• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences in Echo Fighters

drj718

Smash Rookie
I've been playing as some of the Echo Fighters for a couple of days now (Dark Samus and Richter in particular) and I am still unsure what the difference is between them and their original fighters aside from aesthetics. Could we use this as a thread to explain technical differences between Echo Fighters and the characters they're based on?

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
From everything I've read and seen, the only difference between the Belmonts are in the color of the holy water flame, taunts and victory animations.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
From everything I've read and seen, the only difference between the Belmonts are in the color of the holy water flame, taunts and victory animations.
Yup.
Also apparently since Simon's fire is real fire it detonates Remote bombs, so on the off chance that matters, hey.

Technocrow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Technocrow
Switch FC
SW-6301-2597-8221
You can find a bit of info on this topic in the character specific forums for each echo fighter.

I'll try to make a comprehensive list here of all the differences:

Simon/Richter:
There's only one difference

Simon:
- Holy water is elemental:
- Red pikmin will not be effected
- Link's bombs will detonate when touched by flame

Peach/Daisy:

Daisy:
- She's shorter: it's theorized that her hitbox is smaller
- Side B takes 2 frames longer to wind up
- Has a faster Forward smash (needs to be double checked)
- Up tilt hitbox might be different because of the differing sizes between the heart and daisy

Pit/Dark Pit:

Pit:
- More versatile arrows: can be controlled easier but deal less damage

Dark Pit:
- Side-B deals more damage

Samus/Dark Samus:
[Some different movement maybe?]

Roy/Chrom:

Roy:
- Traditional rising up B

Chrom:
- Up B similar to Ike's

Marth/Lucina:
[Nothing I think?]

Ryu/Ken:
[Insert differences here]

**WILL EXPAND ON LATER**

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Ryu/Ken
-Ryu’s fireballs are stronger. Ken’s fireballs have images of his hands in them.
-Ryu’s Tatsu is a single-hit move, while Ken’s is multi-hit that does more damage.
-Ryu’s Shoryuken has a sweetspot and is a single-hit move, while Ken has a multi-hitting flaming version.
-Ryu’s Focus Attack is a punch, while Ken’s is a kick.
-Ryu has an extra special move in the form of a multihitting flaming fireball, while Ken has two extra specials that utilize his crazy kicks.
-Ken’s back throw travels farther than Ryu’s.
-Ken and Ryu have different normals.

Also, can anyone confirm that Simon and Richter’s dash attacks are different in that the former’s has a knockback hit?

Last edited:

Pali4

Smash Rookie
Yup.
Also apparently since Simon's fire is real fire it detonates Remote bombs, so on the off chance that matters, hey.
And red pikmin are immune to the real fire only. Such a nuance people think it’s a bug with richters flame.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wait, I thought the difference between Pit and Dark Pit's side specials was the launch angle (Dark Pit's launches at roughly a 45-degree angle while Pit's launches more upward). Also, Dark Pit's side special has an electric effect. The other difference is that Dark Pit's forward tilt has less knockback than Pit's. No, Dark Pit doesn't have increased knockback on another of his moves to compensate.

As for Lucina and Chrom, they both lack the sweetspots and sourspots of their counterpart.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Lucina's hitbox data is different across the board, though she's no longer shorter than Marth.

Dark Samus supposedly has a 3 frame difference on her forward roll. Her up smash is also better at catching opponents but her forward smash has slightly shorter range. Most of Samus' fire attacks are electric for Dark Samus also. She also feels floatier than her counterpart, enough that I was thrown off when playing her the first time.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Dark Samus's differences that we've discussed in the Dark Samus forum...

-Electric properties instead of fire for a lot of her attacks (missiles and bombs still retain the fire properties and seem to only be aesthetically different)

-Screw attack has electric properties throughout the attack (Samus only has electric properties on the final hit)

-faster dodge roll by 3 frames

-hitboxes on her usmash, fair? and dtilt may be slightly larger (still inconclusive since the difference is fairly small it seems) possibly due to the phazon animation that comes out instead of the explosion for Samus. (Fair is harder to test since both need to be aurbourne but it may be similar to the other phazon based attacks)

-vastly different animations change her hurtboxes compared to Samus, very noticable on her dodge roll and double jump since it makes Dark Samus a larger target on defense

-Dark Samus's floatiness is mostly an aesthetic difference since their frame data is mostly the same

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Here's all the differences I've found

Lucina:
- Sword has no tipper sweetspot or hilt sourspot; hitboxes are consistent all throughout

Dark Pit:
- Silver Bow deals more damage, but has a much more restrictive aim
- Electroshock Arm deals more damage and sends horizontally (and obviously has an electric effect, causing greater hitlag) compared to Upperdash Arm

Daisy:
Sadly, I couldn't find any differences between Peach and Daisy. Even their hurtboxes seem to be identical to each other despite minor animation differences in their walk, dash, and idle stances. I may be mistaken though.

Richter:
- Holy Water can kill Red Pikmin and will not cause explosives to instantly combust due to it being aura-based rather than fire-based

Chrom:
- Sword has no hilt sweetspot or tipper sourspot; hitboxes are consistent all throughout
- Has Ike's up-special

Dark Samus:
- Samus's fire attacks are replaced with electric attacks, causing greater hitlag, preventing explosives from instantly combusting, and allowing the moves to kill Red Pikmin in place of Yellow Pikmin
- Has a higher jump
- Has a generally larger hurtbox due to more exaggerated movements
- Has slightly less range on forward-smash
- Up-smash hits shorter opponents
- Has a faster forward and back roll

Ken:
- Runs and walks faster
- Hadoken deals less damage and does not have the Shakunetsu variant
- Shoryuken is fire-based and hits multiple times
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku hits multiple times
- Has a different back-throw similar to Pikachu
- Has a different hard jab
- Has a different hard forward-tilt
- Has a different forward-smash

Additional notes:
- While Dark Pit's forward-tilt had less knockback in Smash 4, this is no longer the case in Ultimate and it's now the same as Pit's
- It's a common misconception that Dark Samus is floatier than Samus, however their falls speeds are identical

Last edited:
Top Bottom