• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disc-read error with Brawl. THIS IS WHY.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
SHORT ANSWER: Your Wii's lens is too dirty to read dual layered discs, send it too Nintendo to have it cleaned free of charge. Call Customer Service at 1-800-255-3700 or go to support.nintendo.com - http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/repair_form_us_ssbb.jsp or you could try canned air since it is safe around electronics.

I work at Best Buy and was told to hand out copies of a notice from Nintendo with every copy of Brawl that we sell.
Straight from Nintendo:

"Nintendo Marketing Update
March 5, 2008

Dear Nintendo Customer,

Nintendo of America has received some reports that a very small percentage of Wii consoles cannot properly read the dual-layered disc for the new Super Smash Bros. Brawl game. Upon examination, Nintendo has preliminarily determined that this disc-read error is caused by the soiling of the consoles' optical lens by environmental factors such as excessive dust and cigarette smoke. Nintendo is offering to clean these systems free of charge, and recommends that consumers do not attempt to clean the systems on their own. Information regarding the cleaning service can be found at support.nintendo.com or by calling customer service at 1-800-255-3700.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.

Scott Bell
Director of Channel Marketing"

Tampering with your Wii while trying to clean it may void the warranty so I don't suggest doing that. :ohwell:

Yeah it sucks but at least Nintendo is doing the right thing and fixing it free of charge.

CO18

Smash Hero
Thanks for posting this. I dont have the problem but people who do need to see this.

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
to the ******* who said, we dont need a million threads about this. some people are having this problem and out of all the ****ing posts about it, this one was the most informitive, so shut your ****ing mouth or i will kill your whole ****ing family and eat your babies.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
My warrenty is expired, so should i just try to fix it myself anyway? Or is it free for everyone who sends it it?

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Is there any other effective way to clean the lens besides sending it back?

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
If this happens to me, I will **** enough bricks to build a house. Enough bricks to build a mansion. Some of my **** will be so watery, in fact, that I will be able to use it to cement the bricks together, with a trowel made of my own sculpted ****.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
If this happens to me, I will **** enough bricks to build a house. Enough bricks to build a mansion. Some of my **** will be so watery, in fact, that I will be able to use it to cement the bricks together, with a trowel made of my own sculpted ****.
Well I think we all know what business you're going into.

Well you could blown in the system. Try that? I mean it is a Nintendo console..
Lolz. Thats the truth, its a ninty system so I guess that HAS so work right? I'll probably use a lens cleaner.

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
Gack o.o
Now I'm really scared.
My Wii had problems reading the Fire Emblem amd MP3 discs as well >< and the worst thing is, I live in HK, so it's kind of hard to get it fized by Nintendo...
I hope it works ><

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
Gack o.o
Now I'm really scared.
My Wii had problems reading the Fire Emblem amd MP3 discs as well >< and the worst thing is, I live in HK, so it's kind of hard to get it fized by Nintendo...
I hope it works ><
Ouch... good luck man.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
im slightly worried now...

noone in my house smokes so theres no danger there, but i do occasionally find a lot of dust resting on the top of my wii.

how much chance is there that enough dust will get in to stop brawl working? i cant see how much dust could gain access to the lens.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I got the same problems, except mine is the japanese version. Sent my wii for repairs, the guys said two days, now a week has already passed, but they still havent fix yet.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I got the same problems, except mine is the japanese version. Sent my wii for repairs, the guys said two days, now a week has already passed, but they still havent fix yet.
Seriously??!? Damm...
Man, two years of waiting, just for this to happen :|

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I've heard that a gas duster AKA canned air is meant to help. It's designed specifcally to clean electronics, either open up your wii and clean it that way or simply shove it nozzle through the disc opening.

I'm pretty certain that my wii will be affected, despite not lighting an incence stick in my room for about 6 week I'm pretty certain that my wii will be affected.

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Do u know that a third of wii cannot read the disc. The ratio is 3:1
Where are you getting that number?

**EDIT

While I understand this is an english language forum, why had we not heard about this problem being so widespread until now?

Surely this problem would be equally rampant in Japan? If it was truly all that common, wouldn't we know about it already?

lazychi

Smash Cadet
I have the same problem but i have a question. I have a wii key installed for when i was playing the Japanese Version, should i still send it in?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
No, modded wii cannot be sent. They will keep it! Just kidding. But the answer is still no.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, if this happens to me, i will honestly call up nintendo and cuss my *** off... because those stupid ***es should have tested this stuff out

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
My thoughts exactly

I'm no electronics expert but in the case of canned air you really have nothing to lose. It's used on electronics alot and it leaves no residue.

I've also heard someone say that they ran there disc under the tap (!) and it worked. THAT is something I wouldn't wanna try.

Top Bottom