• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disjointed by the "Random" option

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The only characters who don't come out of random are Zero Suit Samus and Sheik (though you get Samus and Zelda and can switch). It's seriously random otherwise (notice how no one here seems to observe the same patterns?). The number of trials to prove reasonably that the odds are uniform (or close enough to uniform) is a bit daunting so I'm not going to do trials, but it seems obvious that it is actually random.

Harkness

Smash Apprentice
I think i've noticed a theme as well. When my sister and I play "Super Random battles" (Random stage+Random character) the most commonly seen characters are the ones wer commonly play as. (Ex: Lucus, one of my mains, came up very often, while Wario, who hardly anyone in my family plays as, NEVER came up, even as an opponent, until recently (as an opponent)) Coincidence, I think not!!

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I once played a random battle against a friend and we both got the same color and character. 2 White lucarios and there was no tint difference like in team mode...
The exact same color? I did not think that possible.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I think i've noticed a theme as well. When my sister and I play "Super Random battles" (Random stage+Random character) the most commonly seen characters are the ones wer commonly play as. (Ex: Lucus, one of my mains, came up very often, while Wario, who hardly anyone in my family plays as, NEVER came up, even as an opponent, until recently (as an opponent)) Coincidence, I think not!!
This was actually one of my other theories. I do get Falco quite a few times, but I am not sure if he is most used or not. On the other hand, I do not get DK, who I think is on the bottom. Perhaps this is it.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
ZOMG I NEVR GET ZAMUS ON RANDOM MUST BE A PATTERN!!1

I believe it is random; the patterns are all in your head. As soon as you start actively looking for themes, you will find them. How do you even quantify a "theme"? If you think long enough you can establish some kind of connection between nearly any two characters.

Roihu

Smash Ace
ZOMG I NEVR GET ZAMUS ON RANDOM MUST BE A PATTERN!!1

I believe it is random; the patterns are all in your head. As soon as you start actively looking for themes, you will find them. How do you even quantify a "theme"? If you think long enough you can establish some kind of connection between nearly any two characters.
Then how come I've never once gotten Random in Random of all the times I tried?...
I meant to say Pikachu...

wazgood

Smash Ace
please excuse my asian-ness but....
if you are manually picking captain falcon, then the chance of another captain falcon showing up is 1 in 36.
if both players are random and end up as the same character, then that is 1 in 36^2.

also,nybb knows what he's talking about. and part of being random includes having things that may seem to follow a "theme"

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I once played a random battle against a friend and we both got the same color and character. 2 White lucarios and there was no tint difference like in team mode...
The exact same color? I did not think that possible.
I've had this happen with Metaknight and Kirby and another character which I can't remember.

One time I picked Random and got dark blue Marth twice in a row. The third time it was red Marth. D=

Other than that I haven't had any other random weirdness.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is sitting is his lab right now, with screens hooked up to every smash bros game currently being played. He sets up characters as he chooses and makes it so that you get odd combinations often, such as thee yoshis and a bowser.

Also, he hits the trip button whenever he feels like being a ****
LMFAO

10lols

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
please excuse my asian-ness but....
if you are manually picking captain falcon, then the chance of another captain falcon showing up is 1 in 36.
if both players are random and end up as the same character, then that is 1 in 36^2.

also,nybb knows what he's talking about. and part of being random includes having things that may seem to follow a "theme"
That sounds correct. But the occurrence was random; I play as Blood Falcon costume against the pink Captain Falcon.

That is also a valid point that when searching for themes, a connection can be made, but I truly think that this reaches beyond that.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I remember at a point I got the White/Green/Black Fox 10 times in a row, and my brother usually gets the Red Peach

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
this is like the 15th thread on this (although since theres no place official for it, I guess its ok.) But its happens, idk if it does to everyone, but it does happen and no one can deny it at this point. imho, I think they just didn't play test it enough to realize this happening, and that the game is most likely loading the first thing it can, which would be whatever it just loaded, or due to the random theme, it'd pick something else from that same type of game (ex; zelda series, so link, ganon, zelda, or TL.)

In this case, since CF doesn't have anything else in his series, you'd get the ditto match.

Of course, this wouldn't happen everytime, and there's probly no way to prove it. But I think my reaosning makes enough sense.

Top Bottom