• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
The fact that Dixie hasn’t been in smash yet is crazy
She starred in 2/3 of the original trilogy and has enough to differentiate her from Diddy.

I understand people want K. Rool but there’s no reason why he should be in before Dixie.

StormC

Smash Hero
The fact that Dixie hasn’t been in smash yet is crazy
She starred in 2/3 of the original trilogy and has enough to differentiate her from Diddy.

I understand people want K. Rool but there’s no reason why he should be in before Dixie.
Because K. Rool has had a primary role in more games and came first?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Because K. Rool has had a primary role in more games and came first?
Yet where has he been the last ten years?
Don’t get me wrong I want K. Rool too but Dixie is more iconic and deserving of a spot on the roster. Ideally I would have both.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yet where has he been the last ten years?
Don’t get me wrong I want K. Rool too but Dixie is more iconic and deserving of a spot on the roster. Ideally I would have both.
Where was Dixie between DKC3 and Tropical Freeze?

StormC

Smash Hero
Playable in various spin off games, more than K. Rool.

And she was the main protagonist of DKC 3 let’s not forget that
K. Rool was the main villain in two of those spin-offs and playable in two more (he's playable in King Of Swing too, even). He's appeared in over a dozen games total, I don't buy the idea that one appearance in TF usurps all that. And this is coming from a Dixie supporter.

It doesn't have to be an "either or" situation. It should be both. Sakurai has slept on this franchise long enough.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
K. Rool was the main villain in two of those spin-offs and playable in two more (he's playable in King Of Swing too, even). He's appeared in over a dozen games total, I don't buy the idea that one appearance in TF usurps all that. And this is coming from a Dixie supporter.

It doesn't have to be an "either or" situation. It should be both. Sakurai has slept on this franchise long enough.
I agree with you that it should be both, if I had to choose based on who deserves it more though I would have to say Dixie. If it was up to be I’d have those two AND cranky kong

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Let's try to avoid any discussions as to who is more deserving between K. Rool and Dixie. There are a considerable amount of people in here who support K. Rool just as much if not more than Dixie, and all these discussions do is divide us.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Literally beat me to it, Seth. I was lurking the forums but logged in just to say my piece about Dixie v K. Rool.

StormC StormC and MrReyes96 MrReyes96 , you guys were generally civil about it, but one of the guidelines for the thread in the Closing Word Section is to avoid these types of topics. I've seen this turn hostile and escalate so badly that it plagued both Dixie's and K. Rool's previous threads. We're much better off leaving that in the past and focusing on other topics, like potential movesets, stage representation, music choices, etc.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I love the DK franchise and I just want more DK stuff in Smash Switch. I don't understand people arguing whether Dixie or K.Rool deserves more to be playable. Dixie has always been my favorite DK character but to be honest I really want both Dixie and K.Rool. Both have good chances this time. Sakurai can't ignore the DK series anymore. Even Nintendo knows about K.Rool, the DK crew and the animal Buddies...I mean what's all that DK reference in Super Mario Odyssey about??

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Who was chosen was already decided a long time ago, probably. If there's any poll that could influence it, if you're talking about popularity, it would be the Smash Ballot.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Oh, I forgot that smash for switch is already coming this year! It's so unusual because normally we get a ton of reveal trailers and info regarding new characters, stages, game mechanics and so on.
I wonder if they are just going to reveal everything at e3. I remember that when the first smash bros brawl trailer was shown, they revealed 5 newcomers. Maybe they do it like then and give us many character reveals at e3

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I forgot that smash for switch is already coming this year! It's so unusual because normally we get a ton of reveal trailers and info regarding new characters, stages, game mechanics and so on.
I wonder if they are just going to reveal everything at e3. I remember that when the first smash bros brawl trailer was shown, they revealed 5 newcomers. Maybe they do it like then and give us many character reveals at e3
I'd be kind of surprised if they don't reveal a few more newcomers at E3. I think Nintendo knows that new characters bring a lot of hype and given that they're having a Smash invitational again, it'd make sense to show off some new fighters and then have them be playable at the tournament and on the show floor (if I remember right, 6 newcomers were playable at the last Smash invitational).

I do wonder if we'll start getting regular Smash updates on the Smash site though. If the game really is coming out this year, it seems like they'll have a lot of info to reveal in a pretty short time...

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
E3 will likely show off at least 3 newcomers. Given the the precedent of revealing multiple newcomers at the first E3 in a Smash development cycle (Brawl revealed :metaknight:,:pit:,:zerosuitsamus:,:wario:,:snake:, and Sm4sh revealed :4villager:,:4megaman:,:4wiifit:), and the fact that this is probably the only E3 before release, it's a safe bet.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I really hope we get a reveal of a big new DK game this year at e3 alongside a trailer of smash switch with dixie and k. Rool.
I miss the Smash dojo website from smash Bros brawl, that was really cool. Does anyone remember that?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Would tou guys be mad If Dixie gets playable with abother character by her side? Someone like Kiddy Kong?

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't think that I would be like super mad, but I think that's very unlikely because kiddy Kong is probably the most hated dk character and hasn't appeared in any form since dkc 3 gba, so Nintendo isn't interested in him either. I like him though...

Quillion

Smash Hero
I definitely think it's time for the Kremlings to return to the DKC series. If the rumors point in the right direction, I'm thinking this will be the case.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Did you notice that Dixie design has changed a little bit since the Nintendo-Rare times? I personally prefer Dixie Kong's design from DKC2/3. I wonder how Dixie will look like in smash switch

Laniv

Smash Champion
Did you notice that Dixie design has changed a little bit since the Nintendo-Rare times? I personally prefer Dixie Kong's design from DKC2/3. I wonder how Dixie will look like in smash switch
Actually, it would be very possible for the team to add some extra details like they did with Peach in Melee or King Dedede and Olimar in Brawl.

Personally I hope they give her a new pin like the old one she lost in 2002. Maybe one of these?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's a cute drawing. And yes, I have noticed Dixie's design change. I don't like it, to be honest. I mean, it's fine. It's fine compared to K. Rool's redesign, which I hate. It still "looks" like Dixie. But the old Dixie looked like she had the ability to be more sassy. She looked smarter. The new Dixie looks like she's cute and kawaii all the time. It's almost as if they de-aged her. The new design looks more "safe" in a way. It just doesn't sit right with me how her beret and face seem squished. Nor do I like that they took her curly hair away.

I think they took character away from her. I would hope that Dixie uses her Rare design in Smash Bros to match DK and Diddy.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Dixie lost a lot of personality with her Retro design. The original trilogy is steeped in late 80s early 90s "attitude," and Dixie's leg warmers and headband combo, along with the painted toenails and t-shirt knot, contributed to that valley girl feel. In general the Retro DK games lost quite a bit of charm by making the franchise more "timeless." I do appreciate the lighter color fur, though, that was a good design choice.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand :
That's almost the same that I said to my brother the other day when we were talking about the original dkc trilogy! I dunno but somehow she looked more like a brave and more independent heroine back then. Her knee pads, her red hair band under her beret were also removed. And she had pink nails.
Maybe to many details for Nintendo to handle???

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
In support of Dixie, I've made this review of her debut game, DKC2

(In all seriousness, I still hope Dixie gets in, she's slowly becoming my favorite DK character for smash)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey DarkFoxTeam DarkFoxTeam I noticed you liked the OP. Shall I add you to the Support List?

Well done! I'll add this to the OP. Are the pin designs yours too or is the tumblr user who posted it the owner?

That reminds me of some fanart I posted 5 years back that I'll add as well. Check this out:

Hey maybe add this signature to the first post:

Good idea, thanks.
Posted in the k rool thread but

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3058...uses-donkey-kong-country-speculation-with-a-s

I think Dixie is golden if she's in it

If the kremlings are in it then k rool is golden
This is really exciting! Lately Nintendo's been priming us for something big regarding DK. First the references in Odyssey, then the Rabbids DLC, the Tropical Freeze port and now this teaser? They've definitely got something on the way and we might find out really soon. I just really hope Retro's on this project; they did an amazing job with the last game and they could really take it to the next level.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well done! I'll add this to the OP. Are the pin designs yours too or is the tumblr user who posted it the owner?

That reminds me of some fanart I posted 5 years back that I'll add as well. Check this out:
If you're talking about these:

These are actually Miyamoto's suggestions for a logo to be used on Dixie Kong's beret! As we know, Rare used none of them. :p

As for where I found the image itself, I found it here.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Hey DarkFoxTeam DarkFoxTeam I noticed you liked the OP. Shall I add you to the Support List?
Yes, definitely! I could have sworn I posted about my support here before. My apologies on that front. I'm huge advocate of Dixie Kong being added into Smash Bros, so add me on the list. Here's hoping this is the time DKC gets more reps!

D

Deleted member

So there's this thread that in the general discussion where supporters of certain characters explain the appeal of their character named "convince me".

