• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

diddy recovering issues?

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yeah but will we have enough time to charge it when we're sent flying, or do you just have to hope you had it charged abit before you got hit? wait, i wonder if you could possibly even start charging it and then save it and then keep charging like samus did with her neautral b...peace

-Ggah

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you dont have "complete control" when you fully charge it, not by a long shot

you go up and you can turn a little bit to the sides

i dont know where this complete control rumor started but its completely false

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
i dont know where this complete control rumor started but its completely false
It's the internet. The internet is like the ultimate game of Telephone. But unlike Telephone, no one laughs at how hilariously misinterpreted the original message ended up; they only weep.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
From the vids i have seen, it seems that diddy, with a low charge or not fully charge, can angle his direction much like a fire fox. And with the auto grab on the ledge, it seems you can sweet spot with him everytime, avoiding going above the ledge and having your **** owned. But i'm not sure, i only saw like one vid with that example.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
all i know is that bowser can point his firebreath straight down and it knocks diddy right off of his jetpacks and down so his over b doesn't make it back lol

poor diddy, the fire is too much for him XD

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
man, bowser is broken...... jk, but still, it seems diddy will be somewhat like falco in terms of a bad recovery. Now if only he also had shp (short hop peanut), then the two could really be compared. But then again, that's only wishful thinking.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
yea dude sometimes it doesnt come of... u also have side B when the jetpack flies off... read oteher forums b4 making a psot
i know nto all moves remove his jet pack and i know his side b can also be used for recovery. but the up+b issue still hurst diddy a bit in his overall gameplay. i still think he is going to be atleast highmid though....

oh and to the last guy that posted, you cant short hop peanut. doing b moves in the air doesnt cancel them anymore...peace

-Ggah

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
man, bowser is broken...... jk, but still, it seems diddy will be somewhat like falco in terms of a bad recovery. Now if only he also had shp (short hop peanut), then the two could really be compared. But then again, that's only wishful thinking.
Nah, i know that the cancellation of b moves like falco's laser is gone. I just said if he had it, then he and falco would be more alike. Like my quote says at the end, wishful thinking.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Hopefully they fix that, because it could pose a real problem. At least he (I believe) has a wall jump, so that helps somewhat.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
yes he was. and just go to general brawl discusion, go to the official gameplay thread and pick and vid with diddy. you should see his up+b atleast. i've seen it numerous times already. oh, and when its charaged up, he goes pretty dam fast....peace

-hiroshi

Destructioncalls

Smash Cadet
Hmm am i missing something here.... Last time i checked if someone hits u during ur up B that means ur able to do it again. Well thats how it is in melee, did they take that out or something? I mean i know when diddy gets hit his jet pack flys off his back, so does that mean he can't do it again like everyone else?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Yeah, he did feel similar to Falco in terms of his upB. But don't forget ppl; HE'S GOT THE HIGHEST UPB OF ANY1 IN ANY SMASH GAME, EVER!. Least I think so. >_> Anyways, when I think about it more and more, when ppl become accustomed to their char's and are more comfortable w/going off the edge to edgegaurd etc, it seems like it will become a little strenuous for him. Again, like Falco. I can't remember having my jetpack knoced off once, but like I said, I'm sure it'll begin to happen more later. His overB doesn't have TOO bad of distance; I'd say about 3/4 of Falco's, and no you don't get to do anything afterwards till you land. From the 1st impressions I'd say he's got on of the best recoveries in the game, but again, that could change come release. We'll have to wait and see...

Luigi player

Smash Master
One of the best recoveries? lol

If he can only use his upB once and then only forward B that REALLY sucks.

It might be the highest upB if you charge it up for the longest time, but it won't help him too much. You can only choose 4 different ways of your upB:

1st: uncharged (you'd go straight up)
2nd: a little charged and to the platform
3rd: full or nearly full charged and only up
4th: full or nearly full charged and to the platform

If you're too far away you can forget the first one. So that leaves Diddy with only 3 ways of what he can do to recover, but if the enemy knows all the possible ways and how fast it goes, then he'll probably get the right timing to stop you and hit you during the upB. Then you can overB, but if your enemy knows good enough how it works and he probably also knows that you'll do it, he most likely can stop you and hit you far away so you can't get back.

It seems to me like if Diddy got thrown away from the platform it's nearly impossible to come back if he has too much damage (would probably be about 60%).
But I guess the air dodge will help him a little bit...

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
*Brawl Disclaimer*: Remember, this is speculation. I'm not claiming to know anything, just what I gathered from 3 days of a demo.

Luigi Player:
Umm...

Pretty much all char's can only use their upB once, and most can't overB afterwards either, including Diddy, pretty sure. I think only Pit and MK can, from what I remember, but don't quote me on that. Also, from what you're saying, I think you can maneuver his upB more than you think. It's not just 1 basic direction like F/F; you can control it a decent amount mid-flight. And with it's auto-hog properties, it's not as easy to edgegaurd as you're making it sound. Something that hits below the ledge is the only way to hit you out of it if you're coming from beneath the stage. Given, I'm not saying there aren't a lot of char's that can do that well, (have good edgegaurding moves) just that it's def a bonus. And also, remember his overB has two options: It can be turned into a sex kick if you atck before it's 1/2 way through or so, (this doesn't give THAT much of an advantage, but it's definitely something) so if they come out to atk you they'll have to use a move with greater range/priority to stuff it, or at least cancel it out. If you do then you can grab the ledge after his foot withdraws, like a normal aerial. And if you don't don't press anything, it's a grab. This of course his isn't as useful if you're being intercepted, but it does give you an extra option, which is never a negative thing. Plus you can possibly pull of a Molestor, and who doesn't wanna do that!? MRITE? And LOL @ 60%. You obviously didn't play the demo. Most char's weren't getting knocked off far enough to the point where an edgegaurd would even be useful till around 120%. I didn't say he had the BEST recovery, but I don't think it will be shabby at all...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wow luigi man makes GROSSLY inaccurate assumptions about a game he's never played

nick, you can knock diddy out of his up b with some moves and then he cant up b again after he gets hit, not every move does that, but if you knock the barrels off him he cant use another up b

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Gimpy: How high does his Up-B go charged and uncharged, comparitively speaking to other Up-B's?

Would it be feasible to do the fully charged Up-B farther out then steer it up and over the stage?

Also, does he go into unresponsive animation after completing Up/side-b?

Luigi player

Smash Master
*Brawl Disclaimer*: Remember, this is speculation. I'm not claiming to know anything, just what I gathered from 3 days of a demo.

Luigi Player:
Umm...

Pretty much all char's can only use their upB once, and most can't overB afterwards either, including Diddy, pretty sure. I think only Pit and MK can, from what I remember, but don't quote me on that. Also, from what you're saying, I think you can maneuver his upB more than you think. It's not just 1 basic direction like F/F; you can control it a decent amount mid-flight. And with it's auto-hog properties, it's not as easy to edgegaurd as you're making it sound. Something that hits below the ledge is the only way to hit you out of it if you're coming from beneath the stage. Given, I'm not saying there aren't a lot of char's that can do that well, (have good edgegaurding moves) just that it's def a bonus. And also, remember his overB has two options: It can be turned into a sex kick if you atck before it's 1/2 way through or so, (this doesn't give THAT much of an advantage, but it's definitely something) so if they come out to atk you they'll have to use a move with greater range/priority to stuff it, or at least cancel it out. If you do then you can grab the ledge after his foot withdraws, like a normal aerial. And if you don't don't press anything, it's a grab. This of course his isn't as useful if you're being intercepted, but it does give you an extra option, which is never a negative thing. Plus you can possibly pull of a Molestor, and who doesn't wanna do that!? MRITE? And LOL @ 60%. You obviously didn't play the demo. Most char's weren't getting knocked off far enough to the point where an edgegaurd would even be useful till around 120%. I didn't say he had the BEST recovery, but I don't think it will be shabby at all...
Um... every character can upB forever >_> (if they got hit they can do it again...). If Diddy get's hit and his jetpack barrels fall off, he can't do it again... and the only thing Diddy can do if he got hit during his upB is his overB to try and go back to the stage. That's what I meant.

And didn't gimpyfish say that you can't control him except where he will fly?

But I guess you have a point that it's good that the auto-hog thing is in now... that'll probably help him.

And with the 60 % I meant if he got hit away... and tries to get back... he probably double jumps, but maybe the enemy can hit him again, or Diddy already did his double jump and then he has to do his upB to recover...

Yes I never played the demo >_>
And what do you mean with 120%? That's a little bit too much, no?

I mean the more I play Melee the more I see that the characters live up to 150%+ most of the time ... and from what I've seen in the Brawl vids it's about the same if not less there ...
Yes, the fights in Melee were free for alls, but so were the fights in Brawl, right?

And maybe my assumptions aren't accurate or whatever, but that's what I think after all the imprissions...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
not on full charge

nick is right, he played a lot of diddy, people who didn't play any diddy, or any brawl, should not correct what he says

on full charge diddys goes way furtehr than any up b we've seen in smash before

WAY further

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
*Puffs up chest* LoL

No, but seriously.

Gimpy: I know that if they get knocked off he can't do it again. What do you think I am, a coconut-head?

Luigi Man: "every character can upB forever (if they got hit they can do it again"
Yeah thanks, I didn't know that. -_-'

"I mean the more I play Melee the more I see that the characters live up to 150%+ most of the time ... and from what I've seen in the Brawl vids it's about the same if not less there ...
Yes, the fights in Melee were free for alls, but so were the fights in Brawl, right?"

Farse. You've been playing in FFA? Is that what you're saying? Cause most char's don't last till around 150%. Given, they could, at any point in time, live till 2 something, but generally, no, I wouldn't say that's accurate at all. And yes, obviously you can only control which way he will fly. What else did you think I was saying?

Brahma: Read previous posts, they've all been answered multiple times before. His uncharged upB goes about 1/2 the height of YS, from the bottom of level to the main platform. Fully charged is highest ever, I thnk. And yes, he enters the tumbling animation afterwards.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
yea diddy was in the demo im sure cause ive seen videos of him playing and of the char selection screen with his pic :)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hmm... well, at first I too thought that in Brawl everyone lives longer... but really the more I play Melee the more everyone lives (lol, could be because now I look more on the % when I die than usually) ... maybe not in competitive play... but who played the Brawl demo competitively? >_>

But the floatiness makes it easier to recover and that probably means they'll live longer.
Also a thing I saw in the Brawl vids: In Melee if you lay the floor (when you got thrown or something) or hang on the edge, you do your normal attack until 100% damage. Then you do your weaker, much slower attack, but in Brawl this happens at 150%!

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
He has a weird recovery. When you simply tap the up b button, he goes straight up, and you can't choose the direction. But when u charge it, you can go diagonal, or whatever direction you want to go.

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
I get the idea that diddy can't use his over-b twice while in the air, but what if he cancels it into a sex kick, can he still not use it again? if he can he could recover a lot of horizontal distance using it continuously.

Another thing to find out would be if he does actually have a wall jump, and how that would work in conjunction with his upb. For instance, maybe he could upb > wall jump > upb again. Or maybe even wall jump after he gets hurt by bowser's fire and then be able to upagain?

Or maybe since hes a monkey he can actually climb walls and we just haven't discovered it yet :D

Diddy&Dixie4evr

Smash Apprentice
CAn't his b^ be charged to like links, does tha mean he goes higher. I also wonder will the jetpack do the same as his pop gun (blow up). Well it won't stop me from playing as him.

Top Bottom