• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

To think this creature exists in a world that sometimes looks like this

And sometimes sounds like this.

But I guess can also sound like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think it can be explained by the fact that Rare still had Banjo-Kazooie on the brain when they made DK64. In fact, Fungi Forest was originally one of the seven(?) cut levels from Banjo-Kazooie that were later reused in other games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is a great opportunity to really show our support for Dixie being the most deserving 1st party character. A lot of outsiders might currently be down on her for being "boring", so participation is key now.
TBH I feel she is likely due to her being relatively popular and an easy enough echo for Diddy. Could she do more? Probably. But if she had her ponytail grab and helicopter hair, I think I could live with her borrowing a lot from Diddy. I also feel an Echo pass might come to fruition.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
TBH I feel she is likely due to her being relatively popular and an easy enough echo for Diddy. Could she do more? Probably. But if she had her ponytail grab and helicopter hair, I think I could live with her borrowing a lot from Diddy. I also feel an Echo pass might come to fruition.
I see a lot of people outside her base being down on her chances though (most 1st parties in that thread are being shredded right now), that's why we need to scream as loud as possible like Rool and Banjo's fanbases.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It must explain why Tiny Kong existed, too. Not that Tooty will amount to anything now, mind.
Originally, Rare only wanted characters from DKC1 in DK64 (or that might've been a mandate from Nintendo; I don't know). That's why they created an OC, Tiny, instead of using Dixie. But then later they added Wrinkly and some DKC2 enemies like Klobber and Shuri anyway.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hi there, glad to see the positive feedback from Banjo Kazooie getting in Ultimate!
I'm still shocked that Microsoft was so cool with it, a Rare reunion indeed!

I also like to apologise for flustered by a possible solution that was brought up, I won't get argumentative about the clone situation even if I still believe she needs to be a semi clone at least. I finally found her on the spirit board yesterday (no pun intended but she's a rare one to find) and it was so much fun even if it was quite difficult and that made me think of this thread.

I do fear a little that how dlc is going with the "Super Smash Bros x Third party franchise" might discomfirm the spirits but I feel that it's still a good idea to show support for her future so we can make our voice heard.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
TBH, I never had a problem with Tiny. I thought she was cool back in the day, even though I didn't know who Dixie was. I think her shrinking mechanic would work wonders if they keep it her main focus (like Ant-Man) as it would differentiate her from Dixie very easily.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I finally found her on the spirit board yesterday (no pun intended but she's a rare one to find) and it was so much fun even if it was quite difficult and that made me think of this thread.
She's not rare. She doesn't appear at all until you summon her at least once (the same applies to every summonable spirit, I think). After that, she's no less common than any other spirit.

I do fear a little that how dlc is going with the "Super Smash Bros x Third party franchise" might discomfirm the spirits but I feel that it's still a good idea to show support for her future so we can make our voice heard.
Don't forget, the "Smash Bros. x franchise" thing has been used for first-party reveals as well, including the King K. Rool Mii suit in Smash 4.

TBH, I never had a problem with Tiny. I thought she was cool back in the day, even though I didn't know who Dixie was. I think her shrinking mechanic would work wonders if they keep it her main focus (like Ant-Man) as it would differentiate her from Dixie very easily.
I'm still thrown for a loop whenever someone says they played DK64 before DKC and its sequels. I can't imagine how my idea of the series and its characters would develop if I hadn't played the Countries first.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm still thrown for a loop whenever someone says they played DK64 before DKC and its sequels. I can't imagine how my idea of the series and its characters would develop if I hadn't played the Countries first.
Well, in my case I played and beat DKC 1 and Diddy Kong Racing before DK64; DKC1 came out when I was 2, and by the time I played it I was 4 and thus the N64 had just come out (1996), so my family left the SNES behind. With Diddy Kong Racing coming out in '97 and me loving Diddy almost as much as Crash, when DK64 hit in '99 I was all over it as I could finally play as Diddy in a Mario 64 style game. I didn't learn about Dixie until I read Tiny's bio in the manual, and didn't know what she looked like until I saw her trophy in Melee. I'd already played and beaten DKC1, but didn't get to the sequels until 2007, at which point I gravitated towards Dixie because she made the levels much easier.

It's funny that Dixie upstaged Diddy the way Diddy upstaged DK for me. If I got to play DKC2 as a kid, Dixie would probably have been my favorite Kong instead lol.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
She's not rare. She doesn't appear at all until you summon her at least once (the same applies to every summonable spirit, I think). After that, she's no less common than any other spirit.
I know about the summon thing which I done a long time ago but she never shows up on my game up until that day.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
my first DK games were DKC2 and Diddy Kong Racing so as far as I was concerned, Diddy was the true protagonist of the series

ze9

Smash Ace
My first console was the N64 so my first DK games were DKR and DK64. At the time, Diddy was by far my favourite, but I liked all the kongs.
I actually only played the classic Country games in my 20s, after Jungle Beat and Returns. So I got exposed to Dixie only fairly late... But if you ask me, DKC2 and TF are the two highest points of the series. So of course I got attached to her. There's not many games I like as much as those two.

Tiny is fine, in my opinion. At least, OG Tiny.
She, Lanky and Chunky are probably the most '90s designs that ever '90ed and I love them for that.
Though I can't help but see her as Not-Dixie nowadays. There's just too much overlap, and Dixie is more fun, and on top of that she's the original and the one who got the better games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I can see her shrinking being used for FS purposes in particular. They would just need to do it in a way that's like a more balanced version of the Poison Mushroom status.

In the meantime, I just wish I knew if Retro plans to do anything with the 64 Kongs...

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Well, in my case I played and beat DKC 1 and Diddy Kong Racing before DK64; DKC1 came out when I was 2, and by the time I played it I was 4 and thus the N64 had just come out (1996), so my family left the SNES behind. With Diddy Kong Racing coming out in '97 and me loving Diddy almost as much as Crash, when DK64 hit in '99 I was all over it as I could finally play as Diddy in a Mario 64 style game. I didn't learn about Dixie until I read Tiny's bio in the manual, and didn't know what she looked like until I saw her trophy in Melee. I'd already played and beaten DKC1, but didn't get to the sequels until 2007, at which point I gravitated towards Dixie because she made the levels much easier.

It's funny that Dixie upstaged Diddy the way Diddy upstaged DK for me. If I got to play DKC2 as a kid, Dixie would probably have been my favorite Kong instead lol.
I'm the same way. I only played DKC, DK64, and, Diddy Kong Racing as a kid. Never played DKC2 and DKC3 until after Brawl was released through the Wii VC in 2008. My actual first exposure to Dixie was Mario Superstar Baseball on the GCN and Mario Hoops 3 on 3 on DS. I fell in love with her design in those games. But fell in love with her character through DKC2 and DKC3.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some interesting developments over on the Rate Their Chances Thread.

Dixie Kong
14.17% Chance, 81.92% Want
Winner of predictions was [IMG]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/259/259131.jpg?1546811086[/IMG] Sari by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 13.06%
Last time we rated her she got 22.57% Chance and 67.42% Want. We rated her before the game was even released, but her Spirit was already known by then (not sure about her Mii Costume). I think people were and are betting on an Echo pass, which would explain her low drop in chance. Want grew a lot. Banjo fans rallying to her side? A craving for any first party character? She virtually swapped Want scores with Bandana Dee.
Dixie is now the character with the highest Want.
As expected, Dixie's chance went down (though not as much as I expected, mainly due to the inital rating being fairly low). However, it is a pleasant surprise to see her "want" rating actually go up, as GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 possibly attributed to Rool and Banjo fans flocking over to her side now that they have been satiated. Either way, it's nice to have a little positive news, however small it is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Some interesting developments over on the Rate Their Chances Thread.

As expected, Dixie's chance went down (though not as much as I expected, mainly due to the inital rating being fairly low). However, it is a pleasant surprise to see her "want" rating actually go up, as GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 possibly attributed to Rool and Banjo fans flocking over to her side now that they have been satiated. Either way, it's nice to have a little positive news, however small it is.
Another interesting thing to note is that people have very low predictions for her, yet the actual rating surpassed them all. This may be indicative of an interesting phenomenon, where everyone thinks the others are low on Dixie's chances and act accordingly, yet when asked individually it turns out people have higher hopes. Something similar to pluralistic innocence, or the Abilene paradox. So maybe we should be more optimistic about her perception!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think at the very least, if Smash 6 came and went without Dixie, there would be a lot of confusion. Most everyone seems to agree she should be in, even if not everyone has her as their #1. People have expected Dixie to show up since pre-Smash 4 and now they're really wondering where the heck she is.

I wish we could channel the demand into something more meaningful but based on Sakurai's recent comments he's as of now no longer interested in taking fan feedback. I think the big thing is if a new DK game comes out and Dixie isn't in it, we have to (politely!) make our voices heard.

Dixie is basically the only character remaining I would personally list as an A-tier request. All my S-tiers are in. While there's characters I'd really like to see like Bandana Dee and Ganon, Dixie just has to be in at some point. The Rareware family doesn't feel complete without her.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, that’s kind of already the case for Ultimate.
You're right, but I think people at least understand why she isn't in this time, with King K. Rool and the limited newcomers. After another 5-7 years and the next Smash speculation cycle starts, there will be more hunger for Dixie and no other DK character will be on people's minds more than Dixie, especially after Ultimate generally speaking hasn't had many female newcomers. There will be no way to explain her absence other than Sakurai not feeling she is worthy.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, out of all the playable characters who had a game that had a "Save the Princess"-style plot? Basically, who's main quest was it to rescue someone, whether it be a princess, friend or loved one? This is a question for playable characters only.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Being born in 1990 exactly, I got the full chronological DKC experience. I even played the Gameboy Land games. Donkey Kong Land being the first game I owned, because I liked playing DKC1 at my cousin and aunts place a lot. We also borrowed their NES for a while but none of the games stuck with me at all. Donkey Kong Land was amazing for me. And quickly after I came to own my SNES and played all the DKC games, 2 being my absolute favorite of all times. On the N64 I played DKR, DK64 and Banjo Kazooie but no other Rare titles except for Golden Eye (didn’t own that one tho). Lot of it had to do that my parents wanted me to fund my own games. So outside the mentioned games I only really played Mario 64, Zelda, Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokémon Snap and Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
I want to say I got an SNES around 1995 or 1996, when I was 4-5. Not sure on the exact date, but it was definitely before the N64 came out, which I remember vividly. My brother and I had watched my neighbor play Super Mario World on it, and we got it with SMW for ourselves. At some point shortly after we got the first two DKCs and the two of us played the hell out of those games. Initially I never got DKC3 but I rented it a few times. Got DK64 when it came out. Around 2002 I got DKC3 off of eBay and was fascinated with the "missing puzzle piece" of one of my favorite gaming series growing up. In 2 and 3 I always defaulted to Dixie and even now my older brother would remember who Dixie is despite not having played these games in two decades. I even showed him the King K. Rool trailer and he remembered who he was.

Even if people can't name Dixie the same way they can name Mario or Pikachu, I bet a ton would recognize her as "the girl monkey with hair" from the DKC games. Everyone I've talked to loves playing as Dixie in 2 and 3. I wish that someday there would be a way to play as other Kongs in DKCs again in a less roundabout way.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'm sorry Dixie, but the next DK character has already been decided. Dr. Squitter will debut this Winter in both Smash Bros Ultimate and Dr. Mario World.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'd like to throw in my support for Dixie if I haven't already. Why not.

But the way I picture her, I think she's an echo-- no, not really an echo, but more like, a character with a moveset derived from an existing fighter. Basically I imagine she would play much like Diddy Kong with a few differences.

B is Bubblegum Popgun, which has a faster fire rate, and can also leave sticky spots on the ground that enemies get stuck in.
Up+B is being able to fly around with Squawks instead of a Rocket Barrel Pack.
She also has the ability to helicopter ponytail through the air which makes her slowly descend in a fashion similar to Peach's parasol.

Her final smash is calling a stampede of her animal friends who hit the enemy in a variety of comical ways - first Squitter shows up and spits a big web at them, trapping them to initiate the attack. Then Squawks spits coconuts at them, Enguarde leaps out of water and rapidly jabs them with his snout, Rattly bounces on them, then finally Rambi comes charging and bashes them into next Tuesday.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I just want a Dixie Kong amiibo guys just real badly...If Dixie doesnt come to Ultimate in a hypothetical 2nd fighters pass then I sure as hell hope the next DK game launches with an amiibo line...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I just want a Dixie Kong amiibo guys just real badly...If Dixie doesnt come to Ultimate in a hypothetical 2nd fighters pass then I sure as hell hope the next DK game launches with an amiibo line...
Unfortunately, I think they're starting to wind down Amiibo this generation, Mario Maker 2 not having them was a bad sign.
I think Dixie's best chance of getting an Amiibo is Smash Bros. Diddy Kong got an Amiibo as part of the Mario line, but he generally appears more in Mario spin offs, he was in Mario Tennis Aces while Dixie wasn't.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unfortunately, I think they're starting to wind down Amiibo this generation, Mario Maker 2 not having them was a bad sign.
I think Dixie's best chance of getting an Amiibo is Smash Bros. Diddy Kong got an Amiibo as part of the Mario line, but he generally appears more in Mario spin offs, he was in Mario Tennis Aces while Dixie wasn't.
Which is such a shame IMO because their is so many more Nintendo characters I'd love to own amiibo of. But amiibos seem to be dying as unlike the Wii U era, Nintendo doesnt need the extra revenue amiibo bring/brought to survive as the Switch and its software are selling like gangbusters.

I also think Nintendo kinda shot themselves in the foot with amiibo. Most people who buy amiibo (like myself) dont use them for in game functionality (as amiibo have always been pretty lackluster in that regard) but to own merchandise for characters that dont usually get much and they're fun to collect/display. But instead of Nintendo making amiibo of characters that dont get merch often, Nintendo has seemed to think people only want Mario and Link amiibos. Mario has like what 10 amiibo and Link like 15? It just kinda makes me upset that characters like Dixie Kong, Cranky, Funky, Toadette, Pauline, Tingle, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, Krystal, DJ Octavio, Birdo, etc. dont have any and probably will never get any where as Mario and Link have 10+ different amiibo.

Which to tie back into Smash Bros. and I know this is about to sound selfish but amiibo is a big reason I get hyped about newcomers in Ultimate. I love to own different Nintendo characters as amiibo. King K.Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus, Wolf, Incineroar, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer, Ivysaur, and Squirtle I all love owning amiibo of. While Im glad Inklings, Chrom, Isabelle, and Daisy made it to Smash I was like "Well they already have amiibo thats kinda lame" as someone who only likes to own 1 of each character. Also as someone who doesnt collect 3rd party character amiibos the fighters pass when it was announced at the Game Awards let me down. Cause I've stated in the past (and most people on this site know) not a fan of 3rd parties in Smash not only cause of Smash itself but due to a lack of new 1st party character amiibo. I get it, it's a 1st world problem. But just thought I'd give my two cents as one of the last few passionate amiibo collectors left out there.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
As much as I love B&K's trailer, and I'm sure that I'm not the first one to mention this, in retrospect it was a bit sad that Dixie wasn't there to welcome the Bear and Bird along with her Rareware buddies. It's just a damn shame. Honestly I would probably be okay with an echo at this point. Maybe she could be Kenified or whatever the kids are calling it these days. Not quite as distinct as Luigi, but still have a good bit of her own moves?

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
As much as I love B&K's trailer, and I'm sure that I'm not the first one to mention this, in retrospect it was a bit sad that Dixie wasn't there to welcome the Bear and Bird along with her Rareware buddies. It's just a damn shame. Honestly I would probably be okay with an echo at this point. Maybe she could be Kenified or whatever the kids are calling it these days. Not quite as distinct as Luigi, but still have a good bit of her own moves?
Well at the very least if there's one more shot of a DK newcomer, it's gonna be Dixie.
No ifs, ands or buts.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I cant believe no one has posted this yet but here's a video interview from Game Informer with David Wise breaking down his DKC career:

Some interesting tidbits for people who dont have time to watch all 40 minutes:

-David Wise's favorite DKC1 track is Aquatic Ambience
-David Wise's favorite overall soundtrack he has worked on is DKC: Tropical Freeze
-David Wise says he's willing to work with Retro Studios again if he were ever asked too
-Seashore War is David Wise's favorite Tropical Freeze track
-Wise would like to compose for either Zelda or the Metal Gear Solid series if ever given the chance.
-The video Wise breaks down certain tracks like Gangplank Galleon, Aquatic Ambience, Seashore War, Diddy's Kong Quest opening theme, Lockjaw's Saga and more.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh, I meant the DK Island part of the Universal Studios Nintendo attraction. There is also a Mario Kart part planned. I think there are regional differences because there are different parks in different areas.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i hope this comes true: i will NOT be deprived of my life-long dream to meet ellie the elephant in person

Top Bottom