• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different way to edgehog with Mario

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing with Mario quite a bit and for people that are having trouble hugging, theres an easier way to do it with Mario but it's not necessarily better.

It's pretty simple, all you do is run off the edge and then cape towards the edge ASAP.

If Mario is doing the caping animation then grabbing, that means your doing it to slow or possibly to fast. I think it depends on when you run off the edge..
The animation should cancel really quick into a grab on the edge.

Again, this isn't necessarily better than hugging and it's pretty similar, but it works.

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
do people really have trouble hugging?

i thought it was pretty simple

but this method seems to be more of an insurance so that's cool

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
If done correctly (animataon ends almost immediatly) does it have cape's reflective properties or does it just grab the ledge?

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tested that out. It would be amazing if it did.

I'm gonna try testing it later today. Can anyone else try it out?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I normally just dash attack off the edge and then when I slide off the level hold back...but the cape might work better...I'll try it out and see if it keeps the turn around and whatnot

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
it doesn't seem to have the reflective properties

in case you're wondering i was testing with pikachu

the thundershock would just pass through me cuz of the invincibility frames.

then again my timing could've been off

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
it doesn't seem to have the reflective properties

in case you're wondering i was testing with pikachu

the thundershock would just pass through me cuz of the invincibility frames.

then again my timing could've been off
Thanks for figuring it out. I guess it would have been too amazing with reflection... (but the invincibility is still nice) But did you test it against projectiles that come straight towards Mario? (recovering Samus's missiles etc.)

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I was playing around with Metal docs instant edge grab technique, and it turns out you can use this same idea as a fake out!!! While hanging on the edge, smash the analog stick in the opposite direction of where the edge is (where mario's back is, smash it in that direction). Normally it will obviously let mario let go of the edge. To perfom mario's edgehog cape-fake (a little lame name I created), hang on the edge, smash in that direction away from the edge while at the very same time simultaneously pressing "b" once to perform a single cape (almost like exactly perfoming a forward smash attack with the "b" button while hanging on the edge). If done correctly, Mario will do a cape away from the edge and grab on back on instantly back on the edge immediately without moving away from the edge at all, thus possibly faking out an oponent! If you get the rhythm of this move right, you repetively perfom this fake somewhat quickly. Since your grabbing on the edge, repetively give you some slight invincibility frames every time you hang on for some protection, and this move can even work as a possible situational attack, especially if you follow this move with a bair off the edge or spamming a fireball off the edge or even surprising foes with a dair on the stage. A little gimmicky and also it may not be the perfect move or the most useful, but hey, it adds a little to mario's arsenal, and I was able to fake out my friends pretty good with this move. Give it a try and see if its something you'd like to add to your own book.:ohwell:

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was playing around with Metal docs instant edge grab technique, and it turns out you can use this same idea as a fake out!!! While hanging on the edge, smash the analog stick in the opposite direction of where the edge is (where mario's back is, smash it in that direction). Normally it will obviously let mario let go of the edge. To perfom mario's edgehog cape-fake (a little lame name I created), hang on the edge, smash in that direction away from the edge while at the very same time simultaneously pressing "b" once to perform a single cape (almost like exactly perfoming a forward smash attack with the "b" button while hanging on the edge). If done correctly, Mario will do a cape away from the edge and grab on back on instantly back on the edge immediately without moving away from the edge at all, thus possibly faking out an oponent! If you get the rhythm of this move right, you repetively perfom this fake somewhat quickly. Since your grabbing on the edge, repetively give you some slight invincibility frames every time you hang on for some protection, and this move can even work as a possible situational attack, especially if you follow this move with a bair off the edge or spamming a fireball off the edge or even surprising foes with a dair on the stage. A little gimmicky and also it may not be the perfect move or the most useful, but hey, it adds a little to mario's arsenal, and I was able to fake out my friends pretty good with this move. Give it a try and see if its something you'd like to add to your own book.:ohwell:
I think that this might be more useful as an edgeguard attack than as fakeout. Let's imagine that Samus flies off the stage. She shoots a missile to protect her return and/or to force you to get away from the edge. But if you're already hanging from the edge, you can use cape to rebel missile and still keep dominance of the edge. (if I understood correcly). Other possible usage: Fox is coming back and you hang from the ledge. Fox directs his up-b towards you forcing you to avoid. You do edgehog cape-fake and turn Fox around at the end of his attack. Normally he could DI to grab the ledge before you could prevent it, but since you never left, he falls to his doom. Yes, pretty situational, but might be useful and good to know.

And gamerkim28, if you could test that, it would be awesome. Thanks!

waru

Smash Rookie
Nice find.

Seems to be handy and comes easy with practice. What cHooKay discovered is also useful, as it is very brief and somewhat risk - free.

I am almost positive that if you do it right, you won't be able to reflect anything. The motion of the cape is too brief. If you carefully observe, you'll realize that the actual "switch" (reflection) happens when the sound effect is heard (the second, main one) and the special effects are visible (sparkles and the "dust circle" at his feet, which is the air getting rapidly pushed out of the way). Do it in 1/4 speed in training mode. None of these seem to happen when doing the aforementioned technique.

I've tried with a few projectiles, doesn't seem to have any effect on them.

Nevertheless, nice find.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
haha try experimenting the cape edgehogging tech in cruel multiman melee, I was able to get 17 off the back using this technique to dumbify the cpu...

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
im sorry half-split soul, im not going to be able to test it out due to some hardware problems with my wii

hopefully someone else in this thread can

but with the addition of chookay's ledge cape edgegaurd thing , i dont think its that big of a deal

but if no one does, i'll be a happy to try when i get my wii back

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
dude, that tech I came up with is completely situational at the most. It just depends on how you use it or not. For me, I use it for mind games so that great edge players wouldn't guess my every move. Pretty much just mindgames and that's it. Using it as an attack is almost as situational as FLUDD. As a situational example, I was able to prevent fox phatasm using both Metadocs tech and this move reflecting fox from grabbing on the edge, since he approached the edge straight on. Again its up to you guys if you want to use it or not, it wasn't made to be a vital asset in mario's playbook, just a little additional trick at the most.

Top Bottom