• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yeah, Sonic basically has been fairly lucky with adaptations. When the worst piece of non-gaming media to feature your character is a one season bit of meh like Sonic Underground, you're not doing too bad.
-AoSth is seen as a meme machine and is looking fondly due to its quirkyness.
-Satam is seen as an example that Sonic can have more serious stories while also being fun.
-When Chris and his OC friends aren't hogging the spotlight, Sonic X is the closest that we get to Adventure-era Sonic stories and is decent and it brought us Mike Pollock.
-Sonic Boom's Cartoon is seen as the only good thing to come out of the Boom Brand.
-The OVA. Need i say more?

There's also the Archie Comics and IDW comics, which despite the ****storm happening with the former, are still seen fondly in many Sonic circles.

It's amazing to me that given the contrasts in consistency for their respective franchises that Sonic ended up getting a film that was fairly restrained and low-key respectful to the character while Mario is getting the celebrity filled fluff from the people that did the Minions movies.
Sonic's Film also has celebrities, but it uses them more wisely.

Jim Carrey's Eggman is a character that only could be fully realized by Carrey's Live performance, his body language and mannerism that characterize his career are used fully in his Robotnik interpretation. He was clearly chosen partially due to his recognizable name, but in the context of the movie he can fully use his expertise to give Robotnik life.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know I ain't posted in a good minute but wanted to give my thoughts on the direct. I thought it was really good. A 3D Kirby game that looks absolutely gorgeous and ambitious is great. Kirby as a series (especially after Star Allies) has grown boring and stagnant and am glad Nintendo/HAL has decided to change it up. Day one purchase.

Bayonetta 3 FINALLY! MY GOD! Game looks incredible visually. At first it caught me off guard cause it looked like they just plopped Bayonetta into the Astral Chain world. So Bayonetta is no longer killing demons and angels but weird looking monsters? Also That did not sound like Helena Taylor to me...

N64 games on NSO. I think it's cool just wish it wasn't part of another price hike. NSO ain't great and yeah it's cool we are getting both N64 and Genesis games but the actual online part of the online service is still lackluster as hell. Also pretty scummy for Nintendo not to give the price information up front. Also $50 for a N64 controller in 2021!? LMAO. Either way at least I will FINALLY be able to truly play Banjo-Kazooie for the first time. Here's hoping we get more Rare games as time goes on... (Really want to play Conker, Diddy Kong Racing, and DK64 multi-player online with people).

Mario Party Superstars. I'm excited for this game purely on nostalgia and the fact it goes online however looking at the game as a full $60 release it seems lacking (which is go to for a LOT of modern Nintendo Switch titles nowadays). The boards they picked I have no problems with except Woody Woods that board is boring as hell but unpopular opinion every board in Mario Party 3 (except Waluigi Island) is boring to me. My problem is only 5 boards and the character roster is tiny. It's the smallest roster the series has ever seen since 4. The game just screams DLC/free updates which I'm doubtful will even happen considering ND Cube never does DLC for its games. They just move onto the next one.

Oh Boy....the Mario movie....when I say I was dying from laughter during that segment....this movie is either about to be a surprise guilty pleasure or an absolute dumpster fire either way I'm here for it. Lmao

Anyway those were the major things that caught my eye in the direct it was a solid direct. Animal Crossing direct and updates feel a little too late for me. Whatever they add should've been added way earlier or been a part of the base game. I'm pretty burnt out on the game and don't see myself returning. I will watch the final Smash direct obviously but I feel nothing towards Smash anymore. Splatoon 3 looks cool I will buy it day one no doubt but I feel no hype or excitement for it. It definitely still feels like the most unnecessary sequel Nintendo could make on Switch and from the looks of it, It looks just like the first two Splatoon games. Their is no major shake up.

Anyway 2022 looks like it will be the year to rival 2017 with the amount of time I will be playing my Switch. I haven't really had a extended play session on my Switch since Origami King came out. Browsers Fury was good but Man did that come and go (since it was only 5 hours long). Been rough these past 2 years (luckily Metroid Dread comes out in 2 weeks). However with Pokemon Legends Arceus, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, Kirby & the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and potentially Breath of the Wild 2. That is already a killer line-up that I'm gonna sink HOURS Into.

Obviously the only thing that could make 2022 better is a new DK game but I'll be honest my hope and optimism for a new DK game drops day by day. I know we will get another DK eventually but my God if we don't see a new DK game in 2022 we will have officially gone 8 years without a new DK game at that point. Also idc if it's 2D or 3D but honestly after seeing Kirby go 3D I think it's only fair Nintendo gives DK the 3D treatment. I'm willing to bet money Kirby & the Forgotten Land will be the best selling Kirby game of all time and I'm not talking about by a couple hundred thousand units but by a LARGE margin and I think DK deserves a game like that as well to put the series back on the map.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The main thing I'm thinking about with the Mario movie, is what kind of tone will it have. When it comes to animated movies, you usually get stuff that appeals to everyone or stuff that's just for kids. In the first category, you get stuff like Pixar (usually), DreamWorks (usually) or Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse which has heart and can be very grim if it wants to. In the other category, you get mindless garbage that runs on the logic of "It's for kids so don't bother with making it good. They're dumb so of course they'll like it." We all know which movies fall into that category.

So in Mario's case, which will it be? I think probably the 2nd one, but I can't say for sure until there's a trailer. Personally I'd like it to have good action that's creative but maybe they'll just skate by on "It's Mario, plus it's not as bad as the live action movie so STFU"

With the celebrity voices, the idea in and of itself isn't bad; all 3 Kung Fu Panda movies are full of celebrities but none of those films are bad in the slightest. You have Jackie Chan, David Cross, Lucy Liu, Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, and Seth Rogan etc going up against villains who are also celebrity voice actors. It's definitely possible to make amazing movies with celebrities at the forefront and still give it heart, depth and meaningful drama. I'd recommend KFP to anyone, along with Toy Story, Shrek (1 & 2 only), a lot of Disney movies and Spiderverse.

Basically we need a trailer before I start judging it.
Oh Boy....the Mario movie....when I say I was dying from laughter during that segment....this movie is either about to be a surprise guilty pleasure or an absolute dumpster fire either way I'm here for it. Lmao
LMAO same! I was like "Chris PRATT?! O....Kay then 😂😂"

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The main thing I'm thinking about with the Mario movie, is what kind of tone will it have. When it comes to animated movies, you usually get stuff that appeals to everyone or stuff that's just for kids. In the first category, you get stuff like Pixar (usually), DreamWorks (usually) or Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse which has heart and can be very grim if it wants to. In the other category, you get mindless garbage that runs on the logic of "It's for kids so don't bother with making it good. They're dumb so of course they'll like it." We all know which movies fall into that category.

So in Mario's case, which will it be? I think probably the 2nd one, but I can't say for sure until there's a trailer. Personally I'd like it to have good action that's creative but maybe they'll just skate by on "It's Mario, plus it's not as bad as the live action movie so STFU"

With the celebrity voices, the idea in and of itself isn't bad; all 3 Kung Fu Panda movies are full of celebrities but none of those films are bad in the slightest. You have Jackie Chan, David Cross, Lucy Liu, Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, and Seth Rogan etc going up against villains who are also celebrity voice actors. It's definitely possible to make amazing movies with celebrities at the forefront and still give it heart, depth and meaningful drama. I'd recommend KFP to anyone, along with Toy Story, Shrek (1 & 2 only), a lot of Disney movies and Spiderverse.

Basically we need a trailer before I start judging it.
LMAO same! I was like "Chris PRATT?! O....Kay then 😂😂"
It's gonna be the latter. It's an Illumination film, and outside of the original Despicable Me, almost all of their moves are money grabs first, movies second.

It's no secret that Nintendo has been more...........money driven, in these last years (to quote former developer Giles Goddard, Nintendo is run now by the shareholders) but a lot of talented developers and people are behind making Nintendo games, so i don't worry too much. In this case we are scewed, because it is being given to Illumination, a shallow pointless company who makes films on the cheap and makes films for money.

As the celebrities in question, the only one I MIGHT be okay with is Jack Black. He has experience voicing character a little more thanks to the Kung Fu Panda films. But even then, i don't think it necessarily means those performances you mentioned are great, it's simply that people are used to it. Tai Lung is an example.

From what i have seen already i know the Mario movie is going to be souless and mediocre at best, and terrible and souless at worst. It's not even gonna be a guilty please or "so bad it's funny" deal like the original, it's gonna be just a product, nothing more and nothing less. and if it ends up being good or at least tell a funny and entertaining story, i would still be mad, because it would mean Charles Missed his chance of finally voicing his most iconic role because someone thought that putting a random nonsense celebrity was a good idea.

I could complain more but i don't wanna talk more about a film i know i don't care about. But the choices this film does just annoy me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yo, Cranky Kong is even in this Mario movie! You know how big this is! This is probably a origin story of the Mario, and Donkey Kong franchise. Which means it's very likely we'll get a movie dedicated to the Donkey Kong franchise too!
And finally pop culture will move on from the freaking 1980's and realise DK has his own freaking series.

I think if the final character is a Nintendo character and NOT one that ties in directly to a Switch game, Dixie Kong makes a good pick as she's pretty well known and isn't tied up in anything like an Assist Trophy or stage gimmick.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And finally pop culture will move on from the freaking 1980's and realise DK has his own freaking series.

I think if the final character is a Nintendo character and NOT one that ties in directly to a Switch game, Dixie Kong makes a good pick as she's pretty well known and isn't tied up in anything like an Assist Trophy or stage gimmick.
I honestly wouldn't think of Dixie as the very first option here, in this case I think Cranky has a better shot for being in the movie and all. It wouldn't be the first time either that the "logical pick" was skipped over for another character, especially this round of DLC characters... Min Min over Spring Man, Kazuya over Heichi, Pyra and Mythra over Rex...

So what if Cranky would make it over Dixie? Would you guys be upset? Personally, I prefer Dixie over Cranky but I wouldn't exactly mind this situation at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Besides, Dixie isn't tied to DK himself much. Diddy is otherwise. However, Cranky is tied to Mario far more than Diddy due to being the original DK. And the current DK is a mainstay in Mario spin-offs, which Diddy only sometimes is in. The two they chose actually fit this well.

I would love Diddy, Dixie, and a lot of other DK characters to cameo too, of course.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I would definitely be fine with Cranky too as mentioned plenty earlier, my only concern is it might only make it harder to push for Dixie after the fact. Some may argue DK has enough playable reps at that point and the burden would be on us more than ever to say what she would bring to the table, or Funky gets a rise in support after having Cranky added, as he'd be the last missing piece from DKC1 which his fans would emphasize. Dixie's always had that DKC1 purism to contend with after all, with the sequels being treated as footnotes by Nintendo in comparison far as promotion/exposure goes and her being merely sequel content in the grand scheme of things.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
P Phoenix Douchebag Yeah I have very little faith in Illumination. It'll look pretty but it won't have that hook you see in good movies. Personally I thought the first Despicable Me was... alright, but not remarkable. I stand by all 3 Kung Fu Pandas though. Many believe KFP2 is the best. Gary Oldman (Sirius Black, Commissioner Gordon) plays the villain of that movie and he's a well respected celebrity actor. JK Simmons (J Jonah Jameson, Tenzin, Cave Johnson, Omni Man, Terrence Fletcher) is the villain of the 3rd and Bryan Cranston (Walter White, Malcolm's Dad) plays Po's biological father. It's the "weakest" of the 3 but that movie is my favorite of the trilogy.

The gist of my paragraph is that I respectfully disagree with your take on their performances. The scene in KFP1 when Po reveals how much he despises himself for being fat and pathetic was moving, as anyone can relate to feeling that worthless. Tai Lung (Ian McShane) brutally mauling Shifu (Dustin Hoffman, another celebrity actor) as he details how badly he's been robbed of a fulfilling life is the emotional peak of that film. Anything with Shen in KFP2 is compelling as Oldman brings genuine malice and hatred to a peacock, to the point that many were more afraid of him than Tai Lung. And of course, the scene where Po's dad retells what happened on the night Shen attacked was also a heartfelt scene, plus other stuff but I'll stop gushing. Basically KFP is a series that utilizes great acting in spite of being a celebrity heavy cast.

That being said, DreamWorks isn't handling this movie so we likely won't get that level of depth from Super Mario, and I don't like any of Illumination's stuff. It's funny that we can talk about certain movies now and still link it back to DK thanks to these announcements. It broadens discussion....I guess..

Also I have to share this:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Hey Seashore, this is another excellent addition to your roster! I never played either character's games, but I remember Sabreman alllllllll the way back in Banjo-Tooie. 8 yr old me thought he was pretty fascinating after helping him in Hailfire Peaks, and I remember Super Lucky's Tale standing out to me a few years back. He's one of the recent 3D Cartoony Platformers and I probably would have been all over that game if I was younger.

As the most recent installment I've linked it at the top of the OP. Thanks again for all your contributions.
Thanks! I haven't played Saberman's games either, but I did play New Super Lucky's Tales. On the the easy side, but I really enjoyed it!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say of all the remaining traditional fan picks like Isaac, Krystal, Waluigi, Paper Mario and Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong has the best chances out of them in my opinion. We know she was considered for Smash a while back and she's also not tied up in being an assist trophy. Only other previous characters that were considered we know of are Decidueye, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik and maaaayyyybbbeeee Plusle and Minun

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here it is. My revised Dixie Kong support essay, something I had written two years ago. I promised this months ago, and I finally finished it. Half of it is content from the essay written from two years ago. It is remarkable to think how much time has gone by. It was a bit emotional putting it together. This thread has been my primary Smash home increasingly over the DLC period.

I hope that this essay is utilized by future Dixie Kong fans when the next Smash title is announced:

Introduction:
The purpose of this essay is to give the future Dixie Kong fanbase, those that will be supporting Dixie Kong beyond Ultimate, a strong written case about why Dixie Kong is a very special character and considered to be a “Nintendo All-Star”, as well as advice in general going forward.

My hope is that this essay will not just articulate to Dixie Kong fans about why she is considered a legendary heroine, but also to help convince those whom are outside her fanbase that she is worth supporting and deserves to be a newcomer for the next Smash title.

I really want this work to be something that is utilized by the Dixie Kong fanbase whenever the next Smash title is announced considering I do not plan to be involved in the Smash speculation and character support community after Ultimate concludes.

On What Kind Of Fighter Dixie Kong Should Be Moveset Wise

I will not make much mention of moveset arguments for Dixie Kong, but I think there are plenty of others that can make the argument, and I feel after Piranha Plant, that "moveset potential" is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" style argument. There is a great amount diversity in regards to the ways to which Dixie Kong can be approached as a fighte: from a fully unique one to a semi-clone or even an echo fighter (though I think Ken-style is the only one that really fits). I feel for Dixie Kong that passion and belief about what type of fighter she should be is proportional to just how much passion and interest there is in her. If she was on par with the likes of Waluigi and Geno for requests among the Smash fanbase, she would be universally deemed to be only fitting to be a fully unique fighter.

However, with her fanbase and requests in the straits that they are in, she mostly is settled for as an echo fighter addition or semi-clone outside of her most passionate supporters. I do have confidence in Sakurai and his team to faithfully implement Dixie and her appeal regardless of what type of fightet they ultimately do choose for her (assuming she ever does happen as a fighter). Some of my favorite characters in the Smash Bros. series are semi-clones (like Roy), and I think Dark Samus was captured very well as to who she is despite nearly all of her differences being animation based, and I feel that much of her “personality” and appeal was captured well through them. However, this piece is not to argue about what kind of fighter Dixie should or will be, but rather what her merits are, and what she means to Smash Bros., Nintendo, and gaming as a whole.

Why Dixie Kong Is A Gaming All-Star:

With all that being said, let me explain just why Dixie Kong is not just Nintendo All-Star, but a gaming all-star as a whole.

Dixie Kong is truly something special. She did not ultimately make Ultimate's roster, but she is still one of Nintendo's best and most iconic heroines. Dixie Kong, is not just one of Nintendo's most iconic and legendary heroines, but among gaming as a whole. She became popular and well known even before Lara Croft and Jill Valentine, and moreover she was popular among boys for reasons beyond sex appeal ("WHOA SHE CAN FLY! LOOK AT HOW SHE CAN SHRED ON HER GUITAR!").

Dixie Kong was groundbreaking. As another Dixie fan noted, Samus might have been Nintendo's first prominent heroine, but Dixie was the first major one to wear her femininity on her sleeve. Back in the 90's, you could definitely be in the dark about what Samus's gender was, Dixie however, was definitely a girl, and a girly girl one at that. She liked the color pink, had long flowing hair, long eyelashes, colored toenails, and cried when she got hit. Everything about this character would make you think that she would not go over well with demographics outside of little girls. However, Dixie Kong was a rare breed of a character. She is among the few that has "Mario appeal". She is a character that manages to be popular and appealing across demographics despite her unorthodox design due to just how fun she is to play as and the charm of her character. Look at Mario, whose design is of a portly middle aged mustachioed man in overalls with a high-pitched voice, but is among the most loved and iconic character in all of gaming. Dixie Kong is Mario’s female equivalent.

Dixie is a character that embraces her femininity without having to rely on sex appeal or "waifuism", and for that she is not only just one of the best heroines in gaming but also among the most interesting. While she may cry when she got hit, or do a female tween-like pout about being thrown in a crib with Kiddy (DKC3's game over screen), she at the same time subverted tropes by managing to be one of the few Kongs (especially playable Kongs) that never got kidnapped by K. Rool, and moreover, she canonically insulted/sassed him to his face. She is not a support character like most other major prominent female Nintendo characters, but a co-protagonists in two of the Top 10 best selling SNES titles (DKC2 and DKC3). As another Dixie fan put it, she is "cute, cool, bad***".

Dixie is a character that goes beyond "girl Diddy". She has a lot of charm and personality. From sipping a drink in the middle of a journey, to lapping up honey while storming a Zinger stronghold, to taking DK's Switch for herself. Dixie is a character that knows how to smell the roses and enjoy the moment, which is why she does not hesitate to enjoy some honey in an environment full of giant bees, hijack DK's Switch from him, or mock K. Rool to his face. Dixie likes having fun just as much as we have fun playing as her. That is part of her endearment. In many ways, she might possibly be the pinnacle of the characters Rare created (and that truly says something), and it is a shame she basically went on a nearly 20 year stretch without any sort of prominent role.

Dixie Kong is not just a character that stands out among heroines, but all heroes. She is a character that managed to simultaneously embrace and subvert tropes, and somehow manage to become one of the most endearing characters within not just her franchise, but gaming as a whole.

While most of the Smash Bros. fambase continues to basically ignore her, they may simply not know the breadth to which Dixie Kong was a trailblazer and the subtle charm to her character. Dixie in many ways is the female Mario. Unlike most heroines, most of her appeal is not due to sex appeal/"waifu factor", but rather because of her gameplay mechanics and personality, much like Mario is not someone you would initially think of as cool or endearing without having a hands on experience with the character.

Dixie Kong is a character that is exemplary of the term Nintendo All-Star in many ways. She is a showcase for the Nintendo brand as a whole. A character, that like Nintendo, has their net cast wide across demographics despite what the industry conventions are to what "appealing" is.

Dixie Kong Is Far From “Inevitable”

I re-iterate that Ultimate's roster is absolutely fantastic, and I am extremely grateful to Sakurai and his team for everything that they did for Ultimate from finally adding Ridley to the roster (a childhood dream of mine that went on for nearly 20 years), to bringing back every single veteran (another dream I thought was unlikely to ever happen), to bringing in Castlevania (one of my favorite non-Nintendo franchises, and most speculators thought unlikely to happen), and recently bringing in Banjo-Kazooie (a character that is outright owned by a console competitor to Nintendo). Sakurai and his team have increasingly brok through each "impossible" bar, and left us in awe of just what we can expect or what we see as "plausible".

Dixie Kong as a character in many ways is someone who seems "on paper" to be the most obvious character that could be added to Smash Bros. She is a popular Nintendo character that is prominent within her franchise of origin. Of such a basal quality, Dixie has this one in spades. However, after over 20 years of history to the franchise, Dixie is still conspicuously absent from the roster. Moreover, as time goes on. her prospects of ever being added keep becoming lower and lower, especially as she makes more infrequent new game appearances. Smash now has gone on to become something than just about Nintendo characters. With Smash 4 and especially Ultimate, it is about celebrating gaming as a whole.

There are multiple points to which it appeared “likely” that Dixie Kong was going to make the roster to that particular title. For Brawl, Dixie Kong was at one point planned to be a part of the roster (as part of a tag team with Diddy Kong), and could have been re-tooled for a late development semi-clone (like Toon Link and Wolf were). For Smash 4 era speculation, Dixie Kong returning to prominence in Tropical Freeze made her seem likely especially given that her major role was unveiled at the same time as Smash 4 was. For Ultimate, when long time requests such as Ridley and K. Rool were added in, to many it seemed like Dixie Kong was an obvious addition for the base game.

Simply put, never believe the conventional opinion that Dixie Kong is “likely”. As a speculator for over 20 years, there have been many, many instances that I have seen where characters that appeared to be likely were not added in. Do not fall into the trap of believing that your character of choice is likely. Dixie Kong, like other Rare created characters Diddy Kong, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie, will most likely need a big fan push is she is to ever make it onto a future Smash title’s roster, and the false sense of security through believing she is “inevitable” makes much of her fans not as passionate towards support for her as they would be otherwise.

Never Believe “Leaks”

One of the biggest pratfalls for many character fanbases is the tendency to believe a “leak” if their character of choice is a part of it. As we getting further and further into the future, very believable fake leaks will be more and more common.

A notorious example of this was the “Grinch leak” where a banner was made of a whole bunch of characters that was both highly desired by the Smash Bubble as well as seen as likely in general. To many people, it seemed very likely to be “real” due to the quality of it and amount of effort necessary to fake it.

There have also been instances where people have had credible information in the past but later started making up fake information in order to increase support of their character of choice (a particular example of this was with loz getting multiple details over Ultimate’s unveil correct, but then making up a bunch of fake information in order for Skull Kid to have a massive increase in support).

Overall, a very important piece of advice for the Dixie Kong fanbase going forward is to naturally be very skeptical of any “leaks”, especially if they happen to mention Dixie Kong as being a part of the roster. I have seen fake “leaks” increasingly become more and more elaborate, and I expect that trend to continue for the next Smash title.

Please be extremely skeptical and do not give any of your mental or emotional energy towards trying to validate these “leaks”.

Dixie Kong May Not Be The Next Donkey Kong Character Added To The Roster

There is a belief common to not just the Dixie Kong fanbase, but speculators as a whole that Dixie Kong is most likely going to be the fourth Donkey Kong character that will be added to Smash Bros.’s roster. I feel that this very much a very outdated belief that ignored the credentials and strides other DK characters have made since the 1990’s, more specifically that of Cranky Kong and Funky Kong.

Both Funky and Cranky have had requests for them increase quite a bit over the past few years, and I expect that trend to accelerate over the course of this decade.

Cranky Kong has many things going in his favor. He was a major supporting character in every game to the DKC trilogy and DK64. He was also the only Kong aside from DK and Diddy to return for Donkey Kong Country Returns. He was also one of four playable characters in Tropical Freeze, having as much importance in that title as Dixie Kong did. He is also a favorite of Miyamoto, and perhaps has the notability to being probably the original DK from the arcade titles. Cranky Kong will (or seems to be) also be the only other Kong aside from Donkey Kong himself to have a role in the upcoming Super Mario movie.

Funky Kong has similar impressive credentials now. Like Cranky, he had a major supporting role in every game to the DKC trilogy and DK64. He was also a shopkeeper in both Tropical Freeze and Ultimate’s Adventure Mode, World of Light. In the Switch port for Tropical Freeze, the most significant new content for it was a dedicated “Funky Mode” to which allowed you to play as Funky Kong, and would essentially make the game a lot easier due to all the abilities he had.

Funky Kong has also been playable in multiple Mario spinoff titles, most notably Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart Tour. In Mario Kart Wii in particular, he has the notability of being the only other DK character in it as from DK and Diddy, as well as being one of the most popular characters for that title (likely due to being largely considered one of the best characters in that game).

Funky Kong also has the benefit of being a very easily implemented echo fighter. He has the same body shape as DK (a quality that helped him be added for the roster for Mario Kart Wii). Between an echo status for either Funky Kong or Dixie Kong, Funky Kong would most likely be the one chosen because unlike Dixie Kong, no new moves or abilities would be needed to be added in for him, Funky could quite feasibly be a Richter or Daisy style echo, to which the only differences are taunts, victory animations, and possibly idle/running animations.

Going forward, it appears that Cranky Kong has prominence and Funky Kong has ease of development. Dixie Kong’s primary advantage is her legacy, but as seen with Toad, that is simply not enough. Dixie Kong is going to have to return to the prominence she had with the DKC trilogy if she is going to make it in before Cranky and Funky.

I see Dixie, Cranky, and Funky all on an equal playing field if there was a hypothetical consideration given by Sakurai to make a Donkey Kong newcomer in the future. All three of these characters are equally prominent for the DK brand these days. Who the fourth Donkey Kong slot in Smash will be is very much an uncertainty unfortunately (or at least right now, those circumstances could easily change depending on what roles those characters have in the rumored new Donkey Kong title, assuming they appear at all).

What Dixie Kong Means To Me Personally

Dixie is a character in many ways that completes the circle. When I first learned of Smash Bros., I was very (pleasantly) surprised Samus was part of the roster when every other character on the roster had an upcoming game for the Nintendo 64 at the time except her. Samus beat and exceeded the odds of what most would have put on a roster of 12 Nintendo characters back in 1999. However, regardless of the Metroid series having gone into hiatus during those past five years, there was no denying it, Samus and Metroid were still a major part of Nintendo and their brand. Samus and Dixie Kong were both among my favorite gaming heroes during my childhood (and still are). It was Samus's unexpected presence on the Smash Bros. roster that I even got as overwhelmingly hyped for Smash Bros. even months before the game's international release.

Dixie Kong is a character that I believe in my heart does not just fit the descriptor of Nintendo All-Star, but also Gaming All-Star. She might not have launched a franchise, but she is a character that in many way encapsulates just what charm there is to a character in the medium of gaming. She is a character that manages to have a foot both in her criteria to fit what it took to enter Smash Bros. at the beginning of the series (importance to a Nintendo franchise) and what it means now (importance to gaming as a whole).

However, just like Samus before her, conventionally she does not seem likely at all. Dixie is not a character even Nintendo fans are clamoring for (or rather the Smash fanbase). Dixie might very well never be added to any Smash Bros. title’s roster.

However, even though she was never added to Ultimate’s roster, she is still an incredible heroine, and Ultimate's roster is still incredible.

I do not know what Sakurai and his team's interpretation of Dixie Kong as a fighter will be (assuming if it ever does happen), but regardless, I have hope that Sakurai will implement her in a way that captures just what is so endearing and charming about Dixie Kong.

Dixie paradoxically is a character that makes the most sense on paper as a Smash Bros. addition, yet is also unlikely to be added in the future even among actual Nintendo characters. It is poetic this unconventional circumstances matches her unconventional appeal.

Dixie Kong is a character that epitomizes what Smash Bros. is, then and now. She is important to both Nintendo and gaming.

Dixie is a character that I have been very fond of going back over 25 years ago. My Dixie Kong figurine was one of my favorite toys from my childhood and was consistently near my bedside as I went to sleep every night. Having a physical object to enjoy and play with was something that I wish had extended to Samus, my other favorite gaming hero from childhood. However, I was happy to have just Dixie Kong (and Yoshi) to play with and enjoy, Now 20 years later, I am grateful that Sakurai and his team have added in not just nearly all of my favorite Nintendo characters but also my favorite gaming characters in general. Dixie this time though is the one not part of the “toy box”.

For many of Dixie's fans and supporters, the love and support for her runs deep. BirthNote, had been courteous enough to chronicle many of these stories into the opening post of the Dixie support thread she had during Ultimate. Much like Roy (another character I deeply wanted to see, although to return), much of his appeal was not easily apparent to those who did not experience him, but rather from those who played with him hands-on and thus got appreciate his personality charm and gameplay flair. Dixie is much in the same way, to many people who never or barely played DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze, Dixie is just "girl Diddy" just like Roy was "fire Marth". However, I think the comparisons are even more unfair because Dixie's differences from Diddy are much readily apparent than Roy and Marth's were.

Thus, even if I were to craft the best prose ever written on the merits of Dixie Kong's value and worth to be a part of a future Smash title’s roster, it never ever would be enough to grow her fanbase and the passion for her possible inclusion. Words may touch, but actions MOVE. The best way to truly appreciate Dixie is to enjoy her source material. She is one of the two protagonists for both DKC2 and DKC3, with the former regarded as one of the best 2D platformers of all time (and the latter a very underrated game, and I personally believe to be among the best platformers for the SNES even if it is not quite as good as DKC2). In Tropical Freeze, she is arguably the most helpful of all the support Kongs and the game itself is argued to be the pinnacle of 2D platformers as well.

I said back in December 2019, that Dixie Kong was a treasure to the future. She is one of the last long running Nintendo character left that is both a main character to their franchise (as in actual main protagonist level) that is still not part of the roster to the Smash Bros. series. Going forward Dixie is a throwback to the possible newcomer pools that Smash Bros. fans who anticipated Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 had access to. The likes of Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, King Dedede, Olimar, Little Mac, Meta Knight, K. Rool, Ganondorf, Zelda, Bowser, Peach, and Bowser Jr. have all been added in now. Dixie Kong (and arguably the Toads and Bandana Waddle Dee) are all that is left from the ages of where characters had to fit "the old criteria" (namely being an integral character to a major Nintendo franchise). In an era where the most wanted characters are side Nintendo characters and third-parties, Dixie Kong is a throwback to the very beginning of this legendary game franchise for character requests. She is a character that Smash fans back in 2001 would agree deserves to be in Smash Bros., which is something that I think few other characters left at this point could say (again, aside from Toad), and would be surprised to find out, 20 years later, still did not make it in yet.

Dixie might not have much internet "cool kids" saying she is a great possible addition, or a massive online fanbase, but she is an absolutely legendary character, and I think even if I might not follow a future installment that does end up adding her in down the road, I think that it is something that Nintendo and Smash Bros. fans who were not around for Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4 newcomer support periods should have, an unequivocal Nintendo All-Star to support and champion. Sometimes the shiniest jewel goes unnoticed.

I have very limited free time, and I think at this point in time, it is a poor usage of my time to write up grandiose and passionate posts about a character whom I can do basically nothing in terms of moving the needle towards their possible inclusion. I have been a fan of Smash Bros. for over 20 years, a member of the online Smash Bros. community for 20 years, and part of SmashBoards for 15 years. I have gotten nearly everything I ever could have wanted or hoped for in relation to Smash Bros. Ridley being a part of the Smash roster was a childhood dream of mine that I thought was likely never going to be realized after Sakurai's own statements on him back in November 2014. Not just Ridley, but so many other things with Ultimate. I have won the lottery multiple times with this title, and yet I still am asking for more. As I said before, I have been spoiled rotten, and I think the best way I can show gratitude moving forward is through moving on.

The Dixie fanbase has a lot of fans with diverse talents. From SeashoreWar's talented artwork, to BirthNote's caretaking of the support topic (I am not sure if these two will be around for future Dixie Kong support though). While many do appreciate my character support prose and introspective and detailed analyses, I cannot keep doing this forever, nor do I want to. While Dixie Kong being in Smash Bros. is something reminiscent of the dreams I had throughout my childhood and young adulthood (Ridley in Smash Bros., and Roy's return in Smash), it is something I have to relinquish to the rest of you. I feel Ultimate is as beautiful a sendoff for a longtime fan of Smash Bros. such as myself could hope for, and gradually over the course of the DLC speculation period I found myself posting less and less with each subsequent year it went on. I feel with this essay, I can finally pass the baton to the next generation.

My Thanks To The Dixie Kong Fanbase On SmashBoards

Aside from being older and having less free time as well as Ultimate fulfilling most of my personal hopes with the series, another factor for my depreciated involvement with the Smash community is that almost all online spaces for discussion in general are very unpleasant in one way or form.

That is one of the reasons why I cherised the Dixie Kong Ultimate support thread so much. It actually seemed like a sort of oasis in the midst of an infinite desert.

However, despite myself being a constant conduit for pessimism, this thread still valued my thoughts, analyses, and insight. It has been my online home for speculation and discussion especially since Ultimate’s release. I am truly thankful for this appreciation.

I do cherish the time I have spent posting and speculating in this thread. I know its kind of a cliche, but even though we did not win in the end, the real victory was us having such a good time along the way. I really enjoyed my time sharing my thoughts and ideas with the people in this thread. Supporting this legendary heroine among you was a real privilege, and the community and atmosphere you cultivated was the primary reason I even continued posting after Ultimate's release.

Seeing so many old faces, and gaining an appreciation for a bunch of new ones, this thread was really something special. The journey came to an end, and it is a bit sad to part ways.

Like Sakurai has said, everything must come to an end at some point. This has been an incredible journey. Thank you to all of you for being a part of this. The Dixie Kong Support thread would not have been the same without any of you.

Even if Dixie Kong failed to ultimately make Ultimate’s roster, all of you should still remember the good all of you did here. You were fantastic supporters, and while Dixie Kong could maybe use a bigger fanbase, she certainly could not ask for a better one.

You did well and did all that you could.

Thank you again for all of your contributions that you have made over the past three years, and I am appreciative of those that do enjoy taking the time of reading my works.

It was your fantastic contributions to this thread and community as well as my little bit of hope for Dixie (and Ultimate being as amazing it turned out to be) as to why I ended up staying throughout this cycle (albeit with a much depreciated output compared to prior Smash speculation periods). You are a great community.

The passion and support in spite of Dixie's dismal prospects was what made me check on the Dixie’s Ultimate support thread every day, and give me a place where I felt I could share my ideas and analyses. Thank you to everyone that was a part of that thread.

Even if Dixie Kong is never a playable character in the Smash series, she is still one of Nintendo's most legendary heroines. She just happened to constantly get a bad roll of the dice (both within her own series, and within timing and particular circumstances for Smash Bros.). As BirthNote said, Dixie Kong is a great character with or without Smash Bros.

I am truly glad I got to experience this thread even if things did not end in the way we wanted. Sometimes the journey is just as a satisfying experience as the destination. While the destination was not where we wanted to end up, I can say we certainly had a great journey together.

You guys made my last few years in the Smash community pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you.

My hope to those that continue to support Dixie Kong in the future is continue to have the same positive and welcoming attitude that you had throughout the Ultimate epoch.

Have Humility

Dixie Kong is a historic and legendary Nintendo character. Few other characters not yet part of Smash’s roster have had multiple starring roles in their series. Dixie Kong is especially notable for her legacy going back over 25 years.

The moniker for Dixie Kong’s support thread for most of the Ultimate DLC speculation period was “The Last Nintendo All-Star”. It was alright given the context that most other Nintendo characters had been given notable consolation prizes (Assist Trophy and/or full Mii costume), with the possible exception of Bandanna Waddle Dee (who has nothing more than an Ace-class spirit and an online icon).

However, going forward I would advise for Dixie Kong fans not to refer to her as the “last Nintendo All-Star” or “last deserving Nintendo character”, as that would serve to make it seem like Dixie Kong fans are snobs and make others outside her fanbase less inclined to explore the character further and hopefully in time support her inclusion. A little humility goes a long way.

Be Prepared For An Undesirable Outcome

Dixie Kong has failed to make it in as a playable character yet in Smash Bros. despite at one point there probably have been actual work put into her for animating her as a fighter (back during Brawl’s development when the tag team idea was the original idea for Diddy Kong).

Until circumstances drastically change for her (such as Donkey Kong becoming a prominent franchise again AND Dixie Kong being a major character in the new titles that revitalized the DK brand), it is for the best to go in with the expectation that she will most likely not make the roster again. For many characters, their prospects are contingent on external circumstances (or massive fan support) and as of late 2021, her prospects are not looking good.

You should still try to support her with all your heart, but still keep in mind what her prospects will likely be, especially if Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart Tour are her most contemporary game appearances by the time the next Smash title is announced.

Please Consider If Investing Your Free Time In Character Support Is Actually Worth Your Time And Please Do Not Become Overly Invested In It

Even though Dixie Kong is a character that means a lot to me and probably the character I have put the third most effort towards supporting throughout my 20 years of involvement online with the Smash community (the only two I have put more support towards being Ridley and Roy), I do not feel like continuing such efforts going forward.

I have less and less free time than I did when I was younger, as well as the fact that my interest for roster speculation and character support has gradually declined as well to the point where I have little interest going forward. Ultimate gave me 95% of what I had been hoping for pertaining to Smash Bros. as a series.

The primary reason I wrote this essay was to give something for Dixie Kong fans in the future to utilize without myself being involved in the character support community. It is basically a gift to the future Dixie Kong support base. I am not sure whether this work will continue to be read years from now, but it is my hope that it is.

This all being said, please take my advice and do not overly invest your free time into character support. It is not a substitute for friends, it is not a substitute for a hobby. For those who are young, you are only young once. These are the best learning years of your life, and your time that you spend during your youth years has many implications as to what road you will be walking down as you get older.

I joined the speculation and character support community back in 2001 in order to help support Ridley get in Smash Bros., and one of the reasons I was intensely active after Brawl's release, was to help support Roy's return for Smash 4. I do not think my efforts did much for either of those characters honestly, and I think quite a bit of the time being used for character support and speculation could have been better spent elsewhere regardless of the fact that the outcome eventually became favorable.

Dixie Kong supporters should discern for themselves whether campaigning for Dixie going forward is something they want to do with their time. Do you really want to spend your free time for a venture that might ultimately be all for naught? Do you think the elation you might get from Dixie's confirmation (assuming it does happen in the next installment), will be worth whatever time and effort you put into supporting her? Would you still be excited for Dixie if came as part of a roster that removed quite a few characters you personally care about (assuming the next title has cuts)? These are questions for supporters of all characters should be asking themselves, not just Dixie Kong fans.

Overall, I am thankful for my time spent with the Smash roster speculation and character support communities. I was extremely blessed to meet some wonderful people that I plan to still talk to even after I exit Smash speculation and character support. I would say meeting these people, not my dream Smash title coming into reality, was the true destination and reward for this 20 year journey.

I hope other Dixie Kong fans meet hopefully lifelong friends while they support Dixie Kong in the years to come.

It is likely going to be a long and arduous journey Dixie fans. How long that journey ultimately is, or whether it even leads to the destination you are all hoping for (Dixie being a part of a future Smash roster), only time will tell. I wish you all the best regardless of whether you decide to support Dixie in the years ahead, or even if you decide to give up on character support and speculation entirely.

I hope some day if Dixie Kong ever is added to Smash Bros. (and if SmashBoards is still around), that I will be able to congratulate the Dixie Kong fans on her finally making it in and their efforts in supporting her.

Conclusion:

To sum it all up, Dixie Kong is a legendary heroine. She is a character that is only under Samus as far as Nintendo heroines go in terms of legacy and prominence to their own franchise and Nintendo as a whole. She is an exemplary heroine for gaming a whole, a rare heroine whom most of their appeal and charm goes beyond sex appeal or the "waifu factor", and one that also embraces and utilizes her femininity to further enhance her character appeal and endearment. She is a character that has "Mario appeal", able to be appreciated by a diverse array of demographics despite her unconventional design through her personality charm and the fun of her gameplay abilities. This particular resume arguably sets her in a league of her own not just as far as Nintendo characters go, but gaming ones as a whole as well.

Whether Dixie is ever eventually added to a future Smash title’s roster or not, Dixie Kong is a Nintendo All-Star. She may be underappreciated, and many not actually know or understand just why she is such an endearing character and worthy addition, but in our hearts she is both a truly special character and the ultimate heroine, regardless of her not making the roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate/Special.

It is surreal to think Ultimate will really be having its final newcomer unveiled next week. The final character, stage, and Mii costumes will be known to us. We might get a few more DLC spirit events after it (such as for Metroid Dread) but the last new significant content for Ultimate will be known to use in little over a week.

I still have some more to say, and I want to post a sort of farewell essay not just for the people of this thread, but to the Smash speculation and character support community as a whole. I have been a part of it for over 20 years, and a part of this site for over 15 years. I have some poignant things to say in it, and I hope that there is some interest in hearing out what I have to say.

This was a really special thread. We may not have won in the end, but in the internet of today, having such an enjoyable atmosphere is remarkably rare and an achievement in it of itself. As I said, this thread was the primary driving point for why I even stayed involved in the community past the base game period. Thank you.

Chrono this is gonna sound like a stupid question.....

..............but what do you think of Nickelodeon All Star Brawl?
You asked this in my Pass 2 Speculative Analysis topic, but I will answer it here. I apologize for making you wait so long. I have been very busy. As to my thoughts on NASB, I think it will be a good game, and probably the best Smash clone that utilizes established IPs. That being said I have little interest in it. I did watch Nickelodeon as a child, and I have a familiarity with most of the characters on the roster and the series they are from though.

I think it will scratch the itch for those who wanted Smash to continue down what Melee had, and I think it will sell well too.

Back to the topic at hand, I am interested to see how Ultimate concludes even though there likely will not be any further personal desires on mine fulfilled with this finale. I especially want to share my last essay with this community. I will try to get it out in time for when the final presentation is done airing. Thank you again to everyone in this thread. Your words and efforts do mean a lot.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It truly is the end of an era, Chrono. It's good to know that you realize that the community and your interactions with it were as rewarding as the reveals of Smash themselves, if not more.

When i came to this website, over 8 years ago, i did it because i wanted to talk to people about how excited i was for this new game just named "Smash 4". Funny, when i was young lad i came to sites like these to inreact with people as a kid with social issues made it a little hard in real life, Talking about Smash felt like a sort of escapism to me, and the internet was in general just that, Escapism.

Yet nowadays, with how the Internet feels full of well.........................particular people, sometimes the best thing i can do is just turn off the computer and go outside and forget it all, now that i am an adult that can go outside on my own. A far cry of how things used to be.

It's surreal to think how much time has pased. When i lurked on this site, the place was full of Brawl veterans, of the days of early 2000's internet (like, 2002) and even some 90's kids. Now i am probably one of the few Smash 4 era speculators, whose introduction to the internet was in its transition from niche wild west into the new norm of media consumption and interaction, an seeing how some people didn't knew how he infamous "ESRB Leak" went. That event for me was like the greatest gaming leak i ever witnessed, and something that i probably never witness again.

No matter how underwhelming the finale may be, it has been an honor to interact with so many people, and you Chrono will be remembered by us as one of the most passionate Smash fans, in the best way possible.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
In an ideal world, this will mark the first time that Lanky gets turned into a marketable plushie.

Apart from that obvious answer from yours truly, I think Nerf-style peanut & gumball popguns would be the coolest thing, as well as Kremling pirate hats, Klaptrap clip-ons & keychain plushies (like the small ones you put on backpacks) of the animal buddies.
That is, assuming the Rare era gets any kind of due diligence, which I really hope it does...

...Also, fruit-flavored toothpaste.
Do theme parks even sell toothpaste?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You guys think about merchandise, I'm so far thinking of creative and healthy ways to turn bananas into snacks.

Merchandise is a given no matter what. At the very minimum, red ties saying DK, and red baseball caps saying Nintendo are a given. Plushies are always cool yeah. It's Japan, they'll have plenty.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
FYI, Dixie Kong is available in the Mario Kart Tour Tier Shop for the first time. In case you don't know, that means you can purchase her with coins, which are the in-game currency. You don't have to spend any real money. She will be there in the Tier Shop for 1 week only.

Well I finally have her in Tour after all this time. Thank god I saved up enough coins last week.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There's only 5 days left before we can put Ultimate's speculation to rest. My attitude is along the lines of "Good, let's get this over with." It's been long enough as far as I care; the 3 I'm most excited for would be Crash, Rayman and Dixie Kong. I'm not particularly hopeful about any of them though; they got star power, it's just that I can't reliably predict any of these reveals so my guess is as good as anyone's.

Since we're wrapping up the hype cycle, I'll post an essay of my own in the very near future. In the meantime though, I have another moveset idea:

We're in the 5th Limb category once again, aka instances where Dixie uses her hair like an extra arm or a leg. And today's demonstration is:

Dixie does a handstand and swiftly slams her hair into the ground. The force of said move packs a wallop and can kill at high enough percentages.

Another simple move; I drew something like this a long time ago as a Down Tilt, but this can be a Forward Tilt, Forward Smash or Down Tilt. One of the inspirations behind this is Sheik's Up Taunt. It's actually the same pose, but for Dixie it's been weaponized. Feel free to put this on twitter in whatever words you like! I...may have more to show before October 5th, but I can't make promises lol.

Dixie has a wide variety of options for a potential moveset, whether it involves her hair, bubblegum, music, animal buddies and the like. My google doc is one of many ideas that scratch the surface.
ANYONE can make a moveset for Dixie or any Smash Bros fighter; in fact, there's a dozen movesets in the OP that's very much worth checkinng out. To anyone who hasn't before, feel free to see the wide range of ideas behind each user's set. Dixie is far more than a Diddy clone and the movesets shown go a long way in proving it.

If Dixie ends up being the final character, do you guys think the reaction from general audiences would be positive? I feel like more people would be cool with it then some might anticipate.
She's a "Sure, why not" but doesn't get much attention. There'll be many going "It makes sense I guess" but whoever didn't get their most wanted will be bummed out at the bare minimum. It all comes down to the trailer though. A hype reveal will always win people over.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Looks great BirthNote BirthNote ! Another dynamic attack for Dixie.

And you beat me to posting...

THE LAST TWO CHARACTERS FOR DONKEY KONG RACING!

From the DKC inspired platformer Kaze and the Wild Masks, Kaze!
It's the need-to-speed from now on, Rash from Battletoads!

The roster select screen:

Can't believe it's done. Sure took awhile lol.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I'm torn on the theme park. On the one hand, anything new DK is good. On the other hand, this is going to immortalize the Retro-era DK art style. I can't imagine that Nintendo will let new developers deviate much from this art style if it's going to be the look of the theme park, so now we will see new companies trying to mimic it. It makes me less hopeful that the Kremlings will return, and if they do they will surely be redesigned (and I think the PAON redesigns of Klump and Kopter for Barrel Blast are far inferior). I guess I shouldn't complain if the theme park means DK will get more games than it has been. Some games with an art style I don't prefer is better than no games.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Great job on the new move, BirthNote BirthNote ! Sometimes Dixie's hair works like a propeller, a whip, an extra limb...and now sort of like a big hammer. She really isn't a Diddy clone. She's a DEDEDE clone. The haters have been mispronouncing it this entire time.

Let me post it on Monday if that's alright with you.

And nice job SeashoreWar SeashoreWar ! You did a great job on those 2, even though you really let down the Pink Gold Lemmington community. And I don't know how you can show your face around the Generic Planet Plantean resident fan community anymore.

So much moustache-based speculation down the drain...

It's interesting how well Kaze fits in with the rest with your changes. And of course, Rash, looks nice too. Put him next to one of those muscled up Kremlings and you can't tell who's who. I appreciate you working on that project for so long and sharing it with all of us. Let me post it tomorrow if you're OK with that.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Dixie is a character in many ways that completes the circle. When I first learned of Smash Bros., I was very (pleasantly) surprised Samus was part of the roster when every other character on the roster had an upcoming game for the Nintendo 64 at the time except her. Samus beat and exceeded the odds of what most would have put on a roster of 12 Nintendo characters back in 1999. However, regardless of the Metroid series having gone into hiatus during those past five years, there was no denying it, Samus and Metroid were still a major part of Nintendo and their brand. Samus and Dixie Kong were both among my favorite gaming heroes during my childhood (and still are). It was Samus's unexpected presence on the Smash Bros. roster that I even got as overwhelmingly hyped for Smash Bros. even months before the game's international release.
This actually raises an interesting perception of things back then. Considering her last game was in 1994 and there was no Metroid game for the N64, the fact that she even made it in 64 with its 12-character roster can be attributed to the legacy of Super Metroid and her status as a classic Nintendo character. If people would have speculated the most likely 12-character roster for a hypothetical Nintendo crossover back in say, 1997, I'm pretty sure most would have thought Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wario or Diddy would have been more likely to be playable in said game than Samus. This situation also somewhat reminds me of K. Rool's long absence before making his return in a Smash game.

Dixie, like Toad and Bandana Dee, definitely feel like one of the most notable absences as far as Nintendo characters go. As far as third-party characters go, Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman are good example of classic NES-era characters in a similar vein to Simon Belmont.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Looks great BirthNote BirthNote ! Another dynamic attack for Dixie.

And you beat me to posting...

THE LAST TWO CHARACTERS FOR DONKEY KONG RACING!

From the DKC inspired platformer Kaze and the Wild Masks, Kaze!
It's the need-to-speed from now on, Rash from Battletoads!

The roster select screen:

Can't believe it's done. Sure took awhile lol.

Seashore... YOU DID IT!!!! IT'S FINISHED! THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this project; you've been a huge part of this thread's hype cycle and I'm glad you helped to keep the Barrel alive. Job well done, seriously. Thank you very much; I gave you a shoutout in the thread title and linked to this entry at the top of the OP. Whatever art project you take on from here, I wish you the best of luck; not many people finish the projects they start, so this is an accomplishment in more ways than one. Can't say it enough, but thank you.

Also, looks like Killer Instinct wasn't enough for Rash. He'll be breaking out (get it?) to a lot of crossovers. It's the perfect excuse to share this:
Great job on the new move, BirthNote BirthNote ! Sometimes Dixie's hair works like a propeller, a whip, an extra limb...and now sort of like a big hammer. She really isn't a Diddy clone. She's a DEDEDE clone. The haters have been mispronouncing it this entire time.
You're right...how could I have missed it?! After all this time, can I even call myself a fan?? The horror! LMAO

Thanks though; hopefully these moves are giving detractors and skeptics a way to change their minds. A lot of it comes down to enthusiasm and creativity, which can fuel all kinds of movesets for any characters. Nobody thought Olimar could be viable before he was revealed, and nobody thought ROB would be playable nor did they see a moveset for him.
Here it is. My revised Dixie Kong support essay, something I had written two years ago. I promised this months ago, and I finally finished it. Half of it is content from the essay written from two years ago. It is remarkable to think how much time has gone by. It was a bit emotional putting it together. This thread has been my primary Smash home increasingly over the DLC period.

I hope that this essay is utilized by future Dixie Kong fans when the next Smash title is announced:
Thank you ChronoBound, I've added your essay to the OP and not-so-subtly bolded and altered the size of your hopes for it. It's an excellent roadmap for future supporters; I will say that with the Stay Humble section, I want to point some things out. The Last Nintendo All-Star moniker had some uses; it goaded people who otherwise wouldn't check out the thread to come in and browse...as well as voice their disapproval and point to Toad. I assure you all the discussions that happened as a result were productive and in good faith, but its main function is that it brought this thread traffic occasionally. I always would congratulate the fandoms of a character whenever they got announced, either in the thread title or on their support threads. Basically, The Last Nintendo All-Star was effective as clickbait and I made sure we as a fandom were cordial to other fanbases. I'm not saying you thought we were arrogant, I just wanted to point out that I made sure that we came off as positive people. This is a good example:
May I just say I appreciate the grace Dixie Kong fans have shown 1st party reveals? You guys had the Min Min's fans backs and now again with Pyra/Mythra. You guys rock :)
Hopefully zumaddy doesn't mind haha.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

DKC3 is 25 next month on November 18th! Good time to share anything DKC3 you make or have made in the past.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Seashore... YOU DID IT!!!! IT'S FINISHED! THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this project; you've been a huge part of this thread's hype cycle and I'm glad you helped to keep the Barrel alive. Job well done, seriously. Thank you very much; I gave you a shoutout in the thread title and linked to this entry at the top of the OP. Whatever art project you take on from here, I wish you the best of luck; not many people finish the projects they start, so this is an accomplishment in more ways than one. Can't say it enough, but thank you.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it! Coming to this thread and seeing your work really motivated me to start doing stuff so thank you for posting your work!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, it's pretty much over isn't it. Had some great times here with you all, this thread has seen amazing tides and the ride to support Dixie this time around was a wild one. Yet, equally disappointing. Many times we had hope, especially around the time Isabella was revealed, and K.Rool of course. I still am optimistic that Dixie will continue to be a main character in coming DK games. My problem since the start of this thread remains... There's just nothing.

I hope for a good reunion next time we get to speculate. I'll be around, probably.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While it might make more sense to give essentially my last major thoughts after tomorrow's Direct, part of me felt it would fit better now, largely because the thrust of what I have to say is not really dependent on if we get Dixie in 18 hours or not.

I joined Smashboards almost two years ago. I was a heavy lurker, especially in the general initial DLC hype cycle that had started a year prior. General discussion and speculation lured me, and I'd say the Newcomer thread as well as the initial (now locked) Geno thead have provided a lot of fun and interesting talk, even with how heated or disagreeable things have gotten at times. Those have been good to partake in as far as the grand scheme. But I think I've enjoyed myself most here.

As a DK fan, it's hard to find a good, dedicated space to talk about a series that is so near and dear to my heart. The DK Reddit board is a bit of a ghost town at times, and even DK Vine has its own ups and downs (and a pain to register at to boot). This place has been an oasis in an internet desert that often doesn't feel terribly interested in how much real depth and charm the Donkey Kong games have. Posting in the Dixie thread in a lot of ways has become an outlet for a lot of long time feelings I've had about her status as a character, the DKC games, and Nintendo in general, and for that I will always be grateful.

But it's not just the chance to express my thoughts that's made me glad to be here, It's been a joy to hear and witness the output all of you have added. I've seen movesets with more creativity than I could have imagined, art that perfectly captures the charm of the Rare & Retro designs, & even a hypothetical Diddy Kong Racing roster that makes me terribly annoyed that such a game isn't being worked on now. The highest compliment I can give is that it's a level of dedication and passion that a franchise (and cast of characters) like this truly deserves.

I don't know what's coming tomorrow. In all likelihood it's not Dixie, and we're probably in for a very extended wait before her being in Smash is a viable topic of discussion again. But if nothing else, even if the board and this thread drops off in terms of posters or interest once this long ride is finally over and done with?

Thank you all for allowing a mega fan of these silly ape games to have found such a welcoming place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom