• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[discussion]ping spoof client

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
If I could release a ping spoof client, should I? What practical benefit do people get by using it, if any? What grief can people cause with it? I'm trying to decide if I should make this a feature in my client, but I'm worried about potential abuses of it.

Fireblaster has already made an excellent suggestion: if it is released, upon joining any server or game it could announce that you are spoofing and state your real ping so it's no secret. However, the spoofed ping would go into frame delay calculations.

Please have a mature discussion about this so the thread doesn't have to get closed.

- Owna

malva00

Smash Master
if there's ping spoof I can get 9X ping in galaxy again and play with 7 frames on EXC instead of 9

that's the main reason why I don't play teams in there

Battlecow

Play to Win
If it were impossible to deceive people with it, then yeah, it's a good idea, but I don't want to be constantly setting a maxping and have laggers jump in under it.

Frogles

Smash Ace
people wouldnt have to join a server x amount of times to get a certain ping

so i say yes :O

would actually be better with spoof announcement so you'd know if your real ping shot up

EDIT: good point battlecow. i'd rather not have this at all if people bypass my ping limit. x_o

dandan

Smash Lord
why not making a check that the ping is, lets say, max 20 ms less then what your real ping is, so people won't just get in with 5ms and play with 5fps.
i think that 20ms can drop like 2 frames in servers while still keeping it hopefully, lag free.
at least that is my take on this.

DMoogle

A$
I set my ping limit to 120ms. If someone lags, I kick them. If someone uses this to play me and lags because of it, then they'll get kicked. Once they know that I'm not going to give them any action, then they (should) stop trying to play me.

May as well add the functionality.

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Once they know that I'm not going to give them any action, then they (should) stop trying to play me.
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

*ahem* I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I like what I've heard so far. I'll probably let this discussion go for at least a few days before making a decision.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
can there be a /ping function that returns the user's actual ping? then maybe /maxrealping could reference the actual ping

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
can there be a /ping function that returns the user's actual ping? then maybe /maxrealping could reference the actual ping
Any slash commands like that would have to be server-side. Plus, I don't want to over-complicate anything. I just want to see if there is a way to publicly release a ping spoof client that can't be abused.

dandan

Smash Lord
Any slash commands like that would have to be server-side. Plus, I don't want to over-complicate anything. I just want to see if there is a way to publicly release a ping spoof client that can't be abused.
why not release is privately for people who want it and can be trusted for not trying to abuse it. i still like my max spoof limit idea though, no bias ;)

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Private releases always leak, and if I give something to a small handful of people, everyone and their mother will be PMing me for a copy of the client. I don't want to be responsible for accidentally destroying the kaillera community (although there could be an EASY protocol fix to prevent ping spoofing lol). Anyhow, it will probably be released if people keep brainstorming ways to prevent it from being abused.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
i have a client that can spoof pings and to be honest, the novelty of it wears off after just a couple of days. You can't use it to play in low delay unless you want your game to lag.

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
I would actually do teams in galaxy with ping spoofer
I just went to a server I pinged 120 to and got 9 frames on Exc naturally. I ping spoofed to give me 7 frames just to see what the framerate would be like. I'd say I averaged 56 fps - ranging from 55-60 but usually closer to 55 - which greatly hindered gameplay. I don't think any good player would want to play in that kind of lag, so don't get your hopes up just in case you have the same results as me. So even if I release this tomorrow, I don't know what good it will do anyone aside from the novelty effect for those who have never had access to a ping spoofer before.

malva00

Smash Master
I entered this Chile server and there were like 8 ssb games lol. I also entered Korean servers with ping limits for fun and took a PEEK.

PING SPOOFING BUG: the ping spoof doesn't work if you enter a ping number and then enter a server from the server list; the spoof effect only works after I enter a server from the local list first

blaze3927

Smash Ace
it would be handy for us down under, especially because the current server my ping varies from 29-50

just the border between 3 and 5 frames on exc

asianaussie

Smash Hero
We need more people to play smash64 in australia. Even melee players. Too bad half the countrinent is desert and kangaroos.

Countrinent is a word I made up, it applies to Australia only and makes us special.

firo

Smash Ace
Using a different ping for the delay calculation is something that is coming server side. Once you join a game you'd be able to use a / command to enter your delay ping.

Ping spoofing would render the /maxping useless and would allow people over the 315 ping limit to galaxy join, which can also cause problems. Identifying people by their ping is also an often useful way to pick people out, and sorting people by ping would probably be hindered. Having a ping not match up with the physical location of an ip address also makes tracing a bit more ambiguous.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
the continent is australia, and @ blue yoshi i troll the americans and japanese on a bi-daily basis for p2p matches, i find that the lack of players in oz results in very similar moveset/approaches etc

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Using a different ping for the delay calculation is something that is coming server side. Once you join a game you'd be able to use a / command to enter your delay ping.

Ping spoofing would render the /maxping useless and would allow people over the 315 ping limit to galaxy join, which can also cause problems. Identifying people by their ping is also an often useful way to pick people out, and sorting people by ping would probably be hindered. Having a ping not match up with the physical location of an ip address also makes tracing a bit more ambiguous.
I know you haven't seen it yet cause you were too busy having a life yesterday :p, but when ping spoofing, you are *clearly* identifiable with the <FakePing> tag. Yes people might be able to skirt under the built in maxping command, but ping really doesn't inherently cause choppy gameplay (although distance might increase the likelyhood of packet loss / DS, IDK).

What do you think?

EDIT: It could always be a server option to block people with the "FakePing><" prefix anyhow. That's not a typo either... that's what the username prefix is to have it look nice, since it's automatically surrounded in <> when someone talks.

DMoogle

A$
Ping has actually nothing to do with lagging or not D:
I know that. It's boring to play someone who has so much delay. There are only like 2 or 3 guys that I don't mind playing that have >100ms on Galaxy (and I set the cap this high purely because of these people).

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Spoof ping was on the crash client that I had back in 09 that i "stole" from near and them. Sense the one i had was a .exe program not a .dll i couldn't play but, It would lag if you made your ping too low, Sort of like the ping trick in p2p. But Owna, talk to fireblaster because i think hes the one who made the 0ping client/ crash client.

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Spoof ping was on the crash client that I had back in 09 that i "stole" from near and them. Sense the one i had was a .exe program not a .dll i couldn't play but, It would lag if you made your ping too low, Sort of like the ping trick in p2p. But Owna, talk to fireblaster because i think hes the one who made the 0ping client/ crash client.
I already spoke to Fireblaster, and it was thanks to him that I have this feature working. It was upon decompiling that .exe that I learned that you had to send the ping response 4 times instead of just once. That was the only problem I had with the method I tried! It's funny how sometimes you can have the right idea but make a stupid mistake and it doesn't work.

I'm just trying to decide whether or not to release the feature in my client now.

Who Dat

Smash Rookie
just release it. whoever lags and doesn't lag isn't ever gonna change. and this program isn't going to alter how people deal with someone that's lagging (lagstat, kick test, etc.). from what i see itll do more good. A lot of people saying 'they'd actually play on the server now'

Top Bottom