• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion of Stage Legality in Smash Bros. Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
If you can't see the stage selected by random before going to the character select screen, then that's a huge over sight. They've specifically said that the change was made to promote you changing your character selection/strategy based on the stage, so allowing somebody to completely throw that out by just hitting random seems... unlikely.

Count Bleck

Smash Cadet
Something I noticed from some footage on Lylat Cruise, Hazardless Lylat does not tilt ever. So now we can add "stages that move/tilt will no longer move/tilt" outside of select Platforms like Frigate Orpheon.

PoptartLord

Smash Cadet
I don't mean to be down on creative thinking, but ...
... you're going to address my main points, give your thoughts on them, and back your statements up with examples? You'd best be careful or we might have an actual discussion on our hands.

So basically what you're saying is that since people are not nice we can't have nice things. Yes, the worst case scenario is that the first n stages chosen are automatically banned; n = pool size. This then devolves to a game of chicken where the decider picks the worst n stages to hide their actual first choice, which is then chosen the moment the ban pool empties (unless their bluff is called first). And you're afraid that will become the average case due to human nature. ...I have no counterargument for that. My vision of a rapid-fire stage->'no'->stage->'no'->stage->'yes' selection process will probably never see the light of day; it's just too grand for reality.

To tie up loose ends: the one that chooses the stage first is unchanged (winner of rock-paper-scissors/coin toss/puyo-puyo tetris/what have you), then the loser of the previous match. I don't see how having a legal stage list undoes anything? Everything I said was in context of picking from a legal stage list. Am I missing something here?

Wily's Castle, for instance, loses its platforms alongside Yellow Devil
Wait, really? That's awful. This news makes me a very sad pop-tart. Wily's Castle is arguably the stage I was most excited for when I first heard "hazard toggle". This needs to be fixed.

simply because I'm sick to death of Smashville
You're not the only one. My two most used phrases at Smash 4 tournaments are "I ban Animal Crossing" and "Gentelman's Rule to Gamer?".

It seems like the consensus here so far is that the old stage selection methods don't scale to Ultimate's potential list size. Good. The sooner this is talked about (and the more widespread) the better. There's still two major points I'd like to bring up. The first is on grouping. Omega stages count as FD, Alphas as Battlefield. These are the obvious ones. The tricky part is going to be classifying the hazardless stages as separate entities or not. For example, is hazardless Midgar a Battlefield or should it have its own slot? If the latter then that skews the stage style more towards Battlefield (or it doubles the identical layout outcome on the Random list). If the former then it can't be chosen with Random. Yes I know we'll have to wait and see how things turn out in the final build but there's so few 'what if' cases that there's no reason not to start this discussion yet.
The second is how to decide whether "non-obvious decision" stages should have hazards on or off. The only example I'm comfortable bringing up so soon is Dreamland. We all know the effect will be turning Whispy on or off. We've been living with it since 64 - does that give Whispy a pass? And if we toggle it off then how do we justify the stage being not just another Battlefield (see point 1)?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It seems like the consensus here so far is that the old stage selection methods don't scale to Ultimate's potential list size. Good. The sooner this is talked about (and the more widespread) the better. There's still two major points I'd like to bring up. The first is on grouping. Omega stages count as FD, Alphas as Battlefield. These are the obvious ones. The tricky part is going to be classifying the hazardless stages as separate entities or not. For example, is hazardless Midgar a Battlefield or should it have its own slot? If the latter then that skews the stage style more towards Battlefield (or it doubles the identical layout outcome on the Random list). If the former then it can't be chosen with Random. Yes I know we'll have to wait and see how things turn out in the final build but there's so few 'what if' cases that there's no reason not to start this discussion yet.
The second is how to decide whether "non-obvious decision" stages should have hazards on or off. The only example I'm comfortable bringing up so soon is Dreamland. We all know the effect will be turning Whispy on or off. We've been living with it since 64 - does that give Whispy a pass? And if we toggle it off then how do we justify the stage being not just another Battlefield (see point 1)?
I think step 1 (with this current pre-release discussion being step 0 or perhaps even step -1) should be a good faith effort to document exactly how each stage behaves with hazards turned off. It's what I'll be doing, at any rate. Although I have no doubt that most of the stages will have to be unlocked.

(Maybe I should schedule a vacation day for December 7...get a nice 3 day weekend going.)

I'm personally in favor of a blanket "hazards off" rule for all stages regardless of past legal status. For starters, I don't think it's worth inviting the drama llama over deciding whether an individual stage's hazards are acceptable or not. A consistent rule with no room for interpretation keeps things nice and simple. Second, we don't even know if hazards can be turned on/off from the stage select screen or if they're buried in a menu somewhere. The less time players have to spend navigating menus between each match, the better. This does leave the question of how to handle non-BF triplats or non-FD flats, admittedly, but I believe it's the lesser evil.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I think step 1 (with this current pre-release discussion being step 0 or perhaps even step -1) should be a good faith effort to document exactly how each stage behaves with hazards turned off. It's what I'll be doing, at any rate. Although I have no doubt that most of the stages will have to be unlocked.

(Maybe I should schedule a vacation day for December 7...get a nice 3 day weekend going.)

I'm personally in favor of a blanket "hazards off" rule for all stages regardless of past legal status. For starters, I don't think it's worth inviting the drama llama over deciding whether an individual stage's hazards are acceptable or not. A consistent rule with no room for interpretation keeps things nice and simple. Second, we don't even know if hazards can be turned on/off from the stage select screen or if they're buried in a menu somewhere. The less time players have to spend navigating menus between each match, the better. This does leave the question of how to handle non-BF triplats or non-FD flats, admittedly, but I believe it's the lesser evil.
I feel like a lot of this could also depend on stage hazard toggle being an all or nothing thing, or if it will be on a per-stage basis. If it's a per-stage thing, then it can be decided on a individual basis on how the stage acts. But if it's an all or nothing thing, I feel like the list should either be determined with the toggle ON, or OFF, and have no flipping between, as it could extend sets that are already on the long side compared to other games. Of course the length of sets will probably be faster than current smash 4 sets, but I think there's been some discussion about possibly pushing it to 3 stock instead of 2 if stocks are that much faster this time around.

Also, if you do end up grouping a lot of stages together as FD or BF clones (are we calling these echo stages now?), you would obviously probably only want to have 1 in the random list to keep it from having a greater chance to show up.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
How many cases of identical types of stages are there, actually? Only ones I can really think of are Midgar (to BF) and the two Pokemon Stadiums (to each other, obviously). Yoshi's Story, Wily's Castle, and Unova Pokemon League each have walls that go down to the bottom blast zone, which I think is a significant enough difference. Dreamland 64 doesn't quite have that, but those small walls on the ledges also give players some different options. So it may not actually be much of a problem.

Bozikins

Smash Rookie
There are probably more that could be grouped up in the list as well. Willy Castle, if it doesn't have it's platforms showing up (really wish hazard toggle would only turn off YD here), it really could just be lumped in with FD. Same thing with dreamland just acting as BF if hazards off means no blowing wind.

I didn't think to look at it in any of the gameplay videos, but once a stage is selected, are you able to actually see what stage you're going to on the character select screen? I would assume you can tell somehow, but it would be quite a bit less effective if you couldn't tell which stage it randomizes to before actually launching into the match.
Thank you for bringing this up about the random stage select. I thought this entire thread brought up many interesting points I hadn't considered yet, yours being one of them.

Yeah, if it turns out we can't see the stage, that sounds like it'd be a problem if we actually go through with the random stage selection, it doesn't sound very fair if a Little Mac main gets randomly transported to Duck Hunt with no way of knowing that they'll be playing on Duck Hunt.
View attachment 149452

Not sure if there was a modified build or not for the other places that have had the demo but the one they played on Treehouse and at E3 does not have any stage icon or anything like that before a match begins. This doesn't rule out random showing us what stage it picks on the stage screen though.
I agree that this would be a problem, especially if one player saw the stage that was selected and the other did not. Previous games gave you all the information on the stage select screen which, from an interface design perspective, helps to give the player all pertinent information required for the match. Using the screenshot you provided above, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to add a banner at the top (next to "Solo Battle") that listed the stage name.

I did some research as to what happens when the "Random" button is selected on the Stage Select screen in Melee, Brawl, and Sm4sh. While it appears that all games give you a quick preview of the stage, I was reminded of the "Stage Selection" setting. This can be set to Random and as seen in the video below will transition straight from the Character Select screen to the match without displaying the Stage Select screen.

Disclaimer: This is not my video.

Should we decide to make random stage select the standard for competitive play, maybe this setting could even the odds or help to avoid potential conflicts between players?

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
How many cases of identical types of stages are there, actually? Only ones I can really think of are Midgar (to BF) and the two Pokemon Stadiums (to each other, obviously). Yoshi's Story, Wily's Castle, and Unova Pokemon League each have walls that go down to the bottom blast zone, which I think is a significant enough difference. Dreamland 64 doesn't quite have that, but those small walls on the ledges also give players some different options. So it may not actually be much of a problem.
Well i know any events i ran for smash4 would allow a player to select any omega stage instead of FD if they wanted, so I think still keeping them grouped would still work, since it's more just a "flat and featureless" distinction. I would say if a stage is close enough, then just group them to help keep the numbers down, and increase stage variety a bit.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well i know any events i ran for smash4 would allow a player to select any omega stage instead of FD if they wanted, so I think still keeping them grouped would still work, since it's more just a "flat and featureless" distinction. I would say if a stage is close enough, then just group them to help keep the numbers down, and increase stage variety a bit.
On top of that, they said and showed that unlike Smash 4, all omegas are completely identical this time around, with the same undersides. That probably includes FD itself, so they should be interchangeable gameplay-wise. The only other differences omegas had in 4 were flatness (e.g. Flat Zone) and grassy omegas having higher traction... hopefully those also get changed this time around?

(Same goes for Battlefield forms.)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I understand the idea of grouping but in a random paradigm I don't see it as practical. You basically have to ban all of the "too similar" stages for game one, you have arguments about where the line is (Is Fountain of Dreams just Battlefield? You will get different answers here.), and then who knows what fun arguments you get to have from the guys who really want Wily's Castle instead of Final Destination as the flat stage for the different underside or when someone discovers Midgar's ceiling is 0.2 units lower than Battlefield's. I figure they just weight the overall pool toward those types of stages when random selection is used, and that's just how the game is. It's not really bad for some stages to have 2 or 3 chances to happen when you random from 40 possibilities. The actual omegas and BF forms are the kinds of things I figure you can pick for game 2 or 3 if it's your turn to pick but wouldn't be on random for game one because both the interface probably won't support it and because it would be generally pointless.

I'm also not really moved by being overly picky about how generically fine stages play and dismissing them without a real shot. I'm just... unconvinced that certain stages are automatically campfests in general for having one platform kinda high or not having a central platform, and I'm similarly unconvinced stages that have geography that's just a bit different are likewise just bad. Obviously we'll have to play some to confirm stuff (going into the weeds of which stages in particular we're definitely going to have legal and taking the arguments seriously 5.5 months before the game comes out would be... silly), but I feel pretty strongly that the consistent error the smash community has made in stage policy in the past has been being just too closed to anything outside of the smallest of comfort zones. There's really a happy medium out there between playing your tournament game on a hazards filled version of Spear Pillar versus having 5 legal stages that will in the end actually make people the happiest and also result in the best possible game.

It kinda comes around to the final thing I wanted to touch on is the idea that in the end our job when we make the rules isn't to do game design. Not that I haven't been guilty in the past, but I think we have to collectively understand that us as a group rebalancing the game by imposing house rules on it to make it play the way we want to isn't healthy. In a game with this many options it's hard to avoid to some extent, and sometimes things in the game force our hand, but we should be making a good effort to avoid it as much as we can. Even if any one of us has a good idea, in the end decisions can't be made by just one person that will really stick and design by committee is the road to disaster in game design since it's the tragedy of the human condition that while a person can be smart people are always stupid. It seems very clear that the smash devs put in the hazard toggle to facilitate competitive play so since that was the obvious intention we as the competitive players should just roll with it instead of trying to craft our own thing. When stages are generally within the domain of what they need to be I don't feel we should be super picky since the hazards off versions are the dev intended competitive versions anyway, and I kinda figure if they were supposed to be different they would be. It's not only a generally more "pure" approach, but it's generally less political which results in so many fewer hurt feelings in the end which ultimately results in a bigger and healthier competitive scene.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
In a game where there might be dozens of legal stages and stage select comes before character select, I think random and blind pick for game one is the best approach. If this were the first Smash game, I don't see how the traditional system would even be on the table for Ultimate tbh.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i'm not a competitive player, so i honestly have no idea what all this is about...

...but isn't there an option to turn every single stage into a battlefield/final destination-type stage?

doesn't that technically make ALL the stages in the game "legal"?

i mean, it sounds like "legal" stages are just stages where nothing happens and don't allow players to hide/camp... if that's all you want, just change them into their FD form, you get the aesthetics of the stage and the functionality... or lack thereof... of FD.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
i'm not a competitive player, so i honestly have no idea what all this is about...

...but isn't there an option to turn every single stage into a battlefield/final destination-type stage?

i mean, it sounds like "legal" stages are just stages where nothing happens and don't allow players to hide/camp... if that's all you want, just change them into their FD form, you get the aesthetics of the stage and the functionality... or lack thereof... of FD.
You want stages to have variety, but not be too oppressive or advantageous for certain characters. It's why stages like duckhunt were banned. Although it's really basic with no real hazards, the large tree on the side means fast nimble characters can very easily just hit and run the entire game with little risk, and the slow characters with shorter jumps simply cannot keep up, and there is very little option for reads or outplaying in that regard.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

The non-omega, non-Battlefield forms of stages change up the gameplay, so it's good to include the ones that aren't unfair. For example, Smashville's moving platform (which neither its omega nor Battlefield form will have) allows for different strategies that use the platform. So you want to be as inclusive as possible to these different layouts, while also making sure to exclude any imbalanced stages.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
ah, well that clears things up a bit more.

really complicates the game, though, from the sound of it.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I just had an interesting idea regarding the number of stages.

If there really are too many stages to make standard picks & bans difficult to maintain, I think the Smash community could take a note from Blizzard. In competitive Starcraft and HOTS, they only have a handful of their total stages available for play during any one season. What if we did that? An informal agreement on which stages would be considered legal and available for that 6 month period.

Some would probably always be on the table, like Battlefield and Smashville, but the others would rotate out regularly. We could have a good variety of stages without the excessive numbers that would make picks & bans ridiculous.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I just had an interesting idea regarding the number of stages.

If there really are too many stages to make standard picks & bans difficult to maintain, I think the Smash community could take a note from Blizzard. In competitive Starcraft and HOTS, they only have a handful of their total stages available for play during any one season. What if we did that? An informal agreement on which stages would be considered legal and available for that 6 month period.

Some would probably always be on the table, like Battlefield and Smashville, but the others would rotate out regularly. We could have a good variety of stages without the excessive numbers that would make picks & bans ridiculous.
Certainly not a terrible idea, but then you would need some group to decide which stages are used every 6 months. So many different regions already will use different lists as well, so there would also need to be some incentive to using the list. One of the reasons it works well for blizzard is that they tie those seasons to player rankings, and while there are things to keep up with that for smash, they aren't automatic, which means it's far less likely to be utilized by most players. And even then, you would probably want a way to ensure they're following the rules for that season and using the appropriate list. It would probably be fine if major tournaments would use it, but I just see too many little logistical things for it to be something enforceable widespread.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
No matter what happens, the worst possible decision is to have "starter" and "counterpick" stages. There should only be two types of stages: legal or not legal.
In the past we've always been limited by how fair and neutral the stages we have are. Things like Stadium transformations and Lylat tilting are still topics of contention. With the seemingly plethora of viable stages we will have I think we can eliminate a lot of the shenanigans. With that said I still believe having 5 starters and then other counter-pick stages is the way to go. Hear me out. What we strive to aim for in game 1 of a match is the most neutral stage between two characters making for the most fairness possible. In the past we reserve counter-picks for our janky stages BC not every stage is as neutral and jank-free as Battlefield or Smashville have shown to be. But we still have stages like FD or Dreamland that while void of massive stage hazards can still be very favorable in certain match-ups. I think the best course of action would be to try to keep with that theme of taking the 5 "best" stages and making them starters. Likely FD, BF, Smashville and two others.
As far as counter-pick stages go I don't think we should go crazy and have 15 counter-pick stages. It simply opens up too many opportunities for large advantages based on either blast zones or platform layout etc. I do however think we could have enough stages that a ban if not multiple bans were always in place, whether bo3 or bo5. A lot of people would love the option to never have to play on Final Destination for example. I think this could be achieved while not completely negating the advantage of a counter-pick. That's part of the point of having those stages in the first place, that they actually give a significant advantage to the person choosing the stage.
An overabundance of stages would also make it harder for players. More stages to practice, less familiarity with certain character setups etc. It would just be another thing making it harder for newcomers to enter the competitive scene. I could see a happy middle ground of say 5 starters and 5 counter-pick stages along with one or two stage bans being the best option overall. The variety of stages too could help us avoid things like BF and DL in sm4sh being so similar. We could have unique stages that while still fair offer variety which is good from a viewership standpoint as well.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
What we strive to aim for in game 1 of a match is the most neutral stage between two characters making for the most fairness possible.
And now that the game lets you pick your character after already seeing what stage you'll be playing on, the burden to make the match fair rests on the players and their choice of character.

An overabundance of stages would also make it harder for players. More stages to practice, less familiarity with certain character setups etc. It would just be another thing making it harder for newcomers to enter the competitive scene.
I don't think it's unreasonable, as long as stages that change the fundamental gameplay aren't included in the stage list – which is a reason that stages get banned. If you have a grasp on how the game works, how drop through platforms work, how to gain stage control, etc, then a different stage layout using those exact same elements oughta be simple enough to get your head around.

I also don't think it's a bad thing that players are rewarded for practicing on every stage, in the same way that I don't think it's a bad thing that someone who practices combo setups will do better than someone who doesn't. It rewards investment into the game.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
And now that the game lets you pick your character after already seeing what stage you'll be playing on, the burden to make the match fair rests on the players and their choice of character.
I still imagine game 1 in tournies will have both players blind pick their character 1st even if the game doesn't show it. The stage getting picked before the character I think is just an attempt to make games 2 and beyond smoother. That way you get less backing out of stage select screen to change character and go back to stage select.
I still believe too many stages in tournies could be a problem. While yes you are right that it would reward people for putting in the time it could also severely punish characters that have a stage weakness. If you put in 15 or 20 stages in competitive (and I'm not saying the stages themselves are bad) but you'd get several stages that were extremely similar. You either end up giving players 4 stage bans and that just makes tournaments run slower (more stages to choose from would also make people spend more time before selecting a stage slowing tournaments down) or some people are going to get stuck on awful stages for their character with high frequency. It would essentially make DSR obsolete. You ban stage A I choose stage B that's remarkably similar.
It would in turn also create an environment less conducive to solo mains. A lot of characters would end up having several really strong counter-picks. Which could lead to more lopsided games 2 and on. I just think having tons of stages would end up doing more harm than good in the long run.
But if the majority of people want 4 battlefield-type stages then my opinion doesn't matter.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I still imagine game 1 in tournies will have both players blind pick their character 1st even if the game doesn't show it. The stage getting picked before the character I think is just an attempt to make games 2 and beyond smoother. That way you get less backing out of stage select screen to change character and go back to stage select.
If TOs decide to just use what we already use for other games, this will indeed happen. I'm of the opinion that that's not ideal for this game.

As far as a large stage list being bad for solo mains... in a game with this many characters, solo maining is already gonna be the least viable it's ever been in Smash, especially since the roster will inevitably be more balanced than Smash 4's was (meaning more characters are used in practice). It's not unreasonable that in order to do well in a game with so much content, you should have to put time into a decent chunk of that content.

All of this is assuming that there's anything as blatant as SSB4 Mac or Ganon on Duck Hunt as far as stages blatantly hindering certain characters, which I suspect won't be as bad this time around. In the case of that type of example, where vertically challenged characters do poorly on certain stage layouts, there are already changes in place that will probably help out with that. Directional airdodging upward gives everyone a little bit more height to reach a platform, and grounded jumps are quicker to reach their peak. Mac in particular now has a Side B with no special fall, and a KO Punch with enough vertical range to hit opponents on standard-height platforms.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I still believe too many stages in tournies could be a problem. While yes you are right that it would reward people for putting in the time it could also severely punish characters that have a stage weakness. If you put in 15 or 20 stages in competitive (and I'm not saying the stages themselves are bad) but you'd get several stages that were extremely similar. You either end up giving players 4 stage bans and that just makes tournaments run slower (more stages to choose from would also make people spend more time before selecting a stage slowing tournaments down) or some people are going to get stuck on awful stages for their character with high frequency. It would essentially make DSR obsolete. You ban stage A I choose stage B that's remarkably similar.
It would in turn also create an environment less conducive to solo mains. A lot of characters would end up having several really strong counter-picks. Which could lead to more lopsided games 2 and on. I just think having tons of stages would end up doing more harm than good in the long run.
But if the majority of people want 4 battlefield-type stages then my opinion doesn't matter.

In regards to the banning, this is why with the large amount of possible legal stages, you would utilize a random stage pick + ban as I stated on the first page of this thread. It speads everything up, spices things up, and just works better given how Ultimate works as opposed to the current Stage strike/ counterpick system that is currently legal.

It's not in regards to 4 battlefield-type stages. Plenty of the possible legal stages aren't similar to Battlefield or FD, which is why they are in my list. Castle Siege or Frigate Orpheon for instance are nothing like Battlefield or FD, and with hazards off, these could be legal.

Plus, with the random stage select, it falls to the player to either A) Properly ban stages that are "worse" for their main characters, B) Train with their main to make the most out of each stage, or C) Have more than 1 main to cover potential stage weaknesses. It's entirely doable, even for solo mains, to participate in tournaments if the player has the skill and the knowledge.

For clarification, here is my potential list of legal stages with hazards off (given with what we know/can assume about what hazard toggle turns off) and how the random stage select + ban process would work in tournaments.

Battlefield (Including Miiverse, Midgar, Yoshi's Story)
Final Destination (Possibly including Arena Ferox and Willy Caslte [unsure if walls will disqualify])
Dreamland
Yoshi's Island [64] (If Stage Hazard removes the lingering clouds, or makes them untouchable)
Brinstar [Melee] (Assuming no acid and no breakable parts of the stage)
Green Greens [Melee] (Assuming no breakable blocks drop, leaving gaps between the platforms)
Jungle Japes [Melee] (Assuming no rushing water or random fish underneath platforms) *Yay, my favorite pasttime stage could be tournament legal!*
Pokemon Stadium [both 1 & 2]
Castle Siege [Brawl]
Frigate Orpheon [Brawl]
Lylat Cruise [Brawl] (Please let there be no tilting!)
Norfair [Brawl]
Smashville [Brawl]
Warioware Inc [Brawl] (Assuming that no mini-games don't appear)
Yoshi's Island [Brawl] (Assuming platform clouds don't appear)
Find Mii [3ds] (Assuming the Dark Emperor never shows up)
Reset Bomb Forrest [3ds]
Unova Pokemon League [3ds]
Kalos Pokemon League [Wii u]
Mushroom Kingdom U [Wii u]
Town and City [Wii u]
Wuhu island [Wii u]
Skyloft [Wii u]

With random stage pick + ban, the rounds at a tournament would go as followed. All illegal stages are turned off from the random stage switch, stage hazard is toggled off. Match 1, Players open up the random stage switch and each pick 1 legal stage to turn off (banning that stage), close random stage switch, and select random. Random legal stage is selected, players chose their fighters and start. Match 2, Players open up the stage switch again, winner selects 1 legal stage to turn off (aka ban), loser selects 2 legal stages to turn off (same rules apply in the event of a 3rd match), select random to chose a stage, chose their fighters and start.

In a typical best of 3 set, out of the 23 legal stages, either 5 stages will be banned (match ends 2-0) or 8 (match ends 2-1). Following the same rules above, in a best of 5 Grand Finals, either 8 stages will be banned (3-0) 11 stages (3-1) or 14 stages (3-2), leaving at minimum a whopping 9 stages still legal come the final match of a tournament. Current rule set in Smash 4, we only have 6 legal stages period. This is a very nice jump in legal stages.

Also, unlike how the stages reset in a current Smash 4 tournament set (after each match, players re-stage strike which often means they just re-strike the same stages over and over), each ban is permanent for the duration of that set. So, for instance, say player 2 bans Town and City during that banning process of game 1. Town and City would remain off for the rest of their set. This adds more weight to their ban choices.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I'm sticking with my guns that we shouldn't over saturate the stage list even though hazard toggle makes it seem like there are now a vast amount of stages at our disposal. I think we can have better stages overall though and not be forced to simply use what's the best available like Melee and Sm4sh have had to deal with.
So giving it some more thought I still think 5 starters is the way to go. I think BATTLEFIELD and FINAL DESTINATION are obvious picks here. They are starters in Melee and Sm4sh. I'm leaving out Dreamland. The whole Whispy, is it going to be a toggled stage hazard raises some questions. But since the blast zones were shrunk to be much closer to that of BF, it's likely the blast zones will stay this way for sma5h and not return to the large blast zones they were in Melee.
The third starter is SMASHVILLE. It's been shown to be a very neutral stage, especially in Sm4sh where it kind of replaced BF as the typical go to starter. I'm removing Town & City for its similarity to Smashville. I know the two stages have differences but I'm trying to avoid multiple stages from the same game series, especially both as starters.
The fourth starter will be POKEMON STADIUM (NO HAZARDS) without transformations. This gives us a 2 platform stage to go along with our already 0, 1, and 3 platform stages. It is a counter-pick in Melee singles but a starter in Melee doubles so w/o transformations it can be a starter for both singles and doubles.
For the fifth starter the Melee player in me really wanted to put Yoshi's Story (Melee) but the stage has so little bottom platform I felt in the end that LYLAT CRUISE (NO HAZARDS) was a better fit. It still offers small blast zones but the 3 platforms vary more from BF's than does Yoshi's Story (Melee). No stage tilting would remove all the shenanigans as well.
Now for the counter-pick stages. While the starters I focused a lot on complete fairness, the counter-pick stages will have some more focus on what would be fun to play and to spectate.
So firstly we have WARIO WARE (NO HAZARDS). I was mildly tempted to make it a starter due to it having 4 platforms in place of Lylat giving us five stages with 0, 1, 2, 3 & 4 platforms. But ultimately decided the blast zones and the fact PM used it as a counter-pick and not a starter made it seem logical to follow that pattern.
Second, we have WILY CASTLE (NO HAZARDS). This is a stage people really looked forward to in Sm4sh bc of it's iconic feel and various platforms. Assuming toggling stage hazards keeps the platforms but removes the yellow devil I think this makes for a good counter-pick. It also replaces Town & City to an extent as the level with a variety of changing platforms.
Again, Yoshi's Story from Melee seemed like it could be good here. A second stage with the slanted edges seemed like it would be a good idea. But since competitive Brawl used YOSHI'S ISLAND (BRAWL) [NO HAZARDS]
it seemed like that would make it a better fit. Wario Ware has a fairly similar feel to Yoshi's Island (Melee) into the stage list, especially since its small size really impacts doubles play. So I didn't want to duplicate this.
Next, FRIGATE ORPHEON (NO HAZARDS). I was really tempted to put Brinstar (No Hazards) in this spot and I might change my mind and swap the two but in the end I felt Brinstar had fairly small blast zones off to the sides. Those small side blast zones were already there in Lylat, Wario Ware and Yoshi's. So I didn't want to over-saturate the stage list with too many tiny blast zones. Plus seeing this stage in action at the invitational made it seem like it could be a solid choice.
So I really wanted to get a new to sma5h stage in here but from what I have so far seen none stuck out as viable. I thought about Arena Ferox but some of the structures didn't seem to fit competitive play and with Wily and Frigate there didn't feel a need for a 3rd stage with lots of platform movement. So I decided upon CASTLE SIEGE (NO HAZARDS). I think this stage is viable with its 1st and 3rd transformation or just its base form. The 2nd transformation with the walk-offs and structures in the way was my big concern. I know PM toyed with removing the 2nd transformation for a while so I'd be okay with however the hazard toggle worked for this stage. It would also give a Fire Emblem stage, which I think is good considering how prevalent FE characters became in sm4sh.
As far as the starters go, I could see Stadium swapped out for something else and Stadium potentially used as a counter-pick as it is in Melee singles. But I feel very good about the other 4 starters. Where the counter-picks are concerned I like Wario Ware and Wily Castle a lot. So I feel confident in those two stages. I'm still very torn on Frigate Orpheon vs Brinstar, especially since once upon a time Brinstar was used in competitive Melee. I fear that even with hazards toggled off that might only affect the lava and the breakable parts in the middle of the stage could still be present which could present an issue. Plus having Frigate gives a slightly larger stage with more survivability instead of having a bunch of tiny stages. I could still see Yoshi's Island (Brawl) swapped out for Yoshi's Island (Melee) but that's probably just my personal bias. I feel pretty good about Castle Siege as well. I am mildly concerned with the lack of Yoshi's Island (Melee), Dreamland, Town & City and any sma5h stage. Another mild concern I have is the reliance on stage hazard toggle. But personally, even playing casually I can't imagine playing Wily Castle and wanting yellow devil there or Wario Ware mini games or Frigate flipping and getting people killed.
In Melee singles you only have 1 counter-pick and doubles has no counter-pick stages, and no stage bans in a best of 5. Sm4sh has the same thing with 5 starters and only 1 counter-pick of Dreamland which is fairly similar to Battlefield anyways. Both games utilize 1 stage ban for bo3 and no bans for bo5. I think there's a lot of risk in adding 5 counter-pick stages. I could easily see limiting it to 2 or 3 (removing Yoshi's and Frigate, potentially Castle Siege) as more viable options. As having only 2 counter-pick stages could keep the stage ban rules uniform throughout Melee, Sm4sh and Sma5h. I do think with an increased stage list to choose from (3 to 5 counter-picks) that stage bans should become commonplace in both bo3 and bo5. Two stage bans for bo3 and one ban for bo5 seems like it would make a lot of sense.
Overall I think this or something similar to this stage list would be great. It utilizes a lot of familiarity with the competitive stages that have been used in recent years across multiple smash games while adding stages competitive Brawl and Project M used as well. Thus, I believe it would help bridge some of the gaps that have formed from different smash titles and give everyone something but still keeping the focus more on the more current generation aka sm4sh players.
I also believe this stage list would give a good mix of songs. Not having half the matches be animal crossing songs would be a nice change =P

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
In regards to the banning, this is why with the large amount of possible legal stages, you would utilize a random stage pick + ban as I stated on the first page of this thread. It speads everything up, spices things up, and just works better given how Ultimate works as opposed to the current Stage strike/ counterpick system that is currently legal.

It's not in regards to 4 battlefield-type stages. Plenty of the possible legal stages aren't similar to Battlefield or FD, which is why they are in my list. Castle Siege or Frigate Orpheon for instance are nothing like Battlefield or FD, and with hazards off, these could be legal.

Plus, with the random stage select, it falls to the player to either A) Properly ban stages that are "worse" for their main characters, B) Train with their main to make the most out of each stage, or C) Have more than 1 main to cover potential stage weaknesses. It's entirely doable, even for solo mains, to participate in tournaments if the player has the skill and the knowledge.

For clarification, here is my potential list of legal stages with hazards off (given with what we know/can assume about what hazard toggle turns off) and how the random stage select + ban process would work in tournaments.

Battlefield (Including Miiverse, Midgar, Yoshi's Story)
Final Destination (Possibly including Arena Ferox and Willy Caslte [unsure if walls will disqualify])
Dreamland
Yoshi's Island [64] (If Stage Hazard removes the lingering clouds, or makes them untouchable)
Brinstar [Melee] (Assuming no acid and no breakable parts of the stage)
Green Greens [Melee] (Assuming no breakable blocks drop, leaving gaps between the platforms)
Jungle Japes [Melee] (Assuming no rushing water or random fish underneath platforms) *Yay, my favorite pasttime stage could be tournament legal!*
Pokemon Stadium [both 1 & 2]
Castle Siege [Brawl]
Frigate Orpheon [Brawl]
Lylat Cruise [Brawl] (Please let there be no tilting!)
Norfair [Brawl]
Smashville [Brawl]
Warioware Inc [Brawl] (Assuming that no mini-games don't appear)
Yoshi's Island [Brawl] (Assuming platform clouds don't appear)
Find Mii [3ds] (Assuming the Dark Emperor never shows up)
Reset Bomb Forrest [3ds]
Unova Pokemon League [3ds]
Kalos Pokemon League [Wii u]
Mushroom Kingdom U [Wii u]
Town and City [Wii u]
Wuhu island [Wii u]
Skyloft [Wii u]

With random stage pick + ban, the rounds at a tournament would go as followed. All illegal stages are turned off from the random stage switch, stage hazard is toggled off. Match 1, Players open up the random stage switch and each pick 1 legal stage to turn off (banning that stage), close random stage switch, and select random. Random legal stage is selected, players chose their fighters and start. Match 2, Players open up the stage switch again, winner selects 1 legal stage to turn off (aka ban), loser selects 2 legal stages to turn off (same rules apply in the event of a 3rd match), select random to chose a stage, chose their fighters and start.

In a typical best of 3 set, out of the 23 legal stages, either 5 stages will be banned (match ends 2-0) or 8 (match ends 2-1). Following the same rules above, in a best of 5 Grand Finals, either 8 stages will be banned (3-0) 11 stages (3-1) or 14 stages (3-2), leaving at minimum a whopping 9 stages still legal come the final match of a tournament. Current rule set in Smash 4, we only have 6 legal stages period. This is a very nice jump in legal stages.

Also, unlike how the stages reset in a current Smash 4 tournament set (after each match, players re-stage strike which often means they just re-strike the same stages over and over), each ban is permanent for the duration of that set. So, for instance, say player 2 bans Town and City during that banning process of game 1. Town and City would remain off for the rest of their set. This adds more weight to their ban choices.
It's not too bad an idea for stage selection. One thing I would add is depending on the number of stages which are tournament legal, we may need to change how many each player bans before a match i.e. if we do end up with 40 legal stages, then letting both players ban two stages to begin with, then letting winners ban two stages and losers ban four stages isn't bad because it means that we're left with 12 random stages if it goes to a fifth match.

However, the biggest issue I do see with this is is that it's random and therefore luck based. You can end up with sets where every stage picked is favourable to one player, which can result in the second player losing the set due to stage disadvantage, whereas if the stages were more "neutral", the second player may have won the set.

And yet, despite this flaw, I still think it's the best method of competitive stage selection we have for Ultimate. It might be there's a much better method out there, but we haven't seen it yet, or that even the best ideas aren't perfect.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
It's not too bad an idea for stage selection. One thing I would add is depending on the number of stages which are tournament legal, we may need to change how many each player bans before a match i.e. if we do end up with 40 legal stages, then letting both players ban two stages to begin with, then letting winners ban two stages and losers ban four stages isn't bad because it means that we're left with 12 random stages if it goes to a fifth match.

However, the biggest issue I do see with this is is that it's random and therefore luck based. You can end up with sets where every stage picked is favourable to one player, which can result in the second player losing the set due to stage disadvantage, whereas if the stages were more "neutral", the second player may have won the set.

And yet, despite this flaw, I still think it's the best method of competitive stage selection we have for Ultimate. It might be there's a much better method out there, but we haven't seen it yet, or that even the best ideas aren't perfect.

Thanks :) I agree that this is possibly the best set up we currently have for Ultimate, and the one issue with stage selection and being favorable that you bring up is true, but I think you are forgetting the fact that stages are chosen before you chose your fighter.

If the random stage is selected and shown prior to you chosing a fighter, you have the knowledge of what stage has been chosen in your discussion making. You can either chose a fighter you are good with that utilizes that stage well, or not. Say, I stick with Falco on a stage that doesn't work well towards him. I need to work harder to make Falco work for that stage, and if I lose, I didn't have the skill to best my opponent on a stage that I KNEW was bad for Falco, and yet still chose him. At that point it comes down to player error in picking their character instead of just luck.

So, I don't think it is that big of a concern. Players who already play multiple characters will just pick what character that favors that stage the most, while players who only play 1 or 2 characters (like me) will have to adapt and come up with new ideas to get around bad stages (that, or ban those stages from the set early to prevent a bad stage choice).

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
One question that dawned upon me is are we planning on incorporating Dave's Stupid Rule into this method? I wonder if instead of allowing the winner of a previous round to ban a stage and the loser to ban two stages, the stage played previously is just outright banned for that set and loser gets two stage bans.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
One question that dawned upon me is are we planning on incorporating Dave's Stupid Rule into this method? I wonder if instead of allowing the winner of a previous round to ban a stage and the loser to ban two stages, the stage played previously is just outright banned for that set and loser gets two stage bans.
Well I didn't know that that rule was a thing, so that is rather interesting.

I figured that by allowing the winner to also chose 1 stage to ban, it still gives the player that feeling of some sort of control over stage selection, even if they win. But if the community wanted to go with that rule instead of allowing the winner to ban a stage, I am all for it. It doesn't change things up that bad in the long run IMO

I'm sticking with my guns that we shouldn't over saturate the stage list even though hazard toggle makes it seem like there are now a vast amount of stages at our disposal. I think we can have better stages overall though and not be forced to simply use what's the best available like Melee and Sm4sh have had to deal with.
So giving it some more thought I still think 5 starters is the way to go. I think BATTLEFIELD and FINAL DESTINATION are obvious picks here. They are starters in Melee and Sm4sh. I'm leaving out Dreamland. The whole Whispy, is it going to be a toggled stage hazard raises some questions. But since the blast zones were shrunk to be much closer to that of BF, it's likely the blast zones will stay this way for sma5h and not return to the large blast zones they were in Melee.
The third starter is SMASHVILLE. It's been shown to be a very neutral stage, especially in Sm4sh where it kind of replaced BF as the typical go to starter. I'm removing Town & City for its similarity to Smashville. I know the two stages have differences but I'm trying to avoid multiple stages from the same game series, especially both as starters.
The fourth starter will be POKEMON STADIUM (NO HAZARDS) without transformations. This gives us a 2 platform stage to go along with our already 0, 1, and 3 platform stages. It is a counter-pick in Melee singles but a starter in Melee doubles so w/o transformations it can be a starter for both singles and doubles.
For the fifth starter the Melee player in me really wanted to put Yoshi's Story (Melee) but the stage has so little bottom platform I felt in the end that LYLAT CRUISE (NO HAZARDS) was a better fit. It still offers small blast zones but the 3 platforms vary more from BF's than does Yoshi's Story (Melee). No stage tilting would remove all the shenanigans as well.
Now for the counter-pick stages. While the starters I focused a lot on complete fairness, the counter-pick stages will have some more focus on what would be fun to play and to spectate.
So firstly we have WARIO WARE (NO HAZARDS). I was mildly tempted to make it a starter due to it having 4 platforms in place of Lylat giving us five stages with 0, 1, 2, 3 & 4 platforms. But ultimately decided the blast zones and the fact PM used it as a counter-pick and not a starter made it seem logical to follow that pattern.
Second, we have WILY CASTLE (NO HAZARDS). This is a stage people really looked forward to in Sm4sh bc of it's iconic feel and various platforms. Assuming toggling stage hazards keeps the platforms but removes the yellow devil I think this makes for a good counter-pick. It also replaces Town & City to an extent as the level with a variety of changing platforms.
Again, Yoshi's Story from Melee seemed like it could be good here. A second stage with the slanted edges seemed like it would be a good idea. But since competitive Brawl used YOSHI'S ISLAND (BRAWL) [NO HAZARDS]
it seemed like that would make it a better fit. Wario Ware has a fairly similar feel to Yoshi's Island (Melee) into the stage list, especially since its small size really impacts doubles play. So I didn't want to duplicate this.
Next, FRIGATE ORPHEON (NO HAZARDS). I was really tempted to put Brinstar (No Hazards) in this spot and I might change my mind and swap the two but in the end I felt Brinstar had fairly small blast zones off to the sides. Those small side blast zones were already there in Lylat, Wario Ware and Yoshi's. So I didn't want to over-saturate the stage list with too many tiny blast zones. Plus seeing this stage in action at the invitational made it seem like it could be a solid choice.
So I really wanted to get a new to sma5h stage in here but from what I have so far seen none stuck out as viable. I thought about Arena Ferox but some of the structures didn't seem to fit competitive play and with Wily and Frigate there didn't feel a need for a 3rd stage with lots of platform movement. So I decided upon CASTLE SIEGE (NO HAZARDS). I think this stage is viable with its 1st and 3rd transformation or just its base form. The 2nd transformation with the walk-offs and structures in the way was my big concern. I know PM toyed with removing the 2nd transformation for a while so I'd be okay with however the hazard toggle worked for this stage. It would also give a Fire Emblem stage, which I think is good considering how prevalent FE characters became in sm4sh.
As far as the starters go, I could see Stadium swapped out for something else and Stadium potentially used as a counter-pick as it is in Melee singles. But I feel very good about the other 4 starters. Where the counter-picks are concerned I like Wario Ware and Wily Castle a lot. So I feel confident in those two stages. I'm still very torn on Frigate Orpheon vs Brinstar, especially since once upon a time Brinstar was used in competitive Melee. I fear that even with hazards toggled off that might only affect the lava and the breakable parts in the middle of the stage could still be present which could present an issue. Plus having Frigate gives a slightly larger stage with more survivability instead of having a bunch of tiny stages. I could still see Yoshi's Island (Brawl) swapped out for Yoshi's Island (Melee) but that's probably just my personal bias. I feel pretty good about Castle Siege as well. I am mildly concerned with the lack of Yoshi's Island (Melee), Dreamland, Town & City and any sma5h stage. Another mild concern I have is the reliance on stage hazard toggle. But personally, even playing casually I can't imagine playing Wily Castle and wanting yellow devil there or Wario Ware mini games or Frigate flipping and getting people killed.
In Melee singles you only have 1 counter-pick and doubles has no counter-pick stages, and no stage bans in a best of 5. Sm4sh has the same thing with 5 starters and only 1 counter-pick of Dreamland which is fairly similar to Battlefield anyways. Both games utilize 1 stage ban for bo3 and no bans for bo5. I think there's a lot of risk in adding 5 counter-pick stages. I could easily see limiting it to 2 or 3 (removing Yoshi's and Frigate, potentially Castle Siege) as more viable options. As having only 2 counter-pick stages could keep the stage ban rules uniform throughout Melee, Sm4sh and Sma5h. I do think with an increased stage list to choose from (3 to 5 counter-picks) that stage bans should become commonplace in both bo3 and bo5. Two stage bans for bo3 and one ban for bo5 seems like it would make a lot of sense.
Overall I think this or something similar to this stage list would be great. It utilizes a lot of familiarity with the competitive stages that have been used in recent years across multiple smash games while adding stages competitive Brawl and Project M used as well. Thus, I believe it would help bridge some of the gaps that have formed from different smash titles and give everyone something but still keeping the focus more on the more current generation aka sm4sh players.
I also believe this stage list would give a good mix of songs. Not having half the matches be animal crossing songs would be a nice change =P
Why do you think that process would be better over the random stage selection + ban method that I laid out?

