• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disappointed with Link

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was slightly disappointed to learn that the Remote Bomb can't be detonated if an enemy picks it up--but ultimately decided it was fair. If it detonated even if an enemy was holding it, it would make the Remote Bomb an effective wall that would be a pain to get past. By picking up the Remote Bomb, the enemy effectively removes that wall.
^What do you think bombs have been for the past 3 smash games? Link lost his walling.

Link's OoS in SSB4 wasn't fast but did cover a large area. Tether grab punished a lot of moves that were normally safe spaced on shield and upB and Usmash had huge hitbubble areas. Link was dangerous to approach with aerials because this. Usmash beat things like Cloud and Rosa's Dairs. His OoS did lose hard to CQC ground pressure to be fair.

Last edited:

Deus

Smash Journeyman
I love that he has a conventional grab now, but it seems like he's going to have a pretty terrible recovery that's extremely predictable. I would have loved if they gave him the paraglider that worked similar to Peach's float in the sense that you hold jump to activate it. It should definitely glide downward pretty quickly, and obviously be cancelled by attacks, but I think it would have been a pretty cool addition to the BoTW Link.

Quillion

Smash Hero
This game is supposed to be the ultimate, near-perfect version of Smash in bringing all previous characters together and finding the best middle ground between accessibility and depth. Hence the name "Ultimate."

But ever since Ultimate's reveal, I've always wondered something about Link: the current Link is significantly different from the previous Smash Links to a great degree: he's left-handed, he has no hookshot, he has different bombs, and he has a new double arrow mechanic.

Now that Ike can play with both his PoR and RD appearances, I've had to wonder: should Link have the same deal as an alt? Should a Link be an Echo Fighter with the old moveset? Should they actually be smart about new Links and give OoT Link and/or TP Link different tools that represent their respective games? There's a lot of options here.

As you may know, I'd rather have old Link as an Echo. I'd be fine with any of these options, though; it's just that old Link as an Echo seems the most logical and ideal to me.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I’m somewhat disappointed too, mostly because of the lost potential. They could have used some more stuff from BotW for Link’s new move set. To me it feels like either they are too “shy” to add certain things or they are rushing it to release the game this year and some stuff gets lost in the way. Not only for Link, but I feel he is one of the most affected by this. I personally was hoping for these changes:

• His entrance animation, it should clearly have been his teleportation animation.
  • Use the Stasis from the Sheikah Slate for his grab. It doesn't necesarily has to mean that he would have a lackluster grab again, in fact it could be just like his new grab or very similar but with different effects.
  • Improve his up special vertical distance and make him open his paraglider at the end of that move. That would give him finally a decent recovery and would represent his character in BofW much better imo. Or let him open it by holding the jump button.
  • Let him use more types of arrows. Since they are not letting him walk while charging of even aim his arrows, at least let him use a directional input to select different kind of arrows while charging the bow. That way he could have had fire, ice and shock arrows. And/or let him have bomb arrows at least, maybe on full charge only to not make it OP.
  • For his side smash, he could throw the sword in some way and recover it using the Magnesis of the Sheikah Slate (fast and with a hitbox in the recovery too). It’s not used in that way in BofW but it’s not as if it wouldn’t make sense, and it’s a way of representing more stuff that otherwise just cannot get in.
  • Probably they could even do something creative for his up of down smash involving the Cryonis thing, but I cannot think of anything good enough for now.
  • An alternate skin using the Hylian outfit dyed in different colors.
  • An alternate skin using the ancient sword and shield (maybe even the ancient armor, or the armor without the helmet).
  • Why not give him wall clinging and wall climbing?
  • For extra points, they could even give him different boomerangs for his different skins, since there are so many different weapons in BofW. It would be only an aesthetical change though, the size, hitboxes, and other properties of the boomerangs should be the same.

This game is supposed to be the ultimate, near-perfect version of Smash in bringing all previous characters together and finding the best middle ground between accessibility and depth. Hence the name "Ultimate."

But ever since Ultimate's reveal, I've always wondered something about Link: the current Link is significantly different from the previous Smash Links to a great degree: he's left-handed, he has no hookshot, he has different bombs, and he has a new double arrow mechanic.

Now that Ike can play with both his PoR and RD appearances, I've had to wonder: should Link have the same deal as an alt? Should a Link be an Echo Fighter with the old moveset? Should they actually be smart about new Links and give OoT Link and/or TP Link different tools that represent their respective games? There's a lot of options here.

As you may know, I'd rather have old Link as an Echo. I'd be fine with any of these options, though; it's just that old Link as an Echo seems the most logical and ideal to me.

That's actually something I've been thinking for a while. Although I’d rather simply keep his old move set tied to an alternate skin using his Twilight Princess design, just to not oversaturate the roster with Links. It could even be part of his personal “gimmick” as a character, like, you select a different skin and, surprise! Parts of his move set changes. It could be somehow pointed out or hinted in the selection screen, like calling it Twilight Link / Classic Link or something.

And the same could be done with Young Link using his design from Majora’s Mask (you know, the different sword, shield, and stuff) and giving him some new attacks using the Deku, Zora and Goron masks as well (since there’s no need to change the whole move set for this, just changing his specials and little more could be good enough for that purpose).

Heck, this could even solve the Ganondorf problem entirely too. Keep his old move set and his old TP design tied together to please the Falcondorf fans and give the new OoT Ganondorf some changes, like Dead Man’s Volley (and more).

It’s not like they could do this kind of alternate skin-echo stuff with all the roster, but I think it would be worth doing it to those three. Especially since Zelda characters have so many incarnations, it’s like the proper thing to do at this point.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I’m somewhat disappointed too, mostly because of the lost potential. They could have used some more stuff from BotW for Link’s new move set. To me it feels like either they are too “shy” to add certain things or they are rushing it to release the game this year and some stuff gets lost in the way. Not only for Link, but I feel he is one of the most affected by this. I personally was hoping for these changes:

• His entrance animation, it should clearly have been his teleportation animation.
  • Use the Stasis from the Sheikah Slate for his grab. It doesn't necesarily has to mean that he would have a lackluster grab again, in fact it could be just like his new grab or very similar but with different effects.
  • Improve his up special vertical distance and make him open his paraglider at the end of that move. That would give him finally a decent recovery and would represent his character in BofW much better imo. Or let him open it by holding the jump button.
  • Let him use more types of arrows. Since they are not letting him walk while charging of even aim his arrows, at least let him use a directional input to select different kind of arrows while charging the bow. That way he could have had fire, ice and shock arrows. And/or let him have bomb arrows at least, maybe on full charge only to not make it OP.
  • For his side smash, he could throw the sword in some way and recover it using the Magnesis of the Sheikah Slate (fast and with a hitbox in the recovery too). It’s not used in that way in BofW but it’s not as if it wouldn’t make sense, and it’s a way of representing more stuff that otherwise just cannot get in.
  • Probably they could even do something creative for his up of down smash involving the Cryonis thing, but I cannot think of anything good enough for now.
  • An alternate skin using the Hylian outfit dyed in different colors.
  • An alternate skin using the ancient sword and shield (maybe even the ancient armor, or the armor without the helmet).
  • Why not give him wall clinging and wall climbing?
  • For extra points, they could even give him different boomerangs for his different skins, since there are so many different weapons in BofW. It would be only an aesthetical change though, the size, hitboxes, and other properties of the boomerangs should be the same.

That's actually something I've been thinking for a while. Although I’d rather simply keep his old move set tied to an alternate skin using his Twilight Princess design, just to not oversaturate the roster with Links. It could even be part of his personal “gimmick” as a character, like, you select a different skin and, surprise! Parts of his move set changes. It could be somehow pointed out or hinted in the selection screen, like calling it Twilight Link / Classic Link or something.

And the same could be done with Young Link using his design from Majora’s Mask (you know, the different sword, shield, and stuff) and giving him some new attacks using the Deku, Zora and Goron masks as well (since there’s no need to change the whole move set for this, just changing his specials and little more could be good enough for that purpose).

Heck, this could even solve the Ganondorf problem entirely too. Keep his old move set and his old TP design tied together to please the Falcondorf fans and give the new OoT Ganondorf some changes, like Dead Man’s Volley (and more).

It’s not like they could do this kind of alternate skin-echo stuff with all the roster, but I think it would be worth doing it to those three. Especially since Zelda characters have so many incarnations, it’s like the proper thing to do at this point.
I most definitely agree with buffed recovery distance, as I want to see how well he can make use of it, and definitely having a wall cling and jump, which can reference his climbing abilities. However, are you suggesting Stasis could be like a tether, although I might be wrong there?

Last edited:

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I most definitely agree with buffed recovery distance, as I want to see how well he can make use of it, and definitely having a wall cling and jump, which can reference his climbing abilities. However, are you suggesting Stasis could be like a tether, although I might be wrong there?

Stasis could be either a tether grab (Pac-Man type and range, or Samus/old Link range) or just a normal grab with different visual effects in which Link first grabs the opponent, and then freezes the opponent to start the pummeling (with yellow visual effects and stuff).

If it’s the first type it doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be as horrible as Pac-Man’s grab in Smash 4, however the second type would work just fine and it’d be easier to implement from what they’ve done so far with Link (and it would be easier to balance, since it would be just a normal grab).

Last edited:

Deus

Smash Journeyman
I mean the post I have above with giving him the paraglider to come out with holding jump like Peach's float would make his recovery game much better. It would allow a lot of different change ups for recovery as well as possible uses in general combat.

I feel what you guys are saying with OG Link vs BoTW style. They did bring back Young Link so they are I guess trying to preserve the old moveset to a degree? Which if true then I definitely would have like to have seen more done to BoTW Link. Dunno, need to check if there have been any YLink updates actually :p

Last edited:

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I wish Botw Link could detonate his bomb during free fall after using his up+b since snake can do that to help him recover. I suggested that to the Nintendo rep at CEO. Though, I doubt anything will be done about it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wish Botw Link could detonate his bomb during free fall after using his up+b since snake can do that to help him recover. I suggested that to the Nintendo rep at CEO. Though, I doubt anything will be done about it.
I just wish maybe Link's Spin Attack can cover more distance in the air to make up for the lack of a tether to aid him (even though they were nerfed). The range of the hitboxes seem to be nice,as well as the power, but more distance would be nice (but not crazy like Villager).

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Does Link have increased air speed? That's another thing I have no idea on. It would be really good for Link if he had increased air speed (probably one of the best things about Link in Melee).

As of right now, Link's recovery is Snake like. However, I don't think it will be as consistent because we currently don't know how the bombs send you. If Link z-drops a bomb and detonates it, where does it send Link flying?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does Link have increased air speed? That's another thing I have no idea on. It would be really good for Link if he had increased air speed (probably one of the best things about Link in Melee).

As of right now, Link's recovery is Snake like. However, I don't think it will be as consistent because we currently don't know how the bombs send you. If Link z-drops a bomb and detonates it, where does it send Link flying?
I hear that it sends at a more horizontal angle than vertical, so bomb recovery might be more positional-based. I hear his speed overall has considerably increased, so I imagine that relates to air speed as welll. Unfortunately, I could not play the demo, so I cannot confirm all of this.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I agree that it could be positional based. Considering Link is more then likely going to be in front of the bomb due to aerial momentum, I think Link's going to recover more then die.

So Link's going to tech a lot more then usual.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Do keep in mind that Link probably wasn't really changed due to the fact Sakurai completed his first Smash 5 proposal in Dec. 2015. Otherwise; he would definitely have Paraglider + rivalis gale as his Up-B.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of the people who are complaining about Link don’t really play him, or understand his positioning in the series in general.

Link has always been an adventurer and problem solver in his games. He utilizes a variety of tools to overcome obstacles. The tools, in this case have always payed homage to his character: A Bow & Arrow, Bombs, and a Boomerang. These tools have been a part of Link’s arsenal in every game and are critical to him succeeding, whether that’s using a bomb to blow up a secret spot to make a new passage, using his bow & arrow to attack an enemies weak points, or using a boomerang as a long distance attack, or grabbing a lingering heart piece. His spin attack has also been in every single game with the exception of Zelda II. It’s used when he’s surrounded by enemies or in need to clear a bed of grass for some rupees or hearts. Or pots lol.

Now thing about him in Smash and how Sakurai thinks when he balances the game. He tries to accommodate a character for 1v1’s and free for all matches. Moves like bombs, boomerangs and arrows help you fight your opponent like he was a boss. You have to hit him with some weapons and then follow up with sword attacks in a 1v1. In a 4 player match you would go in swinging like you had to fight a horde of monsters, and spin attack helps you knock opponents away from both sides. This translated into smash works very well. And while he could have a lot of stuff from his games, Link never has, honestly. Din’s Fire, Naryu’s Love, and Farrow’s Wind are all Zelda’s, even though Link used them, so besides elemental arrows and bomb chu there isn’t much out there. Eye of Truth? lol

Now as far as Breath of the Wild is concerned, I feel like it translated enough of who he is into the game while still maintaining that classic Link style. Detonating bombs are good, have good knock back, and can help Link recover if he Z-drops while holding it. Having the ability to pick up his own arrow and either throw it, drop it, or shoot it with a second one not only pays homage to the fact that Link can throw many objects in Breath of the Wild, but compensated for the lack of having 2 bombs in his previous smash iteration. Him having a normal grab means Link can actually be aggressive and opponents can’t just run into him on shield. Where before his only option was Up B out of shield, he can grab you and follow up without having to worry about having extreme lag. He also can shoot blade beams out of his sword at 0% with a smash attack. That’s pretty ****ing cool.

From a practicality stand point Link is fine. I know Breath of the Wild was great and he had a lot of new stuff but to change him for one game over the course of 15 years would alienate a lot of players who played him previously. Now if your concern is about balance, check out Link’s videos from Japan expo, with Otokuni. He’s really showing that Link has some potential. Link just needed a couple things, and I feel like he has most of them. He already hits hard as hell so buffing him may take some thinking.

And one thing, I’m all against Revalli’s Gale as an Up B. What is it going to do on the ground? And I don’t want to have a move that’s going to launch me out of neutral and have to wait all the way till I get to the ground. Him and DK are the only characters with an Up B that wind cost you losing your footing.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I feel like a lot of the people who are complaining about Link don’t really play him, or understand his positioning in the series in general.

Link has always been an adventurer and problem solver in his games. He utilizes a variety of tools to overcome obstacles. The tools, in this case have always payed homage to his character: A Bow & Arrow, Bombs, and a Boomerang. These tools have been a part of Link’s arsenal in every game and are critical to him succeeding, whether that’s using a bomb to blow up a secret spot to make a new passage, using his bow & arrow to attack an enemies weak points, or using a boomerang as a long distance attack, or grabbing a lingering heart piece. His spin attack has also been in every single game with the exception of Zelda II. It’s used when he’s surrounded by enemies or in need to clear a bed of grass for some rupees or hearts. Or pots lol.

Now thing about him in Smash and how Sakurai thinks when he balances the game. He tries to accommodate a character for 1v1’s and free for all matches. Moves like bombs, boomerangs and arrows help you fight your opponent like he was a boss. You have to hit him with some weapons and then follow up with sword attacks in a 1v1. In a 4 player match you would go in swinging like you had to fight a horde of monsters, and spin attack helps you knock opponents away from both sides. This translated into smash works very well. And while he could have a lot of stuff from his games, Link never has, honestly. Din’s Fire, Naryu’s Love, and Farrow’s Wind are all Zelda’s, even though Link used them, so besides elemental arrows and bomb chu there isn’t much out there. Eye of Truth? lol

Now as far as Breath of the Wild is concerned, I feel like it translated enough of who he is into the game while still maintaining that classic Link style. Detonating bombs are good, have good knock back, and can help Link recover if he Z-drops while holding it. Having the ability to pick up his own arrow and either throw it, drop it, or shoot it with a second one not only pays homage to the fact that Link can throw many objects in Breath of the Wild, but compensated for the lack of having 2 bombs in his previous smash iteration. Him having a normal grab means Link can actually be aggressive and opponents can’t just run into him on shield. Where before his only option was Up B out of shield, he can grab you and follow up without having to worry about having extreme lag. He also can shoot blade beams out of his sword at 0% with a smash attack. That’s pretty ****ing cool.

From a practicality stand point Link is fine. I know Breath of the Wild was great and he had a lot of new stuff but to change him for one game over the course of 15 years would alienate a lot of players who played him previously. Now if your concern is about balance, check out Link’s videos from Japan expo, with Otokuni. He’s really showing that Link has some potential. Link just needed a couple things, and I feel like he has most of them. He already hits hard as hell so buffing him may take some thinking.

And one thing, I’m all against Revalli’s Gale as an Up B. What is it going to do on the ground? And I don’t want to have a move that’s going to launch me out of neutral and have to wait all the way till I get to the ground. Him and DK are the only characters with an Up B that wind cost you losing your footing.
Yeah, I agree. Revali's Gale is okay in its own right, but Spin Attack is far more iconic and of Link's best moves in The Legend of Zelda as a whole. It would be pretty hard to incorporate everything Link could do in BOTW into Smash, but it's fine, for he still uses moves and weapons he has in BOTW, so he still represents his game.

Anyway, I imagine Link will play less like a zoner compared to Young and especially Toon Link, and more like a sword character who simply has his tools to make better openings, if you get what I'm saying. Finally will we get a Link who will most likely play on the more aggressive side, but still have his projectiles to assist him with his spacing. Hopefully, his mobility boost and potentially better frame data gets him out of that slow, but chuck projectiles to get much things done role he seems to have. It bothers me a bit to be honest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good to have all this info about Link, looking forward to more info.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
The only thing I'm really disappointed by is the fact that Link lost his tether grab. In Smash 4 at least, Link's grab was an amazing tool that let him catch rolls and landings very reliably . For a character like him, I honestly felt like the tether grab was much stronger since it made his midrange and pressure game much scarier. Jumping away from or shielding his projectiles at a distance wasn't always the optimal solution since his tether grab gave him the range to punish these options. Losing Zair and his tether recovery only adds insult to injury and makes him less versatile imo.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to using him in the new game. The new bomb, though overrated imo, looks very fun to use and much more versatile for edgeguards. His frame 3 jumpsquat is also great, making his d-throw combos and aerial pressure more reliable. The blade beam shooting at 0 is also a nice touch I wished the developers included sooner.

The change to his design is something I love as well. I've only played Ocarina of Time 3D and Breathe of the Wild, but I've always felt Link's design in Twilight Princess looked subpar compared to those games. I glad Link gets his Breathe of the Wild design, while Ganon gets his Ocarina of Time design.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The only thing I'm really disappointed by is the fact that Link lost his tether grab. In Smash 4 at least, Link's grab was an amazing tool that let him catch rolls and landings very reliably . For a character like him, I honestly felt like the tether grab was much stronger since it made his midrange and pressure game much scarier. Jumping away from or shielding his projectiles at a distance wasn't always the optimal solution since his tether grab gave him the range to punish these options. Losing Zair and his tether recovery only adds insult to injury and makes him less versatile imo.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to using him in the new game. The new bomb, though overrated imo, looks very fun to use and much more versatile for edgeguards. His frame 3 jumpsquat is also great, making his d-throw combos and aerial pressure more reliable. The blade beam shooting at 0 is also a nice touch I wished the developers included sooner.

The change to his design is something I love as well. I've only played Ocarina of Time 3D and Breathe of the Wild, but I've always felt Link's design in Twilight Princess looked subpar compared to those games. I glad Link gets his Breathe of the Wild design, while Ganon gets his Ocarina of Time design.
Every time I think of tether recoveries, I think of how no character with a character can airdodge and then tether due to the huge airdodge lag (unless done high up above the ledge perhaps), so Link would have been nerfed there if he had it. It would force and urge safer tether recoveries, which I can't say would also be the case.

Down throw has not looked very good so far, as many of us have seen characters easily airdodge away from Link to avoid an up tilt, smash or air. More hitstun might be what we need there.

His design is also nice too! If we get more than 8 alternate costumes this time around, Link could have many possible picks! I especially like his Hylian Hood/Tunic alt the most.

Remote Bombs might be used more of a trapping tool than a combo tool (although combos are still possible). We can put fear into anyone offstage with the larger blast radius/hitbox on the bombs, and the increased knockback might destroy certain characters' recoveries. Bomb recoveries might take a while to practice all over again if it is very effective for Link (imagine getting knocked towards the stage). This we all will have to get used to when we play Link.

All in all, for a more aggressive Link, I can say I would like a mobile Link (for once), and better frame data to assist in making for a better up-close game. Recovery is interesting, as I kind of want to see more distance on his Spin Attack vertically and horizontally compared to Young & Toon Link to make up for a lack of a tether (highly unlikely though).

D

Deleted member

It is too bad, but I hope, and think Link will, be okay, his grab is different, but hopefully he'll be fine.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Do you guys think it would be good if :ultlink: could crawl? Maybe he could sneak up on his enemies, like in BOTW. Perhaps he would look silly, but it would be a nice touch. I also really hope he can wall jump/cling, because climbing physics can easily justify this. And although unlikely, a unique climbing ability for him would be nice, and aid in his recovery a little bit potentially. I get that if this does not appear when the game is released, it will not be added at all, kind of like Luigi's wall jump in SSB4, but in reverse (they removed his).

emefcue

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think it would be good if :ultlink: could crawl? Maybe he could sneak up on his enemies, like in BOTW. Perhaps he would look silly, but it would be a nice touch. I also really hope he can wall jump/cling, because climbing physics can easily justify this. And although unlikely, a unique climbing ability for him would be nice, and aid in his recovery a little bit potentially. I get that if this does not appear when the game is released, it will not be added at all, kind of like Luigi's wall jump in SSB4, but in reverse (they removed his).
this is a great idea. crawling and wall cling would be a great nod to breath of the wild while still staying true to Link's core character. and right now im kicking myself for not testing these things out in the demo lol

Kiiwii

Smash Rookie
I personally just don’t like the detonatable bombs :// although he’s losing some stuff I still feel like he’ll be fun to play. Also isn’t his grab being improved?

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I personally just don’t like the detonatable bombs :// although he’s losing some stuff I still feel like he’ll be fun to play. Also isn’t his grab being improved?
It depends... As a recovery move/spacing tool is considered a nerf, but if your question is just about the grab then we could say is a buff, cuz now is much faster and safer on wiff and a good oos option.

Kiiwii

Smash Rookie
It depends... As a recovery move/spacing tool is considered a nerf, but if your question is just about the grab then we could say is a buff, cuz now is much faster and safer on wiff and a good oos option.
Freaking finally lmao I hated his just plain grab

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I beat a PRed Bayo with Link in ssb4 before the weeklies ended by strategic and frequent use of bombs to make a wall and interrupt ladder combos. I wonder how the new Link will fare in that MU. Link is such a punching bag when being comboed. Timed bombs were the keystone of his character not just for combos and zoning but to ease his otherwise terrible disadvantage state.
I don't think you have to worry very much about the Bayo match-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYXCsf_EYEE

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Sure if the bayo player's a complete scrub like that guy.
Actually I've heard that Dakou is supposedly one of the better Smash 4 Bayo mains among those in France. That Link player is no slouch in his scene over there either. Of course, both players haven't had much time to grasp the intricacies that come with the changes of Smash 4 to Ultimate, so perhaps this shows Link as whole when it comes to his core gameplay style hasn't changed as much as we think? And maybe bayo's mechanics have changed much more than what we can see merely by only watching... I for one think it's both and that also Otakuni just excels at adapting~

Rizen

Smash Legend
Actually I've heard that Dakou is supposedly one of the better Smash 4 Bayo mains among those in France.
Well that's sad. He randomly jumps into Nairs several times that were nowhere near Link, upBs at 0:48 and doesn't sideB to escape so he gets Usmashed, Fsmashes in neutral, platform pressures with Usmash, heel slides to approach, never spaces with Bair or grabs, and never uses Wti. In general the Bayo panics and defaults to mashing buttons that wiff.

I'm all for analyzing the demo but you can't get much from games where one player is a punching bag. Basically what I say in this post except switch Marth with Bayo.

Last edited:

PrimeWill

Smash Rookie
I'm someone who completed every single console Zelda game from the 80's until Twilight Princess and mained Link in SB because the zelda games are consistently the games I liked to play, also Link is the self-identifiable hero. I've also found that I don't have the time to play long drawn out games anymore so Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild have been played sparingly.

That said I'm disappointed in the changes. The game is supposed to be the "ultimate" version of the game. Yet with these changes Link isn't Link anymore. He's just the latest incarnation of a character from a game I barely played. If they really were making an all inclusive game, with every character, then every character would need to be in the game patterned directly from the previous incarnations. WIthout the bombs and the hook/clawshot Link is no longer Link, he's BotW Link.

Anymore, if I take the time to play a video game, I play smash and only smash on the Wii U. It takes little time to play a few rounds. My friends have all moved on so it's just me vs the cpu. I usually just play Link and fight vs Ganondorf on Temple. And I fling bombs at him with reckless abandon. It makes me happy just to throw an explosive and immediately pull out a new one and have it at the ready by the time the cpu is ready for more.

Smash Ultimate could have been the reason I go out and by a switch. I liked the idea of having every character left off the roster from the previous games. Unfortunatly, the character now left off the roster is my stalwart main.

How can I justify spending $300+ to play a game that doesn't include the very reason I'd want to play it in the first place?

Where is Link and why can't I play him on the switch? Is it really just a handful of people that are disappointed? Is everyone else just happy with what they are given?

1FC0

Smash Lord
I'm someone who completed every single console Zelda game from the 80's until Twilight Princess and mained Link in SB because the zelda games are consistently the games I liked to play, also Link is the self-identifiable hero. I've also found that I don't have the time to play long drawn out games anymore so Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild have been played sparingly.

That said I'm disappointed in the changes. The game is supposed to be the "ultimate" version of the game. Yet with these changes Link isn't Link anymore. He's just the latest incarnation of a character from a game I barely played. If they really were making an all inclusive game, with every character, then every character would need to be in the game patterned directly from the previous incarnations. WIthout the bombs and the hook/clawshot Link is no longer Link, he's BotW Link.
But Young Link is still the iconic Link. I wonder whether the Links before OoT were Young Link or Link? I know they are different incarnations but they always seemed pretty Young so maybe Young Link is the real Link and then Link is just a recent addition like Toon Link.

Of course in that case Young Link should have the sword beam since this would mean that it was his attack.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I would say the most disappointing thing is his alts.

They should of just stayed with Twilight Princess Link, and make Breath of the Wild Link A newcomer under the name Champion Link,

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would say the most disappointing thing is his alts.

They should of just stayed with Twilight Princess Link, and make Breath of the Wild Link A newcomer under the name Champion Link,
But then Sheik wouldn’t be in her current BOTW form...and that would be no good

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t like like her new look myself. It’s just her old head slapped on some botw armour,
It fits the style of Ultimate, and gives her a fresh look instead of keeping her TP form for a 3rd game in a row

Rizen

Smash Legend
What's weird about Sheik is she's been in 1 actual Zelda game and 6 or 7 spinoffs (smash+Hyrule Warriors).

I always thought of the TP versions of characters as OoT with updated graphics.

Top Bottom