• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Gliding has been removed from Smash and likely isn't coming back due to how OP it was.

Yes, she has potential to be unique, but so did plenty of others who ended up as Echo Fighters - Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, hell, even Richter. Just because she has that potential doesn't mean it will be realized when she could just as easily be made an echo. I would personally rather her be in as an echo than not at all, and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment when you assume she HAS to be unique. I'd rather not see a bunch of whiny Dixie fans do the same things that some of the Waluigi and Ashley fans did.
It could very well act the same as peach's hover instead of the brawl type of glide.

Literally no one is saying that she can't be a clone, but we obviously want her to be unique and we're arguing that she very well can be.

Honestly these are literally the same arguments dixie fans have been arguing against for years with nothing new and I don't really get the point of going in to a characters thread just to argue with their supporters.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At this point I'm just hoping Dixie makes it, even as an echo.

None of the rumors, the have "credibility", have hinted at Dixie. The latest one, the ResetERA one, doesn't have Dixie as either an echo or unique fighter. Saying the echo fighters left are Galacta Knight and Soren - Who no one has been asking for.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think we all agree that the best outcome would be a unique fighter. But there’s definitely also a legit possibility of Dixie becoming an Echo, especially after seeing how Chrom is handled. I’m on the boat on at least acknowledging that so I’ll either be okay with an Echo or beyond happy if she’s ends up unique. It all comes down to what Sakurai wants to do with her, and I feel that something is better than nothing at all.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think we all agree that the best outcome would be a unique fighter. But there’s definitely also a legit possibility of Dixie becoming an Echo, especially after seeing how Chrom is handled. I’m on the boat on at least acknowledging that so I’ll either be okay with an Echo or beyond happy if she’s ends up unique. It all comes down to what Sakurai wants to do with her, and I feel that something is better than nothing at all.
yeah, no dixie fan is out here lying to themselves that being an echo is impossible or can't happen for whatever reason because it obviously could, but we want her to be unique obviously, but absolutely NO ONE is denying the possibility of an echo and I'm tired of the idea of her being unique being shot down and being seen as impossible

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman

None of the rumors, the have "credibility", have hinted at Dixie. The latest one, the ResetERA one, doesn't have Dixie as either an echo or unique fighter. Saying the echo fighters left are Galacta Knight and Soren - Who no one has been asking for.
Yeah I don't buy that. Soren would be pretty cool if it happened but I don't see it happening, honestly. Seems really random.

Dixie as a Diddy echo with DK's ^B is my best guess.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It could very well act the same as peach's hover instead of the brawl type of glide.

Literally no one is saying that she can't be a clone, but we obviously want her to be unique and we're arguing that she very well can be.

Honestly these are literally the same arguments dixie fans have been arguing against for years with nothing new and I don't really get the point of going in to a characters thread just to argue with their supporters.
So you admit you missed the point. At no point did I say "she can't be unique."

I didn't come here to argue, in fact, the only reason I posted in the first place was to point out that if you assume she'll be unique (which is foolish, it's a 50/50) you're gonna be grossly disappointed if she ends up as an echo, and so to temper your expectations and brace for the worst in case it does come to fruition.

The real difference here is, that, as a long time Daisy supporter, I knew my character would be a Peach clone long ago and accepted that fact. Obviously I would have preferred her unique, but I'm happy she's in regardless because I didn't let my expectations get in the way of seeing the very possible reality. I'm trying to take my experience and share it with others so they don't wind up screaming death threats at Sakurai over it.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Yes, she has potential to be unique, but so did plenty of others who ended up as Echo Fighters - Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, hell, even Richter. Just because she has that potential doesn't mean it will be realized when she could just as easily be made an echo. I would personally rather her be in as an echo than not at all, and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment when you assume she HAS to be unique. I'd rather not see a bunch of whiny Dixie fans do the same things that some of the Waluigi and Ashley fans did.
The thing is, Richter isn't solely an echo. Sakurai said it himself, Simon is based on Richter and vice-versa. And the other ones you constantly bring up aren't as popular as Dixie. The only one I could see an argument for is Dark Samus. But saying Chrom and Daisy could've been unique? Sorry, you sound EXACTLY like a butthurt fan, considering NO ONE ever expected to see Chrom being unique, and Daisy was more of a pipe dream than anything, the best she could've ever gotten was an echo and the fans accepted it knowing that for a fact. Heck, I wanted Daisy to be unique and was ok with the echo because it worked.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The thing is, Richter isn't solely an echo. Sakurai said it himself, Simon is based on Richter and vice-versa. And the other ones you constantly bring up aren't as popular as Dixie. The only one I could see an argument for is Dark Samus. But saying Chrom and Daisy could've been unique? Sorry, you sound EXACTLY like a butthurt fan, considering NO ONE ever expected to see Chrom being unique, and Daisy was more of a pipe dream than anything, the best she could've ever gotten was an echo and the fans accepted it knowing that for a fact.
I'm not going in circles with you over this again, but I will say this - if you don't think Daisy was popular, then you're an idiot.

Go back and read through my posts again.

In fact, thanks to you specifically, now I don't even want Dixie in the game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So you admit you missed the point. At no point did I say "she can't be unique."

I didn't come here to argue, in fact, the only reason I posted in the first place was to point out that if you assume she'll be unique (which is foolish, it's a 50/50) you're gonna be grossly disappointed if she ends up as an echo, and so to temper your expectations and brace for the worst in case it does come to fruition.

The real difference here is, that, as a long time Daisy supporter, I knew my character would be a Peach clone long ago and accepted that fact. Obviously I would have preferred her unique, but I'm happy she's in regardless because I didn't let my expectations get in the way of seeing the very possible reality. I'm trying to take my experience and share it with others so they don't wind up screaming death threats at Sakurai over it.
Yeah, we're not stupid, we know the possibility is there...we were literally talking a couple pages back about what we would want to make an echo feel justified.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, we're not stupid, we know the possibility is there...we were literally talking a couple pages back about what we would want to make an echo feel justified.
I never said you were stupid. I'm just trying to say to not let your expectations blind you from the reality of the matter. If you took this as antagonistic in any way, I apologize. It was not meant in that way.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm not going in circles with you over this again.

Go back and read through my posts again.

I know that she can be an echo, but you don't need to constantly bring it up. She could be either, but since so many people are saying she could only be an echo, that would be the only reason she ends up being one, because Sakurai might think that's how Dixie fans want it. I'm just saying, those few moves could be all she needs to be considered unique anyway. Besides, have you seen Dr. Mario? He is a carbon copy of mario who is considered his own fighter because ONE move is handled differently, but mainly because he is MECHANICALLY different. Mechanics matter a lot when it comes to being different, examples being Pichu and Roy. Pichu because he has a self-damage mechanic exclusive to him, and generally feels floatier than pikachu, and Roy because he is derived from Marth but isn't considered an echo because his attacks focus more on explosive/fire damage.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Would we want Lord Frederick as a boss on a Tropical Freeze stage?
That's honestly a really cool idea, I've never even thought about DK bosses before but he'd work well, although it seems like they're doing away with actual stage bosses though. They could put him in that new mode with the other bosses though, maybe even just recreate his boss fight platform for the first as well

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I know that she can be an echo, but you don't need to constantly bring it up. She could be either, but since so many people are saying she could only be an echo, that would be the only reason she ends up being one, because Sakurai might think that's how Dixie fans want it. I'm just saying, those few moves could be all she needs to be considered unique anyway. Besides, have you seen Dr. Mario? He is a carbon copy of mario who is considered his own fighter because ONE move is handled differently, but mainly because he is MECHANICALLY different. Mechanics matter a lot when it comes to being different, examples being Pichu and Roy.
Also I’m thinking if we got an echo from DKC, it would be funky because he actually could work as one (just change a move or two to the board), whereas Dixie has to be unique so people have reasons to play her as opposed to diddy. Either she’s unique in the base roster, or she’s unique DLC. I want Dixie to really be Dixie, not just “Diddy but a girl”.
This is what made me post in the first place. It bothered me that you kept saying "has to be unique." Now, she doesn't HAVE to be unique. This was the problem. There's no "unique or bust" thing here. The way you were parading this opinion around as if it was fact was the big deal. Now that you've admitted she can be an echo, that should be end of discussion.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I'd rather not see a bunch of whiny Dixie fans do the same things that some of the Waluigi and Ashley fans did.
Errr... We didn't exactly drown in our tears when she wasn't confirmed for WiiU or when we knew K. Rool stomped all over her in terms of popularity in the ballot. Overall we stayed very positive and I'm sure we will again regardless of her fate this time as well. I think the Dixie support community has been overall pretty civil in terms of excepting what happens. Even if Dixie doesn't get in or get's in as an echo or is unique the DK community as a whole has already had a massive victory with K. Rool getting in. I don't think anybody here will straight up be crybabies over it.

