• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disgustingly good luigi tech? Get kills even easier!

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, for the last few weeks I've been testing out what sort of things I can do with luigu's jab cancel and found possible the most broken true string that kills as early as 70%. As you all probably know you can cancel luigis second jab into a grab or a few of his tilts, this is a great toll but did you know that you can cancel it into B moves without waiting for the jab frames to end? ABusing this knowledge I've descovered that you can jab cancel into sweet spot up B fairly easily. This is a true string but requires very proper spacing or you'll only get the 1% hit.

To pull off this amazing combo you use the first 2 jabs as a hit confirm. While your jabbing not their position within the jab to determine if you can sweet spot your up B. Each character has different animations when they get hit that either have them buckle forward or backwards so how close inside the jab they need to be changes with each character. Once you've confirmed you can sweet spot it simply cancel the first few frames of the second jab it and up B. If done correctly it's a true string that kills characters at very very low percents! Mastering this technique is a necessity for any luigi player of they want to play at the highest possible level. When this tech reaches the higher up players I could see it making luigi have a massive skyrocket on the tier list and have him be a feared character at any level of play.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Doc.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sounds great in theory, as long as it is seen applied in tournament play then there's merit in it. Like for example, the "chaingrab" for Luigi has never been seen outside of cpus/training, so I don't think much of it. Can you provide any videos of this at all? It sounds difficult [like all of Luigi's techs] but rewarding. I look forward to more progress for this. Nice find if it works.

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Sounds great in theory, as long as it is seen applied in tournament play then there's merit in it. Like for example, the "chaingrab" for Luigi has never been seen outside of cpus/training, so I don't think much of it. Can you provide any videos of this at all? It sounds difficult [like all of Luigi's techs] but rewarding. I look forward to more progress for this. Nice find if it works.
Got a capture card coming soon, I'll post videos adapt about it. As far as tournament use I've become known in my area for that being my signature kill. I haven't discussed it with anyone other than luigi players yet and there's only one othe in my area

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sounds awesome! I'm pretty terrible with jab cancels so I'm curious to see this in action.

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
It's different from other cancels, for grab cancel you need to run forward and attack cancels you need to time the ending frames right. For this its just a quick 1-2 bam

TriTails

Smash Lord
I'm lost... I never get these things called 'jab cancel' and 'hit confirm'...

Sounds awesome, looking foward to the video.

Oh, and is this possible with only Jab 1? Jab 1 has more hitstun than Jab 2.

And if I recall right, Boss used the F-air chaingrab against Takun in a friendly... unless I'm mistaken.

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
I'm lost... I never get these things called 'jab cancel' and 'hit confirm'...

Sounds awesome, looking foward to the video.

Oh, and is this possible with only Jab 1? Jab 1 has more hitstun than Jab 2.

And if I recall right, Boss used the F-air chaingrab against Takun in a friendly... unless I'm mistaken.
I've tried to do it with jab 1 but it never seems to work, not sure why that is exactly but it may have to do with jab 2 moving ur hitbox slightly forward

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Im actually pretty sure I've seen Boss do this before! He's all about jab cancels and things of that nature.

I think the reason you can't do it out of the first jab is because it might not have as much hit stun as the 2nd one? Because you can pretty much immediately react out of getting hit by it.

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Im actually pretty sure I've seen Boss do this before! He's all about jab cancels and things of that nature.

I think the reason you can't do it out of the first jab is because it might not have as much hit stun as the 2nd one? Because you can pretty much immediately react out of getting hit by it.
If you can find a video of boss doing it that would be cool, that way I don't go around thinking I was the first to discover it haha

TriTails

Smash Lord
Dude, I just said Jab 1 has more hitstun than Jab 2. At least if the animations doesn't decieve.

Maybe because Jab 1 has more end lag than Jab 2. Though, not sure of this.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Dude, I just said Jab 1 has more hitstun than Jab 2. At least if the animations doesn't decieve.

Maybe because Jab 1 has more end lag than Jab 2. Though, not sure of this.
It was just a guess! I've never labbed it before. It could definitely be the end lag though.

If you can find a video of boss doing it that would be cool, that way I don't go around thinking I was the first to discover it haha
I will definitely look around! More excuses to watch Boss videos.
x]

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
This isn't guaranteed at all, anyone with a fast aerial can hit us before Up B comes out.
Numerous/ all characters can jump.
Marth/ Lucina/ PacMan/ Sonic/ Mario/ Doc/ Little Mac, anyone with a fast Up B, can Up B
Fast falling characters such as Sheik/ Falcon/ Fox/ Falco/ DDD can all shield.

Jab -> Grab isn't even guaranteed, every character can simply roll away before you get the grab out.

The only way Jab 1 -> Up B and Jab 2 -> Up B will work is if the player inputs a slow aerial or dodge after the Jab hits them, causing them to land with lag, and not have the aerials hitbox come out in time. It plays on the opponent making a mistake, which if they don't make a mistake after you jab them, you're going to be punished.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I made this same mistake in thought a few weeks ago, I hit a friend as he tried to roll and he figured jab> Up B worked... For awhile WE were convinced until we tried Sonic.

Sonic was able to just hold left or right, then I tried perfect shielding and then even found the opponent can roll away from the situation so if this works on someone it is mainly because the opponent did not respond correctly sadly.

If you really want to force this "set up" I would suggest just poking with jab 1/2 and see how your opponent responds then if you really want the up-b that bad then try but it will only work against someone who is ignorant that is not a set up.
8 frames for Up-B to hit additional 2 from grab and as mentioned that's not something we have anymore.

It's not a coincidence that you don't see many Luigi players go for Up-B when there are so many more options we have that do not require anywhere near as much risk.

Up-b is pretty much is you feel you have a solid read, I personally only go for it if i feel it will/should punish an opponent's actions.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Because you can pretty much immediately react out of getting hit by it.
Just gonna bring this back down haha.

This is pretty much why I don't attempt jab resets and things of that nature because 95% of the time, they'll do something directly out of it or just jump out.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Yeah basically what most of the others said, it's not guaranteed. I knew about it a while back but rarely use it unless I know the opponent won't try to mash out of the jab combo. If they do try to attack I usually shield it then jump cancel the Up-B.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yes, this is very possible, and quite old, I might add. This has been known since Brawl, actually. Unfortunately though, this is not guarenteed, and so I would only recommend doing this near the edge where you won't get everything punished out of you. Very nice for catching people off-guard. I do recall seeing Boss do this a few times.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
It was possible and reliable in Brawl because you actually could jab cancel, but it's not a true combo in Smash 4, as others above have already mentioned.

On the topic of Up B set ups, I've been experimenting with dtilt -> dash -> JC Up B.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
It was possible and reliable in Brawl because you actually could jab cancel, but it's not a true combo in Smash 4, as others above have already mentioned.

On the topic of Up B set ups, I've been experimenting with dtilt -> dash -> JC Up B.
That reminds me, a JC banana throw followed by an Up B (doesn't have to be jump-canceled) is a true combo.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Ignorance, this is why you have not seen this already multiple times at high level.
All you can really do is attempt it yourself against someone who is aware and see for yourselves, it's a hefty punish against shielding for too long or not knowing to correctly respond but for the reasons already mentioned it is not a clean or true string.
In the video I can already see what went wrong for the people who got hit, if you are hit by this set up it's not because it actually works but because the opponent did not reply in the correct manner.
I'm not attempting to take a dump on the video but would rather not see a Luigi go out in a tournament set in the belief this will work at high level because it's a true string...It's a punish of fear and ignorance. If you want an SJP work for it and actually punish a move with enough recovery to get it, in the mean time you have better choices you can make throughout a game/set.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about this the other day. Unfortunately, Jab cancels, at least in Luigi's case, don't seem to work like they did in Brawl. However, as others have pointed, out it could be useful, just in certain scenarios. I have landed this against Rosalina players in tournament, I feel it works well against her given she is big and floaty, so jab pops her up and it takes her a while to land. Another possibility is jabbing through air dodge, giving them a bit more hang time in the air, and then land the up b. This could of been Doc's case in the video. It could work against other characters like Olimar and Lucario, who are also very floaty. There was a frame data list in brawl that had who it did and who it didn't work on, but I haven't seen anyone make a list yet for this game, if any work. It may only work against a small handful of the cast, but try testing it out against all the characters. Have a friend try to hit the ground and shield or attack, after a jab. While it may be very specific, I don't think it's something that should be tossed aside. Especially since it's an option that doesn't rely on down throw.

Top Bottom