• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*discovery* FINALLY a use for wing cancelling: platform wing cancel

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
it's simple. it works like wavelanding onto platforms in melee to chase after people's platform wakeup options but since brawl doesn't let you do that pit can wing cancel onto platforms and use it in the same sense. i know there's platform cancelling on moving platforms but pit's wing cancel can be done on ANY platform not just moving ones. too good? i think so. i'll test this out next time i get the chance to play good people.

for people who couldn't imagine what i'm talking about. go to battlefield and
-full hop under a platform
-when you're a little above the platform level press up+b
-d-air to cancel
-punish opponent =]

why is pit so good? =D

EDIT: more stuff i figured out. instead of cancelling the up+b you can go straight off wing renewal off the platform. unlike regular platform cancelling where you can only do it from your first jump platform wing cancel can be done out of ANY jump since you can up+b out of any of your jumps. this gives better positioning under the platforms and keep delays between jump for mindgames... sorta. wing renewal activates when you up+b so even when you get hit it won't cost you your life. wing push is still active(something to keep in mind)

there's many other possibilities from cancelling or not cancelling this so i'll leave this at that for now.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Very cool. Another Thing I found is that this can be applied as a good edge hogging technique. Up B allows you to quickly glide to the edge and grab it faster than running and dropping of the edge. Plus it gives you the option to attack while keeping all of your recovery options.

Ares_Omega

Smash Rookie
I know I sound dumb, but I'm behind on technical terms, so can you dumb it down for me to understand?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Very cool. I want to point out that you don't have to use Dair to cancel the wings. You can also use Uair and Nair.
-Uair canceling is good for using an Up tilt out of the cancel and
-Dair canceling is good for using a Down tilt attack.
-Use Nair canceling is good for neutral attacks as well as ALL Smashes.

I'm starting to see the possibilities unfold. Its cool!

SENG

Smash Journeyman
oh man justin i know ur itching to test this out on ppl =P. sigh only if other characters can do something like this -___-

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
lmnz, thanks for sharing. I will practice this and merge it into my arsenal. Much appreciated!

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have tried this yesterday against my friend and I have to say this is Awesome! This AT is sooo much fun and really helps out. I killed my friend with a string of combos using this and the standard Moving Platform Cancel.
This whole wing renewal has great potential! Thanks for sharing!

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Are there any new combos opened up by this? Could you Down-throw someone underneath a platform, and use WPC to Up-smash him instead of U-air?

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
i'm still testing its uses but there's many ways to chase people down with this. i sometimes use it to grab people off platforms that expect me to u-air them underneath etc.

Kmaru

Smash Cadet
Cool i cant wait to try this against snake I HATE SNAKE

Top Bottom