• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dino Dunkin' - Tricks and tips

pressokman

Smash Apprentice
Made this thread so we can post all the new tricks we find

Yoshi's Oos options are now insane. His djc nair or upsmash are both pretty good options now.
A trick i've noticed is that if you djc fast enough yoshi comes out of shield but stays grounded. This mean you can do whatever you want oos like jab or forward smash

Sashimi

Smash Ace
A trick i've noticed is that if you djc fast enough yoshi comes out of shield but stays grounded
This option is really good! If you're interested, it has a name: Double Jump Land. It can also be used to instantly land on platforms while rising through them.

A great place to look for Yoshi tricks is Melee (watch aMSa or V3ctorMan); a lot of the combos work in Project M.

As for new PM stuff, some of my favourites so far:

Dair > Uptilt > whatever you want
Using eggs to control your opponent's movement/potentially hit them into the egg

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
dthrow>nair is practically free on most of the cast, near as I can tell. If you can't get nair, dthrow>uair is still a good old standby.

At lower %s, once you get the dthrow>nair, it sets up a tech chase opportunity, which sets up for easy dash grabs to reset the situation all over again.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
If you Fair your opponent off the ground, you can get an Uair out of it at Mid-High %.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Any character with a crawl can do this, but i noticed that if u crawl backwards towards the ledge, u will snap to the ledge as soon as you let go of the stick. This would allow you to just crawl at the ledge, waiting to see if your opponent recovers on stage, and if they go to the ledge, you can snipe it from them very quickly. Pretty good option coverage, if I do say so myself, and Yoshi has access to it :yoshi:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
That's neat, but Yoshi actually has a much better option. Yoshi's double jump has two properties that allow you to grab the ledge very quickly:
1. You can turn around with it.
2. The first few frames actually make Yoshi move downwards.

If you see your opponent going for the ledge, you can quickly run offstage, turnaround double jump and grab the ledge. Because you can face away from the stage while waiting, it's less obvious than wavedashing backwards or doing the crawl thing, because for those, you have to commit to facing away from your opponent (so they know that's what you're doing). Also, because of Yoshi's armor on his double jump, you can often get away with grabbing the ledge, even if your opponent hits you while you're doing it.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
i know how his doublejump works, but that doesn't give you onstage options if you're on the ledge. If you're comfortable with the idea of waiting on stage, and then trying to snipe the ledge with a turnaround double jump, go for it. Backwards crawling literally only requires you to let go of the stick, or don't. That's pretty quick and easy.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Tech chase with side b
Recover from under the stage with rising (holding jump) uair, its pretty safe and is very likely to shield poke if you have good spacing
Get VERY comfortable with usmash and its spacing, its hotboxes are big and its a great move
If your opponant doesn't have too many disjointed hitboxes dont be afraid to approach with side b, it will probably trade and it pops them up so nicely, but dont overdo it

Scatz

Smash Champion
From messing with the game a few days ago, I believe his jab properties from Brawl remain, which means that he can technically lock people in before they're able to attack or shield using jab 1 repeatedly. Moving to higher percents, if everything is still intact, means that he can link jab 1 into Dsmash or DownB when the enemy is at kill percents. I'll need to check how much the new fall speed + gravity alters this method though.

Other stuff he kept from Brawl was the ability to wavebounce his Neutral B. Using this completely flips all your momentum to the opposite direction, which can help when coming from above and helps keep your DJ intact in case your opponent smacks through your HA.

Lastly, Yoshi is able to cancel his DownB animation when grabbing the ledge. You have to reset the analog stick back to neutral immediately after inputting DownB. The range in Brawl was insanely good, but since the ledge range is much smaller, you'll need to be careful not to kill yourself from being too far away or under.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've tried testing the Jab1>DownB thing at kill %, and it seems to work pretty well. At least against CPUs, for whatever that's worth. I'll try it out against some people when I play tomorrow.

The DownB ledge snap works pretty easily too. Just make sure you're facing the right way, lol. Luckily it can be reversed, so it's pretty much always an option.

Scatz

Smash Champion
The way it worked in Brawl was that opponents couldn't attack out of the lock unless the jab was stale. Their only option was to DI out of it. I've done this in Brawl tournaments, so if it works the same way, then Yoshi's jab pressure game will help his offense even more lol.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
So I'm finally getting around to learning Yoshi since I have suspicions that he's secret OP, and I'm really liking how the hybrid double-jump mechanics are working for him. By holding jump for a short time, I've been able to do some crazy float-cancel-like pressure with stuff like BAir and DAir. Speaking of BAir, I know in Brawl it could cancel nearly any projectile, (i.e. Samus 100% charge shot, Lucario Aura Sphere etc.) anyone know if that's still the case?

Super fun character, definitely gonna put in some lab time with him.

Scatz

Smash Champion
It can cancel smaller projectiles, but can't cancel Aura sphere or charged shot. Although, you could clank with it in Brawl. Don't know if that's the case still, but if the hitbox is unchanged, I wouldn't see why not.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Just messing around against CPUs.

I threw two eggs into the air, then my dash attack knocked the CPU into the first egg, which knocked the CPU into the second egg, which knocked the CPU right into the F-smash I was charging.

Eggs are pretty good.

Kagnerac

Smash Rookie
Any tips on learning DJC? I can EGE fairly well to where I'm just working on reducing the height of the jumps to be able to spam eggs faster, but for some reason DJC just eludes me.(EGE only took me 3 or so minutes to figure out once I knew the inputs. These forums are awesome.) I can DJC sometimes, but other times I can't tell that I DJC'd until I realize I accidentally whiffed the aerial and can't recover because I DJC'd and didn't know it.

I also like using dair to combo into grab(low %) or nair into anything and everything that I don't whiff like a doofus. At medium % on a few characters it seems that Yoshi can even combo dair into dair again.

Also... First post. The goofy green dino finally got me out of lurking!

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Welcome to the Yoshi boards!

DJC has many uses, so beyond the tech skill, you don't just "learn to DJC." It's more like finding different uses for it.

Yoshi has the unique (I think?) ability of being able to turn around with his DJC, meaning you can really mess with your opponent by shifting your momentum. Other DJC characters can do this momentum shift, but Yoshi has the option of using Fair behind himself, and Bair in front. This makes it a lot more safe, as you have multiple options. Nair is usually the smallest commitment, but basically every aerial has its use in this case.

You can also use DJC to instantly fast-fall, even if you were rising beforehand, so that's another good mixup.

However, the most important (and most difficult, in my opinion) use for DJC is as a replacement for SHFFLing. Yoshi's SHFFL is fairly slow, but you can use DJC very low to the ground to throw out fast moves (Nair and Uair are the best in this case) and instantly fast-fall out of them.

If you're having trouble with DJC, I'm not sure what to say. It's very easy once you get the hang of it. Try going into practice mode and double-jumping before you use aerials, and vary the timing between the DJ and the attack. You'll find certain timings have different uses (too long a delay, and you can't instant-fastfall. Not enough delay, and you can't turn around. Hold the jump button and you'll do a rising DJC. etc). If you're using tap-jump to DJC, that might explain some issues with accidentally DJCing. I recommend using X or Y, and the analogue stick to control momentum shifts.

If you're not sure when you're DJCing, listen for the sound (and of course, know whether or not you hit the jump button). Even if you cancel it quickly, you should be able to hear the beginning of the humming sound Yoshi makes during his DJ. Once you get used to DJC, you'll be able to recognize how Yoshi's momentum changes during DJC and you won't even need the sound.

I'm not sure about Dair > the things you mentioned (though some of them seem safe), but I really like Dair > Uptilt. It works at almost any % and leads to juggles at low % and kill moves at high %.

Invader_Zirk

Smash Rookie
Tech chase with side b
If your opponant doesn't have too many disjointed hitboxes dont be afraid to approach with side b, it will probably trade and it pops them up so nicely, but dont overdo it
This. If you're spaced just right, Egg Roll away from your opponent and during the short bounce into the air, reverse direction and hit them. If they're shielding, they'll mistime the approach and try to jump or grab out of shield, giving you a solid hit. Remember to mix it up with different momentum on the initial Egg Roll bounce. I think this is one of Yoshi's best mindgame tools and combo openers.

Invader_Zirk

Smash Rookie
Just messing around against CPUs.

I threw two eggs into the air, then my dash attack knocked the CPU into the first egg, which knocked the CPU into the second egg, which knocked the CPU right into the F-smash I was charging.

Eggs are pretty good.
I got this to work against a friend. He was so confused, I had to explain it to him after the game.
So yeah, eggs are pretty good.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
At high %'s, dair > usmash is an amazing tool. Finished off tons of stocks doing this, it's one of my main simple killing combos as well.

Dair has a great amount of hitstun and an amazing amount at high %'s. It's one of my most common moves. It can also "spike" other players. Another great tool and in my opinion a safer tool than using the fair meteor. I use dair so much since if the opponent is completely grounded and has even a low %, they will pop up a little bit, allowing you to go to town with combos. Also an amazing tool for pressure.

Yoshi's dtilt is amazing as well. It has a great amount of range(You can even pause the game and see how stupid far it is) and it pushes opponents pretty far, even at low %'s.

Even though its hard for me to actively use it, don't forget to use Edge Egging. Fall down off edge, press X or Y (or other jump key and not tap jump), UpB. I would suggest to not use this tactic if your opponent can poke you at the ledge. You'll waste your DJ and easily lose a stock.

Yoshi's Nair is an amazing tool for trading as well. Yoshi is a tank for trading. I usually end up throwing off someone's combo just by using the Nair since it comes out very fast (possibly frame 1).

SideB > Utilt > Dair is one of my favorite combos to do that just racks up %'s.
SideB actually gets some armor once it starts glowing yellow (when you're going the same direction without turning).

JOE!

Smash Hero
Cool find, I love the new range on Egg Lay... but what do you guys recommend as good followups for when they pop out? I've tried Bair and Dair to set up more %, but it seems the only real safe thing is an egg toss where they'll be. Oh, and occasionally Usmash can be used if you time it right, since his noggin is invincible and all that.

Egg roll is so good now, I use it to not only start combos but escape them too: often you can roll away from further attacks and plow through them / escape onto a platform and roll to safety.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's dtilt is amazing as well. It has a great amount of range(You can even pause the game and see how stupid far it is) and it pushes opponents pretty far, even at low %'s.
SideB actually gets some armor once it starts glowing yellow (when you're going the same direction without turning).
I think D Tilt has set knockback, actually. Just something I noticed.

Side b is a great move. Using it is great for a lot of things. Like I've done Side B> Ftilt > Something else. You can also use Side b>utilt according to Kaysick (i'll have to try it sometime...). I just need to go to the lab and find some really cool kombos, as well as mastering the infamous "Shield Drop". So far I can only do it like 35% of the time, and 0% of that time I do something after it. Right now it's just a panic move for me, that I barely can do. :laugh:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
In 3.0 it was possible to hit twice with Side B (hit once with the moving hitbox, hit once with the cancelling hitbox) and then Utilt. I haven't tested it in the new version, but it's pretty good.

JOE!

Smash Hero
You can still hit twice

EDIT:

You can hit twice on fast fallers / people who CC / if you hit the roll and they are sent into the release. It is kinda tricky to get both hits the way you'd normally expect on a good portion of folks.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Yea at the time of me posting that I didn't know it was a set knockback.

I spam Dtilt at low %s since it throws people off in my experience and easily gets em off the side of the stage. That usually allows me to do some kind of combo.

SideB>Utilt is easily a BnB combo.
Grab>Dthrow>Dair>Possible Usmash at high %s is a great combo.
Dair>Usmash at Dair's sweet spot at high %s is my most common kill move.

Got lots of knowledge with Yoshi in my noggin, just waiting to be picked at. I'm able to play against great people weekly.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Can side b be easily beat out by another attack if it's expected?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I don't think it has great priority. Definitely not a mindless approach tool.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Can side b be easily beat out by another attack if it's expected?
Yea it can. Especially projectiles. Unless you're going to one direction without turning for a short amount of time, you get (what seems like) a bit of armor. You'll either go right through it like armor or it clangs and you both cancel.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
That's what I figured. I just picked yoshi up a few days ago (Monday or Tuesday I think). It does seem like a pretty viable option for a tech chase/approach mix up occasionally.

So far I'm liking yoshi quite a bit. I've been suffering from identity crisis in PM because of all the viable characters. Was using pit and roy (was a pretty good fox/falco in melee and still am in PM). Trying not to fall back on melee mains in this game.

Got 3rd out of 24 people at my first outing with roy(well until winners finals and proceeded to get stomped by neon' s lucas and had to grab falco but still lost), and I think yoshi is a overall better character than he is so I want to make a push with him to be my primary with pit/roy/falco being my alts.

What's ya'lls opinion on yoshi compared to the cast?

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
That's what I figured. I just picked yoshi up a few days ago (Monday or Tuesday I think). It does seem like a pretty viable option for a tech chase/approach mix up occasionally.

So far I'm liking yoshi quite a bit. I've been suffering from identity crisis in PM because of all the viable characters. Was using pit and roy (was a pretty good fox/falco in melee and still am in PM). Trying not to fall back on melee mains in this game.

Got 3rd out of 24 people at my first outing with roy(well until winners finals and proceeded to get stomped by neon lucas and had to grab falco but still lost), and I think yoshi is a overall better character than he is so I want to make a push with him to be my primary with pit/roy/falco being my alts.

What's ya'lls opinion on yoshi compared to the cast?
He's my favorite character in the cast. By far. He's wonky, goofy (but not as much as Luigi), and has a pretty big learning curve. I think he's one of the most underrated. I've 4 stocked players that expect less of me when I play Yoshi. Learned all of my combos just by playing against CPUs and especially with all the match ups I get weekly.

You absolutely have to get his recovery down though. One crucial mistake and that costs you a stock. People that play against me or watch me play can't get over certain combos and the amount of hitstun that he has. I play with two of the PMBR members that are both in Game Balancing and they even say Yoshi is pretty crazy.

I also have a Yellow Yoshi plushie that I bring to tournies, my character in the real world. :)

You need to have a lot of confidence, in my opinion. There's a handful of bad match ups for Yoshi, at least in my experience. Keep your head on straight and you'll do amazing.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
^ Agreed, this character is pretty crazy (although I'd say he might be weirder than Luigi - but it's close!)

I think Yoshi has the potential to be very good, top tier even, if played to his full potential. The problem is that the buffs Yoshi received make it easy to play at a somewhat decent level without learning any of the tricky stuff that was so good in 64 and Melee (DJC for example). I've seen quite a few players on stream do very basic stuff, and still do okay (but not great), and I think it might be easy to fall into the habit of sticking to that basic stuff, which is okay, except that there's a whole lot of really good options that can be easily missed out on, and these options are definitely worth learning!

If parrying gets fixed, I see the character going very far. Even without it, the character's high tier in my opinion.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
What happened to parrying? Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did not fix it since he can now jump OoS.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
^ Agreed, this character is pretty crazy (although I'd say he might be weirder than Luigi - but it's close!)

I think Yoshi has the potential to be very good, top tier even, if played to his full potential. The problem is that the buffs Yoshi received make it easy to play at a somewhat decent level without learning any of the tricky stuff that was so good in 64 and Melee (DJC for example). I've seen quite a few players on stream do very basic stuff, and still do okay (but not great), and I think it might be easy to fall into the habit of sticking to that basic stuff, which is okay, except that there's a whole lot of really good options that can be easily missed out on, and these options are definitely worth learning!

If parrying gets fixed, I see the character going very far. Even without it, the character's high tier in my opinion.
I think he's definitely high tier material. I've talked to a PMBR member and they said they're working on the parry glitch with him. I like the DJC with Yoshi but the fact that if I get hit off the edge when I do that at the end of his armor, I'm screwed. Thats why I barely ever use it. DJC Nair is amazing, but I just don't want to lose my recovery option.

What happened to parrying? Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did not fix it since he can now jump OoS.
Currently, if you parry with Yoshi you still have the possibility to get hit by the move you parried.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
If they're trying to fix parrying, then I have very high hopes for this game!

Yeah, DJC has always been risky for Yoshi. I think that's partially why it's so tough to learn (that and the fact that you can do so many things with it). It's definitely worth the risk, though, if you can learn when to use it and when not to use it. I imagine that your "less is more" approach to DJC would work well.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
I think he's definitely high tier material. I've talked to a PMBR member and they said they're working on the parry glitch with him. I like the DJC with Yoshi but the fact that if I get hit off the edge when I do that at the end of his armor, I'm screwed. Thats why I barely ever use it. DJC Nair is amazing, but I just don't want to lose my recovery option.

Currently, if you parry with Yoshi you still have the possibility to get hit by the move you parried.
Ah, so that's why I feel I'm not doing it right.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Playing with egg lay a bit more, on the usual suspects (fast fallers) you can defitely get a Usmash out of it which I feel can be great given how good the reach and speed are.

Anyone else find any good options after you lay an egg?

Top Bottom