I really do appreciate your genuine concern for not wanting to see others set themselves up for disappointment but to automatically assume that we will all be "Whiny" and immature about it is a low blow.

Cool one person doesn't want her in the game now. Nothing of value was lost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Errr... We didn't exactly drown in our tears when she wasn't confirmed for WiiU or when we knew K. Rool stomped all over her in terms of popularity in the ballot. Overall we stayed very positive and I'm sure we will again regardless of her fate this time as well. I think the Dixie support community has been overall pretty civil in terms of excepting what happens. Even if Dixie doesn't get in or get's in as an echo or is unique the DK community as a whole has already had a massive victory with K. Rool getting in. I don't think anybody here will straight up be crybabies over it.

I really do appreciate your genuine concern for not wanting to see others set themselves up for disappointment but to automatically assume that we will all be "Whiny" and immature about it is a low blow.

Cool one person doesn't want her in the game now. Nothing of value was lost.
At no point did I "assume" you were all whiny. It only takes one fan to start a problem. Isn't that right, Daisy, Waluigi, and Ashley?

And for the record, most of you are pretty civil, though I do recall some fights between the K. Rool and Dixie fanbases in the past. I don't like history repeating itself.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I could see Dixie in being somewhat similiar like Dr. Mario as a clone character. Not an echo fighter, a Diddy Kong clone with her own original special attacks, just like Dr. Mario has his own down special.

StormC

Smash Hero
I want Lord Fredrik as the boss for the theoretical story mode. Imagine beating him up with K. Rool.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
At no point did I "assume" you were all whiny. It only takes one fan to start a problem. Isn't that right, Daisy, Waluigi, and Ashley?

And for the record, most of you are pretty civil, though I do recall some fights between the K. Rool and Dixie fanbases in the past. I don't like history repeating itself.
Yeah, nobody wants to see history repeat itself but the history you speak of cannot be repeated. Back when it was "K. Rool vs Dixie" in the WiiU days it was because people were fighting over imaginary slots. Many K. Rool fans are also Dixie fan or fans of the Donkey Kong Franchise in general. Now that K.Rool is in many Kutthroats are coming over to show support and rally with us. I mean if Dixie doesn't get in or doesn't meet our expectations what are we gonna do? Storm over to the K. Rool boards and be like "Hey... Yeah... about those congratulations from earlier, I want to take it back now because I'm salty Dixie didn't make it. P.s. I think your character is dumb!" I'm 100% positive nobody will do that. I don't think you need to worry about that particular part of history repeating itself. DK fandom is very united now.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Been reading the latest Dixie Uniqueness discussion so I'm reiterating my thoughts:

We have acknowledged due to recent events that yes, Dixie can show up as a clone, a hybrid, an Echo or unique. Some of us--myself included--want her to be unique while some think she's only gonna be an Echo, and others are fine with either or. It's not the possibility of an Echo that's bothering us, it's the assumption that Echo is all she has going for her and that's all we'll get. Counting her out as Echo material when we have reasonable precedence to prove this wrong is the problem.

We're not gonna threaten Sakurai if we don't get Unique but we are gonna argue in favor of a Unique Dixie Kong until we get confirmation on her status. Some don't feel the same way and they're free to voice their opinion and reasoning, but we are not delusional. We are not crazed fans who will react violently to an incarnation we don't prefer. We are aware of the stakes, and believing that we're a diehard sect of the fandom that can't see reason is unnecessary. We're going to make the case for an original moveset, and if these discussions are gonna go in frustrating circles, simply agree to disagree for the moment, step back, cool off and then come back again.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Been reading the latest Dixie Uniqueness discussion so I'm reiterating my thoughts:

We have acknowledged due to recent events that yes, Dixie can show up as a clone, a hybrid, an Echo or unique. Some of us--myself included--want her to be unique while some think she's only gonna be an Echo, and others are fine with either or. It's not the possibility of an Echo that's bothering us, it's the assumption that Echo is all she has going for her and that's all we'll get. Counting her out as Echo material when we have reasonable precedence to prove this wrong is the problem.

We're not gonna threaten Sakurai if we don't get Unique but we are gonna argue in favor of a Unique Dixie Kong until we get confirmation on her status. Some don't feel the same way and they're free to voice their opinion and reasoning, but we are not delusional. We are not crazed fans who will react violently to an incarnation we don't prefer. We are aware of the stakes, and believing that we're a diehard sect of the fandom that can't see reason is unnecessary. We're going to make the case for an original moveset, and if these discussions are gonna go in frustrating circles, simply agree to disagree for the moment, step back, cool off and then come back again.
Yeah, I seriously doubt anyone here would ever threaten Sakurai, because after the crazy storm that revolved around smash 4 DLC (a.k.a. the last two dlc reveals), the removal of target smash, and the abomination that was Smash Tour, I'm pretty sure people on here are used to disappointment. Besides, this game is already 10 times better than that due to the return of Tourney and Good Classic, the new modes, all of the fan favorite stages that haven't been in smash for years, and let's not forget the HUGE reveals, K. Rool, Belmont, and Ridley + the "Everyone is here!" slogan.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman

The latest one, the ResetERA one, doesn't have Dixie as either an echo or unique fighter. Saying the echo fighters left are Galacta Knight and Soren - Who no one has been asking for.
There's an update about the NeoGaf/Resetera/Whatever leak and the guy started to fool around with 'hints' and 'riddles' bull****. We can throw that leak to the trashcan if you ask me.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Only going to respond to points that are even worth going into.
2. Because she is easier to implement is the exact reason. The same reason the Octolings would be in despite having "unique" equipment. The same reason Ken would be in. Because he's functionally identical.

5. You're allowing your bias to seep through here, friend. "Best game in the series" is a subjective thought. PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate already explained how they've treated her as of late. As for Chrom? I don't even like Fire Emblem, so the fact I'm using him at all should show you that I'm not just some butthurt fan. And since I'll have to spell it out anyway, you've all completely missed the point of my post.

Of course "best game in the series" is subjective and it is my opinion.

I'm fully aware she can be an Echo, yet I'm choosing to stay positive. I'm not setting myself up for anything either, believe it or not. If she's in as an Echo, then so be it.

There's arguments for both cases, you choose yours and I choose mine. I've NEVER said she HAS to be unique or assumed it, and that has never been the idea. I'm only advocating for her to be unique, and it is all my opinion.

If people are saying everywhere how she should be an Echo, why can I not defend the idea of her being unique? Especially when the only argument for Dixie to be an Echo is "she can be an Echo"? No one has ever given a valid reason other than that.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If Dixie gets in I think I'm content with DK content in Smash Bros. Sakurai would've fully "rightened the wrongs" he has done with the DK franchise in the past. We got a new DK item the banana gun (even if it has no canonical place in the DK universe), our first assist trophy with Klaptrap, K.Rool being added FINALLY, and the few DKC tracks we have heard so far are fantastic remixes (Though I'm pretty sure we have about 9 more Jungle Hijinx remixes coming our way).

