• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din's Fire spam

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that non-Zelda mainers believe that Din's Fire spam is the only thing Zelda players do, and makes up the most part of Zelda's approach game? Many people say Zelda has a horrible approach, some even saying its the worst in the game. Zelda actually has a pretty good approach, hyphen smash can rack up damage, her dash attack has good range and you can dash grab, which you can dthrow from, leading into her aerials.

I only use Din's Fire for edgeguarding, I barely use it for anything else, and yet there are Lucas and Ness players claiming that Zelda is their easiest matchup in the entire game just because they can absorb Din's Fire, claiming that takes away the only good approach Zelda has.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Play online "with anyone".

8 out of 10 Zeldas will spam Din.

However, 8 out of 10 players will spam no matter who or what.

Zelda is one of the most powerful characters in the game. Why would a decent player resort to Din, which is EASILY dodged, and isn't even her most powerful move? People are thick.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Din's sucks. I'd rather have luigi's fireballs, seriously. That doesn't take away from the fact, though, that she's a horrible approacher. Imagine Snake without projectiles, ftilt, or jab. lol

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I don't think she's meant to be able to run in from a distance. Use FW, Din glides or just run/walk to a safe distance, wait for them to attack, and then counter.

Most of the time they'll think you're gonna attack, making this pretty effective.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
It's true, most people seem to think that all zelda uses spam dins fire. I use it occationally, you know, if the enemy is far off and I want to bring them in so I can attack or I'll use it for edge guarding. What I like to do though, is use dins fire, but instead of exploding it right on them, I'll make it pass behind them, they think that I messed up and made it go too far, so they drop their shield, then I make it explode, catching them with the edge of the explosion.
As for approaching, Zelda does have some difficulty with it. I find it better to wait for opponent to come to you. She's well equipped to do so, she has a fairly decent reflector and a ranged attack.

S2

Smash Lord
Sorry everyone, but prepare for a massively long rant...

Seriously, spam accusations usually come from newbs who are trying to cover up the fact that they lost. They need to find an excuse.

So whenever someone calls me a "spammer", I simply reply with "Nice try, no Johns". If someone says "all you do is spam", I like to reply with "all you do is suck massively".

I know I'm coming off pessimistic, but I think that a lot of newbs are prone to calling any Zelda player (and to an extent Sheik) a spammer regardless of how what you do.

I've had plenty of matches where I used all of Zelda's moves, tilts, etc. Barely used Din's. Probably about 3-5 times over 3 minutes. But when I did use Din's, it was as an edge-guard and they died. As soon as the match ended, I got called a "spammer". The proper response is "no johns".

I dunno, the players who complain about "spamming" basically use that as an excuse to cover up their (in)ability to play well.

If your opponent is spamming the same thing over and over, and you're losing... it's because you keep falling for the tactic... Why should another player purposely give up an effective strategy? That doesn't make sense.

One player called me a spammer because he continued to roll into me over and over, trying to grab out of his roll. So I down smashed him over and over, every time he did it. He then proceeded to call me a "spammer". Maybe he was right, I should have given him a turn to hit me instead of punishing the same mistake over and over.

Furthermore, most of the people complaining are complete hypocrites. I played in a tourney where all my opponent did was camp with Snake, throwing grenades and such the entire time. It was pretty annoying, but i didn't say anything because it's a legit tactic. The next round I changed to ROB for the fun of it, then obliterated him because he kept trying to camp me and ROB out-projectiles him fairly easily...

When the match ends, he starts johning and saying "all I do his camp projectiles, gyro, laser, gyro, win. Do spammers even feel good about spamming?"

There you have it. I'm a dirty "spammer" because I counterpicked a character who he couldnt' outcamp against... even though he spent the whole first round projectile spamming me so he could abuse Snake's tilts when I got to high percent... I'm the bad player because I beat him at his own game.

Hypocrite "anti-spammers".

Then there are my other favorites. People who play Marth, Meta, etc. Characters with exceptional approaches, high priority, and good combo/killing power. They get mad because you use projectiles to force them to approach. They condemn you as a "newb spammer" because your not the one making the approaches. Because Zelda, with her poor approaches and weak air priority (unsweetspoted) really needs to be fair and approach these types of characters.

Never feel bad about these types of players. If someone is playing Marth, Meta, etc... and they can't approach past a fireball, well then they need practice. Because in exchange for not having any way of forcing their opponent to approach, they are blessed with massively high priority and awesome aerial games. Yeah, you should feel real bad about shooting projectiles at a character who can outprioritize you and and whose sword can reach through the hitboxes of your strongest moves.

These players are good enough to try and belittle your win, but not good enough to do anything about it.

I'll apologize once again for my long rant, but seriously, no johns. These people try and make you feel bad for winning, even if your not spamming. So next time the word spam comes out of their mouth, "no johns". Let them stamp their feet and throw a hissy fit... they lost. No johns.

I'm all for hilarious johns that are said in good fun, when both people know it's a joke. Silly excuses that aren't really excuses as much as an opportunity to be funny. But trying to tear down your opponent's victory because you suck is low.

I know everyone does it from time to time (or is at least thinking it, even if they don't say it)... but honestly, if your johning after every match or blaming your losses on "spammers"... maybe you just need to blame yourself.

Besides, it's not like there's a giant trigger called "R" located on the shoulder of the GC controller... some would call it the counter to projectiles. You press it, and then it magically dodges/blocks attacks.

Phazonin

Smash Cadet
Furthermore, most of the people complaining are complete hypocrites. I played in a tourney where all my opponent did was camp with Snake, throwing grenades and such the entire time. It was pretty annoying, but i didn't say anything because it's a legit tactic. The next round I changed to ROB for the fun of it, then obliterated him because he kept trying to camp me and ROB out-projectiles him fairly easily...

When the match ends, he starts johning and saying "all I do his camp projectiles, gyro, laser, gyro, win. Do spammers even feel good about spamming?"
If I were you, I would've honestly told him off in front of everybody.

Snakes deserve no pity and no sympathy.

It reminds me of the Snake I regularly play. I'm pretty sure 70 percent of the moves he uses are the grenades. The other 30 is either up or forward tilt. My ZSS completely out plays him most of the time, but I have to wait until he's at at least 160% before I even think about killing him. At 95, I have to worry about a disjointed up tilt destroying ZSS's tiny frame.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Din's sucks. I'd rather have luigi's fireballs, seriously. That doesn't take away from the fact, though, that she's a horrible approacher. Imagine Snake without projectiles, ftilt, or jab. lol
Most of the time I don't even try to hit with it. Seriously I mostly use dins for mind games....while they're thinking of dodging my dins and air dodging and so forth i'm planning my moves and a lot of times i find an opening because of dins.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Whenever a character has one projectile and uses it more than once, it's considered spamming by sore losers.

Especially if they lost badly. ;)

<3 Zelda Mains

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
Idiots

I have a friend who always says I spam din's fire, the only reason I do is because he's too stupid to dodge. Another friend of mine dodges din's every time, so with him I don't use it as much. It really depends on who you're facing, if it's some noob who doesn't know why dodging is a good idea then abuse din's, if you're actually playing someone who knows what they are doing then only use it when they are open:ohwell:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i generally send the opponent one or two din's when in a spammable situation. it's just to remind them that i COULD be spamming them if i wanted to, so they shouldn't be so campy :p.

(by the way, who else LOVES it when pit tries to block with his mirror shield, so you just keep going and hit him from behind with din's while he's still shielding?)

in a tourney-type situation, though... i really wouldn't give a **** and spam whenever the opportunity arises.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if being subject to a critic's ranting of Din's fire is supposed to limit my usage of it, but.....

I'd still use it.

Not to mention Zelda's approach isn't even that good otherwise; usually I'd have to wait for the enemy come to me and then spring the dsmash and tilt action.

Din's fire can't even be used in rapid succession and it's simple to outmaneuver, so I fail to see where all the excitement is coming from.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
kai i didn't know that you played zelda, when i played you a few days ago all i saw was your pikachu and sonic:(

Top Bottom