still fun to play.)

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I do legitimately feel bad about this though, so I feel obligated to apologize.

I let some of my own inner darkness out, and I shouldn't have.
Keymaster don’t worry, even though I disagree with you on the echo debate, I still think you’re a great debater. We all have bad days, don’t worry! I hope your most wanteds make it into smash!

Also, I really hope you lot are excited for a Dixie Kong amiibo!!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Keymaster don’t worry, even though I disagree with you on the echo debate, I still think you’re a great debater. We all have bad days, don’t worry! I hope your most wanteds make it into smash!

You name is Dixie Kong but your picture is Kaptain K Rool.

Does not compute.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
One of Rool’s Kremling hacked my account. Help.
The K Rool PR team is out for blood this time around. Do you think the Kremlings at Korporate are aware that he's already in?

I suppose they have yet to defeat Dixie in a fair fight, stealing her identity for K Rool sponsorship is the best victory they'll get.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
The K Rool PR team is out for blood this time around. Do you think the Kremlings at Korporate are aware that he's already in?

I suppose they have yet to defeat Dixie in a fair fight, stealing her identity for K Rool sponsorship is the best victory they'll get.
They took my voodo dolls of Ultinaron and Diddy also. :(

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
They took my voodo dolls of Ultinaron and Diddy also. :(
I was wondering why my back was sore all day yesterday. Damn Kremlings, causing me minor discomfort.

And which doll of Diddy did they steal? One of Diddy, or one of the Smashboards user Diddy Kong Diddy Kong that spearheaded all the Impa support for Smash 4?

Because that second Diddy has already had too many....Needles...in his day.

:ultsheik:

Hehe.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Heh, speaking of dolls/toys, do any of you have any DK action figures? I have two of Donkey Kong, and two of Diddy. I want to buy the old Takara figures, but sadly they are expensive.

Oh, and voodoo dolls of both!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Please no, my wallet can only take so much... I have every currently release Smash amiibo, and now I already have to get like a dozen more...

Mr. Sakurai have mercy my dude

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
One of Rool’s Kremling hacked my account. Help.
Hi Mr. Kremling that hacked Dixie's account. If you are reading this can you go back to your headquarters and invite the other Kutthroats to come over to the barrel for a quick second and pledge support for the glorious #DK DOUBLE! I want to see those supporter numbers for Dixie skyrocket!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Hi Mr. Kremling that hacked Dixie's account. If you are reading this can you go back to your headquarters and invite the other Kutthroats to come over to the barrel for a quick second and pledge support for the glorious #DK DOUBLE! I want to see those supporter numbers for Dixie skyrocket!
Mr. Kremling here, sure, for money.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Please no, my wallet can only take so much... I have every currently release Smash amiibo, and now I already have to get like a dozen more...

Mr. Sakurai have mercy my dude
Every amiibo? Good Lord. I bought Game and Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt in a combined set and called it a day. And even then it was only so I could raise three troll retro figure players that did nothing but spam their most annoying moves against the enemy AI, for my own amusement.

I'm too poor for more amiibo. I don't even have a Switch yet. My wife and I have bills to worry about first, sadly.

Top Bottom