• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's Last Round Up. Dillon the AT (In glorious HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm looking up things about the game, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned things like the Crystal Bomb or Crystal Freeze.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I would prefer Arma-mode. Just like I would prefer Giga Mac for Mac's final smash. I like the transformations.
Idk just something tells me that Sakurai would choose a character like dillon.

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Dillon is possible. It's hard to say since there are much fewer characters to chose from this time around that anyone could be fair game (well, within reason). It could happen. I don't rule it out.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Good. I mean, in a comparison to characters such as Isaac and Saki. I see him more likely than them. Albeit I'm going on speculation; the only characters from a new series that would be more likely than him would be Shulk or a Xenoblade rep, and Little Mac.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And again, this addition would be pretty welcomed in general. The character has received positive reception, despite being from an download only title.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Good. I mean, in a comparison to characters such as Isaac and Saki. I see him more likely than them. Albeit I'm going on speculation; the only characters from a new series that would be more likely than him would be Shulk or a Xenoblade rep, and Little Mac.

I do think that Shulk is more likely to get in; a shoe-in even. The problem is everyone else. There are probably 7-8 characters who are definite and then everyone else. Dillon fits in the latter. There are going to be thing that hold these characters back, but namely, for Dillon, it's his exposure. The game is very well liked, though it wasn't as successful as other games. It remains to be seen what happens with the next game, but I'm rooting for him.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Im aware his game didnt sell excessively well. But I just have a guy feeling; because of the kind of character he is. Aesthetically.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
I love this character. Personally, I would love to see him as a new, playable character. I feel Dillon has a lot of Smash potential. And if not a playable character, at least as an AT.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Since a sequel for this game, titled "Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger" is coming to North America April 11, I hope this means the odds of him being in Sm4sh will increase.

Which reminds me, I GOT to go back and finish the first game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I never really played his game nor I intend too, but I would like a western-based character for the next Smash, just for variety's sake. Still, I've seen some gameplay videos and it seems to me like a lot of his moves would be too similar to Sonic's. Am I wrong or what? I never saw him using his pistols or I don't know, dynamite, which would be cool.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yes, the thing is that out of 20 minutes of gameplay I've seen, he's rollin' for like 15.
Any example of different moves?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
After the Nintendo Direct officially confirming The Last Ranger, I think his chances have gone up significantly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If he continues to get games in the future (past these two) then eventually he'd definitely be a legitimate contender, and I'd totally support him, but even with his new game, two eShop appearances (which will likely only receive average reception again, though I'd love to be proven wrong) and decent popularity isn't enough to put him at the same level as the other potential candidates (that have actual decent chances). This game does, however, pretty much guarantee an AT spot, I'd say.

Seriously though, a squid assassin in the middle of the desert is all kinds of awesome. ;)

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Damn it....I wanted to be the one to bump this....
I think this guarantees an AT, and a sticker. As for boosting character chances; before I saw 50%. Now I see about 55 or 60.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If he continues to get games in the future (past these two) then eventually he'd definitely be a legitimate contender, and I'd totally support him, but even with his new game, two eShop appearances (which will likely only receive average reception again, though I'd love to be proven wrong) and decent popularity isn't enough to put him at the same level as the other potential candidates (that have actual decent chances). This game does, however, pretty much guarantee an AT spot, I'd say.

Seriously though, a squid assassin in the middle of the desert is all kinds of awesome. ;)
I know I've said this before, but I guess I'll elaborate on it.

Yes, Dillon isn't at the same level as other characters; however, with the pool of characters fir Smash 4, it's hard to distinguish between choices. 64 added the main Nintendo characters. Melee added in most of the other prominent characters from those series. Ones who could easily be recognized by those who were not necessarily fans of the series (Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Mewtwo). Consider this the cream of the crop in terms of characters. Brawl added in the secondary characters Melee and 64 could not. These are characters like Wario, Diddy, Meta-Knight, Dedede and Wolf. These characters are popular but stick out less by those who aren't fans of those series. Brawl pretty much got everyone else which makes adding characters for SSB4 harder. SSB4 is basically playing with the scraps of characters, and not counting new characters its going to be like that for the duration of the series.

Right now, there are only about 7 characters who are definites and ones everyone considers to be good as in. They are: Little Mac, Takamaru, Shulk, Palutena, King K. Rool, Ridley, and probably a new Pokemon (we can say Zoroark for now). After that, it's up in the air. The 7 I mentioned are very popular (with maybe the exception of the last one, though Pokemon is popular enough to justify just about anyone) and prominent in their series. The rest usually have something going against them and there are quite a lot of them. These characters include (get ready for this..............)

Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Ghirahim, Waddle Dee, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Medusa, Chrom, Karate Joe, Sheriff, and Dillon.

Given, there are a few I could have added and I'm sure I forgot a few. I didn't add third party characters as they can be a discussion all on their own. There is enough to say any one of these could get in for different reasons but they all lack something. Smash Brothers games add quote a bit. 64 added 12, Melee added 13, and Brawl added 15, though Sonic wasn't originally plans so it is more like 14. As such, 13 is likely how many characters will be added. This means we will have another 6 characters out of a decent sized polls which could possibly be bigger. So, as you can see, it's not as easy to say "Dillon wont be in because he doesn't have what the other have," because that's true for everyone.

Lastly, if Dillon is not a playable character, he will be an assist trophy. Also the squid character is baddass.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
With the sequel, I'm more hopeful than ever that Dillion could make a Smash appearance. I loved the first and have every intention of purchasing the second (hopefully, Nintendo will put in those [!] help boxes, as I'm not ashamed to admit I would have preferred them in the first title, which I have not yet beaten).

As for his Final Smash--although we could go in a number of directions (dynamite, Grocks attacking, maybe something to do with the train in The Last Ranger), I've got to go with Arma-mode. I prefer any Final Smash that ties in to the character's actual special (ie: Sonic/Super Sonic). It would have to play out like Wario's Wario-Man. It just fits.

(In Brawl, I played out the matches of potential Sonic rivals; ie: Sonic vs Mario [mascots], Sonic vs Falcon [fastest character]. I think fans and even the developers might have a lot of fun with two anthropomorphic animals whose main attack is rolling into a ball. One's built for speed, the other for power.)

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Although I did want Dillion to be a playable character (which I still do) at first I doubted his move pool, only seeing him using his spin moves and claw attacks and his turrets for his final smash, but as I looked more into the game I saw that he had Arma-mode, and Bombs at his disposal outside of his most known attacks, which makes him a more viable contender, which excites me even more, hopefully the "Red Flash" makes it

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillion's sequel is officially announced. From what little is revealed it seems grander than the first game

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least the upcoming sequel may help Dillon have some involvement in the next Smash Bros., even if it's just an Assist Trophy role.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@SmashChu
Yeah, I agree that most of those characters you listed do belong in those respective groups, and like usual it won't be just the characters from the top-tier of likelihood that get in, but I still don't think Dillon even really belongs in the second category. Looking at previous installments, Sakurai has been fairly picky when adding new non-retro series, and while the bar might be slightly lower this time around than it was previously due to the decreasing amount of viable "A-list" characters left, if he didn't find merit in including series with significantly more games/popularity/impact/higher reception/etc. than Dillon's last time, I don't really see what Dillon brings to the table (other than an original moveset, which those other characters also would've brought) that outweighs his frankly more deserving competition, both new-series-wise and with already represented series, especially considering most of those characters that previously didn't get in (or new post-Brawl characters) still stand above Dillon (more than just those seven from the first category).

It's true that no character quite "has what other characters have", but I didn't say that, I said he isn't yet at the level of merit that the characters who will be included are at, even the ones from the second list. Sure he has potential, and he doesn't have absolutely zero chance, but given what Sakurai has previously turned down, two eShop appearances and fair popularity (only in some regions) doesn't really put him at a likely level. Yet. His competition either has appeared in more than two games, has significantly more overall popularity, a much larger audience, or have had games with much more impact. And in the case of several potential newcomers, a mix of these factors.

I don't hate Dillon or anything, in fact I would be very pleased if he got in, I just think his chances are being overrated. I agree being an AT is pretty inevitable though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I've been out of the loop for a while, but...is it really confirmed that Dillon's getting a sequel? I know it's been hinted at for a while.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I've been out of the loop for a while, but...is it really confirmed that Dillon's getting a sequel? I know it's been hinted at for a while.
It was officially confirmed in the February Nintendo Direct.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yes. Dillon's next game is "Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, okay. I missed the February one, apparently. Nice to know it's getting a sequel, though.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I think any character that is believed to be a shoe in assist trophy has got a decent shot at a playable chance.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little disappointed that his sequel will only be another eshop title considering the first game did well for it just being an eshop game, I really wanted it to be a full 3DS/WiiU title, but oh well, April 11 I guess I know what I'll be getting

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah well it's still something for him though. ^_^ Which reminds me as well. I still need to finish the first game. Gotta get on with it before Luigi's Mansion 2/Dark Moon comes out.

I'm happy he is getting another sequel (Why didn't they announce it in the EU direct though? Don't tell me their not releasing it over here).

I don't know which eShop hero I want to support more though. Dillon or Mallo... Their both awesome. Ah well I support and hope they both make it in (at least an assist trophy if not playable.).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@SmashChu
Yeah, I agree that most of those characters you listed do belong in those respective groups, and like usual it won't be just the characters from the top-tier of likelihood that get in, but I still don't think Dillon even really belongs in the second category. Looking at previous installments, Sakurai has been fairly picky when adding new non-retro series, and while the bar might be slightly lower this time around than it was previously due to the decreasing amount of viable "A-list" characters left, if he didn't find merit in including series with significantly more games/popularity/impact/higher reception/etc. than Dillon's last time, I don't really see what Dillon brings to the table (other than an original moveset, which those other characters also would've brought) that outweighs his frankly more deserving competition, both new-series-wise and with already represented series, especially considering most of those characters that previously didn't get in (or new post-Brawl characters) still stand above Dillon (more than just those seven from the first category).

It's true that no character quite "has what other characters have", but I didn't say that, I said he isn't yet at the level of merit that the characters who will be included are at, even the ones from the second list. Sure he has potential, and he doesn't have absolutely zero chance, but given what Sakurai has previously turned down, two eShop appearances and fair popularity (only in some regions) doesn't really put him at a likely level. Yet. His competition either has appeared in more than two games, has significantly more overall popularity, a much larger audience, or have had games with much more impact. And in the case of several potential newcomers, a mix of these factors.

I don't hate Dillon or anything, in fact I would be very pleased if he got in, I just think his chances are being overrated. I agree being an AT is pretty inevitable though.
Let's start with the bold.

"Sakurai is picky with new non-retro series." It's hard to say because this is the first game where we have new first party series that are fairly new (Pikmin was about 6 years old when Brawl came out). The series that came between Melee and Brawl were second party and include Golden Sun, Legend of Starfy, and Drill Dozer. With SSB4, we have a few series that are first party such as Xenoblade and the eShop games (including Dillon's Rolling Western). Also, these are Nintendo's first downloadable titles. So this is the first time the rules are being written. There is a lot more unique variables in this situation.

With the passing of each game, the bar lowers because the best character where captured in the last game. Characters in Melee could not make it in 64. Characters in Brawl could not make it in Melee. Characters in this could not make it in Brawl (and some didn't. Ridley and K. Rool were pretty popular during the Brawl days). Naturally, the additions are going to be more linient this time. Not only that, but we've hit a brick wall in terms of additions. The games are being made faster than new characters being created so we've hit a limit in terms of great new additions (this is likely what Sakurai meant by this). This means that characters can get away with a lot more, though there is still some criteria (notice how I didn't put down guys like Rosalina and Stylux). What you said about Dillon can be applied to the other characters. Some may think that Waddle Dee is also a standard enemy and not worthy of a Smash role. Waluigi has never had a major role in a game and has been a filler for a while. Samurai Goroh hasn't had a game in 9 years. And it may hard to justify Dixie with 3 other DK characters. Dillon has some weaknesses, but so does the rest of the pool. That's why they're there.

The reason I pair Dillon with the others is he is well liked, has a unique moveset and is a fresh new series. With the sequel, it seems Nintendo likes him enough to keep putting him in games. His weakness is that his game did not sell as well and it limits him exposure. Of course, a downloadable title is going to sell less than mainstream titles. The big issue is what will become of series that are downloable titles. This is the real question for Dillon. That is why I take a "wait and see," stance. There is enough here that his inclusion would not be surprising.

D

Deleted member

But is Dillon 1st Party?
Does Nintendo own the IP or does Vanpool?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
He is first party. I even read Nintendo's big team who made the Mario galaxy series helped with development.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
But is Dillon 1st Party?
Does Nintendo own the IP or does Vanpool?
It is. I posted a few posted backs.
http://dillonsrollingwestern.nintendo.com/
© 2012 Nintendo. Nintendo properties are trademarks of Nintendo.

It mentions only Nintendo. Go to other games, and the copyright includes both companies.

http://goldensun.nintendo.com/
© 2010 Nintendo/CAMELOT. Golden Sun and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2010 Nintendo.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By definition, a second party company is an independent company that exclusively develops for a certain platform. Vanpool however is a public company, and as such can freely develop for any platform that sees fit. So for argument sake, the Dillon's Rolling Western games are 2nd party titles. But simply barring the title is not exactly a death sentence, so don't fret just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom