• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difficulty in Waveshining Backwards

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Hi All,

Yeah, yeah. I can waveshine, perfect wavedash, and the like, but for some reason, I CANNOT perfect waveshine backwards. I have tried time after time after time and my fox ALWAYS does the first several frames of his jump animation.

How can I get more distance out of my backwards waveshine? Am I the only one that experiences this problem?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

Animal

Smash Lord
hmmm im not sure, concentrate on jumping first than wavedashing, repeat.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Same problem I'm kind of having. More than likely, you are just turning around, rather than waveshining.

For this problem, just make sure you press your jump button of choice before holding the backwards direction. Otherwise, you will just turn around. Just practice.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Waveshine normally except input the air dodge's direction as you press L or R. I actually see very little difference in actual timing (it might seem noticeably faster, but it's probably just your mind playing tricks because it might be a LITTLE faster in terms of the time frame between your jump and dodge) of the air dodge.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
@da_shuffle, it is not that I turn around. I keep my orientation.

You must understand: I can perfect waveshine across the stage time and time again going forwards. I understand the mechanics of waveshining. I have most certainly tried different timing, angle, etc. But for some strange reason, I cannot do it well enough to get a lot of distance.

Two problems I generally have:

1.) My jump animation shows the portion where Fox actually leaves the ground, making that somewhat zigzag motion instead of sliding motion
2.) Fox does not go full perfect wavedash length.

I will attempt to really focus on these two aspects and will update after I have, but I have THOROUGHLY tested this. Perhaps there is a block in my brain...

Thanks for the input.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
If you understand the mechanics of waveshining, then you know that what's happening is you're pressing R/L too late and/or not holding your control stick at the angle to get the longest possible wavedash. It's just a mental thing, dude.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, letting the control stick snap back to the neutral position before the WD (and after the shine) helps.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
For perfect backwards waveshines, I suggest resetting the joystick. down+b, stick back to neutral, direct stick again only after you have jumped for the wavedash.

This ensures you don't turn around during your shine. It also allows you to accurately select the most horizontal wavedash angle.

Waveshining in this way doesn't require a joystick reset though. As the other smashers in this thread have said, its probably just a temporary block you are having. If you can already do backwards waveshines (not full distanced), try your best to slightly adjust your angles so it gets noticeably longer. Its all a matter of seperating and understanding the inputs in your head, and breaking it down into steps. Once you've isolated the section in the technique that is giving you trouble, make a mental note of it - and remember to actively try to change that aspect of your game whenever you practice.

For the jump animation issue, remember: Fox's jump is really fast, and you need to hit a jump button and shield button almost simultaneously to cancel his jump so he doesn't "zigzag". When it comes to getting a real smooth wavedash with Fox, its all about closing the gap between the jump button and shoulder button wavedash timing.

FNF

Smash Rookie
hmm i have the same problem of turning around when waveshining--instead of sliding backwards backside first out of shine, i tend to face forward again. will try to incorporate advice.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
when you wavedash normally, it's

1.down diagonal with the control stick
2. jump
3.airdodge

in order to wavedash backward, the inputs should go like this:

1. jump (the control stick should be in the neutral position)
2. down diagonal w/ the control stick
3. airdodge

you need to jump slightly before inputting the direction or else you'll end up turning around and doing a normal forward wavedash. you can also practice wavedashing out of shield, since moving the control stick when in your shield just makes you dodge. this will force you to jump first.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Again, I can perfect wavedash backwords. I can't waveSHINE. And No, I do not turn around in my shine. It's just bad timing-.-
To clarify:

You can wavedash backwards perfectly, but you cannot waveshine backwards perfectly? Do you mean "full distanced" backwards waveshines or "smooth" backwards waveshines, as in not bumpy and sticking to the ground? Or is there something else I'm not thinking of that is giving you trouble?

Top Bottom