• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dino Dunkin' - Tricks and tips

Sashimi

Smash Ace
In Melee I sometimes just sit there and wait for them to break out and then I parry whatever they do. Being in the egg tends to mess with people, and they'll often throw out a move as soon as they break out.

I haven't done much with it in PM, but I'm sure an Egg (with the new "not breaking in the air" thing) would be easy. Probably Utilt and Uair too. I think the main thing to remember is not to get greedy with it. The opponent gets invincibility frames upon breaking out, so if you try to attack them while they're in the egg, they might have a chance to hit you when they break out. Most things should be safe as long as you wait.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've tried to Dair them in it but it's never really worked. I either end up hitting them a bit or completely missing. Usually end up using it as a mixup option.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yoshi is def not underrated, seeing as how a lot of people think he's top5. If anything, he might even be slightly overrated. Not by much though, he's top10 fosho.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Lots of people also put him in the bottom 10. But it's hard to tell, since there isn't much Yoshi tournament footage, and Yoshi is one of those weird characters that most people don't know much about.:p

I do think he's top 10.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
People who put him in bottom 10 are just ignorant, because they don't know how he works. They don't understand doublejump canceling, or parrying, or how to recover, or how to use eggs. Even if they're aware of those things, they can't do them properly, so they go "meh, he sucks", and they just play the character they know how to use.

I mean, he's got a unique playstyle, and if you suck at it, you're going to suck with him. I can't play Fox or Falco very well either, but I get why they're good. More importantly, I've seen it, because they dominate. When we start getting more Yoshi representation, ignorant people will become educated.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The more I play him in Melee, the more I'm convinced that he's the most unique character in the game.

There are lots of new "weird" characters in PM, but few of them are close to being as different as the green dinosaur. Jump-cancellable invincibility frames on the ground, knockback armor in the air, DJC that lets you turn around, command grab, weird moves like Dtilt with its set knockback, unpokeable shield, and hopefully (if the PMBR decides to keep it) a crazy sliding light shield!

And yes, I think a lot of people give up on Yoshi because his recovery is a bit of a challenge at first. Of course, if they figure it out, they get time to learn the fun stuff that makes Yoshi so good!

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I find him more fun than the rest of the cast. Except the pink puffball named Kirby, since he's my other main. Most people do shy away from him because of the whole "lack of a recovery move". I don't blame em, but they're really missing out.

People who I play with on a weekly basis get scared of the combos I pull off and the free stocks I can achieve. He's such a fun character. What's awesome about playing a character that you're good with is there's still more room for improvement. I personally still need to learn how to use DJC aerials at right times. Need to learn more mixups and certain match ups. Need to learn how to deal with certain playstyles. What stages are better than others for Yoshi.

The list can go on. He's hands down my favorite and I started playing him on a whim. I've always liked Yoshi games and this just took the cake. I also can't stress it enough for myself to just stay positive and be confident while in the match you're in. I've had matches where I just get swept and I've felt bad about it. Question myself about playing a different main. I went in at my weekly tourney on Wednesday with a positive attitude and kept telling myself "You got this." I won and lost 2 matches but its the best I've ever done against these people. Those losses were very close too and I was so proud of myself.

To play a character that well against others that have a better skill level than I and still get them to one stock makes me proud. Putting the time in and staying confident will win you the match. Its not just that matchup, its about the time you put into your character and the drive you have to win.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question. What do you think Ypshi's playstyle should be? I, as a person, play very offensively, and my Yoshi is no exception. A friend of mine is under the (false, in my opinion) notion that he's defensive. I'm pretty good at my little super aggressive game, yet defensive players always get the handle on me. I do also need to get some old bad habits out of my life, but I'm not perfect. Nonetheless, I still have no idea what I should be doing, cuz I only have like two combos. Not the best Yoshi around, but I'm trying. Any tips on how to get tech skill, speed, and accuracy down for this character? He's the only one I've truly felt... really good at. But now, well, I need a boost.

Kaysick, keep rockin Yoshi. Free stocks seems like only a reality for me against noobs and some CP's. Rockin it, dude.

Any advice? I've got DJC down, I haven't touched parrying, and am working on Shield Drops(Which that same friend says is useless, I heavily dissagree). What can I do to improve my game, speed, and combos? Thanks sooo much! Keep on Yoshi.... er.... Yoshing? Yoshi-ing? I'll just say playing Yoshi. :)

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question. What do you think Ypshi's playstyle should be? I, as a person, play very offensively, and my Yoshi is no exception. A friend of mine is under the (false, in my opinion) notion that he's defensive. I'm pretty good at my little super aggressive game, yet defensive players always get the handle on me. I do also need to get some old bad habits out of my life, but I'm not perfect. Nonetheless, I still have no idea what I should be doing, cuz I only have like two combos. Not the best Yoshi around, but I'm trying. Any tips on how to get tech skill, speed, and accuracy down for this character? He's the only one I've truly felt... really good at. But now, well, I need a boost.

Kaysick, keep rockin Yoshi. Free stocks seems like only a reality for me against noobs and some CP's. Rockin it, dude.

Any advice? I've got DJC down, I haven't touched parrying, and am working on Shield Drops(Which that same friend says is useless, I heavily dissagree). What can I do to improve my game, speed, and combos? Thanks sooo much! Keep on Yoshi.... er.... Yoshing? Yoshi-ing? I'll just say playing Yoshi. :)
Well, very offensive is the way I play as well. Its hard for me to play defensively but I've been trying to a bit when I play against others that are like that as well. In my experiences with offensive vs defensive, defensive seems to get the upper hand or at least an advantage. I usually just try to play a bit more cautions and try to read them a bit so I can squeeze in some % or small combos.

What are your two combos? Its not bad having a low number of them as long as its not completely readable. I've played against a specific person who was playing Ivysaur exclusively and all they would do was fish for UpB kills. Got so readable that I would just air dodge away.

I feel lame saying it, but just try to play against real people and put the time into Yoshi. CPUs are nice since you don't need someone over, but you get bad habits. I actually don't even play during the time between the weekly tournies I go to since I can't play against real players. Watch matches over at the Yoshi matches thread. Mine was from Wednesday last week and its the most recent gameplay of me on video. Watch Vectorman's stuff. Even though he doesn't have much PM experience, he still plays Yoshi very well.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Well, very offensive is the way I play as well. Its hard for me to play defensively but I've been trying to a bit when I play against others that are like that as well. In my experiences with offensive vs defensive, defensive seems to get the upper hand or at least an advantage. I usually just try to play a bit more cautions and try to read them a bit so I can squeeze in some % or small combos.

What are your two combos? Its not bad having a low number of them as long as its not completely readable. I've played against a specific person who was playing Ivysaur exclusively and all they would do was fish for UpB kills. Got so readable that I would just air dodge away.

I feel lame saying it, but just try to play against real people and put the time into Yoshi. CPUs are nice since you don't need someone over, but you get bad habits. I actually don't even play during the time between the weekly tournies I go to since I can't play against real players. Watch matches over at the Yoshi matches thread. Mine was from Wednesday last week and its the most recent gameplay of me on video. Watch Vectorman's stuff. Even though he doesn't have much PM experience, he still plays Yoshi very well.
My two combos are pretty much:
dair -> utilt/ftilt/usmash -> utilt/nair
Side special -> ftilt (Thanks Kaysick for that one)
Any lucky combo I pull off out of nowhere

Reading is another problem of mine. I can sort of do it, but not too well. I play against some other people frequently, however, half of them don't give sustenance, and the other half I can't reliably single, since we mostly do doubles. So I play the cpu's when I play at home. For me it's just a matter of getting better at my combos and getting my thumbs to move faster. Maybe I'll have some practice seshs with a friend or two. I'll also watch you and Vectorman play. I could certainly learn some tricks from you two. :) Other then that, what should I practice? If you saw my video, what did you notice that I could improve on? Thanks a ton! :)

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
My two combos are pretty much:
dair -> utilt/ftilt/usmash -> utilt/nair
Side special -> ftilt (Thanks Kaysick for that one)
Any lucky combo I pull off out of nowhere

Reading is another problem of mine. I can sort of do it, but not too well. I play against some other people frequently, however, half of them don't give sustenance, and the other half I can't reliably single, since we mostly do doubles. So I play the cpu's when I play at home. For me it's just a matter of getting better at my combos and getting my thumbs to move faster. Maybe I'll have some practice seshs with a friend or two. I'll also watch you and Vectorman play. I could certainly learn some tricks from you two. :) Other then that, what should I practice? If you saw my video, what did you notice that I could improve on? Thanks a ton! :)
I honestly think those two are pretty much Yoshi's BnB combos. SideB>anything is great as is. Knowing combos is nice, but I usually do some on a whim since I just know what works. I love to abuse when your opponent is on the ground but not to the point where they can get invincibility frames. Can rack up easy %s.

I tried looking at your video earlier in the matches thread but twitch was being goofy.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
People who think Yoshi is defensive must be trying to emulate Brawl Yoshi tactics. That stuff still works, it's pretty simple (camping with eggs from the ledge, running away and pivot grabbing when they chase you), but you'll lose if you try to do that stuff for a whole match. Characters have too many offensive options for an all defensive style to be valid. Anyone who has played PM or Melee should know that. That's why Ivysaur struggled when first released, and it's why Olimar struggles now.

If you wanna add some more to your Yoshi arsenal, get good at dash dancing and getting grabs. Dthrow>uair>DJ uair/upB. That's my bread and butter.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
People who think Yoshi is defensive must be trying to emulate Brawl Yoshi tactics. That stuff still works, it's pretty simple (camping with eggs from the ledge, running away and pivot grabbing when they chase you), but you'll lose if you try to do that stuff for a whole match. Characters have too many offensive options for an all defensive style to be valid. Anyone who has played PM or Melee should know that. That's why Ivysaur struggled when first released, and it's why Olimar struggles now.

If you wanna add some more to your Yoshi arsenal, get good at dash dancing and getting grabs. Dthrow>uair>DJ uair/upB. That's my bread and butter.
That's a nice BnB. Mine usually is Dthrow>Dair>Utilt/Usmash for Dthrow. As long as you get the little pop up on the sweet spot hit.

Defensive usually doesnt work as well with Yoshi. If someone is playing defensive against you, just try not to rush in as much. Get them to go to you and you can usually end up comboing them.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
So I got my first actual combat experience yesterday with yoshi. He actually has a good number of mix ups and I had fun with him. I just need to get more comfortable with his movement and spacing. I also need more match up experience against the cast of characters.

All and all I need to buckle down and commit to yoshi.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman

I agree with Kaysick. That's a cool combo, delicious BnB. I'll go to the lab with it.

That's a nice BnB. Mine usually is Dthrow>Dair>Utilt/Usmash for Dthrow. As long as you get the little pop up on the sweet spot hit.

Defensive usually doesnt work as well with Yoshi. If someone is playing defensive against you, just try not to rush in as much. Get them to go to you and you can usually end up comboing them.
I'll have to get that combo in the lab as well, as well as finding other things to use. The problem I have with defensive is patience. Easy to fix tho. I'll just keep working at it. Not care about winning for a while and work on my skills, ya know? Thanks for the help guys! :D

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I agree with Kaysick. That's a cool combo, delicious BnB. I'll go to the lab with it.
The beauty of it is that because you can cancel yoshi's doublejump, you can follow them for the second uair no matter how high or low they get sent by the first one. If they manage to get away, just hit 'em with an egg to keep them up there and give yourself time to land, then jump back up to keep the juggle going.

Yoshi's double jump is so great for juggling. He's pretty much guaranteed to get 2 hits before having to touch the ground.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, double jump canceling is pretty great. I have a lot to do in the lab. Thanks everybody for the new stuff to practice! I'll defiantly come back here if I have anything else I'm wondering about. :)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Instead of just going D-Throw > U-Air on everyone, try N-Air or B-Air to lead into further Grabs. You can B-Air + Throw chain Mario across a stage at least 3 times, basically forcing him to jump away, for example. Mix it up, Up isn't the only direction Yoshi can combo off throws, even on fairly light and floating characters, or others at higher %. Go ACROSS the Stage with his combo-game, and you'll open up quite a few options from there.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Instead of just going D-Throw > U-Air on everyone, try N-Air or B-Air to lead into further Grabs. You can B-Air + Throw chain Mario across a stage at least 3 times, basically forcing him to jump away, for example. Mix it up, Up isn't the only direction Yoshi can combo off throws, even on fairly light and floating characters, or others at higher %. Go ACROSS the Stage with his combo-game, and you'll open up quite a few options from there.
Thanks for mentioning this, I do this without even mentioning it in my combo game.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yes thank you for this. I haven't done it, but now I can add this to my arsenal! Thanks again!

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of crouch cancelling run into attacks? D-tilt is one of Yoshi's longer-range attacks with 7 frames startup time with 14 frames endlag, and in BrawlBox I don't see any hurtboxes on it so it seems pretty safe.

didds

Smash Lord

To be honest, I think Yoshi does best slightly defensively against anyone who doesn't destroy him with projectiles. Yoshi's mobility is perfect for staying just out of range and essentially annoying them into approaching. I think most people agree that it's easier to react to someone approaching you, and he's perfect at switching into an aggro mode at a seconds notice if he gets the opening. I suggest egg lay for a good pester move. Long range, shield counter, and with djc yoshi can use it off platform in either direction, and use it as a retreat or an approach. I'm also trying to learn djc egg lay outta shield. I have a theory that egg lay and nair outta shield will be vicious combination of moves to have for outta shield options.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I think Yoshi does best slightly defensively against anyone who doesn't destroy him with projectiles. Yoshi's mobility is perfect for staying just out of range and essentially annoying them into approaching. I think most people agree that it's easier to react to someone approaching you, and he's perfect at switching into an aggro mode at a seconds notice if he gets the opening. I suggest egg lay for a good pester move. Long range, shield counter, and with djc yoshi can use it off platform in either direction, and use it as a retreat or an approach. I'm also trying to learn djc egg lay outta shield. I have a theory that egg lay and nair outta shield will be vicious combination of moves to have for outta shield options.
I see where you're coming from, but sadly, I favor the offensive side. I think Yoshi could do defensive, but, again, I favor very offensive. A good defensive thing you should try out: If you're being pressured on a platform shield drop -> upair. I've been working on my shield drops and I must say, it is an astounding technique.

didds

Smash Lord
I see where you're coming from, but sadly, I favor the offensive side. I think Yoshi could do defensive, but, again, I favor very offensive. A good defensive thing you should try out: If you're being pressured on a platform shield drop -> upair. I've been working on my shield drops and I must say, it is an astounding technique.
Well the nice thing is that Yoshi is flexible enough to cater towards both our styles. I definitely have to start incorporating shield drops into my game though, unfortunately I'm barely managing to shield drop one in five times or so, and that's not even during competitive play.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Well the nice thing is that Yoshi is flexible enough to cater towards both our styles. I definitely have to start incorporating shield drops into my game though, unfortunately I'm barely managing to shield drop one in five times or so, and that's not even during competitive play.
Shield dropping is hard, I haven't fully mastered it yet. Tilting the control stick down or at an angle should do it. Anybody else have any tips on that? I'm curious on what to do better myself.

didds

Smash Lord
Shield dropping is hard, I haven't fully mastered it yet. Tilting the control stick down or at an angle should do it. Anybody else have any tips on that? I'm curious on what to do better myself.
I forgot what video I was watching, but I remember one of the commentators mentioning shield dropping advice that AXE gave. The way he does it is that he'll tilt his control stick into a side position while shielding, and when he wants to shield drop he just slides the stick down into the 45 degree angle. Too fast still leads to a spot dodge, but it's still a hell of a lot easier than finessing the stick straight down.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I forgot what video I was watching, but I remember one of the commentators mentioning shield dropping advice that AXE gave. The way he does it is that he'll tilt his control stick into a side position while shielding, and when he wants to shield drop he just slides the stick down into the 45 degree angle. Too fast still leads to a spot dodge, but it's still a hell of a lot easier than finessing the stick straight down.
From what I've heard it's different in Pm then in melee... But I could be wrong.

didds

Smash Lord
From what I've heard it's different in Pm then in melee... But I could be wrong.
Just from my personal experience it's still pretty similar, and after some work last night I think I'm going to stick with this way of doing it. I imagine it's just going to feel unnatural for awhile, but that comes with the territory of learning something new I suppose.

Rusty_Shackleford

Smash Rookie
Kinda like this

Do it over and over and you won't need to think about it. The most important part is the the initial motion to the side.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Never underestimate the insurance policy tactic you can employ with eggs! ESPECIALLY while edgeguarding against pesky overhead sneakers (pit, dedede). The insurance policy is the act of throwing an egg with full force straight up, so that it will fall right onto Yoshi in a couple seconds. Do this when you know you have time to throw the egg AND STILL employ your standard edge game, such as D-smash or F-air.
If the enemy tries to sneak overhead, they are hit with egg. If the enemy successfully recovers and lands an attack on you, they will be hit with the egg shortly after, or at the very least, forced to shield/dodge, which hinders any hope they had for followups.
Insurance policy can also be used on stage with a spare moment against characters with fast approaches, such as Ike or Sonic.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Never underestimate the insurance policy tactic you can employ with eggs! ESPECIALLY while edgeguarding against pesky overhead sneakers (pit, dedede). The insurance policy is the act of throwing an egg with full force straight up, so that it will fall right onto Yoshi in a couple seconds. Do this when you know you have time to throw the egg AND STILL employ your standard edge game, such as D-smash or F-air.
If the enemy tries to sneak overhead, they are hit with egg. If the enemy successfully recovers and lands an attack on you, they will be hit with the egg shortly after, or at the very least, forced to shield/dodge, which hinders any hope they had for followups.
Insurance policy can also be used on stage with a spare moment against characters with fast approaches, such as Ike or Sonic.
Yup. It's almost like having your own "Hidden Missile" in a way. You can jump then toss it if you have a lot of wiggle room to make the egg come down later.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the strait up egg right at an angle like slightly behind Yoshi? Sometimes I have trouble getting it to work consistently.

Top Bottom