I personally wouldn't mind Dixie as an echo of Diddy but with DK's up B and down B though I'd much prefer her to be a bit more unique kinda like how Luigi is to Mario. That being said I want her Final Smash to incorporate the animal buddies. If we can't get any of them as assist trophies I'd look to see them in her Final Smash. Like have her final smash be "Animal Stampede" she jumps on the back of Ellie the Elephant and then you see Rambi, Expresso, Squitter, Rattley, Winky, Squawks, just follow behind. I'm imagining it's a cutscene and I'm picturing it looking like the cancelled DK Racing game on GCN. Here:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
If you'd actually bother to read threads other than this one you might actually learn a thing or two. Back in Smash 4's speculation days, when Chrom was the hot ****, plenty of people had plenty of unique ideas of how he could play drawing from his source. And irrelevant or not, Dark Samus has a hell of a lot more moveset potential than Smash gives her/it credit for, what with the whole Phazon thing.

1. There's a very good chance the literal exact same thing could be said about Dixie. Instead of showing the one that was "relevant" they opted to show the one that was actually unique, who could not have been echoed off of another fighter - K. Rool. Also, this is not Fire Emblem of DK - this is Smash. They're in the same game, they follow the same rules. By that logic as well, which series is it that has seven characters...? Oh right, Fire Emblem, Lucina's franchise. Coincidentally, I'd argue more people know who Lucina is nowadays because for some weird-*** reason, girl Marth is incredibly popular (waifu factor.) There's a reason she is the only Fire Emblem character who gets most of the official merch.

2. No, but it certainly makes the workload much smaller in a game already so packed full of content that newcomer slots are incredibly limited. See: Dark Samus.

3. Because until we see it, there's a chance it has been removed. With other characters getting tweaks to their moveset and animations, we cannot assume anything is the same as before.

4. Accepting of anything? That's a load of bs. You're not bothering to accept an argument that's contradictory your own and are blindly defending points that are moot and grasping at straws. Yes, fan demand brought in two unique newcomers that have been highly requested for over a decade. If you think Dixie fits that bill, you're sadly mistaken. Dixie rarely shows up in popularity polls.

5. Does she though? What exactly about her makes you say that? She plays nearly identically to Diddy in her home series. The literal only non-cosmetic difference is her hair, which she uses to do what, one thing with?

You should keep an open mind and be willing to hear opinions other than your own. It would bode well for you in the real world.
I don't know if Dixie will be an echo, unique or in the game at all, but I don't think you can compare her to all the fe echoes.
I didn't play Fire emblem awakening (Chrom's and Lucina's game) but I've played other games in the fe series like fates recently and I have to say that the fe representation is really bad. There are so many different characters with such variety in how they play and Sakurai is only putting the boring characters gameplaywise into smash, the characters who fight with a sword (except Robin and to an extent Corrin but he also fights mainly with a sword). The "good" thing is that he can make many characters from the fe series based on marth and put them in because they share the weapon class or category.
How is that working with Dixie and Diddy? Unlike marth and lucina for instance Diddy and Dixie don't share something like a sword.
Dixie does everything with her hair, Diddy doesn't have hair. You could say that diddy's tail attacks could be made into Dixie moves utilizing her ponytail but that will not work, Diddy does not fly with his tail and in the dkc games doesn't even use his tail!
I know it's a disservice to lucina's character that she's just a clone, but at least she does fight with a sword in her game.
The same can't be said for Dixie. If she uses a jetpack or doesn't use her ponytail somehow she wouldn't be dixie anymore.
There must be a reason why Sakurai has never put dixie as assist trophy or mere clone of diddy into smash yet. I'm really not sure if she will make it in this time but I hope so and even if she is a semi clone I'll be happy.
But it won't work the way he made lucina a clone of marth.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The last characters revealed for smash 4 were Shulk and Robin though, I don't think they care that much, especially considering they got the biggest heavy hitters out of the way first, who can possibly top ridley, simon or k rool?
If we're splitting hairs, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were announced last, officially. But that was post-launch basically. And yeah it doesn't change your point whatsoever: the "impact" of characters is not and will not be sorted in any capacity before release, as that implies that some fighters are more important than others to Sakurai, something that he doesn't want anyone to think. The order may as well be random. We only got Ridley and Rool at the end of directs because he knew they would make a lasting impression due to fan demand and would effectively end the direct on a high note that would get people talking. Otherwise, he could reveal anyone at any time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Lucina doesn't even fight like she does in her home game
Why do I keep seeing this? Let's get something straight: most of the FE characters had a large portion of their movesets made up out of thin air. It's just how the series works. The only part of Marth's moveset that might have come directly from his games is his neutral B (and yes, the tipper mechanic is entirely for Smash). Ike, his up b, and arguably his jab combo finisher (his neutral b references his "Hero of Blue Flames" title but is not an attack he ever actually uses). Robin has the most taken from the games, with all the specials coming from somewhere and a couple of the Levin Sword attacks. A few of Corrin's moves are taken directly (dash attack, side b, neutral b), but oddly enough there are multiple animations from Fates that Corrin doesn't use in Smash for whatever reason.

This to say that if Lucina were unique, her moveset would largely be made up. There isn't enough material in Awakening to make a full moveset from unless you dove into alternate classes. As far as "how she fights," she more or less does indeed fight in Smash like she does in FE; she's an infantry sword unit with good all around stats.

3. No, we don't know if Diddy lost his multihit tail jab attack. Why is this argument still being thrown around?
It seems like someone made the mistake, spread it around, and instead of checking people just took it as truth. For a while I actually thought it was true until someone pointed it out because I hadn't gone to check myself.

I personally think in terms of unique fighters for base game, what's left is a combination of the following:

-Incineroar
-Isaac
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Bandana Dee

So maybe not all super heavy hitters like the four we've had so far, but pretty notable regardless.
I really think people are overestimating Isaac's chances. I actually won't be surprised if none of these characters get in, though some are more likely than others.

3. Because until we see it, there's a chance it has been removed. With other characters getting tweaks to their moveset and animations, we cannot assume anything is the same as before.
You're grasping at straws. You're literally just saying, "It could be gone because we haven't seen it yet" and using that as the basis of your argument. You made a mistake. Just admit it.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I personally think in terms of unique fighters for base game, what's left is a combination of the following:

-Incineroar
-Isaac
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Bandana Dee

So maybe not all super heavy hitters like the four we've had so far, but pretty notable regardless.
I really think people are overestimating Isaac's chances. I actually won't be surprised if none of these characters get in, though some are more likely than others.
Other characters who I think have a good chance or can't be counted out just yet:
-Kat & Ana
-Tails
-Lycanroc
-Decidueye
-Sceptile (All of these pokemon are competing for one spot, btw.)
-Tapu Koko
-Blaziken
-Dillon
-Ninten
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Magalor
-Shantae

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Ridley/Dark Samus, K.Rool/Dixie.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what went through Sakurai's mind when he decided to make Ridley and K. Rool. He decided to give fans another character in each, so it wound up being Dark Samus and Dixie because they had characters to base their moves around.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Why do I keep seeing this? Let's get something straight: most of the FE characters had a large portion of their movesets made up out of thin air. It's just how the series works. The only part of Marth's moveset that might have come directly from his games is his neutral B (and yes, the tipper mechanic is entirely for Smash). Ike, his up b, and arguably his jab combo finisher (his neutral b references his "Hero of Blue Flames" title but is not an attack he ever actually uses). Robin has the most taken from the games, with all the specials coming from somewhere and a couple of the Levin Sword attacks. A few of Corrin's moves are taken directly (dash attack, side b, neutral b), but oddly enough there are multiple animations from Fates that Corrin doesn't use in Smash for whatever reason.

This to say that if Lucina were unique, her moveset would largely be made up. There isn't enough material in Awakening to make a full moveset from unless you dove into alternate classes. As far as "how she fights," she more or less does indeed fight in Smash like she does in FE; she's an infantry sword unit with good all around stats.

It seems like someone made the mistake, spread it around, and instead of checking people just took it as truth. For a while I actually thought it was true until someone pointed it out because I hadn't gone to check myself.

You're grasping at straws. You're literally just saying, "It could be gone because we haven't seen it yet" and using that as the basis of your argument. You made a mistake. Just admit it.
It even goes beyond that. Diddy's tail attack has basically been confirmed by the fact that Sakurai openly states in the direct that rapid jabs have a different input than gentleman jabs. It was during the "new moves" section.

He considers rapid jabs separate moves entirely from gentlemen, with a unique button-hold input to match. This means all rapids and gentleman jabs have been separated into different attacks. Diddy had one of the only ones that linked into each other in Smash 4. It's safe to say he had them separated like everyone else. It's not literal confirmation, but it might as well be. I would assume his rapid jab is alive and well, just it's now performed when holding A. The player in his teaser was clearly tapping, not holding.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
So you're saying if she gets in as an echo I get to be an insufferable ***-hole
You're doing a pretty good job of that already.

Anyway, just some points to make about the last few pages:

1 - Everybody knows there is a distinct possibility that Dixie could be an echo, nobody denies that. The point is that none of us (or few of us) believe she should be, because her unique playstyle to Diddy has defined her as a character. You can’t compare that to somebody like Daisy, who had no moves of her own, and a unique moveset would have had to be pulled out of thin air. Coming in here and scolding us for not accepting her as a Diddy echo with open arms achieves nothing. It’s just condescending to keep reinstating those points, especially under the guise of ‘protecting’ Dixie fans from disappointment. We know she could be an echo, we don’t think she should be, and we hope that Sakurai knows that too. If you can’t accept that, maybe don’t come into her support thread.

2 - If anyone thinks that Dixie fans are going to lash out or send death threats, you clearly have not been reading this thread very much, or you’re not familiar with what Dixie fans have been like for like… 10 or so years now. I have seen the Dixie Kong fanbase be incredibly gracious and mature after many defeats. Perhaps if we did kick up more of a fuss, and made our voices louder, she’d have had a better shot? Who knows.

3 - It’s true that Dixie isn’t as popular as many other characters… on the Internet. She is not the type of character to whip up a huge bellowing fanbase, her demographic is different that the one usually found on these kind of boards. Simply put, she’s a young girl that appealed to young girls and boys of that age, so she’s not a Waluigi or a Ridley that would have a gigantic rowdy support group demanding her inclusion. So Geno and Isaac may appease Internet fans more, but I guarantee you, the average casual Nintendo player will remember Dixie Kong much more than almost any other character not yet in Smash. That’s what Dixie fans hold on to, that her legacy will be given the respect we feel it deserves.

Ultimately this thread should be about supporting Dixie, we don't need to continuously argue over her potential status as an echo. Even those who would like her as an echo agree that she should have at least a few attacks on her own anyway, since her hair has always been vital to her playstyle. Nobody is going to change their stance that she shouldn't be an echo, whether she is or not is another question. But don't come in her if you're just going to be antagonistic.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
I think she should 100% be an original character. However, since I've seen Chrom as a Roy echo who borrows a variation of Ike's recovery, it makes me feel like Dixie could very well just get the same treatment with Diddy / DK. Obviously, I'd prefer her to be a fully fleshed out and original character since she has the absolute potential to do so.

Time will tell I guess. We got K. Rool though, which is a good step.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
At this point in time; I would be surprised if Dixie didn't borrow at least SOMETHING from Diddy. Even if it's somthing minor or simple like using Diddy as a base model or being a Wolf or a Lucas type situation. But I do think with the limited amount of time and resources being poured into a bunch of other assets; Dixie will have some shortcuts taken. I trust Sakurai enough to make her Uniquely Dixie though despite all that.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Of course, personally I don't have a problem with Dixie borrowing many of Diddy's assets, or his neutral game. It's no doubt they have a similar body shape, so I'm sure some shortcuts could be taken there. But I think everyone agrees that a 1:1 Diddy echo would just not make any sense for Dixie. I'd also argue that enough changes would need to be made, that she'd no longer be an echo at all. I mean, many people suggest that she could be a Diddy echo, just with this move changed and that move changed, maybe DK's up+B, maybe a new dash, maybe some of Peach's floating mechanic. But to me, at that point she may as well be a unique fighter then?

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Other characters who I think have a good chance or can't be counted out just yet:
-Kat & Ana
-Tails
-Lycanroc
-Decidueye
-Sceptile (All of these pokemon are competing for one spot, btw.)
-Tapu Koko
-Blaziken
-Dillon
-Ninten
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Magalor
-Shantae
Oh hey, I just noticed your most wanted newcomers! You have fine tastes sir!

Top Bottom