• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace

I had a nightmare Nintendo didn't reveal a new DK. Not only that, but the new 3D Mario was a 3D Mario Maker. That idea isn't bad, but the levels they chose to show off were cluttered as all hell. Like they were developed by kids placing random crap all over the screen. Finally, they showed off the new Zelda. Thought to myself "Well surely this will save this direct." Nope. It was Zelda Maker which was basically the same damn game as above but with Link playable jumping around like Mario saying "WAHOO; MAMMA MIA!" It was hilarious. I couldn't believe that Nintendo had just given up like that.

I'm praying to the Kong gods Hyle is right. I can't believe I was just 20 when Tropical Freeze came out, and now my knees are locking into place. Hurry Nintendo! Before we become Cranky and have to get dentures, not after.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I could easily see a DKC title coming out in 2022 while being revealed this year. Nintendo has typically spaced out Mario and DK in terms of game releases (with DKC3 and Mario 64's release in 1996 being the only time mainline games from both released in the same year) and would fit the development time Hyle is suggesting. Do a reveal at E3 for release next spring is entirely possible.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I had a nightmare Nintendo didn't reveal a new DK. Not only that, but the new 3D Mario was a 3D Mario Maker. That idea isn't bad, but the levels they chose to show off were cluttered as all hell. Like they were developed by kids placing random crap all over the screen. Finally, they showed off the new Zelda. Thought to myself "Well surely this will save this direct." Nope. It was Zelda Maker which was basically the same damn game as above but with Link playable jumping around like Mario saying "WAHOO; MAMMA MIA!" It was hilarious. I couldn't believe that Nintendo had just given up like that.

I'm praying to the Kong gods Hyle is right. I can't believe I was just 20 when Tropical Freeze came out, and now my knees are locking into place. Hurry Nintendo! Before we become Cranky and have to get dentures, not after.
If there is any man in the DKC community to put stock on, it's Hyle Russell. Wait until E3 my friend.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kiddy is such a filler character. If they wanted a DK type character along with Dixie in DKC3, then maybe promote Funky to playable?
To me, Funky would be a easy choice for a DK Echo. He literally plays like DK in Tropical Freeze outside of his surfboard he uses to fly around obstacles like a helicopter. Other than that, he plays just like DK in Tropical Freeze. He would make a lot of sense as a Echo Fighter.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I've discussed the issue with Kiddy before (him seemingly appearing in a role Donkey Kong could have easily done himself) in hindsight a major aspect was that he was a meh character design coming after a very consistent streak of great ones.

DK's redesign was perfect, Diddy embodied the younger/more adventurous sidekick, and Dixie was cute while still still appearing adept. Even the NPC's (barring Candy's initial uncanny valley look) all fit great for their characters. Kiddy's overall appearance though, just doesn't really impress. He's not necessarily ugly, but nowhere as cute/charming as Dixie nor is really cool looking either. If he were someone popping up in cutscenes with Cranky, like there was some running gag of the latter stuck looking after a baby while he's trying to give you level tips? His design would work.

But as a the playable lead in the third game? Feels like a letdown.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To me, Funky would be a easy choice for a DK Echo. He literally plays like DK in Tropical Freeze outside of his surfboard he uses to fly around obstacles like a helicopter. Other than that, he plays just like DK in Tropical Freeze. He would make a lot of sense as a Echo Fighter.
Not only that, but I highly suspect his model in Mario Kart Wii was based from DK's as well, thus making him a faster driver to make for development's sake.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Kiddy is such a filler character. If they wanted a DK type character along with Dixie in DKC3, then maybe promote Funky to playable?
IDK why this never crossed my mind back then, but it would've worked so well! I'd rather have a Dixie/Funky adventure over Dixie/Kiddy. Ah well...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
IDK why this never crossed my mind back then, but it would've worked so well! I'd rather have a Dixie/Funky adventure over Dixie/Kiddy. Ah well...
There would be a size difference between him and Dixie so the same contrast in weight would have been there, he was a known (and relatively well liked) character, and you could even play it off as the laid back Funky finally deciding to get involved directly against the Kremlings.

And it’s easy to imagine the rotation in characters for that scenario. Funky gets Kiddy's spot, Cranky takes over Funky via a Kong Junkyard selling items, and you could even have the first semi-friendly Kremling called Kompetitor to take over Cranky's spot in Swanky's games.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Saw this at Resetera.

Here is a poll of the most popular characters in Japan. While it doesn't look good for Diddy (he's in last), these kinds of polls don't tell us the whole story. Just because Diddy isn't THE character of choice doesn't mean he isn't A character of choice. Diddy could easily be a popular secondary or just a character they seldomly play often. Now if this was a poll of who is the least played or disliked, and Diddy was at the top then I would be disappointed.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Saw this at Resetera.

Here is a poll of the most popular characters in Japan. While it doesn't look good for Diddy (he's in last), these kinds of polls don't tell us the whole story. Just because Diddy isn't THE character of choice doesn't mean he isn't A character of choice. Diddy could easily be a popular secondary or just a character they seldomly play often. Now if this was a poll of who is the least played or disliked, and Diddy was at the top then I would be disappointed.
To be fair, I think Diddy is last because people are fed up with all these anime swordsmonkeys that Smash adds constantly.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Saw this at Resetera.

I wonder if Diddy would be higher if that tag team idea with Dixie worked out in Brawl.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Just in time for Donkey Kong day, a new update to Donkey Kong Racing! This time for the Kongs that debuted in 64. All 3 got new drawings. Tiny looks the most different from before. Decided to give her tie dye overalls to go with her flower power theme. Chunky also got a change in his gym attire. And Lanky is still Lanky!

Seashore! Another great installment, I like how you've improved your lighting and shading. Everyone has more definition now, keep it up!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

The always fantastic KingK has done a really solid video on DKC2. I know someone explaining why Diddy's Kong Quest is great is a bit like detailing why water is wet to the likes of us, but its an effective look at why the game holds up even to a relative newcomer like him.
DKC2 is one of the best games period. Music, design, challenge level, controls, variety. Its perfect. Not only is Dixie required for Smash, but also so she can bring more DKC2 music with her.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Seashore! Another great installment, I like how you've improved your lighting and shading. Everyone has more definition now, keep it up!
Thanks! Funny you quoted this today cause I have another one done.

With all the talk about Kiddy this week, it's only fitting to have the only new kong from DKC3 here!

Kiddy is all by himself (as he should be), but he got a new drawing. And joining the Ellie plushie is a Squitter plushie! The real stars of the show.

Updated with less teeth lol InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand

Last edited:

BallZ

Smash Cadet
Thankfully we know Nintendo is participating in E3 this year, so maybe a new DK game then? Also, it's highly likely that character 10 will be announced then, so maybe a Dixie Kong reveal as a tie-in for the new game?
I would love a new DKC title for Switch. I know there is probably licensing issues with Rareware, but how awesome would it be if the story involved the return of King K Rool? The title could be "The Krempire Strikes Back".

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Saw this at Resetera.

-Falcondorf at Number 2.

Japan really has really bad tastes sometimes. and reminds me of why i don't really care about popularity contests. Now i shall pin them as guilty for Ganondorf's current state.

We can discard their worthless opinion based on this fact alone.

But hey at least K.Rool is pretty damn high (12 Place), so it's not all lost.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley being among the middle of the list is interesting... Figured he had to have some popularity there given the number of Japanese players I’ve seen he has, some of whom I follow. Diddy’s placement though, yeah... wtf.

As for Ganondorf, I’ve always been a proponent of him deserving better, but a character can still be well liked while not being that good (people liking him isn’t uncommon in the West either). Having picked him back up as a secondary after his recent up B fix, can say I still like playing him and find him fun for what he is.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The point of Kiddy Kong was to focus the highlight on Dixie. Her partnering up with DK or even Funky, would take the focus of Dixie.

This is the Dixie thread, I thought people would understand.
I like Funky Kong, but I don't think he's a bigger deal than Dixie Kong. Funky would be perfect as Dixie's sidekick as he shares her coolness without overshadowing her.

I do find the humorous juxtaposition of Kiddy Kong to Dixie kind of endearing through time. If it puts someone like Jon Comms through the ringer everytime he's brought up, then I say Kiddy was worth it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not saying it makes it right but if I was to hazard a guess, I’d blame Diddy being one of the harder to use characters in Ultimate as to why he’s placed so low there (same reason for Peach, good as she is), while Ganondorf’s placement could be due to how easy he is to use (he’s common in quick play for a reason). Not only is Pyra/Mythra new and their designs made to appeal to Japan, but Pyra’s practically a female Ganondorf in damage output which could be part of why they’re #1... Japan has its casuals just like anywhere else.

Could be that others (not just Japan) perceive Diddy as generic now too due to Nintendo's mismanagement of the DK brand. Apart from Brawl’s SSE, Diddy hasn’t really been portrayed as cool as he was in the 90’s. Even in Tropical Freeze he’s just kinda there, while others like Dixie and Cranky were no doubt played more. Diddy may never be on top of the world again like he was in the 90’s, but if he ever got some kind of game again as the lead, his popularity increase could go a long way. Having been my favorite Kong growing up, would say post-Rare Diddy needs to shine somehow.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The point of Kiddy Kong was to focus the highlight on Dixie. Her partnering up with DK or even Funky, would take the focus of Dixie.

This is the Dixie thread, I thought people would understand.
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. In the original DKC, despite the focus being on DK, Diddy was often the preferred character by many in spite of outright being the sidekick. Given how well Dixie was received in DKC2, I think its entirely possible she could have still been a major favorite even if Donkey did come back. Same with Funky who I'm sure would have gotten a lot of initial attention for being promoted to playable, but if the gameplay aspects were balanced, would have complimented Dixie rather than overshadowing her.

The major issue with Kiddy was that his design/concept didn't stand out and that his advantages tended to be so situational that he just didn't seem as practical. Its unfortunate if a playable character isn't interesting or if they're not terrible useful. To be neither (in the minds of many) is to be Kiddy Kong.

Not saying it makes it right but if I was to hazard a guess, I’d blame Diddy being one of the harder to use characters in Ultimate as to why he’s placed so low there (same reason for Peach, good as she is), while Ganondorf’s placement could be due to how easy he is to use (he’s common in quick play for a reason). Not only is Pyra/Mythra new and their designs made to appeal to Japan, but Pyra’s practically a female Ganondorf in damage output which could be part of why they’re #1... Japan has its casuals just like anywhere else.

Could be that others (not just Japan) perceive Diddy as generic now too due to Nintendo's mismanagement of the DK brand. Apart from Brawl’s SSE, Diddy hasn’t really been portrayed as cool as he was in the 90’s. Even in Tropical Freeze he’s just kinda there, while others like Dixie and Cranky were no doubt played more. Diddy may never be on top of the world again like he was in the 90’s, but if he ever got some kind of game again as the lead, his popularity increase could go a long way. Having been my favorite Kong growing up, would say post-Rare Diddy needs to shine somehow.
This definitely feels like the case. A region that less attachment to a franchise and a character that his heavily technical is one that ends up at the bottom of a Smash list. I mean I adore DKC and even I'm not fond of playing as him that much given that his moveset just doesn't feel that satisfying.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah despite that commercial, game's still called Dixie Kong's Double Trouble. The commercial focussing on Kiddy most likely had to do with the way western games were dominated with male protagonists, and the culture of the west and especially America back then.

And despite Dixie maybe being preferred in gameplay over DK, DK himself is the bigger name and character. No way you can have him as a lead character, and call Dixie the main protagonist. It's just not possible.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Aw, that's cute! Though he does look like you aged him up a few years for some reason, maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the teeth?
I like the Squitter toy: we need animal buddy plushies like that at the Donkey Kong theme park!

I will post it on Monday to start the new week!
Thanks! I see what you mean about the teeth. Definitely wasn't trying to age him up. I'll go back and just give him one tooth lol.

Top Bottom