Given how the hazard toggle DOES make many stages that were banned for hazards now potentially legal stages, and that we chose a stage before we chose a character, I don't see why we should continue to use the same formula that we have had for Smash 4. IMO, it just doesn't fit nicely into what Ultimate is giving us in terms of stages.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
If we want smash to become bigger, we need to appeal to more people.

Using more stages, it brings way more variety, and it lowers a supposed barrier.

The recent Smash tournament really showcased this, in that the hazard toggle being off, and having really unique stages created for some really exciting gameplay, and it made each match unique with a lot of character and stage variety.

If competitive smash wants to grow, we need some more diversity here.

I agree with Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos .
With stage picking happening before character selection, there is no means to complain about unfair matchups on stages. We should use every single stage we possibly can, instead of Smashville over and over.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
A rotating stage list based on seasons...that does seem cool.
Alphas, omegas, PS, SV and Yoshi could probably be cores, with a cycling of the CP options every month by TOs in the backroom. Maybe even themed if we have Sagas to consider as well.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
Well I didn't know that that rule was a thing, so that is rather interesting.
I figured that by allowing the winner to also chose 1 stage to ban, it still gives the player that feeling of some sort of control over stage selection, even if they win. But if the community wanted to go with that rule instead of allowing the winner to ban a stage, I am all for it. It doesn't change things up that bad in the long run IMO
Why do you think that process would be better over the random stage selection + ban method that I laid out?
Two reasons. Firstly whenever you add an element of randomness you take something away from its competitiveness. The more you add any RNG into something you take a little bit of the pure skill aspect out of something. It's similar to how people don't like random weapon drops in shooters. The random stage selection idea you propose isn't inherently bad, in fact playing the game casually I'd remove all the awful stages turn hazards off and play random with my friends, I think it's a great way to play, but I just don't think it is the best for competitive.
Secondly, with the sheer number of potential stages we will have I think it could be very easy to forget to turn a stage back on between sets. It would be really difficult for TO's to keep track of and very easy for players to miss a stage. Unless the devs gave us a separate list of "competitive" stages to choose from I just think it would be too hard for people to keep track off.

I'm not sure how tournaments will go about choosing stages and how many stages they will use. We've always had the issue of not enough viable stages and now it seems like we are most definitely going to have the issue of too many viable stages. It's a great problem to have but it's still could be a problem. While more stages is typically better from a spectator perspective rules should primarily focus on what's best for the competitors. That's just my opinion. I understand there's a lot of appeal in having more stage variety. Especially with all the Animal Crossing music sm4sh tournies typically subject us to. =P

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The idea that randomness is inherently anti-competitive is flawed, and the idea that tiny stage lists have ever resulted in the most "neutral" stage is also flawed. Let me get at both ideas as such:

What is the real goal of our stage 1 selection procedure? We do want to select a stage generally fair to both players sure. Why would we ever believe a list of just five stages could create that result? Just take a large list of stages from whichever smash game you are most familiar with and rank the stages for your favorite character's preferences from most favorable to least favorable. Where will Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville fall on your list? I can pretty much guarantee FD will be kinda close to one of the two extreme ends of the list depending on your character, SV is probably kinda close to FD most of the time but sometimes just radically out there (I had a Sonic main friend in 4 who often explained, sometimes in long rants, how he thought Smashville super specifically just screwed him as long as his opponent was smart enough to camp the platform), and BF is quite unpredictable (it was basically my top stage as Rosalina in 4, was only slightly above average average as G&W in Brawl). If you are knowledgable enough to do this with several characters you will probably notice that certain things create huge asymmetries between different lists. You notice your Sonic list is basically a ranking of stage size, your Rosalina list is a ranking of which stages have the greatest percentage of the stage covered by low hanging platforms, your Little Mac list a ranking of which stages require the least jumping, your Olimar ranking almost literally an inverse of that Rosalina ranking, your Sheik ranking favoring proximity of standable ground to blast zones which none of these other dudes even cared about... You aren't going to find a middle five stages; the middle five for one character are very likely on the extreme ends of the scale for another. Any small list has inherent large biases this way, and if you strike from five stages, it doesn't even matter if a character is notably strong on one or two of those stages if they're bad on three of them they're just screwed. A large list doesn't have these inherent biases, and while striking is impractical from a large list, the brilliance of stage before character is that you can use multi-main strats (which most strong players will do anyway in a game with 66+ characters) to guarantee a good situation.

I also have to point out that random stage game one is basically universally accepted in every fighting game other than Smash and that it was the way things were done in Melee for many years (Melee MLG for those like me old enough to remember). It's not really unfair since both players have a full chance to react, and we even have multiple ideas on the table to further reduce skew (old Melee rules allowed either player to once and only once declare a do-over for game one's random stage pick, and Galgatha's proposal of doing stage bans as the very first thing in a set and excluding them from random may be even better, but I'd definitely simplify to just ban at the start of a set probably a small number of bans, I suggest 2 in a 1-2-1 sequence, and then not ban anymore).

I've seen seasons floated a lot of times, including by some very strong players. It sounds appealing at first which is why I think it keeps getting suggested, but if you think about it more and really play through how everything will go if we do this, it's a terrible, terrible idea. There are two main horrible flaws with this idea, either one bad enough to hopefully permanently shelve it. Flaw one is that some committee has to decide which stages are on which season and what the cut-offs for seasons are, and that's going to be a terrible, political process. These details are going to matter a lot to the particulars of how things play out at any given tournament and there will be a lot of money riding on these decisions; it will be a corrupt power struggle the whole way that will probably result in the biggest region or two just making 100% of the decisions eventually and will upset almost everyone before it's done. If you don't think that's so, just try to think what happens when you're the dude who really disagrees with the season being 4 months instead of 6 or Lylat being in season 2 instead of Pokemon Stadium and ask what you can do about it. If you're a powerful TO from a huge region you can probably just make what you want happen. If you're a top player you can get on the phone and sway some things. If you're a mid tier player from the Midwest, you just gotta hold that L since you're not going to do anything about it. The second problem is kinda related; the tier list is probably not going to be static seasonal stage list to seasonal stage list. Again this is a big money affair; when a player's best character drops from high tier to mid tier because a new season's stage list is just a lot less favorable, that guts that player's ability to win in tournaments. This will for one pressure an even greater rush to top tier than usual (since top tier will probably be the most insulated from the ripples of the stage list shifting, until only some of the top tiers but not all of them get nerfed by Sakurai, and then everyone is angry). For two if you're on the losing end of this it probably will just make you want to quit (doing worse because the rules changed is simply not fun), and played out over several seasons, this will have a very large depressing effect on turnout.

As per the logistics of remembering which stages to have on, this is easy. You make print-outs and put them at every station. If either player is concerned about the stage selection being just right, that player will point to the printout and make it happen quickly, easily, and drama free. If neither player really cares all that much, there will be no harm no foul if one stage doesn't get turned on or whatever. There's not really a circumstance where the wrong stages are on and it creates a victim here as long as the TO is minimally competent enough to just make print-outs which is a super obvious thing to do that I think a lot of TOs already do anyway.

I'd also like to specifically respond to the idea that more stages being legal is less beginner friendly. Come on now; you have to know that's bunk. Since when do beginners go and practice on all of the stages before entering tournaments? Since never is the answer here. Experts hyper concentrate practice on legal stages in order to be maximally prepared for events. Beginners just rock with whatever and improv based on general game knowledge. A larger stage list is a slight benefit to the beginners if anything, but of course, this is a much smaller effect than the million other reasons the experts still have a great advantage.

As per DSR, since stage is counterpicked after game one, it can just apply without making an issue. It's not really much of a complicating factor, but honestly, I'm not sure that DSR is a terribly important thing anyway as long as all sets are best of three (which is really how it should be; Bo5 finals is a terrible idea that holds up tournaments a lot for questionable gameplay outcomes). It's a smaller point that I think is the kind of thing you look into honing after the main rules that really determine how things play are set down.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I've seen seasons floated a lot of times, including by some very strong players. It sounds appealing at first which is why I think it keeps getting suggested, but if you think about it more and really play through how everything will go if we do this, it's a terrible, terrible idea. There are two main horrible flaws with this idea, either one bad enough to hopefully permanently shelve it. Flaw one is that some committee has to decide which stages are on which season and what the cut-offs for seasons are, and that's going to be a terrible, political process. These details are going to matter a lot to the particulars of how things play out at any given tournament and there will be a lot of money riding on these decisions; it will be a corrupt power struggle the whole way that will probably result in the biggest region or two just making 100% of the decisions eventually and will upset almost everyone before it's done. If you don't think that's so, just try to think what happens when you're the dude who really disagrees with the season being 4 months instead of 6 or Lylat being in season 2 instead of Pokemon Stadium and ask what you can do about it. If you're a powerful TO from a huge region you can probably just make what you want happen. If you're a top player you can get on the phone and sway some things. If you're a mid tier player from the Midwest, you just gotta hold that L since you're not going to do anything about it. The second problem is kinda related; the tier list is probably not going to be static seasonal stage list to seasonal stage list. Again this is a big money affair; when a player's best character drops from high tier to mid tier because a new season's stage list is just a lot less favorable, that guts that player's ability to win in tournaments. This will for one pressure an even greater rush to top tier than usual (since top tier will probably be the most insulated from the ripples of the stage list shifting, until only some of the top tiers but not all of them get nerfed by Sakurai, and then everyone is angry). For two if you're on the losing end of this it probably will just make you want to quit (doing worse because the rules changed is simply not fun), and played out over several seasons, this will have a very large depressing effect on turnout.
Most of these arguments aren't really as relevant as you think they might be. Sure there will have to be some form of governing body to decide things, but that's always been the case. How long did the debate of 2 stock vs 3 stock go on for Smash 4? The legality of customs? And of course TOs and pros had far more say in those things than the average player, but that's to be expected.

And the idea behind any grouping of stages should be to have as much variety as possible in a given season. If a certain set of stages heavily favors one playstyle, then something has gone terribly wrong, and I would expect other TOs and major figures to recognize it and fix it. But even then, a core set of "neutral" stages that are in every season would mitigate the issue somewhat.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Most of these arguments aren't really as relevant as you think they might be. Sure there will have to be some form of governing body to decide things, but that's always been the case. How long did the debate of 2 stock vs 3 stock go on for Smash 4? The legality of customs? And of course TOs and pros had far more say in those things than the average player, but that's to be expected.

And the idea behind any grouping of stages should be to have as much variety as possible in a given season. If a certain set of stages heavily favors one playstyle, then something has gone terribly wrong, and I would expect other TOs and major figures to recognize it and fix it. But even then, a core set of "neutral" stages that are in every season would mitigate the issue somewhat.
Smash does not have a governing body, and it has never really made decisions in an organized manner. TOs just kinda make their own independent decisions, and over time smaller events tend to mimic larger events and eventually things end up looking pretty similar. The back room is real (I've been in it), but it's not really a decision making place so much as an idea chamber. Some big ideas either from there or from elsewhere have worked their way into actual tournament play over the years; stage striking may be the single biggest one (an invention of early Brawl), and customs were actually pretty close to being there until some power plays decided to shut the whole thing down. The point is that it's not some simple clean governing body. It's a messy, undefined process usually defined by loud internet arguments, powerful figures, and all kinds of backdoor discussions involving all kinds of personal connections (top players have so much influence because they tend to be personal friends of the most powerful TOs). We probably can't escape this completely (we're not going to elect Smash Congress anytime soon, and we do have to make decisions so how else could it be?), but why would we ever want to multiply by several times the amount of this nonsense we have to deal with? It's just hurt feelings, constant drama, constant politics, people getting fed up and quitting, and TOs who aren't happy with how things turn out disregarding it all and doing what they think is better which would make the most probable outcome of even trying to do seasons that it wouldn't ever actually happen when too many TOs just declined to go along anyway. Best to just avoid this trainwreck altogether.

A small group of stages can't help but favor some playstyles or characters distinctly over others is my other point. Any stage list has winners and losers, and the smaller the list, the greater the swing of every inclusion, and since different characters (or different playstyles) value the stages so differently and non-linearly, a small list can't help but stack itself completely in favor of a few things and completely against some others. A core set of "neutral" stages is just enshrining one outcome as the true optimum and making the seasonal rotation mostly irrelevant which probably would eventually result in it being dropped in favor of just banning everything but those "neutral" stages even if somehow everything else went well (top players are extremely disinclined to learn things that they don't trust are going to matter in the long term, and stuff top players don't view as worth dealing with isn't stuff that tends to have a great legality future). Smash ultimate is doing us a huge favor here by giving a hazards off toggle and letting us use a large stage pool and from there any minor inequities can really fairly and honestly be called just what the game itself truly is. Using smaller stage lists is throwing away the single biggest benefit that we're being given here, and that's true whether we rotate with seasons or just arbitrarily ban most things because we don't like the idea of having too much legal.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Under the presumption that Amazing Ampharos's stage ruling gets implemented, do you think it'd be a good idea to keep the gentleman's clause? Like if one player suggests a stage and the other agrees to it, should they be allowed to play that stage, or do you think this would have an adverse effect, perhaps leading to the sentiment of "We only play on these stages anyway, let's just ban all the others," or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Under the presumption that Amazing Ampharos's stage ruling gets implemented, do you think it'd be a good idea to keep the gentleman's clause? Like if one player suggests a stage and the other agrees to it, should they be allowed to play that stage, or do you think this would have an adverse effect, perhaps leading to the sentiment of "We only play on these stages anyway, let's just ban all the others," or something?
My initial impression is that since Gentleman's always involves the two players agreeing to the same stage, it's just a shortcut through whatever process would ultimately lead to the same result.

That said, while I would hope "lack of playtime" is never taken seriously as a reason to ban a stage, I have to admit I don't have a lot of faith in that belief.

Edit for formatting tags.

Last edited:

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
So a lot of people have made arguments against my opinion of limiting the number of stages. I've had a slight change of heart. M2K said that we should start big and give as many stages as possible a chance. That without a sample size we can't really tell how viable a stage will be. Now I still believe the most fair thing for the players is not as many stages as possible and that in the long run we will remove stages for whatever reason. 64, Melee, Sm4sh, they all went through phases of trying stages that in the end weren't conducive to fair competitive play and were thus removed. Now I think we can take what we've learned from many of these stages and not repeat the same "mistakes."

While I still think my proposed set-up would be better right away as there would be less potential for jank/shenanigans I acknowledge that it might not be in the best interest of the game long term as it wouldn't be giving a lot of stages a chance. Whether or not having 7 stages or 17 stages being better for competitive play I think only time will tell. By using as many stages as possible we do open ourselves as a community to growing pains, to certain stages being used heavily in favor for against a certain character, a stage being banned in one place and used in another and there being a lack of unified stage lists used at tournaments. But I do have faith that eventually people will come to an agreement on what's best.
There might be some struggles along on the way of people enduring stages they think should be banned but hopefully rules can be made decisively and all tournaments will adopt the same ruleset and help keep the community unified.

My biggest fear is that with such a large cast of characters and so many stages that certain MU's on certain stages will be very lopsided (and I don't mean like a Melee oh Marth wins 60:40 on FD or Puff wins 60:40 on DL kinda thing). Bayo killing X character on Y stage at 40%, character A can't approach character B safely on C stage bc they can camp, or Metaknight can completely avoid certain characters on a certain stage and camp them out if he gets a percent lead. There are a lot of bad things that can happen by using a lot of stages.
Patches also play a big role. I think stages are very unlikely to see any changes unless there's some game breaking glitch. But characters are very likely to receive buffs/nerfs and high level competitive play typically shows the character imbalances the most IMO compared to say For Glory win rates.
There are just a lot of variables at play and I'm really afraid there are going to be exploitable gimmicks for some characters we will have to endure. But the game does look like it will be far more balanced at launch than sm4sh was so hopefully we won't a monthly balance patch to fix very broken problems and it'll just be slight tweaks.

I also fear we will be open to trying too many stages. Stages that clearly have some imbalance, you'd play them casually with your friend, but they probably shouldn't be in tournies. Stages like Spear Pillar(even without hazards), Saffron City, Great Plateau Tower etc.

I still don't love the idea of using random select to choose stages. I also don't love the concept of 'a certain character not being viable on a stage but you can pick someone else' as an excuse to keep a stage legal. I think of any character simply can't play on a stage (and I mean like Ganon on Duck Hunt bad) that stage shouldn't be used.
But clearly, the people want more stages so maybe we should at least try them out competitively.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So a lot of people have made arguments against my opinion of limiting the number of stages. I've had a slight change of heart. M2K said that we should start big and give as many stages as possible a chance. That without a sample size we can't really tell how viable a stage will be. Now I still believe the most fair thing for the players is not as many stages as possible and that in the long run we will remove stages for whatever reason. 64, Melee, Sm4sh, they all went through phases of trying stages that in the end weren't conducive to fair competitive play and were thus removed. Now I think we can take what we've learned from many of these stages and not repeat the same "mistakes."

While I still think my proposed set-up would be better right away as there would be less potential for jank/shenanigans I acknowledge that it might not be in the best interest of the game long term as it wouldn't be giving a lot of stages a chance. Whether or not having 7 stages or 17 stages being better for competitive play I think only time will tell. By using as many stages as possible we do open ourselves as a community to growing pains, to certain stages being used heavily in favor for against a certain character, a stage being banned in one place and used in another and there being a lack of unified stage lists used at tournaments. But I do have faith that eventually people will come to an agreement on what's best.
There might be some struggles along on the way of people enduring stages they think should be banned but hopefully rules can be made decisively and all tournaments will adopt the same ruleset and help keep the community unified.

My biggest fear is that with such a large cast of characters and so many stages that certain MU's on certain stages will be very lopsided (and I don't mean like a Melee oh Marth wins 60:40 on FD or Puff wins 60:40 on DL kinda thing). Bayo killing X character on Y stage at 40%, character A can't approach character B safely on C stage bc they can camp, or Metaknight can completely avoid certain characters on a certain stage and camp them out if he gets a percent lead. There are a lot of bad things that can happen by using a lot of stages.
Patches also play a big role. I think stages are very unlikely to see any changes unless there's some game breaking glitch. But characters are very likely to receive buffs/nerfs and high level competitive play typically shows the character imbalances the most IMO compared to say For Glory win rates.
There are just a lot of variables at play and I'm really afraid there are going to be exploitable gimmicks for some characters we will have to endure. But the game does look like it will be far more balanced at launch than sm4sh was so hopefully we won't a monthly balance patch to fix very broken problems and it'll just be slight tweaks.

I also fear we will be open to trying too many stages. Stages that clearly have some imbalance, you'd play them casually with your friend, but they probably shouldn't be in tournies. Stages like Spear Pillar(even without hazards), Saffron City, Great Plateau Tower etc.

I still don't love the idea of using random select to choose stages. I also don't love the concept of 'a certain character not being viable on a stage but you can pick someone else' as an excuse to keep a stage legal. I think of any character simply can't play on a stage (and I mean like Ganon on Duck Hunt bad) that stage shouldn't be used.
But clearly, the people want more stages so maybe we should at least try them out competitively.
We don’t have to worry about character match ups at all considering that you choose the stage before choosing the character. Character Matchups that are unfavorable will not exist, to players that play it smart. It will not happen. Also, this will give versatility to a greater amount of characters, and allow more of the roster to shine as well.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I still personally don't think anything is going to change as far as stage choosing before character. Assuming tournaments run similarly to have they have for years of both characters blind picking characters to start then striking to a stage, then after game 1 (winner bans if bans are available) loser of previous game picks stage, winner of previous game picks character, then loser of previous game picks character. (excluding port selection bc who bothers to switch ports mid set?). Unless we decide to use random stage selection in the process which could change how people choose characters I don't expect the game letting you select stage 1st making any difference. We've been playing select stage first anyways for all but the first game of any set.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I myself like the idea of using as many stages as possible. We've never had a game with massive stage variety and it's worth exploring what we can do. I do also think that we're going to have to overhaul the counter picking process since it's already pretty time consuming to do it the way we already are. The suggested idea of loser banning 2 stages and winner banning 1 sounds promising, and while I do find the concept of random stages like tekken being very good, I don't think it would work out because if you can't see what you pick selecting the proper character would be a bit of a dice roll as in smash stages have a greater effect on a character's performance. Unless of course we get some kind of app or something that lets us do our counter picking and chooses a random stage, which then we can just select on screen. But I don't really think using an external service to help you set up a tourney match is very prudent either.

Whatever we do though, I'm definitely in the camp of cramming and testing now and making changes later if need be. We've never been so free to chose so many stages and we should at least give them a chance to see what sticks. People may hate waiting before matches start, but they hate seeing the same stages over and over again as well.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think the ideal number is somewhere around what Project M does. Project M has a bunch of potentially legal stages, yet they still stick to 9-10 legal stages, and I think Smash Ultimate should do the same (for tournament play, for casual play you can play whatever). I suppose it might be a difficult process to determine which 9-10 stages should be legal, but I think it's doable.

I'm a bit worried the community will go overboard and cram in as many stages as possible because it's new and fresh and all that. Just because we can do that doesn't mean we should.

Now, keep in mind that I consider this a kind of long term goal. Perhaps it might be best to start with a stage list of 20 stages or so (or maybe even more) and then cut it down over time, until we reach the optimal amount of stages (which will likely be something like 9-10). We probably shouldn't test stages (or at least not spend much time testing) that we already know are bad, like Duck Hunt, or non-hazard Delfino Plaza, or Kongo Jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom