• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence, or rather... Not Directional Influence (Knockback Vector Addition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Unwatching thread as it seems to have been repurposed into not-Vectoring discussion.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
OK, mini-mod. ;)

VECTORING question: If you vector down and then immediately up, is the vector negated?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OK, mini-mod. ;)

VECTORING question: If you vector down and then immediately up, is the vector negated?
Good question.

Also Strong Bad is gone, let's all make fun of DK. I think he wears his tie wrong.

D

Deleted member 245254

It would appear that this mechanic has not yet been properly explored to the point at which this discovery thread would imply.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2hrmgc/vectoring_isnt_as_accurate_as_it_has_been/

Given what he says is true of his results, vectoring is rendered a rather inappropriate description of what happens, as would any variation of using that term. It essentially calls in to question the literal validity of these findings.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
That's very odd. Seems like it behaves somewhere between DI in Brawl and "Vectoring" as Strong Bad described it. Is there a test setup we could create to see just how much each "type" of DI factors in (50/50 split, 70/30, etc)?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I believe I've made a break through on our Vectoring....or as its actually known, Hitstun Shuffling (that's what the game itself calls it).

Last night I was grinding out customs and noticed a certain tip. It was about a mechanic called Hitstun shuffling. The gist of it was that, during hitstun, you could PRESS (this is important later) in a direction to sort of shift yourself in that direction. The press wording had me curious, and if this was perhaps the Vectoring Strong Bad had dubbed.

I set off to Gerudo Valley (i needed a stage with easy to read landmarks and it fit the bill in landmarks and size) and tested getting blasted by a bomb omb at various percents. The most important thing of this testing, was to differentiate the difference between a pressed input and holding the input.

I stood on the right platform, and threw the Bombomb to the ground at its left edge, and measured the distance using the landmarks or no DI, an input press (right in both cases) and an input held. All percents for intial testing was 66%.

With no input, I went from that specific point of the ledge to just beyond the left platforms left edge. With a tap of the stick to the right, I ended up at about the middle of the left platform. And held? Well, first I landed around the bridge, but I noticed something. The arc and angle I took was the same between both tests. I retested holding again, but made sure to use an attack as soon as I was out of hitstun, so I knew to let go. My landing site? The middle of the left platform, same as when I tapped the stick. I tested both again for about 5 minutes, and my results were consistent, always landing in the same location.

I lowered the percent to 44% and did it again, this time measuring a down input. With no input, just infront of the left platform. Down tapped, I ended up landing by the sign on the left side of the bridge. Down held, same place. I then tested when exactly I regained control from the hitstun. In both down input scenarios, it was right above the sign that I could attack.

A final test I did for now was seeing just how many inputs could be inputed. From what I could tell, the very first input was the only one that registered.

So what does this mean? Well, if my theory is right, DI is only active when you have control of your character, as in, outside of hitstun. In hitstun, you can shuffle your momentum with one button press. I'd appreciate if others could test this a bit as well, especially if you have access to another person willing to do it.

On a side note, I imagine Shield Shuffling behaves the same, only in shield stun can you input a direction to shift in, but I haven't tested that yet.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Shuffling is Sakurai's word for "moving".

Throw smart bomb on ground, wiggle stick between two points, observe result. Hitstun shuffling.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
But what I'm saying is there's no difference between that and Vectoring. They're one in the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom