• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between Simon and Richter

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Fire colors, animations, taunts, victory pose?

That's all we've seen anyway.

Richter is an echo over being an alt maybe because it's just easier to hype him as his own character and they both rep a new franchise for smash. That's stupid so I hope I'm wrong and they are unique in some ways.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings

Richter is an echo over being an alt maybe because it's just easier to hype him as his own character and they both rep a new franchise for smash. That's stupid so I hope I'm wrong and they are unique in some ways.
Yes.

It’s heavily implied to be just the obligatory taunts and victory animations.

The idle stance and animations are different and the colour of the fire but that seems to be it :(

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's interesting how little we've seen of the differences between many of the new Echo Fighters and their counterparts besides animations. Chrom is the only clear one because of his different Up-B and Final Smash, but other than that we don't know much more about him or the others. Many of Dark Samus's energy attacks have electric properties instead of fire properties like Samus's moves, but that's all we know about her.

Guess we'll just have to wait and get our hands on the game this December to figure this stuff out. I'd like to hope that the differences between Echo Fighters this game are a little more substantial than in Smash 4.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's interesting how little we've seen of the differences between many of the new Echo Fighters and their counterparts besides animations. Chrom is the only clear one because of his different Up-B and Final Smash, but other than that we don't know much more about him or the others. Many of Dark Samus's energy attacks have electric properties instead of fire properties like Samus's moves, but that's all we know about her.

Guess we'll just have to wait and get our hands on the game this December to figure this stuff out. I'd like to hope that the differences between Echo Fighters this game are a little more substantial than in Smash 4.
Trying to explain such relatively minute differences would likely bore and/or fly over the heads of more casual viewers.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Trying to explain such relatively minute differences would likely bore and/or fly over the heads of more casual viewers.
The differences can be explained nicely in a short video snippet. Maybe they will do that leading to Ken’s reveal.

I HAVE spotted possible Daisy differences from Peach for example, but I can’t say for sure due to the nature of the development.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The differences can be explained nicely in a short video snippet. Maybe they will do that leading to Ken’s reveal.

I HAVE spotted possible Daisy differences from Peach for example, but I can’t say for sure due to the nature of the development.
Ken will probably be a tad more elaborate as an echo than most realize. Two of Ryu's normals (fsmash and heavy ftilt) are moves normally exclusive to him, so there's a good chance Ken will get completely different moves to replace them.

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
So if you haven't seen, Spain got a demo with the whole roster and had a lot of info to report back. Someone has compiled a bunch of the info on Reddit (thread here).

Of note in there: apparently there are differences between Simon & Richter, but they're not known yet. I'll be interested to see what comes of that info.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I could argue that he's more his own character in this game - since he at least brings in his own moves for Simon. I can't entirely get used to Daisy using Peach's moveset kit in the same vein.

Last edited:

Judd

Smash Rookie
You're pronouncing it correctly. It's rik-ter.
I'm German and I have to say that this pronounciation is wrong. Not gonna blame anyone though because you pronounce these vocals in a other way we do :) The way we pronounce "ch" is similar to how English speakers pronounce "sh". So the correct way to pronounce it would be Rish-ter

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
According to people who played the full version at that convention in Spain, Richter and Simon have noticeable differences, they just haven't been documented yet.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well it's been a while. I'm still interested in knowing atleast some of the differences in these characters.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
According to people who played the full version at that convention in Spain, Richter and Simon have noticeable differences, they just haven't been documented yet.
Did they mention what exactly these noticeable differences are between Simon and Richter?

Last edited:

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
According to Gamexplain, Simon is heavier/slower than Richter.

I'd take this with a grain of salt until we have documented data though; they don't say anything really concrete and in my experience it's easy to fool yourself about this sort of thing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I'd take this with a grain of salt until we have documented data though; they don't say anything really concrete and in my experience it's easy to fool yourself about this sort of thing.
The guys at Nintendolife seem to think Simon is heavier too. Not likely it's a big difference given they're echoes but it is another source.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight

If that's the case, than it's likely that Simon will be more suited towards a defensive zoning playstyle whereas Richter will be more suited towards more of an aggressive zoning playstyle.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If that's the case, than it's likely that Simon will be more suited towards a defensive zoning playstyle whereas Richter will be more suited towards more of an aggressive zoning playstyle.
Seems to make sense considering the less "weighty" gameplay control on Richter in RoB as opposed to Simon, allowing for better movement, hence how he could work as aggressive zoner. Neat.

Last edited:

MegaDeltaXZ

Smash Rookie
I sincerely hope this isn't the case, Simon will then be immediately worse than Richter and I plan on maining Simon... Oh well I guess we just have to wait...

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I sincerely hope this isn't the case, Simon will then be immediately worse than Richter and I plan on maining Simon... Oh well I guess we just have to wait...
I don't think so. Richter and Simon both have the same movesets since they are echo fighters so their playstyles should technically be the same as well. It just comes down to how you play them.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I don't think so. Richter and Simon both have the same movesets since they are echo fighters so their playstyles should technically be the same as well. It just comes down to how you play them.
Being heavier and slower are almost never good traits to have in a Smash game together. Brawl Snake was fine but would have been even better if he was faster. Being heavier means more combos work on you and you have harder time getting in/getting away with the lower speed. If these differences also apply to their airspeed and fall speed, Simon is going to automatically have a worse recovery as well. Melee Ganondorf is essentially a slower/heavier Falcon and we all see how that turned out.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Their movesets are completely identical except cosmetically from my experience. I can test weight and movespeed tomorrow.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Being heavier and slower are almost never good traits to have in a Smash game together. Brawl Snake was fine but would have been even better if he was faster. Being heavier means more combos work on you and you have harder time getting in/getting away with the lower speed. If these differences also apply to their airspeed and fall speed, Simon is going to automatically have a worse recovery as well. Melee Ganondorf is essentially a slower/heavier Falcon and we all see how that turned out.
Ganondorf is not an echo of Falcon, and any attribute differences between echos are very minimal. What are the odds we'd know Ken was faster if it wasn't pointed out to us or we didn't do a side-by-side comparison?

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Ganondorf is not an echo of Falcon, and any attribute differences between echos are very minimal. What are the odds we'd know Ken was faster if it wasn't pointed out to us or we didn't do a side-by-side comparison?
I didn't say Ganondorf was an echo of Falcon, but you can't tell me he isn't a clone. Even if the changes are minimal, what I said is still true and Simon will likely end up worse than Richter if speed and weight are the only changes, even if it's just by a little bit like how Dark Pit is only slightly worse than Pit in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Testing their weight with Mewtwo sweetspot Fsmash and Upthrow.

Vs Simon, Fsmash KOes at 81%., Upthrow at 152% (They very hard to kill off the top).
Vs Richter I got the exactly same amounts, so they are identical in this respect.

Their run speed seems to be the same, as well as the damage on any move I've checked.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight

Vs Simon, Fsmash KOes at 81%., Upthrow at 152% (They very hard to kill off the top).
Vs Richter I got the exactly same amounts, so they are identical in this respect.

Their run speed seems to be the same, as well as the damage on any move I've checked.
Are you sure that Simon and Richter are the same in terms of weight and speed? Cuz that contradicts what Gamexplain said about Simon being slower and heavier than Richter.

Were there any differences in performance between Simon and Richter that you could find?

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman

I've yet to find ANY differences that aren't just cosmetic at all. My test showed they are pretty much the same weight. Their moves deal the same damage... If there's a difference it's probably minute that I can't notice it without seeing the frame data.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Are you sure that Simon and Richter are the same in terms of weight and speed? Cuz that contradicts what Gamexplain said about Simon being slower and heavier than Richter.

Were there any differences in performance between Simon and Richter that you could find?
Kurogane hammer just released weight and run stats, and they are the same for teh belmonts. so.. unless teh difference lies on framedata or walkspeed .. which i don't think so.. the reason of why they feel different is:

Pure Placebo.

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
So for what very little it's worth, Simon might be the tiniest bit taller? I took the two of them and Fox to Moray Towers, stuck Simon behind Richter on the top-right, and then had Fox slowly walk down the ramp towards them shooting his blaster. I found a height at which, depending on where Simon was in the "breathing" part of his idle animation, the lasers would hit him but would almost always go over Richter's head.

Now, this could literally just be that Simon's "breathing" idle animation stretches him a bit higher than Richter and there is no size difference at any other time; I'm not really equipped to test that. I'm also not sure if Richter is a little wider or anything to "compensate."

Last edited:

Muramasa96

Smash Rookie
One thing is their down b
Richters with float to the ground in a straight line diagonally down
Simon's will go forward then drop straight down

Last edited:

MasterMarine1993

Smash Rookie
I find Richter easier to control. I played with Simon, and found him very hard to control in the air (because that's how he was in his original game). With Richter, I find him much better to fight with.

veovis

Smash Rookie
I find Richter easier to control. I played with Simon, and found him very hard to control in the air (because that's how he was in his original game). With Richter, I find him much better to fight with.
this is probably just a placebo because kuroganehammer has both their air speed and air acceleration listed as the same. or kuroganehammer is wrong, but i doubt it.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
this is probably just a placebo because kuroganehammer has both their air speed and air acceleration listed as the same. or kuroganehammer is wrong, but i doubt it.
Tbf, Doc and Mario are listed with the same stats so it's *possible* for the stat differences not to be there

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
One thing is their down b
Richters with float to the ground in a straight line diagonally down
Simon's will go forward then drop straight down
I see no difference when testing in training mode.

It's going to be really lame if Simon/Richter and Daisy/Peach are identical to play.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Is this truly all there is?

That's disappointing. I was hoping for more variety here and all they needed to do was change some weight or KB values around here and there to greatly vary their playstyles.

God knows, if Chrom is an echo of Roy despite his massive differences, there's no reason Simon and Richter couldn't have a few notable ones...

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Is this truly all there is?

That's disappointing. I was hoping for more variety here and all they needed to do was change some weight or KB values around here and there to greatly vary their playstyles.

God knows, if Chrom is an echo of Roy despite his massive differences, there's no reason Simon and Richter couldn't have a few notable ones...
There will more than likely be other things

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Tbf, Doc and Mario are listed with the same stats so it's *possible* for the stat differences not to be there
Dr. Mario uses +attack and -speed equipment to get his balance differences, so it's hard to determine his stats.

Top Bottom