• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disappointment

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Last year at E3 2005, Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo, addressed fans’ concerns about the next game in Nintendo’s hugely popular <em>Super Smash Brothers</em> series. He told the crowd that he was “pushing” for the game to be a launch title.

Naturally, with only this information as a source, all fans of the <em>Super Smash Brothers</em> series sat in eager anticipation of Nintendo’s E3 2006 press conference. As the show went on, and no mention of the series was heard, fans assumed that they were saving the trailer for this hugely anticipated game for last, as they had done with the <em>Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess</em> trailer at E3 2004.

However, to everyone’s disappointment, no mention of the game was ever heard. The series wasn’t talked about… it was simply forgotten.

There was a ton of great games on display, no doubts there. Especially after Sony’s fairly lackluster presention on Monday, Nintendo’s was a breath of fresh air. They showed playable demos of dozens of games, and revealed sequels to critically acclaimed games that no one expected. Some of the surprises included sequels to <em>Diddy King Racing</em>, <em>Starfox</em>, and <em>Yoshi’s Island</em> on Nintendo’s DS. Ubisoft came in from France (oui… or rather Wii, France ;)) to do an extensive demo of <em>Red Steel</em>, a game which combined first-person shooter gunplay with sword-fighting, and made great use of the Wiimote controller. <em>The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess</em> was also demoed, showing the extensive functionality of the Wiimote for use with pretty much all of the in-game items (not to worry Gamecube owners, a version is coming out for both consoles, the Wii and the Gamecube).

Also previewed (briefly) was <em>Super Mario Galaxy</em>, which will serve as Mario’s next step in the 3D platforming world. All gameplay is done, of course, using the unique Wiimote controller.

However, with the conference ending with not a trailer for the sequel to everyone’s favorite Nintendo franchise, but with Satoru Iwata, Reggie Fils-Aime, Shigeru Miyamoto, and a sweepstakes winner playing a version of tennis with the Wiimote, we fans of <em>Super Smash Brothers</em> can’t help but feel let down. Last year, we were told that the sequel to <em>Super Smash Brothers: Melee</em> was being “pushed” as a launch title. And now, an entire year later, no mention is even made of the game.

So, what can fans conclude from this? First, the sequel to <em>Super Smash Brothers: Melee</em> is not coming this year. If the game were being released this year, enough of it would be finished at least to show a video of some of the gameplay. We can assume that, in an attempt to find the correct control scheme for the game, Nintendo has had to delay the game into 2007.

Some people have asked whether the sequel to Melee may just be on the show floor, and that Nintendo just didn’t put it in their conference.

Don’t count on it. The pre-E3 press conference, not just for Nintendo, but for all companies, is their big chance to really show off. They reveal all their upcoming games, big surprises, basically anything they can to make them look just a little bit better than their competitors. <em>Super Smash Brothers: Melee</em> was the best-selling Gamecube game of all time. The sequel, with next-generation graphics and an innovative new controller, is one of if not THE most highly anticipated game for Nintendo’s Wii. If Nintendo had had something, anything, to show for the game, they would have shown it at their press conference.

So, sit tight, fellow gamers. Hopefully, a reporter for some website or magazine will catch someone with Nintendo and ask them how our favorite franchise is fairing. Until then, we’ll just have to keep an ear to the ground, trying to pick up any information about the new game.

Try not to be too disappointed though. In the words of the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, “A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever.”

K

Kais (SWF)

Not much to say but to agree. I would have loved to hear about maybe a couple new characters at least. Why wouldn’t Nintendo at least mention that it isn’t coming out til ‘07 as opposed to essentially “forgetting” in front of the fans?

~Kais

F

Final Atomic Buster

Bill Trinen said something about <i>“… one of the secrets of the Wiimote…”</i> when they were demoing Zelda. This hints that there could be more secrets on top of the speaker on the controller. (I’m hoping the last secret isn’t the retro shell, even though that is pretty cool.) Now, what if one of (if not the rest of) these secrets are integral to Smash Wii’s gameplay? If this was the case, and Nintendo want to keep this it secret for just a while longer before another company steals another one of their ideas, then that would be a pretty good reason to not show the game.

In fact, I’m pretty confident that this is the case. Think about it: last year, Nintendo announced that they employed a ton of new staff, into a new <b>building</b> and practically formed a whole new company just for the production of the next Smash Bros game. Surely there is <i>something</i> done on it by now.

Nintendo are the best secret holders in the world. CIA, MI6 and CTU could learn a thing or two from them ;). I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo has got Smash Wii hidden up their sleave. Actually, thinking about it, strategically doing their conference after Sony (their biggest threat) allows them to change their conference at the last minute should they need to. Maybe they did have Smash Wii ready to go, but seeing as how lackluster Sony’s presentation was, they decided that they could do well without it.

Just my conspiracy theories :).

E

Etra

Even though Nintendo did, indeed, employ a full staff into a new building last year, doesn’t fully mean the game is near demoing. Nintendo only started on the game last year, even though they do have full access to N64 and GC SSB files, the game shouldn’t be even close to demo availability. As games do take years to make, and the new SSB series with it’s own full time staff is no exception…

…As, I’m sure, only the core coding and models/”maps” for the game are done by now. Just getting all the tweaks, graphic errors, online play, Wii controler compatability, and what not worked out can take quite some time. Say, January-ish 2007? ;)

Although, this is just my opinion. =X

J

Jo Jo

can you put some pictures of the game and of the old and new characters on this website please?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
We will of course be updating the website with characters and pictures when those are released to the public. We are not affiliated with Nintendo, so we can’t get those things faster than anyone else.

J

Jo Jo

will you be putting walugi in the game because if you put wario in the game then you should put walugi in the game it is only fare so will you be or not?

J

Jo Jo

oh and one more question if the nintendo dogs are going to be on the new super smash bros that is coming out will we be able to punch them or something when they block the screen?

D

Dark Link

Can the Wii play Nintendo 64 games and GameCube games on it?

Q

Quinny

I’ve also heard about there being a building just for SSBrawl. I think they just want everyone hyped and will try to release as little info as they can about it. I just hope it doesn’t delay too long and lose people’s interest.

D

Dark Link

can you put the stages music,more pictures,more music,more movies, and more characters in the game on this website please?

D

Dark Link

Guess what I just found out today someone told me that the Wii can play both N64 games and Gamecube games and I think that the N64 controllers can fit into the Wii too just like the Gamecube controllers

PS: But I am just guessing about this though because both controllers have the same buttons and are the same

S

Shadow Mario

but the gamecube controls are difinnly going to fit with the Wii

S

Shadow Mario

I ment I am just guessing about the N64 controls fiting in the Wii

M

Mathew

Knowing that SSBB was “pushed” into being a lauch title, it might not be such a good game.

T

The Mario fan Boy

If they kept this game and made it a launch title than it would have felt unfinished or rushed. Waiting for the game is hard enough but having the game not as good as it could be would just kill me.

F

fox mccloud

I think alot of things should be in the game. Maybe… …Fox McCloud, General Scales, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet. The stages should be like… ….Isle Delfino, Luigi’s Mansion, Forsaken Fortress, ThornTail Hollow, and the X-Naut Fortress. The characters I’m really hoping to be in there are Sly Cooper and Fox McCloud. If they ever decide to put Ganondorf back, it’ll be maybe cool to play him cause he was funny. Like his taunt in SSBM. I am just waiting for another character new/old to be announced. I hope it dosen’t take a while

D

DARK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wygCwlUN0A&amp;search=super%20smash%20bros%20ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPaOeLp5dw&amp;search=super%20smash%20bros%20%20%20ds

super smash bros N64 DS hey It can happen two videos to prove it click on the two links I put

M

mario

What a hell’s up with that video???
it’s so stupid you know gosh

S

smash fan #100000

that video is a totally stupid and desesperated try of some to much free time-guy that put a scene of luigi and samus fighting on the internet with a DS-secreen window frame to make a stupid rumor just like that sayd thatb sonic was in melee

S

smash fan #100000

but talking about Wii`s smash, I think that it could be a posibility that the game is just what we expect because if the starter characters have the same moves of melee then they just work on the look of them and eachone supermove, the video is just the best thing I ever saw but if they start the game in october from last year its one and half year that they start to work on it (and it is enough time to do what I just mentioned previously) just as shown in the video they are the same moves that in melee maybe its going to be the best smash ever done! but to make the moves of all the characters that are coming its a little hard to think that they end the game at that rate if they started in october, so as I see there are 2 conclusions:
1- that most of the new characters are going to be clones.

or

2- that they just satarted the game more earlier and in the time that they said they start (since october) they just adapted the game to the Wii (online game and allthat stuff) and make it better than what it could be finished for the gamecube… don`t you think?

I

Inuyasha

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO u cant rush a good game cuz if u do then it would sell as well as ssb and ssbm

I

Inuyasha

Its a big dissapointment that most of the characters from ssbm wont b in ssbb they should have about 100 characters or more in the game not 35 or so.

S

smash fan #100000

that`s life….. but I want like 100 characters too

T

The Mario fan Boy

To Inuyasha

They aren’t getting rid of most of the characters just anywhere around 5 characters.

I can think of a few right know (Pichu, Mr.G&amp;W, Dr.Mario, Roy and Y.Link).

T

The Mario fan Boy

Sakurai said that they would get rid of characters that didn’t need a place in the smash family, I just guessed the clones and the piece of paper (MrG&amp;W) were the ones to get out if you notice they are the top 5 that got the highest chance of leaving (1.Pichu,2.Y.link, 3.Dr.Mario 4.MrG&amp;W 5.Roy).

B

boo

yeah…. why MR.G&amp;W
I like DR. Mario… but I`m not surprised if he leaves

B

boo

oh yeah…..
pichu should leave and ganon should get new moves if he`s making it

S

segaloyal

gannondorf should have his two swords from wind waker or his wierd looking big one

S

smash fan #100000

mario fan boy… you really have very bad likes roy should´nt go I mean I dont use it and don´nt like him but I have a friend who uses it everytime that we fight and we have fight like 1000 times and we always end and stay draw since I have fight him with ebery character I use (link, fox, ganon, falco, peach, luigi, and marth) and he manage to stay in draw, you just think yourselve superior frrom everyone else here don´t you? you just look like your too good on smash for us then get out of your stupid damn home and try to see the real winers that are outside, then you can talk like that

B

boo

well more people likes marth some people saids roy’s to slow

but i don’t care which one leaves

T

The Mario fan Boy

Smash fan what are talking about I NEVER said that I was better than anyone or that I am better than anyone at smash. Were are you getting this?

If you still wan’t Roy just play melee and if he does show up in Brawl than good for you. I kinda like Roy too, but Marth is better in almost every way (reach, speed, power, weight and recovery) and I don’t want that in Brawl if Roy stays I would be happy, just if they even him and Marth up a bit.

What makes you think that my likes are bad? If i’m not mistaken, these forums are here for people to discuss brawl and I’m doing just that, I’m just not sure if I can say the same about you.

If you don’t like how I post thats not my problem just deal with it and move on.

A

archirival of some looser

marth is not more powerful than roy!!!! thats what make diferent martth from roy, marth is faster and roy is stronger and they have exactly the same reach and recovery posibilities their counter also is diferent but balanced, roy one´s is stronger and it hits you with the power of the punch that he receives and marth one´s is a bit longer but its not so strong it hits you with the same power everytime and I tryied to say that you just talk of roy like if he was a trash and you should get out of your house and see the world so then you know how useful roy can be for other players and if it is true that he is a trash then you can talk like that of he

A

archirival of some looser

hahahahaha!!!!!!
I talked like him again muwaaahahaha!!!!

Top Bottom