• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dimensional Cape Guide

Oakwood

Smash Cadet
Hey friends! I think that Dimensional Cape is the ****, so I spent a ridiculous amount of time learning exactly how it functions in Project M. I personally feel that mastering this move will give you a tremendous advantage and might even define how the best players end up unlocking MK's full potential! Hope you enjoy!

I make gratuitous use of pictures as a visual aid, so the guide is hosted on my google drive. Here's the link!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z0KdrQVzGP0bOzeYHcRXAQuZOYPIne_EFYlC0xd_bkI/edit?usp=sharing

I'm also working on a video version of the guide to post on youtube.

Comments and input welcome!

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
damn this is good. I understood what I assumed was "enough" to use DC effectively (read: downb -> instantly use c-stick to punish whiffs), but it's clearly a lot deeper than I think most people expected

choodles

Smash Rookie
This really goes to show how good the Dimensional Cape can be when put in the hands of the right user. 10/10, can't wait to start using some of these tricks myself.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Would just like to offer my thanks as this definitely improved my play recently. Taught me a few things that I've been using frequently.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Does anyone else use Dimensional Cape on the ground into the air, and then Dimensional cape in the air to another position. It's kinda silly but a fun mindgame and positioning tool. Great guide by the way Oaken. I'll have to employ that mad reversal.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else use Dimensional Cape on the ground into the air, and then Dimensional cape in the air to another position. It's kinda silly but a fun mindgame and positioning tool. Great guide by the way Oaken. I'll have to employ that mad reversal.
RabidJackal uses it! He gets me all mind gamed up with that strat all the time :/

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
This is a very informative guide, and I thank you for it! More MK players need need to see this.

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
this was an excellent guide. I started using Mk two weeks ago and I knew DC was great. But I would have never though this great. Keep up the good work my friend.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
Great guide but I don't understand the difference between shifting and moving... The guide says to look below but it only mentions how much further you can move with the shift.

EclipseKirby

Smash Cadet
After you fully disappear from Dimensional Cape, you can move in any direction. That's moving. Call the spot MK moves to X. When MK does his DC attack, he can also move an additional distance near instantly from position X left or right when the attack comes out. That's shifting. Shifting's what gives IDC the variable ranges it has.

br8k

Coolkid
I'll call it the br8k. It'll be my own special trick on my quest to not suck at this game.

Oak just underestimated one basic quality, and I'd rather give you guys the satisfaction of figuring it out than just tell you. It's a simple thing that's hard to pull off and opens up even more options.

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
So you name it after yourself but don't explain what it is? That makes zero sense. I can just as easily claim I've discovered a new technique called 'The Jackal'. When somebody else finds a new technique I can then just claim it as my own and say it was 'The Jackal' all along...

br8k

Coolkid
So you name it after yourself but don't explain what it is? That makes zero sense. I can just as easily claim I've discovered a new technique called 'The Jackal'. When somebody else finds a new technique I can then just claim it as my own and say it was 'The Jackal' all along...
Truly your logic is irrefutable. It's my secret mysterious signature move. So mysterious. So secret. You wish you knew what it was. It's pretty awesome. It's fun having secret knowledge of a flashy and skillful attack, although once I use it in a recorded match, everybody with half a brain will realize how to do it pretty quickly. For now, I'm calling it a Break.

When it's inevitably discovered by someone who isn't a pretentious jerkface, it'll probably be given a mundane name, as it lends itself naturally to that. And if that happens prior to me demonstrating any kind of mastery of it in a recorded game, then so be it, and I won't try to get any recognition for having found it earlier. If I CAN impress anyone with my usage of it, then maybe I'll deserve the name. It would be too conceited to try to get it named after me solely because I found it, if I can't make a real impression of skill with it. I do think "break" or "dimensional break" would be a cool name for it, though.

Moreover, I want to encourage individual experimentation rather than everyone congregating together to decide what the Right Way To Do Things is. You can find it yourselves (I stumbled over it by accident) and develop your own strategies with it. If I told you about it, I would force my ideas of how to use it upon you and you might close yourself off to other options, as has already happened in this thread due to Oak's oversight.

Heck, I'm half expecting that high level Meta Knights already know about it, although I may be wrong.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
None of you noobs can know about the SpiderMad, let alone have the technical prowess it pull it off. It's so super secret and controversially popular in parts of Europe that even the top prestigious world fighting game players haven't seen a glance into the insight concerning its potential. It was once recorded on camera during a visit to an in-and-out burger.

I want to encourage trial and error throughout the population of rodent mice to re-create it in a lab experiment

Last edited:

br8k

Coolkid
None of you noobs can know about the SpiderMad, let alone have the technical prowess it pull it off. It's so super secret and controversially popular in parts of Europe that even the top prestigious world fighting game players haven't seen a glance into the insight concerning its potential. It was once recorded on camera during a visit to an in-and-out burger.

I want to encourage trial and error throughout the population of rodent mice to re-create it in a lab experiment
hahahaha excellent.

I pretty much guarantee it's ledge cancelling.
Negative.

Last edited:

QWA

Smash Apprentice
It's pronounced as "break," and it's what I'm calling this ultimate hidden technique I discovered that I'm not telling you guys.

I'm sure you all can figure it out quickly enough if you just think about it and experiment, though.
At this point, I'm tempted to tell everyone what it is. However, it's fun being in on something like this. This is a difficult predicament, indeed.

br8k

Coolkid
At this point, I'm tempted to tell everyone what it is. However, it's fun being in on something like this. This is a difficult predicament, indeed.
Hm yeah. Given how situational (but flashy!) of a move it ultimately is, I probably should've just left it at one vague hint and then left the thread, or just not posted at all. The attention and resentment is fun tho. :wario:

Explaining it still feels out of the question, because it honestly should've been found before now and it's completely ridiculous if it wasn't. I'm a fairly new Meta Knight player. I'm terrible. Surely some pro must've found this and just neglected to mention its existence. And the attempts to find out what I'm talking about might lead the people on this board to discover other, more legitimately obscure tactics.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Probably everyone knows just too many techs with DC to guess which one you mean -,- I don't think anyone neglects to mention its existence

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
You're not an inspiration making people play better or differently. Everybody playing friendlies is trying new things already. If you find something you think isn't out there already, you share it. That's exactly what this board is for. Coming here and taking this GREAT, HELPFUL thread and making it your guessing game attention farm doesn't serve anyone.

br8k

Coolkid
You're not an inspiration making people play better or differently. Everybody playing friendlies is trying new things already. If you find something you think isn't out there already, you share it. That's exactly what this board is for. Coming here and taking this GREAT, HELPFUL thread and making it your guessing game attention farm doesn't serve anyone.
Sure, don't even try to find it. You're right about the attention farming being pointless. I'm out.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ Oakwood Oakwood I need a video, I've read this guide twice and it still confuses me of how to get the right distances I want with the shifts and stuff

AlmightySo

Smash Apprentice
Very informative. Also any guaranteed combos to dc? I've noticed upair to dc is really good of an option. if they DI away do the DC if they DI up more upairs/upb. Anybody else got some DC combos?

JABS

Smash Cadet
Dtilt to DC is one of the few early game options you have. Although its possible as a combo it should be noted that such a powerful move, being as punishable as it is, should be saved as the KO move as not to stale its power. Utilt is also another combo option that guarantees you a Cape for bad DI at certain percentages, or Uair chase if they do DI. And victiniv, for easy understanding if you perform DC don't move Meta at all and move the c stick the way Meta faces; the distance he moves when he appears vs. where he started IS the shift. the shift is not a move itself, it is the distance Meta Knight moves when he attacks with DC, it is a relatively small distance compared to the amount you can move him with the control stick. Does that clear things up a bit?

Two more things:
1. Oaken, I will assist you in making the video when I compose the video for Cape Bouncing. so consult me whenever.
2. And Boy...what the heck is the point in holding back info that can help other people. Consider that the whole point of the smashboard forums is to share wisdom and knowledge and also gain some from others. The reason anyone even comes here is to learn, no? If you have nothing that you intend to share, say nothing at all and save the members a wild goose chase. Also, whatever anyone here in these forums has thought they have discovered. The pros and other people have found out loooong ago way before anyone here.
That's just my two sense. Remember, There is always someone better than you are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom