• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dimensional Cape Guide

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I've seen Squeak do Uair (the opponent DI'd horizontally) and get a quick FSDCS (Forward Shift Dimensional Cape Slash)

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
You can ledge cancel DC Shift slash and of you do it right you have all your jumps and recovery moves, including another DC

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
(This has its own thread, link is in my signature)

Ok guys, now I may or may not have figured out something completely/half new with Meta Knight's DC. What I was able to do is grab the ledge and do a ledge drop DC behind the opponent and turn around to power strike them offstage, sort of like the Oaken Reversal.

This is what I thought that move was at first, but Oakwood mentions that a quick strike is needed for his. So is the Oaken reversal simply a quick strike with a turn around back onstage without going to the ledge? Or is it simply a move up from the ledge and then a pivot quick strike forward?

Here is a link to a video demonstration by myself:

(sorry for bad video making, I made it on a laptop in a car on a long car drive and spent like 5 minutes on it lol)

How to:

First of all, make sure you understand the "move" and the "shift" like Oakwood describes. This technique takes advantage of how those things work.

What you need to do first is move straight up to slightly in front of your opponent, as if you are going to cancel the shift and strike them forward from the ledge.

The second step is to then shift forward so that you are behind your opponent. The reason you do this is so that you can turn around just like you would in a quick strike, however this required pretty good timing. If you simply move behind and try to turn around, then you will shift towards the ledge and do what I show in the video as the common mistake.

After you shift, you need to quickly flick the stick to the other side in order to turn around. To practice this, try just going on the ground and doing a straight forward power strike (move and shift in the same direction), however turn around at the last second. You should go the same distance forward but strike the other way in the end. I would recommend doing this as the timing is very tight.

I find that the best way to do it is holding up/diagonal (up is easier) for as long as possible, and then really quickly move the stick towards the stage, and the immediately flick it back. From like 5 minutes of TAS testing I know that you can reverse MK's strike direction between the frames of the little lens flare light and him appearing, I'm not sure about before then. But that's why doing it fast is the easiest in my opinion.

If necessary, I could upload a video of my hands as I do this for a better understanding of how it's done.

The "Mistake" Strike:

If you're trying to be really fancy, you can actually use the backward strike at the ledge to hit a recovering opponent, but I don't think that it would be very optimal to do in a match. I managed to hit a recovery CPU Pit with it once, and there were definitely better options. It's just a cool thing to know really.

It might be easiest on a recovering Fox that's trying to go onstage, but that's probably the only chance you will get to use it. It's really cool if you do hit it though!

Sorry if this is not new tech after all, or it was somehow described in Oakwood's awesome guide. At the very least this post gives much more insight on how it is performed as well as a video demonstration.

And if the Oaken Reversal is indeed from the ledge like I thought, then this does have the advantage of being a power strike and therefore being more powerful.

I also found the Oaken Reversal to have tight timing to do it right when trying it out, so I guess this could just be another option if you prefer it (unlikely though, mostly just for style lol). Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Really cool tech, silly name, especially since this has 0 to do with Pokemon. If you wanna use your name to list a new advanced technique, make sure its clever.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been doing a similar thing actually! Wasn't sure if anyone was doing it because I haven't seen anyone so far.

I use it for when I'm hogging the ledge and the opponent is forced to up-B on stage and (depending on the character) I want to punish the landing lag.

I fall back from the ledge (I usually push down instead of away) and use an aerial jump towards the stage and immediately down-B to reappear on the other side of them and slash them back off stage.

How I do mine:
  • Let go of ledge
  • Use aerial jump towards stage
  • Down-B
  • Immediately press the control stick away from center stage
  • Immediately press the C-stick towards center stage
It comes out crazy fast because you don't actually move while in the cape, you just shift.

For more distance, you have to travel forward in the cape obviously by using the control stick to move closer in to center stage, but then the steps are the same after that.

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
I can see what you're saying, that's pretty cool! Seems odd to hit them towards the stage but I guess it's a really nice mixup and can tack on some nice percent, or even kill if they're at a crazy high percent. And styling is always encouraged in my book :3

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I've been doing a similar thing actually! Wasn't sure if anyone was doing it because I haven't seen anyone so far.

I use it for when I'm hogging the ledge and the opponent is forced to up-B on stage and (depending on the character) I want to punish the landing lag.

I fall back from the ledge (I usually push down instead of away) and use an aerial jump towards the stage and immediately down-B to reappear on the other side of them and slash them back off stage.

How I do mine:
  • Let go of ledge
  • Use aerial jump towards stage
  • Down-B
  • Immediately press the control stick away from center stage
  • Immediately press the C-stick towards center stage
It comes out crazy fast because you don't actually move while in the cape, you just shift.

For more distance, you have to travel forward in the cape obviously by using the control stick to move closer in to center stage, but then the steps are the same after that.
I do this too, but i also use this trick to force Cape KOs. Ill down throws them near the ledge. They don't tech. I DC forwards. They roll towards center stage trying to regain stage control and punish my laggy DC. I read that and shift backwards and strike backwards. Works like a charm. But it's gotta be done out of a read.

This requires the movement DC.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can see what you're saying, that's pretty cool! Seems odd to hit them towards the stage but I guess it's a really nice mixup and can tack on some nice percent, or even kill if they're at a crazy high percent. And styling is always encouraged in my book :3
It hits them away from the stage. You appear closer to center stage than they are you and slash away from center stage.

I'll see if I can make a quick video

Update @ MegaAmoonguss MegaAmoonguss @ victinivcreate1 victinivcreate1 I haven't really set up the capture card yet so it's all interlaced and whatnot

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Video, interlaced as hell:

Speaking of, does anyone know of or have a quick guide to getting the video de-interlaced? I'm using VLC as my capture program and even when I click de-interlace it still looks like that video.

Here's another one that shows how far behind MK the slash can hit (end of vid)

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Oh ok so it's like the Oaken Reversal except instead of DCing immediately from the ledge you short hop first to make it easier, that's cool! I'll definitely try to use that as it's a hell of a lot easier than the Oaken Reversal or the power strike version of it lol

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
You know what, since as far as I know my power strike from the ledge is new tech, I'm going to call it the "Mega Reversal" (taking after the Oaken Reversal) because it sounds cool :happysheep:

Top Bottom