The current round is for Dixie Kong, but as someone who only played one game where she appeared I can't really do a good job in explaining the appeal as much as you guys (Not to mention I'm less passionate about her than I am about my other wants). Is anyone up to the task?

Thread can be found here: https://smashboards.com/threads/convince-me-april-2-dixie-kong.453937/

Last edited by a moderator:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If you're talking about these:

These are actually Miyamoto's suggestions for a logo to be used on Dixie Kong's beret! As we know, Rare used none of them. :p

As for where I found the image itself, I found it here.
I didn't know Miyamoto made these! I guess Rare wanted to be more meta and decided to use Nintendo's and their own logos as pins for the two.

Thanks for sharing these; if you or anyone else has Dixie fanart to share feel free to post it, within limits of course.

Yes, definitely! I could have sworn I posted about my support here before. My apologies on that front. I'm huge advocate of Dixie Kong being added into Smash Bros, so add me on the list. Here's hoping this is the time DKC gets more reps!
It's okay, cuz you're on the list now! Welcome to the Barrel!

So there's this thread that in the general discussion where supporters of certain characters explain the appeal of their character named "convince me".

The current round is for Dixie Kong, but as someone who only played one game where she appeared I can't really do a good job in explaining the appeal as much as you guys (Not to mention I'm less passionate about her than I am about my other wants). Is anyone up to the task?

Thread can be found here: https://smashboards.com/threads/convince-me-april-2-dixie-kong.453937/
I checked out the thread and I like the premise. There's only 2 posts for Dixie, but I'm about to jump in and say my piece. I gotta admit that this was a great case for her:

Dixie is the secret star of the Donkey Kong series. That may be a bold statement to say about someone who didn't even appear in the first Country, but seriously - her ponytail-induced gliding expanded the limits of the level design of DKC2 and 3. They're all broader and much more open than the first game's, and all the better for it. She's the star of two of her own games, Country 3 and Land 3, and pretty much steals the show in Country 2 and Land 2. It's telling that when the Country games returned with... well, Returns, Retro kept it to the more "iconic" duo of Donkey and Diddy, but knew deep down in their hearts they knew that something was missing, and gave Diddy the ability to hover with his jetpack from 64. But Dixie did it first. Diddy Kong is kept awake at night by the sinking feeling that he knows that he was just a cheap imitation of his girlfriend in Returns. Then Tropical Freeze happened and he was completely usurped by her as the superior Kong yet again anyway. She's a bona-fide Nintendo All-Star, and one of the few missing from Smash.

Of course, status isn't the thing that convinces skeptics. A lot of people's issues with Dixie are her similarities to Diddy. Other than her hair and guitar, what does she offer that's new? Well, this operates under the assumption that every new character has to reinvent the wheel. But this doesn't have to be the case. Part of Sakurai's forte is taking characters that on paper look very samey and doing something radically different with them. On paper, Ike is another blue-haired swordsman, and conceptually has a lot of the same specials as Marth - in the broadest possible terms, neutral B is a sword thrust, up B is an upward slash, side B is a sideways slash, down B is a counter - but they play nothing alike. Pitch Ike to someone in those broad terms pre-Brawl and they'd probably yawn, but give them him to play and it's plain to see he's his own beast entirely. And Wolf? Uses Fox as a basis, sure, but plays so completely differently that he loses the clone status altogether. It's often hard for fans to convey what would make their character of choice distinct, but Sakurai finds nuances to exploit to make them unique, and there's plenty of material for him to do that with Dixie - who is at a conceptual level far more different from Diddy than Ike is from Marth or Wolf is from Fox. Smash fans far smarter than I and more well-versed in the mechanics and intricacies of the game will probably argue this case much better than I have, and there are so many prospective movesets for Dixie out there that are super unique and unlike anyone else on the roster. But even if Sakurai doesn't go that far, even if Dixie isn't a radical departure from Diddy, that doesn't mean she'd have to be samey. I think one of Nintendo's leading ladies has earned herself the benefit of the doubt, with more than enough material to work with for Sakurai to make a distinct character out of.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Posted in the k rool thread but

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3058...uses-donkey-kong-country-speculation-with-a-s

I think Dixie is golden if she's in it

If the kremlings are in it then k rool is golden
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think an Italian Nintendo account is hinting anything DKC-related. It's just an Instagram story with no real purpose behind it. The speculation surrounding the story feature doesn't make sense because DKC already has 5 games.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Based on the K Rool costume for the previous game, you wouldn't necessarily be looking at her modern design. I'd be excited to see a new design for this game, because the K Rool Mii costume is really nicely done.

Top Bottom