Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 236 55.1%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 107 25.0%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 40 9.3%

• Total voters

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Premium
Yes. It is better, But that's like saying a stone being thrown at your head is better than being shot. I mean, yeah it is better. But it's still not good.
Even through the shop means, I'm still collecting them fairly quickly. I am about to crack 800 songs after just one week of playing.
Do the My Music settings just not apply to online matches in this?
For me, they seem to apply only 60% of the time.
I want to unlock the Norfair theme, but i can’t find it anywhere.
I found that one in the shop. Just keep checking back every so often.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Does anyone actually enjoy unlocking things? It was good in 64, Melee and Brawl when there was no/primitive online, but I think we're now at the point where everything should just be unlocked in Smash; like it actually feels like I'm playing the game now that I have all the characters unlocked, whereas it was like I was demoing it before.

PF9

Smash Ace
I think the Classic Mode unlock chains should have been themed

Here's how they should have been arranged:

(in no particular order)
Mario: Bowser, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Sonic
Donkey Kong: Diddy Kong, Ken, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Mr. Game & Watch, Pac-Man, Ryu, Snake
Samus: Bayonetta, Dark Samus, Inkling, Isabelle, Lucina, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Zero Suit Samus
Link: Ganondorf, Marth, Pit, Sheik, Simon, Toon Link, Young Link, Zelda
Yoshi: Chrom, Cloud, Corrin, Ike, Richter, Robin, Roy, Wario
Kirby: Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, King Dedede, Lucas, Meta Knight, Ness, Villager
Fox: Captain Falcon, Falco, Mega Man, Olimar, R.O.B., Ridley, Shulk, Wolf
Pikachu: Greninja, Incineroar, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer

Mario's chain would consist of other characters in his series, and his former rival Sonic

DK would have the other characters in his series and numerous other characters that debuted in the 1980s on a non-NES/Famicom platform

Samus would have all the female characters not in Mario or Zelda

Link would have all the characters in his series, plus 3 "cool" characters that also debuted on the NES in America or Famicom in Japan

Yoshi would have Wario, the one remaining Mario sidearm character, plus characters would would likely see Yoshi as a beast that must be defeated

Kirby has the other characters in his series, plus other cute characters and Dark Pit (who is assigned to Kirby arbitrairily)

Fox has other characters from science fiction games

Pikachu would have all the other characters in his series

This makes more sense than just randomly assigning characters to unlock chains.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Speaking only for myself, but I love unlocking characters, Spirits, music, etc. The more the better. In fact, I'm probably in the minority in that I would've preferred getting new characters at a slightly SLOWER pace in Ultimate.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Just unlocked what is presumed to be all music tracks (876) yesterday. All that is left is the challenges and spirit board.
Would you say that the remaining 26 I need will come from a run through World of Light? Building up to that 850 was fairly simple. Music was always showing up in the shop. I haven't seen anything since unlocking all characters through Classic Mode, I believe.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Question on the challenger approaching door:

If I lose to a character, then lose to others, do I have to unlock the first character before the following ones appear? Or do they loop or is it random?

EDIT: Got my answer tonight; they do loop. So now I have everybody except for the one character who I choose to keep behind the door for personal reasons.

Last edited:
Would you say that the remaining 26 I need will come from a run through World of Light? Building up to that 850 was fairly simple. Music was always showing up in the shop. I haven't seen anything since unlocking all characters through Classic Mode, I believe.
There are several music tracks in both the challenges and world of light. Be sure to take your time in world of light as there is a track or two that is easily missed.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
A very small note for Patch 2.0. The patch notes say you can now buy Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee in the shop (previously exclusive to having a save for Pokemon LGPE on your system), but you can also find them on Spirit Board.

Xelrog

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I like unlocking things. It makes it feel special, the first time you're playing a Smash game. Honestly I think I would have liked unlocking levels as well, provided there weren't any ludicrously stupid unlock conditions. I cite Mewtwo's unlock method in Melee, or having to play Smash Tour for Pac-Land in Wii U.

That said, I don't like having to unlock game features. There were some extra settings you had to unlock in Melee, and you have to beat World of Light to change the menu music in Ultimate.

Dan

Smash Lord
I also like unlocking things, but they definitely went overboard with 66; they should've just had the newcomers/new stages be unlockable.