• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy vs Falco?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
lots of naners.. lol. diddy is one of the few characters that has a projectile set as annoying and rewarding as falco does. Diddy also is light years faster, more mobile, and has a better recovery. as far as dealing with falco onstage, i would use bananas smartly, and try to get grabs. Grabs for diddy on falco can set up everything. you shouldnt have too much of a problem getting them as long as you place your naners carefully and capitalize on every oportunity you get. I would actually argue that this MU goes possibly in diddys favor. (its definitely at least even though).

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
You didn't explain how to approach :falco: tho? What do I do about a :falco: that is single short hop lasering me at max distance? How do I combat/approach that?

:018:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Same way everyone approaches Falco... patiently shield his lasers until he makes a punishable mistake. Most falcos won't sit there and short hop laser you at max distance, they're going to want to go in and pressure you with shine before you get a random banana trip on them.

This matchup is basically an offensive ****fest, Diddy juggles the crap out of Falco but Falco combos the crap out of Diddy when he gets a shine, since Diddy's a fast faller. It's Diddy's job to be the more overwhelming offensive force... if he does that, he wins

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I like to go to larger stages where I can mitigate the pressure that lasers create (Skyworld, Ps2, dreamland, lylat, even skyloft, smashville, and battle field). We don't have anything like peach's full hop Float or rob's side-b to get through laser camping, so I like to try to play the neutral like I would as fox, a lot of full hops and platform movement mixed with dash-dancing and attempted powershields. Powershield> AGT is a really really good option to close distance and gain some control of the stage back, and it isn't too difficult especially at larger distances. Another thing to look at is lasers scale down to <1% really fast now, so you'll have a lot more time to try to work your way through them. IIRC if he shoots them at the highest distance you can just run under them, and if he drops them lower you can approach with SH>anything to gain some more space, so a lot of the burden in the neutral in on us to recognize what he is doing and react. Be careful to not do anything to risky against him because if the falcos are good at shine OoS nothing is really safe. Shffl alot of nairs around because is any of them hit the juggle is free. If you know you're going to get shined, DI HARD left or right, with good timing at higher percents it will cause him to drop the combo, and force him to just try to keep the pressure through lasering where you're going to land. still a bad situation but you still have your stock.

I would avoid small stage/blatzones but it depends on your play and the falcos. If you're decent at mitigating the control lasers bring/ the falco doesn't like to spam lasers, FD is a great stage. He does get better combos on you as theres no platforms but you can just juggle him zero to death. Wario Ware puts you guys really close and works as a good stage if the falco prefers lasers as he doesn't have as much room. just be wary because the small blastzones hurt you a lot more, he can end combos early with shine>bair and still just take the stock.

Larger blastzones give you more opportunities to recover, and is falco is recovering at max distance the gimp won't be hard. IF falco has to drop even to/below the ledge, just grab it: it covers side-b sweet spot, and then you have all the time in the world to ledge drop bair him out of up-b. When he recovers high its a bit harder, early side-bs have to be dealt with on reaction, but you can grab/smash him on landing most of the time. If he up-bs from above the ledge I like to just turn around and jump, if he goes high you can land and chase him down, if he goes right at you you can nair/uair/bair, if he goes for the ledge you can fall and hit him with a well timed bair. Try to recover high (side-b early, double jump >horizontal up-b early aiming for platforms is what I like to go for) so you don't have to deal with lasers taking jumps or side-b, and the burden to sweetspot while he shffls dairs isn't as large.

Don't let him go to Yoshis unless you're confident that you're just going to outplay the falco anyway.

His reflector is lagless so be wary about that as well, if he is playing super campy he can just reflect our projectiles and then begin lasering immediately after.

Its slightly in Falco favor, I think it ranges from 60/40 him to 55/45 us based on stages and the styles of the falco and the diddy.

Just take him to skyworld and make him cry.

Not super good at executing the matchup myself, but once falco stops playing campy it just turns into a bloodbath and it boils down to who has better hit-confirms and stock-confirms.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Soft Serve, you think it's Falco's favor? I feel like Diddy gimps him very, very badly and they both combo each other.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'll agree that the punish game is extreme on both sides. Most characters gimp falco really badly as well, but that doesn't stop him from being a good character. It might just be person gripes about falco, but I don't think Falco match ups have "neutral games" like most do. Its literally always on the non-falco character to have to deal with lasers or pressure and figure out counter-play, so falco is almost always at an advantage in the "neutral." The game shifts very very opposite once a punish game begins as every character has obscene punishes on falco. But In my opinion Falco doesn't have neutral games, he has situations where he is forcing the opponent to respect all of his options and play to his control if the game, and then situations where he messed up and is getting juggled, tech chased, or killed. Falco can and does get put into situations where he is at a massive disadvatage in neutral, but they normally require a read to set up the positioning during a tech chase or similar movements, while all falco has to do is retreat a bit and short hop laser.
Samus isn't Diddy but this video is a great example of campy falcos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1izwXbV1ac

I think its in falco favor, stage dependent based on where we take falco to mitigate his control over the pace of the game. There are definitely places where I think diddy has a clear advantage, but in most situations falco has an edge.

Its an incredibly explosive matchup and it pretty much revolves around If the diddy can handle Falco's attempts at opening him up, and convert on mistakes that falco makes enough times to take 4 stocks.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I play this with DEHF. Our onstages are so similar that its hard to tell who has the advantage. I'll write more on this later

Top Bottom