• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have one question, actually, which I forgot to ask before - would the Kongs have spacesuits, so as to survive some of the environments that they'd be traversing? :laugh:
..Now that you mention it...I didn't think of that LOL. I've gotten so used to seeing the Kongs wear the same thing for so long that it slipped right past me, but I think I would have them wear suits that fit their personalities, since I thought the clothes DK and Diddy had in Strikerz and Skylanders was pretty damn cool.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
..Now that you mention it...I didn't think of that LOL. I've gotten so used to seeing the Kongs wear the same thing for so long that it slipped right past me, but I think I would have them wear suits that fit their personalities, since I thought the clothes DK and Diddy had in Strikerz and Skylanders was pretty damn cool.
Hah, that's what I was thinking too, hence why I asked.

Though, admittedly, I did think that DK's racing-suit in Skylanders SuperChargers was a bit unfashionable. :laugh: Diddy's looked cool, though.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I made these character UIs of Dixie Kong a while back. What do you think?

dixiekong-character-ui-8player.png

Aaaaannnnd here are all of the four DK reps together because why not. :b

dk-characters.png

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I made these character UIs of Dixie Kong a while back. What do you think?

View attachment 131565

Aaaaannnnd here are all of the four DK reps together because why not. :b

View attachment 131566
This is straight up outstanding. Loving the UI's and I'll post it to the OP soon--I'm just having some trouble with the forums' loading when I edit a post (Smash Ball of Death), and Photobucket seems to have failed me yet again with displaying images. :/

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
and Photobucket seems to have failed me yet again with displaying images. :/
It was mentioned to me recently by someone I know who uses it that Photobucket now no longer allows you to link to your images on outside sites unless you subscribe to a paid plan.

You might be best off moving your hosted images over to Imgur.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
After a hiatus due to technical difficulties, I'm back yet again, and I bring with me a small handful of music tracks. I don't have much to share this time, but what I do have focuses on DKC 2 & 3. Honestly I recommend any track from DKC2, and with DKC3 I personally choose the GBA version of Mill Fever as a standout from this section's update. Feel free to suggest some tracks if you want. Have a listen:

Anyway, with photobucket being frustrating I've been taking the time to reorganize a few dozen pictures to move them to imgur, like Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin pointed out; now that the transfer is complete I've re-installed my illustrations, added AustarusIV AustarusIV 's contributions and recovered the work of other supporters too. That being said, I wasn't completely sure who contributed which alternate color because I made the mistake of not crediting the artist on photobucket despite crediting them on this site, but I've corrected that now by doing so on imgur as well. Just to make sure I made no mistakes, I need @Ghirahilda , Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom and @MelMoe to confirm that the images shown under their spoiler tags are the ones they presented.

EDIT: False alarm, Melmoe's name does show up.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I checked. My image is correct. Perhaps I might whip up a new set of color swaps for old times sake:)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man, I had this CRAZY dream the other night. So they announced the new Smash Bros and it was pretty hype; we got confirmations of a bunch of new characters from new franchises like the inklings, an ARMS character and others, and then the trailer ended. But just as the screen went black, the vid transitioned to a render of the Kongo Jungle, with something rustling in the bushes. Everyone got excited because it meant a new DK character, and out of the bushes leaped....a green, blue and black striped crocodile that walked on all fours with a banana peel on its back. That was the newcomer--a crocodile that was never seen in a DK game that had no link to the kremlings or kongs other than having a banana peel as a partner. To say people weren't happy would be way too mild, and to make matters worse, Dixie was confirmed to be a Mii costume along with K.Rool, as both their Mii cosplayers lay unconscious on the ground while this crocodile trampled them.

Thank God I was just dreaming...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well deserving of a spot and can stand on her own as a unique character with her own quirks. Fully support Dixie, the more representation from the DK series the better, we're well overdue on that front!
Welcome to the Barrel! We're one step closer to 150 supporters, so make yourself at home!

That reminds me, since Mario's teaming up with the Rabbids, what would y'all think about a DK and Rayman crossover? I asked on the Rayman thread so I thought I'd bring it up here. Any ideas on what type of game it'd be? Me personally I'd like an RPG but with a mix of a beat em up, since Rayman and co are very violent types, and while DK's not on his Jungle Beat vibe, the recent DKCs are action-oriented and shows that the kongs aren't afraid to whup ***

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Is anyone else having problems with the way this site's showing images? I checked the OP and the thread doesn't seem to have room to display images as they're getting cut off by other spoiler tags, and some like AustarusIV's at the bottom of the OP are showing that window with a red X sign. Hopefully it's just me? Cuz when I go to edit them, they show up there.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Is anyone else having problems with the way this site's showing images? I checked the OP and the thread doesn't seem to have room to display images as they're getting cut off by other spoiler tags,
I've just combed through all of the spoiler-tagged stuff in the main post, and nothing's getting cut off, for me (I'm using the current version of Firefox on Linux). The only stuff that's not working is the broken images dotted throughout, which I'll address below.

and some like AustarusIV's at the bottom of the OP are showing that window with a red X sign. Hopefully it's just me? Cuz when I go to edit them, they show up there.
This particular issue is due to the site's image-proxy. It breaks occasionally, leading to images that actually exist appearing broken. All you can do is wait for it to fix itself on the day that it breaks, though sometimes it doesn't for all images, and you'll have to re-upload the affected ones.

The partial breakage in the main post is probably due to it not fixing itself on a previous occasion that it happened (it hit my signature the last time, and though I waited a few days to see if it started behaving again, it didn't, and I had to re-upload them).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've just combed through all of the spoiler-tagged stuff in the main post, and nothing's getting cut off, for me (I'm using the current version of Firefox on Linux). The only stuff that's not working is the broken images dotted throughout, which I'll address below.

This particular issue is due to the site's image-proxy. It breaks occasionally, leading to images that actually exist appearing broken. All you can do is wait for it to fix itself on the day that it breaks, though sometimes it doesn't for all images, and you'll have to re-upload the affected ones.

The partial breakage in the main post is probably due to it not fixing itself on a previous occasion that it happened (it hit my signature the last time, and though I waited a few days to see if it started behaving again, it didn't, and I had to re-upload them).
Thanks, UI really appreciate the insight. At first I was worried that imgur was having the same problem as photobucket but I'm glad that's not the case. Cool avatar BTW :)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks, UI really appreciate the insight.
Hey, no problem! :grin:

At first I was worried that imgur was having the same problem as photobucket but I'm glad that's not the case.
Don't worry, this one's entirely a Smashboards problem. Unfortunately, it's a recurring, irritating one, too. I understand that the proxy is there to provide a notification of clicked links taking you off-site, but I still don't get why it's applied to images, when it breaks them sitewide literally every few weeks...

Cool avatar BTW :)
Hah, thanks! After the recent Nintendo Direct, it had to be done, of course. :laugh:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, everyone. I found a vid on DKC from 2 years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arhKUp4N6Qw

I like their rundown of how the secrets expanded throughout the games, and although I tend to overlook DKC3, after watching this I gotta admit they took the exploration to a whole new level and I'd like to see something like that in a new game.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm just sick n' tired of not having any more Donkey Kong characters present. For the first time, I really, really support the inclusion of Dixie, preferably with K. Rool, but just getting a new DK slot is what I want at this point, and I really think Dixie would be a great addition to the roster in total.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here. I just want either Donkey Kong Country character. And even if Dixie isn't as grand as an addition as K.Rool, I would welcome her with open arms. Think she's pretty likely anwyay, but we've sailed those waters before.... I remember most people thinking Dixie was one of the most likely characters for Smash 4...

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
True, they said, either one was a shoe-in, and the forum almost went bananas.
Harder to pin point those who are truly a shoe-in at this point.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sup, everyone! Been avoiding gaming sites to prevent spoilers for the 3 major games coming out--especially Mario Odyssey, but since we're on the eve of those games and I'll be jumping around New Donk City very soon, I have a handful of things I've wanted to show:

The first is from The Geek Critique. I stumbled upon that channel and took a liking to the vids; I even linked to one a while back about DKC in general, and now TGC has 2 vids up about DKCR and Tropical Freeze respectively. I enjoyed the first vid and was very much looking forward to the sequel, so here they are:

DKCR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbVop6n6ac
DKCTF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnGrcZHu1Pg

Next, we have some recently established news that the GCN controller adapter works for the Switch! I still use that for Smash Wii U, so it's good to know that any gamecube-related games will work with that controller.

I'm just sick n' tired of not having any more Donkey Kong characters present. For the first time, I really, really support the inclusion of Dixie, preferably with K. Rool, but just getting a new DK slot is what I want at this point, and I really think Dixie would be a great addition to the roster in total.
Hello, and thanks for dropping by to show support! TBH I'm still shocked that we've gone through 4 Smash games and only got 1 character besides DK in this series, and I think going this long is becoming a glaring problem. I would love to have Dixie and K. Rool join; in my case I started to take a shine to Dixie since she seems to have untapped potential (to me at least) whereas I assumed K. Rool was a given among no-brainers, but like you and Diddy said, we didn't get either.

I'll add you to the list; sorry for the long delay.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think the lack of representation in Melee is what hurted us the most. It was that game that sort of established which series would get the most focus on in the upcoming games, except for Kirby (the period in time Sakurai withheld his bias). The Rare-buyout couldn't POSSIBLY have happened at a worse time. I still believe that the lack of a Diddy Kong trophy in Melee is a big deal, because I still think he was planned. How could he not have been? I still remember the day Diddy was confirmed for Brawl stating outrightely that it was 'weird' for Diddy to appear so late in the Smash franchise.

tl;dr: Diddy Kong in Melee would've given us far more room for a newcomer of DKC in Brawl. In which case we'd now at least have 3 characters, taken that Smash 4 didn't have a newcomer.

Would've put the franchise in a much better light.

Smash 4 has made me realise that DKC content should'nt be taken for granted. Everyone expected Dixie, yet she was nowhere to be seen in the end. Maybe we got extremely unlucky with semi-clones not making the base roster outside of Luigi. With the cuts of Lucas and Wolf, the concept of 'semi-clone' was absent. Now DLC brought back Roy and Lucas, but they where veterans...

Just stating that we might be a bit more vocal with our want for Dixie, and overall DKC representation. After Brawl and the Subspace Emissary and the well-respected roles of the Kongs in regard to character and representation in it gave me a lot of hope that Sakurai was on 'our side'. I even would've trust him with making a new DKC game akin to what he did with Kid Icarus Uprising after SSE... Now, am not so sure anymore if I would want that... Imagine K.Rool returning and then boom, another Kremling King takes over after 1/3th of the game. :laugh:

Anyway, I appriciate how this support thread has became home of intelligent discussion ever since Smash 4's dissapointment. I still think Dixie is likely if they are going to do a port, and thus rather build new characters from excisting builds... In that regard, I could see Dixie as a great newcomer as a Diddy Kong-semi clone who's about more floaty air combat and more defensive gameplay than Diddy. Even if she could make an awesome unique character, I think it'll be realistic to keep in mind she might have some character traits of Diddy in her moveset.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I still think the lack of representation in Melee is what hurted us the most. It was that game that sort of established which series would get the most focus on in the upcoming games, except for Kirby (the period in time Sakurai withheld his bias). The Rare-buyout couldn't POSSIBLY have happened at a worse time. I still believe that the lack of a Diddy Kong trophy in Melee is a big deal, because I still think he was planned. How could he not have been? I still remember the day Diddy was confirmed for Brawl stating outrightely that it was 'weird' for Diddy to appear so late in the Smash franchise.

tl;dr: Diddy Kong in Melee would've given us far more room for a newcomer of DKC in Brawl. In which case we'd now at least have 3 characters, taken that Smash 4 didn't have a newcomer.

Would've put the franchise in a much better light.

Smash 4 has made me realise that DKC content should'nt be taken for granted. Everyone expected Dixie, yet she was nowhere to be seen in the end. Maybe we got extremely unlucky with semi-clones not making the base roster outside of Luigi. With the cuts of Lucas and Wolf, the concept of 'semi-clone' was absent. Now DLC brought back Roy and Lucas, but they where veterans...

Just stating that we might be a bit more vocal with our want for Dixie, and overall DKC representation. After Brawl and the Subspace Emissary and the well-respected roles of the Kongs in regard to character and representation in it gave me a lot of hope that Sakurai was on 'our side'. I even would've trust him with making a new DKC game akin to what he did with Kid Icarus Uprising after SSE... Now, am not so sure anymore if I would want that... Imagine K.Rool returning and then boom, another Kremling King takes over after 1/3th of the game. :laugh:

Anyway, I appriciate how this support thread has became home of intelligent discussion ever since Smash 4's dissapointment. I still think Dixie is likely if they are going to do a port, and thus rather build new characters from excisting builds... In that regard, I could see Dixie as a great newcomer as a Diddy Kong-semi clone who's about more floaty air combat and more defensive gameplay than Diddy. Even if she could make an awesome unique character, I think it'll be realistic to keep in mind she might have some character traits of Diddy in her moveset.
I generally agree. Microsoft buying Rare put a big strain on the DKC brand, which The Geek Critique went in detail about in a couple of his vids. It's why DK had basically 0 main games and why he and Diddy migrated over to the Mario spinoffs, and while it's cool to see the Kongs interacting with Mario and friends, the general lack of main games outside of Jungle Beat and the Swing series probably helped non-DK fans think that his series is in a similar category to Yoshi--he's basically a Mario character and not someone with his own distinct franchise. I know Sakurai responds to and addresses criticisms of the past Smash in each new installment, so hopefully we do get more DK content and stages in general that aren't just the 1st level of a recent game. Even though sometimes he misinterprets the complaints.

Now on the subject of Dixie herself, it's possible she could end up as a clone/semi-clone but the likelihood is a different story. We still don't know for sure if Smash Switch will be a port like Mario Kart or a fully fledged new installment; if it's the former then maybe, but if it's the latter then all bets are off. I prefer the latter, as that gives us fuel to let the moveset speculation take off. In regards to that, if we're predicting a semi-clone moveset we're limiting potential ideas to a specific template, which to me is boring. Until we get confirmation on what type of Smash we're looking at, and whether Sakurai's involved or not I say let the moveset ideas flow in different directions, but of course that's just me.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
We still don't know for sure if Smash Switch will be a port like Mario Kart or a fully fledged new installment; if it's the former then maybe, but if it's the latter then all bets are off. I prefer the latter, as that gives us fuel to let the moveset speculation take off. In regards to that, if we're predicting a semi-clone moveset we're limiting potential ideas to a specific template, which to me is boring. Until we get confirmation on what type of Smash we're looking at, and whether Sakurai's involved or not I say let the moveset ideas flow in different directions, but of course that's just me.
The notion of Smash Switch being some sort of content-light port of Smash 3DS/Wii U has always been implausible*, and whilst it briefly had a small amount of plausibility at the start of 2017, that time is long-gone, now, I feel.

*The fact that its source was the same group who brought us "Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as launch-day Switch game", "Two Switch SKUs at launch, one with more memory and Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as a pack-in game", "Zelda delayed until later in the summer, 3D Mario as big Switch launch-day game", "Switch only available in grey at launch, and then white later", "Multiple individuals confirmed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has new cups", and more, doesn't help its case. "Ballot-winner Shovel Knight" is also a blood-relative of these rumours. We all know how each and every one of these turned out.

Reason being, we know that they started work on the next Smash game in April of 2014, according to Bandai-Namco's own "Smash 6" job-listing (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is considered "Smash 4", and Smash Wii U is considered "Smash 5"). That's the same time that work on Super Mario Odyssey began, along with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It was a year-and-a-half before Splatoon 2 started development, too, since that was made in only two years. This even lines up with the timeframes that were claimed in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours.

Folks often cite the case of Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe here, but I think that folks might not be looking at this from all angles - when Mario Kart 8 was released on the Wii U, it was clearly unfinished, and it had a number of presentation issues and bugs, some of which were never fixed in that version of the game. Moreover, it had some interface design decisions that were downright boneheaded for the Wii U, such as using a vertical split-screen for two-player games, which made perfect sense only once the Switch came into the picture, with its stock controllers attached to its sides - the sides that each player gets in a two-player game. If you ask me, Mario Kart 8 wasn't ported to the Switch - it was backported to try to keep the Wii U afloat.

The case of Pokken Tournament DX doesn't apply here, either, as Pokken Tournament was designed from the start to have both home and arcade versions, and both get used in official events. Pokken DX simply continues that by providing the home version on a current machine.

And that's not even touching on the fact that a lot of content and references in Smash 3DS/Wii U are extremely out-of-date by now, with a number of them having been quite old in the first place due to all of the recycled content from Brawl. To try to sell that again in 2018 seems like a very odd idea, and considering that Smash entries often tend to be a bit of a time-capsule relating to the state of things when they were released, it wouldn't reflect the system that it's on very well at all.

To me, trying to sell a minimally-altered port of a three-and-a-half-year-old game as what would be one of the Switch's hugest offerings for 2018, which is very likely going to have to act as a flagship title for the soon-to-be-paid online service (something it can't do well if you can just play a near-identical game on the free-of-charge 3DS/Wii U online services), sounds like a pretty strange proposition, and it simply doesn't take four years of development-time to do that. :p

EDIT: And just look at how they're going all out for Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - a promotional mobile phone/tablet game. Why go all-out on that, and not on a major release for the console that they're trying to use such things to promote?

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The notion of Smash Switch being some sort of content-light port of Smash 3DS/Wii U has always been implausible*, and whilst it briefly had a small amount of plausibility at the start of 2017, that time is long-gone, now, I feel.

*The fact that its source was the same group who brought us "Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as launch-day Switch game", "Two Switch SKUs at launch, one with more memory and Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as a pack-in game", "Zelda delayed until later in the summer, 3D Mario as big Switch launch-day game", "Switch only available in grey at launch, and then white later", "Multiple individuals confirmed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has new cups", and more, doesn't help its case. "Ballot-winner Shovel Knight" is also a blood-relative of these rumours. We all know how each and every one of these turned out.

Reason being, we know that they started work on the next Smash game in April of 2014, according to Bandai-Namco's own "Smash 6" job-listing (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is considered "Smash 4", and Smash Wii U is considered "Smash 5"). That's the same time that work on Super Mario Odyssey began, along with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It was a year-and-a-half before Splatoon 2 started development, too, since that was made in only two years. This even lines up with the timeframes that were claimed in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours.

Folks often cite the case of Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe here, but I think that folks might not be looking at this from all angles - when Mario Kart 8 was released on the Wii U, it was clearly unfinished, and it had a number of presentation issues and bugs, some of which were never fixed in that version of the game. Moreover, it had some interface design decisions that were downright boneheaded for the Wii U, such as using a vertical split-screen for two-player games, which made perfect sense only once the Switch came into the picture, with its stock controllers attached to its sides - the sides that each player gets in a two-player game. If you ask me, Mario Kart 8 wasn't ported to the Switch - it was backported to try to keep the Wii U afloat.

The case of Pokken Tournament DX doesn't apply here, either, as Pokken Tournament was designed from the start to have both home and arcade versions, and both get used in official events. Pokken DX simply continues that by providing the home version on a current machine.

And that's not even touching on the fact that a lot of content and references in Smash 3DS/Wii U are extremely out-of-date by now, with a number of them having been quite old in the first place due to all of the recycled content from Brawl. To try to sell that again in 2018 seems like a very odd idea, and considering that Smash entries often tend to be a bit of a time-capsule relating to the state of things when they were released, it wouldn't reflect the system that it's on very well at all.

To me, trying to sell a minimally-altered port of a three-and-a-half-year-old game as what would be one of the Switch's hugest offerings for 2018, which is very likely going to have to act as a flagship title for the soon-to-be-paid online service (something it can't do well if you can just play a near-identical game on the free-of-charge 3DS/Wii U online services), sounds like a pretty strange proposition, and it simply doesn't take four years of development-time to do that. :p

EDIT: And just look at how they're going all out for Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - a promotional mobile phone/tablet game. Why go all-out on that, and not on a major release for the console that they're trying to use such things to promote?
This is a fascinating read. I honestly would like the next Smash to be a brand new game, and this gives me the perspective and confidence that it will be a new installment.

didn't know much about the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors either, and if it turns out to be true I'd look forward to playing that and seeing just how far the animal vehicles gets explored. :D

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This is a fascinating read. I honestly would like the next Smash to be a brand new game, and this gives me the perspective and confidence that it will be a new installment.
Do bear in mind that things can change drastically during a game's development, and all we have to build up a picture from is this three-and-a-half year old job-listing. We don't really know what we'll get, but I do think that it provides some perspective, especially when put alongside the Switch's other major titles from this year, which all seem to have gone into development at around the same time.

Also, take note that, at this point, provided nothing super-drastic did change, then, with three-and-a-half years under its belt, "Smash 6" has had a longer development-time than any other Smash title to date, at this point.

Sakurai's hint about his next project is also worthy of note. Whilst it doesn't give us much of a picture, I don't think that many people could look at his studying of a realistic rifle and associate that with Super Smash Bros., somehow. I certainly don't think of Smash when I see that he's studying realistic firearms, personally.

didn't know much about the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors either, and if it turns out to be true I'd look forward to playing that and seeing just how far the animal vehicles gets explored. :D
This is one rumour that I'd really like to turn out to be true.

Personally, I never felt that the original Diddy Kong Racing quite lived up to its potential; I did absolutely everything there was to do in the original, but it was often marred by extreme repetition and the cheating AI amplifying the game's already-repetitive design. (It also didn't help that it was really obvious that it had been quickly rebranded from something else - something that they somewhat hamfistedly tried to address in Diddy Kong Racing DS, but there was really only so much that they could do with that.)

I'm fairly sure that game-design has advanced considerably since then, and I'd imagine that a modern sequel would improve upon the idea and could easily turn out to be a must-have game.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Damn, somewhat unrelated, but they should totally add Timber's Island from Diddy Kong Racing as a stage. Can even be Dixie's home turf!
Unfortunately, they wouldn't be able to easily do that. There are some complicated rights issues surrounding Diddy Kong Racing, namely that Rare owns a significant chunk of it, and all of the non-Kong and non-Kremling characters, Timber included. This very likely extends to his homeland as well.

The best hope for something similar would be if the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours prove to be true, but of course, it wouldn't be quite the same.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So what am getting here that the earlier rumors of Diddy Kong Racing 2 might actually hold some merrit? I loved the conspiracy behind it, and lots seems reasonably enough to believe. I am not getting my hopes up too much, but for a long time now there's several rumors surrounding Donkey Kong and the franchise. The subtle cameos on the street signs of Odyssey is also a thing I was exicted about...

I just hope a new DKC game is going to convince me to buy a Switch. Because not even Smash 4 and Tropical Freeze could make me buy a Wii U. I only have my regrets regarding Tropical Freeze tbh.

About Dixie and her potential moveset... I don't think her being based of Diddy as a semi clone is bad at all. Especially if they give her unique mechanics through her grab game and the Helicoper Spin with the jump command. That alone ensures her to be unique regardless of the rest of the moveset.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
About Dixie and her potential moveset... I don't think her being based of Diddy as a semi clone is bad at all. Especially if they give her unique mechanics through her grab game and the Helicoper Spin with the jump command. That alone ensures her to be unique regardless of the rest of the moveset.
More or less - feels most natural to me too, since she seems similar in build and kind of took Diddy's role in DKC3 (while Kiddy was DK again)

Been a while since coming here BTW -- Young Horsetail, incase you wonder if I'm a supporter.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So what am getting here that the earlier rumors of Diddy Kong Racing 2 might actually hold some merrit? I loved the conspiracy behind it, and lots seems reasonably enough to believe. I am not getting my hopes up too much, but for a long time now there's several rumors surrounding Donkey Kong and the franchise.
Personally, yes, I feel that it still holds a little merit because there are claims made in the rumours that do stack up with some things that we know about the Switch and how major titles for it have been developed.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much either, but there's certainly plenty about the rumours that seems plausible enough.

I'm sure that Dixie would be in it, too. :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what am getting here that the earlier rumors of Diddy Kong Racing 2 might actually hold some merrit? I loved the conspiracy behind it, and lots seems reasonably enough to believe. I am not getting my hopes up too much, but for a long time now there's several rumors surrounding Donkey Kong and the franchise. The subtle cameos on the street signs of Odyssey is also a thing I was exicted about...
I just want Diddy Kong Racing in the N64 Classic Edition along with Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Banjo-Tooie. :awesome:

Make it happen, Nintendo and Microsoft. :idea:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked the Silver Coins. They weren't all too hard to collect except for a few.

Diddy Kong Racing 2 would sell me a Switch, that's a given.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It would be a BIG mistake to leave her out again. Too many reasons to add her instead of leaving her for the 3rd/4th time (if count Melee)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It would be a BIG mistake to leave her out again. Too many reasons to add her instead of leaving her for the 3rd/4th time (if count Melee)
I honestly already wanted Diddy in Smash 64. I thought the Ness siluette was Diddy to be true.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ , long time no see. Good to know you're still around. :)
Sakurai's hint about his next project is also worthy of note. Whilst it doesn't give us much of a picture, I don't think that many people could look at his studying of a realistic rifle and associate that with Super Smash Bros., somehow. I certainly don't think of Smash when I see that he's studying realistic firearms, personally.
Yea, with that pic being Sakurai's only clue it could literally be anything. Smash Bros didn't even cross my mind when I saw what that link led to, so all I can do is shrug and stay inconclusive.

I won't let the rumors make me get hype-crazy, but if this turns out to be real then I'd be glad that it's had a longer development cycle. What I've learned about the series--especially since Melee's development--is that Sakurai and his teams seem to break their necks to get the games out once work on it starts, and the games may need a longer development cycle for the sake of those making it. Obviously that might mean more waiting for us, but Smash is the type of series I'd rather have them take their time with in the first place

This is one rumour that I'd really like to turn out to be true.

Personally, I never felt that the original Diddy Kong Racing quite lived up to its potential; I did absolutely everything there was to do in the original, but it was often marred by extreme repetition and the cheating AI amplifying the game's already-repetitive design. (It also didn't help that it was really obvious that it had been quickly rebranded from something else - something that they somewhat hamfistedly tried to address in Diddy Kong Racing DS, but there was really only so much that they could do with that.)

I'm fairly sure that game-design has advanced considerably since then, and I'd imagine that a modern sequel would improve upon the idea and could easily turn out to be a must-have game.
MAN you won't believe this, but Did You Know Gaming JUST uploaded a vid about Diddy Kong, and it touches upon his racing game.

TBH I need to replay DKR with fresh eyes and see what holds up vs what doesn't. It's been 17 years since I last played and gaming's come a long way; I think it's necessary to revisit oldschool games to see what's done well and whatnot, but that's also why I'm not as crazy about DK64 as I was as a kid. Going from memory though, I remember hating the boss races for blatantly cheating, but if we do get a modern sequel anytime soon, I think the design can learn a lot from Mario Kart and even Sonic All-Stars Racing 2 (the title's too long so I just slapped a 2 on it lol).

Yea, we're reaching the point where I ask 'what's the holdup?'; I don't mean to sound entitled but the series could use more love than what we've been getting for the past 4 or 5 games.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Obviously that might mean more waiting for us, but Smash is the type of series I'd rather have them take their time with in the first place
After how content-light Smash 3DS/Wii U was, I think it'd be nice if the Switch got something that could rival or surpass Brawl, in terms of how much is packed into the game, personally.

Going from memory though, I remember hating the boss races for blatantly cheating,
This was by far one of the worst points, coupled with the issue where the regular AIs would cheat similarly when you had to repeat courses in order to get additional required collectible items. For me, it didn't make it feel like there was a lot to do, so much as it felt like there was too much repetitive padding (Diddy Kong Racing DS addressed some, but not all, of this).

Because Diddy Kong Racing was hurriedly rebranded from another game, and possibly rushed out for Christmas that year, I don't know if it's one of the cases where the PAL version was made more difficult, which was often the case for us guys over here back then (for example, it's very strange playing Donkey Kong Country on the SNES Mini, now - the US version was used there, and it's easier than the PAL version was back in the day, and has different handling for the minecarts).

but if we do get a modern sequel anytime soon, I think the design can learn a lot from Mario Kart and even Sonic All-Stars Racing 2 (the title's too long so I just slapped a 2 on it lol).
Totally agreed. The mission-based structure of the latter could work very nicely with a hypothetical Diddy Kong Racing 2. I've been thinking of that for a little while, since Skylanders SuperChargers Racing for the 3DS - in which DK (with Diddy in a sidecar) was playable if you scanned in the Turbo Charge Donkey Kong Skylander/Amiibo figure in Skylanders-mode - also used that same map/mission structure, and it worked quite well there, too.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey, ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ , long time no see. Good to know you're still around. :)
Long time no see either! It's bit surprising, I had been more in a long-time departure from SB since two years ago, yet lately I've been feeling like coming here back more often...

I doubt about coming back on various speculation though, I think I'm enough done since SSB4's speculation era + post-release era weren't exactly most pleasant to me overall.

Yea, we're reaching the point where I ask 'what's the holdup?'; I don't mean to sound entitled but the series could use more love than what we've been getting for the past 4 or 5 games.
Quite - DKC-series has really underrated reputation despite it's quite consistent quality since DKCR. Smash only adds on that via making the series feel like sidelined and outdated by representation at times despite a very good stage in Wii U, not to mention bit generic - like do I wish they'd move back on giving DK and Diddy their voices from their actual series rather than keeping them a loud chimp and a big ape respectively. Not to mention DK Island Swing has gone beyond green hills now within the SSB4's music selection...

In whole, I think this series is bit having a janky representation in Smash today, not really being helped by throw-away shoutouts to the main villain and overall ignorance of the heroine.

Doesn't help that Donkey Kong Country-related stuff is more known around blocks with memes around general public, hence why I find hardly any passionate fans of DKC-characters outside of Smashboards on general social sites, I mean, it's tad odd I seem to have personal fondness on :4diddy: due the unforgettable journey of DKC2 along with the somewhat clunky but charming DK64. Hardly see DKC-chars given that kind of respect though in Smash-related fanart though, but I guess it's because they're mere barbaric apes by mind rather than handsomely humans, that's all.:4mii:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Quite - DKC-series has really underrated reputation despite it's quite consistent quality since DKCR. Smash only adds on that via making the series feel like sidelined and outdated by representation at times despite a very good stage in Wii U, not to mention bit generic - like do I wish they'd move back on giving DK and Diddy their voices from their actual series rather than keeping them a loud chimp and a big ape respectively. Not to mention DK Island Swing has gone beyond green hills now within the SSB4's music selection...

In whole, I think this series is bit having a janky representation in Smash today, not really being helped by throw-away shoutouts to the main villain and overall ignorance of the heroine.
Ehhh, TBH I like the realistic noises from them; it makes them seem badass and wild, but I don't mind their modern voices at all. It makes me wonder which voice they'd use for Dixie though, 'cuz I'm not sure how her wild voice would sound without being a higher pitch of Diddy's, which would then annoy me because it'd sound ear-piercing. In her case I think she definitely should use her canon voice, which would be weird if DK and Diddy still sound wild, so I can picture all 3 kongs getting their regular voices from a scenario like that. Bowser's demon voice from the modern Mario games is much cooler than those reptile noises he makes though.

And I still can't get over us having 7 Jungle Level tracks. Funny story, I was talking to a coworker months back about some Pokémon music concert, and he was saying he's surprised that it exists because he's not too familiar with the soundtrack. He then said he sees why Mario and Zelda get music symphonies, but wished other franchises got that treatment, so I chimed in and said a DK symphony would be dope. That surprised him, so he asked 'Wait..don't they mainly use bongos for their music?' and I automatically knew what he meant, so I showed him Big Top Bop from Tropical Freeze and it BLEW. HIS. MIND. The guy was shocked; said he had no idea music like this was in DK, because the most contact he had with the series was Smash Bros, and when he thought of DK before he only could recall the Jungle Level music.

Having more than just that track would actually work well for people who don't have much contact with the series. Imagine if we got 7 versions of Gourmet Race, Ground Theme, The LoZ theme (which we might thanks to DLC) but little else from those series. It'd be annoying, and if I didn't know better I'd say that's all those franchises had to offer.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Back again with some OC Remixes of DKC3.
Sea Breeze Concerto (Stilt Village GBA)
Blast Beatdown (Nuts and Bolts)
Cliffside Clamber Rockface Rumble)
Intoxica (Pokey Pipes)
Can't Boss Us Around (Boss Theme)
Arichnophobia (Arich Boss, GBA)
Aquatic Transformations (Water World, GBA)
Beneath The Moonlight (Stilt Village, GBA)
Spanish Jitters (Jungle Jitters, GBA)
Kingfisher's Stream (Cascade Capers)

Not gonna lie, I think I like some of the remixes better than the originals, and 'Beneath the Moonlight' was incredible IMO. Pure magic... Also, some of these remixes were performed by through a collab with David Wise.

The Rare buyout set the DKC franchise back as a whole, by pretty much a decade. I'd imagine DK would be much more of a staple in Smash and with Nintendo in general had the buyout not happened compared to now, and as a result possibly more/better representation in Smash.

I see similarities with Crash Bandicoot. Both had a magnificent and treasured trilogy to start off, then carrying momentum till the 90's/early 00s with DK64/GBC/GBA remakes CTR/Crash Bash/Wrath of Cortex before external forces and other stuff forced a steady decline and a period of uncertainty, transition. Crash fell much further with dross like Mutants, Titans, etc. Where as DKC was still chugging along.

I just feel that sometimes the DKC series does not get the respect it deserves. Back in DK's prime in the mid to late 90s the series was easily in a top 5 behind probably only Mario and Zelda in terms of overall popularity and recognition.

Now, it's a steady climb back to more relevancy(hopefully!), Returns sales were fantastic and TF was well received. Some nice references in Odyssey too. lets hope this translates into something on a bigger scale!

Why did I mention Crash? Cause I'd love to see DKC get the Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy treatment!

Mentioned this in the Kutthroats thread, it will be a real shot in the arm for the series, imagine seeing Bramble Blast in all its glory, remastered from the ground up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom