• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ditto added in SSBB

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Soanevalck said:
...as i have said, if he doesnt have his own moveset that he can use when he's not transformed, then he's a pointless char, and if he is like that, he would most likely make kirby unplayable
It's always at the start of each time you get put in play.

Aeris said:
No, no, I understand it full well. The comparison to Charade was something that I caught on to. But I just don't like the idea. There are much better characters to include, and better Pokémon at that. Nothing against him or his ideas, I just say no.
The point is, they only need to code the part where they would randomly select a new character each time you get knocked out.

I seriously support this character. I would imagine it this way.

When you start the game, and probably unlock Ditto, he's somewhere on a place where you can easily find him. When you select him, however, you won't see him as the character Ditto, but as a Ditto transformed into a pink question mark.

Then, when the match begins, you'll notice there is no Ditto, only a random character. It will have the same movesets, including special, as the original counterpart, but it isn't permanent. The moment you get KO'd, you'll get another random character.

To make it more appealing to use him, his sounds and skin are the same as the original character, with the skin being randomised if already used.

If you were to unlock him, you would see the "new challenger" screen, which actually has the same silhouette as your character. You'll then have to battle yourself in order to unlock Ditto.

Ditto is not a strange character, if implemented the right way. You won't have to sacrifice one character to put him in, he's easily coded into the game.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Shadow isn't even going to be in Brawl, you're being silly Ninja232.

No more pokemon, especially not ******** ones, which is all the pokemon except Pikachu, Jiggs, and Meowth because they are the most recognizable.
To hell with recognition. I want cool, no great Pokemon, visualy stimulating, and fun to play with. I dont wanna play as no **** Meowth.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
If I want a random changeing character like charade I would rather have Nester (there's a thread somewhere). Don't get me wrong Ditto was my favorite normal type pokemon, and maybe he could be the new clefairy and togepi.

But the main problem would be what if he's fighting Kirby and Kirby sucks him up?

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Link'sShadow said:
If I want a random changeing character like charade I would rather have Nester (there's a thread somewhere). Don't get me wrong Ditto was my favorite normal type pokemon, and maybe he could be the new clefairy and togepi.

But the main problem would be what if he's fighting Kirby and Kirby sucks him up?

I guess Kirby would get the power of the character Ditto was impersonating. Maybe Kirby could even have Ditto's face once he took the power. Really, a Ditto could be an advantage for Kirby, because he could get powers of characters that aren't even on the level.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
I got him with AR and all he did was go momma! I don't think he exists and the players guide had an accident because they took him out with out changing the guide. I have the guide too btw.

quartekoen

Smash Rookie
I really like this idea. There are a lot of people out there that start playing with one character, and refuse to play as anyone else, because they don't want to start getting good with a new person. How about if they chose Ditto from the beginning. Wow, what a way to become good with everyone. This is a great idea.

Drewz

Smash Cadet
Well its a unique idea, but I'm not to fond of it. Kirby clones characters anyway, do we really need another character with similiar characteristics?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Drewz said:
Well its a unique idea, but I'm not to fond of it. Kirby clones characters anyway, do we really need another character with similiar characteristics?
Yes, but he clones only characters already on the field. With Ditto, we would get a random character everytime he gets (back) on stage. Also, his moves aren't just limited to the B-button.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
A type of character that changes fighting styles of each of the other characters should be included, not necessarily a Ditto though. I doubt too many people would use it in tournament play, but who knows. It would be interesting to see how it would work out if included...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I believe Ditto was technically playable during tournaments.

When you get to the "Press Start" screen before a fight, press X and Y toi change charctrs (Or myabe that's the colors. Anyway, some button changes charcters). Keep on changing and you'll see a pic of Ditto and it says "Random".

You'll be a random charcter and random color.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
For those of you hatin on the playable ditto, either say, "wow swift, your idea on page 4 is AMAZING!" or say, "hmm, maybe they should make it a wire frame character instead. It could change after each stock and resemble the character to the extent that they had in ssb64" wow, that's a good idea. wish i thought of that.......

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Actually, somehow with action replay cheats you can get ditto to come out of the poke ball.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
To be able to change fighting styles after a loss of a stock sounds like a unique and overall good idea. It wouldn't matter if it was ditto or a wire frame it's still a good concept.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Drik Khaail said:
Actually, somehow with action replay cheats you can get ditto to come out of the poke ball.
Yeah, It's not that great. All he does is pop out, make a weird noise, then disappear. He doesnt do anything.

Zeeb

Smash Cadet
To be able to change fighting styles after a loss of a stock sounds like a unique and overall good idea. It wouldn't matter if it was ditto or a wire frame it's still a good concept.
The only problem with this idea (correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not a huge pokemon buff), is that I think Ditto can only copy things directly infront of him, so the ability to change characters after each stock wouldn't work with the original character design from the 1st generation pokemon.

Therefore I think ditto wouldn't really play out as a SSBB character he would only be able to clone those characters playing at the time which would make 1v1 battles a bit of a bore.

Edit: I guess this refers more to the post at the top of this page rather than BIRDMAN22's... my b.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
The only problem with this idea (correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not a huge pokemon buff), is that I think Ditto can only copy things directly infront of him, so the ability to change characters after each stock wouldn't work with the original character design from the 1st generation pokemon.

Therefore I think ditto wouldn't really play out as a SSBB character he would only be able to clone those characters playing at the time which would make 1v1 battles a bit of a bore.

Edit: I guess this refers more to the post at the top of this page rather than BIRDMAN22's... my b.
That doesn't matter. Have you heard of Captain Falcon having fire moves before SSB? Or what about Fox and Falco with their shines? Have you heard of them in any of their games? I'm sure they can look over this one minor detail.

The BEST way they can put him in is if he just changed to a random person in the cast each time he dies. No button combonations, no weird taunts, just random. That fixes the broken-ness of switching whenever you want. That fixes "bore's" because it'd be a random character. To people thatr say we already have Kirby, Ditto would copy EVERYTHING, weight, ALL attacks. It's just supposed to help stop counter-picking all the time, since you don't know who you are until the match starts. And he's not a REAL character addition, per se. He's just there to use. The most he'd take up is a character block. "omg i dun wan 2 c no mor pokehmonz" is just an opinion, leave it out of an argument. And so what if he was already in Melee? Being in a pokeball doesn't really count since you can only see him with AR. And in tournament mode, he does exactly what we want him to do in this game, be a random character that we won't know who it is until the match starts.

*sigh* there, I think I covered most of the popular arguments.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I think a random char selector would be definitly interesting, would be interesting to change chars whenever you died or a new stage begain, I'm all for it. (would be easy to program as well)

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
bahahahaha! bump

anyway, i was thinking, ditto would be a pretty good idea for a fully fledged character. it would also be a treat for the people that always use the same character as their opponent, so they can't switch character and not get a ditto match. basicly, i see ditto working in this system

whenever ditto restocks, it would transform into the character that KO'ed it, a random player's character (if it self destructs and when it starts the match) or if there are no available characters to transform into (because everyone is using ditto, all non-ditto characters are KO'ed or other various reasons), it would transform into the last form it was using or if it never transformed, a random playable pokemon's form.
Ditto would visually by transforming during the moment when it restocks (when characters appear from trophy's when they restock in melee) and when it is transformed, it would be exactly like its form except its colours would be ditto colours (completely pink or an alt colour), it would have ditto's smile if possible and its brawl move would be different. ditto's brawl move would involve transforming into a legendary pokemon.

what do you think? ditto sure wouldn't be a waste of space and it would be a character that everyone would be happy with.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
ditto's brawl move would involve transforming into a legendary pokemon.
But most legendary pokemon have a good chance of being in pokeballs. Maybe it would transform into something like the Master Hand or something like that in its Super Smash. I still like the Ditto idea nonetheless.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
yeah, most legendary's will be in pokeballs. that makes it an even better reason to be ditto's brawl move. it could transform into a legendary pokemon and do its pokeball move, perhaps with additional control to.

i don't know why people think ditto would just be a randopm select. ditto means a copy. it would copy its opponent. not turn into a random character against its opponent.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
yeah, most legendary's will be in pokeballs. that makes it an even better reason to be ditto's brawl move. it could transform into a legendary pokemon and do its pokeball move, perhaps with additional control to.

i don't know why people think ditto would just be a randopm select. ditto means a copy. it would copy its opponent. not turn into a random character against its opponent.
If Ditto transformed into random legendary Pokemo, there would be nothing unique about the move. Now I'm confused, should Super Smashes be stronger than legendaries?

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
wow, im suprised alot of people would rather a random button, whats the use of that? i mean its just to randomly pick a character because you (obviously) dont care about who you pick, but ditto is much much more complex than that! can you not understand! Ditto For Brawl all the dude :)

Coin you up

Smash Apprentice
The only way ditto would work would be like this.

He would be the random sellector instead of having a bunch characters flash on the screen it would be ditto for random him you pick ditto and he transforms at the beging of the match of the opposing character if its multiple its random the only thing about being a ditto fied person of some one is you get more of a lighter color of their orginal costume 2 you jump higher attack faster but get knocked out the ring faster that would be the only way he would work or you summon him from a poke ball and he transforms into you and you get som ice climber action going on.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
tf? seriosuly, why does everyone think of a crappy random selector? is ditto known for turning into completely random characters against their opponents? they copy their opponents form. thats their signature ability. they are auctually incapable of transforming into random forms at will because of their non existant memory. like i said before:
whenever ditto restocks, it would transform into the character that KO'ed it, a random player's character (if it self destructed and when it starts the match) or if there are no available characters to transform into (because everyone is using a non-copyable character, all copyable characters are KO'ed etc.), it would transform into the last form it was using or if it never transformed, a random playable pokemon's form.
Ditto would visually be transforming during the moment when it restocks (when characters appear from trophy's when they restock in melee) and when it is transformed, it would be exactly like its target except its colours would be ditto colours (completely pink or an alt colour), it would have ditto's smile if possible and its brawl move would be different, involving ditto to transform into a legendary pokemon.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I don't see why not. Hell, what do you call it when Link fights against Link? Most of the smash community calls it a "Link ditto."

Plus he was coded to be in Melee, and is viewable using AR, so... why the eff not?

He's also purple and psuedopodial, which is BAD ***.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
I really like this idea. It doesn't even have to be Ditto, I just like the idea. And the final smash could be MASTER HAND AND CRAZY HAND!

I have a friend who's slightly better than me when we main, but I usually win in secondaries, since I'm comfortable with most of the characters. So Ditto'd be great for me.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I think it would be interesting.. But the random feature works just as well if I'm thinking the way you are.

Kind of like a character that just takes the mold of whatever character at the beginning of the match.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
ditto should ust be the random select icon and iff you pick it it says ditto wins at the end instead of whatever character you got.

Top Bottom